RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Airplanes - Full Scale (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/airplanes-full-scale-255/)
-   -   I'm finally going to be able to take lessons! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/airplanes-full-scale-255/3466896-im-finally-going-able-take-lessons.html)

iflynething 10-18-2005 12:26 PM

I'm finally going to be able to take lessons!

I have been struggling the past 3-4 years trying to get some sort of flying lessons from somewhere. I have been searching for the best prices around here where I live in North Carolina. I finally found some great places that were really laid back and were very nice and cheap. Were I was going, it was $100+ for a lesson and that was just rediculous.

My grandmaw and parents were paying for some lessons but I only have about 3 1/2 hours in my log book. It was just to expensive for anyone to pay so finally I bid on something on the internet that is worth $21,000 and I won for $255 and I'm hoping to re-sell for a couple thousand dollars, (like $3,000 or so)

But, anyways, to get to the point, I was going to get a RC Jet with this money, but realized that gettin full scale lessons would be beter. I figured here is my chance to live my dream and say that I can fly a plane and get my private license so I might as well take it.

I'm only 16 and I was cutting grass but I broke my back and can't do that anymore. So no money. I"m hoping to get my private and go from there. My grandmaw said that she wants to go to Myrtle Beach, SC, eat dinner and come back home when I can fly. Or go to the beach for a weekend or something and just fly back, not having to drive. I just thought I'd share this with everyone. I'm hoping to get alot for this Engine Analyzer that I won (for car cars) so I can get my lessons.

~Michael~

Wayne22 10-18-2005 12:38 PM

RE: I'm finally going to be able to take lessons!

Good luck.. you have a long road ahead of you, but you have lots of time (I think you have to be 18 before you can get your license anyways..) It does take money as you have found out, but a determined spirit will find a way to make it happen...

Ed Toner 10-18-2005 01:20 PM

I would suggest that you plan for college at this time. You are 16, and eager, so try for admission to either the USNA, USAFA, or USMMA.

In your 4th year, apply for flight training. In these Academy's, you get paid while getting educated, and you will be paid for the best flight training available upon graduation.

If you decide against this, or fail to qualify, then I would suggest the ROTC program at the college of your choice that offers it.

If you just want to fly for the sake of flying, prepare yourself for a high paying job such as union electrician, plumber, or other trade. There are a lot of high paying jobs in the medical field such as technicians for the increasingly complex equipment being used nowadays.

I have a nephew who is exceptionally intelligent, who has his PhD, and works for a large hospital repairing, testing, and installing these devices, and he makes more than he could as a college prof.

Good luck, in any event, and "be careful out there."

Robinaire 10-18-2005 01:47 PM

Hi Michael; Back in the early '40s, it was just as tough to come up with 9 bucks an hour for instruction as it is for coming up with bigger bucks today! I paid 9 for dual, and 6 for solo. I could only come up with enough for 1/2 hr per week of instruction. Today you have a lot more to learn than I did in an old J-3 Cub. Having been an American Aviation dealer, FBO Flt. instructor charter pilot etc, I was amazed when I went over my original log book and looked at entries like "intro to spins"--at 2 hours!! And first supervised solo at 4 hrs, 35 mins!! But I had a super instructor who was not "wet behind the ears" so to speak. Find yourself a CFI who is in excess of 60 years old and you are apt to get great benefit from lots of experience. I'm pushing 80 (next March 21) but still pass class 2 commercial medical, and wish I could renew my CFI. I regret having let it go, and now it would cost me a small fortune to get it back!! But, I've had a great time in the flying business, and wouldn't have missed it for the world! Oh yes, I started building models in 3rd grade, about 1935, and grew up around the Conway, PA airport, which was a 2.5 mile walk EACH WAY! I practically lived there during the summer months. But I agree with the gentleman who said "get a good technical education" which will allow you to support this great hobby (FULL SCALE AND MODEL!) A few years from now, the model turbines will make todays look sick!!! GO FOR IT!!! Lee Robinson West Palm Beach, FL. Incidentally, my retirement business is custom building model retractable landing gear.

iflynething 10-18-2005 02:11 PM

Well acutally, I'm going into the Air Force Academy. Well planning anyways. I have good grades and no troulbe for me. I think I could get my license at 16. I'm not sure though. The AF has been my focus since I was 5 years old, and it's not going to change! I love flying and that's been my passion like I said for over 10 years.

I'm also in ROTC right now in high school (Air Force) and love that.

I would just like to get my private right now, or would that be a wise idea. Or just wait like you said and get it in like my 4th year of AFA? Either way, I'd love to get my Private as soon as possible.

Thanks for the support guys.

~Michael~`

ajvpb 10-22-2005 03:44 PM

you can solo at 16 and get your private at 17.

iflynething 10-24-2005 06:22 PM

Yep, sure can. I wish I could do that. I'm actually debating on whether or not to get the flight lessons or a new truck (looking at one near my house; Big ol' Orange Ford, Mug Boggin' Tires, 3" lift....simply amazing!)

It's a very hard decision. Maybe SANTA (:)) can deal with the truck issue and me with the lessons!:D

~Michael~

flyinrazrback 10-24-2005 07:24 PM

Iflynetthing, I am an active duty air force pilot myself (B-52s). Getting you license will not hurt you, but IMO will let you try it out before you do it for a career. The best kept secret in miltary flying is the air national guard or air force reserve, where you fly for them part time, and do something else the rest of the time. Good luck with whatever you choose, and if you dont get into the academy, dont sweat it as ROTC or OTS produces just as good officers as the academy, and you can have a normal college life to boot, but look into the guard/reserve.

iflynething 10-24-2005 09:23 PM

I have looked into the guard to reserve, but am really pressed to the Academy and then enlist.

I have heard that it's good that I'm in ROTC so I can be a higher rank going into everything!

~Michael~

flyinrazrback 10-24-2005 09:52 PM

If you want to fly, do not enlist, very hard to go from enlisted to the cockpit. Being in ROTC in high school will not place you higher at the academy or rotc in college. If you are dead set on going to the academy, make sure you are medically qualified to be a pilot.

Ed Toner 10-25-2005 06:50 AM

IF you can gain admittance to the USAFA, pass the physical. and live with the discipline for 4 years, I'd say "Go for it!".

The prestige and training, good habits, discipline, etc. will stay with you, and it will show. You will be in demand among employers and the USAF.

If you just want to "fly", hop into a Cessna and do some sightseeing, cross country etc., and earn a living in a non-flying occupation, I'd advise you to study Law and spend your free time flying.

I chose the Academy route, and at 74, I have no regrets.

iflynething 10-25-2005 02:23 PM

Oh, when I got to the AF, I am wanting to fly. I want to fly for the AF in jets and then fly for my pleasure, having my private's and take my family on vacations and everything.

It is my dream to fly in the AF and I AM going to get to do that. It would be nice to have my private's right now though.

Thanks for the support everyone!

~Michael~

vlizard 10-25-2005 02:24 PM

Do it before you do anything else. At your age the responsibilitys are usually fewer than if you wait till even three years down the road.

iflynething 10-25-2005 03:27 PM

Ok, then I will. I think I was going to get lessons no matter what.

Thanks again for the support

~Michael~

acropilot_ty 11-04-2005 10:52 AM

Michael,

Your best bet is to find a glider port near by. You can get a glider license at 16, and there's a good chance that you could work the line in exchange for lessons. Gliders are a lot cheaper then powered airplanes. The other way to save money is to do the sport pilot license. It'll let you take a passenger a little quicker and cheaper then the private. The soaring society of america shows three gliderports in North Carolina; Erwin, Louisburg, and Mocksville... Their website is www.ssa.org. The EAA has a list of sport pilot instructors on their website at http://www.sportpilot.org/instructors/index.html It looks like their are 4 registered sport pilot instructors in North Carolina. They are located in; Benson, Hickory, Sanford, and Stedman. The guy in Benson, NC could teach you in the worlds best trainer... the J3 Cub. I'm a little partial since I own and teach in a J3 Cub, but there is no denying that a pilot that learns in a cub will out fly a pilot that learns in a cessna.

Good Luck,

Ty

iflynething 11-17-2005 03:34 PM

Well, thanks acropilot for the information, insight and websites. I will keep soaring in mind. That sounds like it would be alot of fun. I personally have always loved the J3, but still don't know what I'm going to do right now.

Thanks again

~Michael~

bdavison 12-30-2005 12:53 PM

I say go for the private now....start learning NOW. If you time it right you could pull off your first solo at graduation, then hop to the AF Academy.

Now when you get to the Academy...when you have spare time(and there wont be much)....grab all your AF buddies, and tell them if they want to split the cost of a couple of hours of rental time between them, you will take them up. Then take them up in a rental out of colorado.

It works out perfect for you...All your AF buddies will think your a god because most of them wont get to touch a stick till year four, and you get free hours for your logbook that are piling up before you even start your AF flight training.

iflynething 12-30-2005 03:27 PM

That sound great. I wish I could do it though. I won't be able to like I said. I didn't get that money that I was hoping to get. So.

But my options are still open. There are some airports around here that are pretty cheap and still give great lessons. I might start next summer when I can cut some grass and have some more money...

~Michael~

AU cary 12-30-2005 07:12 PM

hey Michael

I am a student at Auburn Univ. and I am also an AFROTC cadet. If ya have any questions about
ROTC, I can answer them. i was in RS flight last year. I also have a PPL, so I am kinda in the same boat. I saved up for three years to get my license. If you don't get into the academy, look into AU. We have one of the best detachments in the country.

Cary

iflynething 12-30-2005 07:28 PM

Sweet. I will keep you in mind if I have any questions.

Thanks alot. I need to start saving up. Hopefully I will have money next summer for startig flying!

~Michael~