Notices
Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

Behind the controls with Bob Hoover

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:27 PM
ShoestringRacer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Behind the controls with Bob Hoover

I posted a video of Robert A. "Bob" Hoover pouring tea through a roll here a few years ago...even though most of you had likely already seen it. I saw another one of him with a lot of footage from inside the Shrike I thought was worth posting.

(It's sort of sadly ironic that so many pilots have met their demise dealing with an engine failure on a piston twin, and here is Bob Hoover dancing a twin around the sky on one then none engines.)

To say Bob Hoover is one of the greats is an understatement. His book "Forever Flying" is a great read.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PftNh_SShlg

A very recent video of Bob Hoover about his life.

"Bob Hoover Legend of Aviation":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B09nW...eature=related

pouring tea upsidedown if you haven't seen it already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZBca...eature=related

Old 05-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Behind the controls with Bob Hoover

I've been in love with the Shrike Aerocommander for many, many years. I wish somebody would make a kit for 25-35cc gas engines. That would be a nice big plane, but still small enough to transport reasonably. All the reliability of gas engines with the size to fly good and present well in the air.

Great links Shoestring!!
Old 05-20-2009, 09:47 AM
clpahodges
My Feedback: (3)

I have had the distinct pleasure of seeing Bob Hoover do his Shrike routine on two different occasions. To say it is amazing does not do the routine or the man justice. He is truly a remarkable pilot. A true stick and rudder pilot.

Thanks for posting these video links.

Bill Hodges
Old 06-09-2009, 04:40 PM
ShoestringRacer

Yes, the Shrike is a beautiful airplane that certainly would make a nice model. The wing does have a lot of performance; I wonder how a model would fare in a singleengine routine a la Bob Hoover. If you could feather a prop it would be pretty good I bet!

Not that I've flown one but the Shrike is a nice performer. You couldn't do that routine in a Seminole or Seneca or probably even a Baron. Out of curiosity of the airframesI would liked to have seenwhat Hoover could have done with them. It would be far less impressive I'm sure because of those fat wings. You would just use up the stored energy much faster I think.

I also saw Hoover fly a few times in the 90's.What I thought was really cool, in addition to his flight, wasthe noise the air made when he flew,I mean glided,by with them both shut down. You can hear that in the vids too. Really neat when you are that close to the runway like I was in Sussex, NJ.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:44 AM
Grampaw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks a bunch for Posting the Bob Hoover piece. I sat here earlier tonight absolutely in awe watching those videos. I had only seenone video of Hoover before,in his Mustang. But afterseeingwhat hewas able to do with that Shrike I have a much greater appreciation of the man's talents.I'm sure to have actually seen him perform in person would be even better.That, to me, was flyingin it's purest form.

Many beginning RC pilots, and many who have lots of "stick time" could learn something from watching one of Hoover's "Dead Stick" routines. Too many RC pilots fly their whole flightsat full throttle,thencome barreling down still on High, to chop that throttleafter crossing the threshold of the runway and beginthe fightto get that model to(and I'm paraphrasinganold WWII erasong here)"straighten up and fly right!" But then, I'm just an"Old Foaggie," sowhat do I know.

When my wife called me to Supper, I went to the tablewith asmile on my face,and she said, "Ididn'tmake any of your favorites, so what's with the gleam?" I said Ihad beenwatching an old Geezer named Hooverdancing with hisairplane." Her response..."Shoulda known." Life is good. Grampaw
Old 06-18-2009, 01:07 PM
JCoop
My Feedback: (1)

I, too, have been lucky enough to have witnessed the unmatched flying prowess of this fine gentleman. His engine out maneuvers routine is truly amazing. It is like watching a r/c pattern schedule full scale, but smoother.  Unbelievable. After landing, I stood in line for this man's autograph and all I could say when I shook his hand was: I wish I could fly like you, sir.  All he said was..."You can..."
Old 06-27-2009, 02:02 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Good stuff,,