Community
Search
Notices
Airtronics Support Forum Ask any questions you may have about Airtronics radios and product here and get answers direct from the Airtronics Team.

10 channel Rx with analog servo's...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 10 channel Rx with analog servo's...

I have an Airtronics 10 channel -3 receiver, going into a 26cc gas F6F. I'm using a 94102 on the throttle, and HD 1501 MG servo's on everything else. Will analog servo's work with a -3 receiver, with the configuration I'm setting up? I am also using a RCEXL kill switch with my 10 channel Rx, with two 2000ma Rx batteries and dual on/off switches. Last, I'm installing an Eagle Tree Gyro...Any issues here?

I'm new to gas engine models, but an old hat with Airtronics gear. I've been using Airtronics gear for over 26 years and need to know about compatibility issues.

I've been told that there are compatibility issues with some servo's on -3 receivers. Is this true? I've also been told that Airtronics receivers do not work with RCEXL equipment...but I would like to know, before I put this ESM model into the air.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 04-16-2013, 05:32 AM
wphilb
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 10 channel Rx with analog servo's...

I'm an Airtronics expert and for a first class ticket to Maui I will fix all your issues.... No? OK, good choice, not really an expert anyway...

That said, I have used 94102 stuff and the ball bearing version 94322 with the -3 stuff along with the 94162 giant scale servo. The latter gives 144 in/oz at 6v with .18 sec / 60 degrees and meets my needs for 1/4 scale or 1/5 scale warbirds. But I have enjoyed moving to digitals and have seen benefits of the -3 speed with digitals though I fly mostly giant scale warbirds not 3D or helis which really benefit from the -3 advantages. I would recommend that you give some thought to moving to digitals and get the benefit of the -3's speed. Airtronics has a wide range to choose from, I like the 94722 and 94851s. I have seen issues with other brands but will not comment on which, don't want to be seen as bad mouthing other brands which for the most part are excellent.  I will say that you will have better luck with name brands vs lower cost knock-offs. I would test them first as much as possible. Do you have a junky beater like a stick or Gremlin that you could test the equipment in first? 

I can not comment on the RCXL products as I have not used them. Same with Eagle tree, hopefully some else can chime in there.

I can tell you that the Smart Fly opto Kill Switch works fine with my -3 stuff and will work with twin receiver setups which I tend to use on large gas planes.

Whit
Old 04-16-2013, 05:50 AM
gsmith6879
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 10 channel Rx with analog servo's...

ORIGINAL: Bob Paris

I have an Airtronics 10 channel -3 receiver, going into a 26cc gas F6F. I'm using a 94102 on the throttle, and HD 1501 MG servo's on everything else. Will analog servo's work with a -3 receiver, with the configuration I'm setting up? I am also using a RCEXL kill switch with my 10 channel Rx, with two 2000ma Rx batteries and dual on/off switches. Last, I'm installing an Eagle Tree Gyro...Any issues here?

I'm new to gas engine models, but an old hat with Airtronics gear. I've been using Airtronics gear for over 26 years and need to know about compatibility issues.

I've been told that there are compatibility issues with some servo's on -3 receivers. Is this true? I've also been told that Airtronics receivers do not work with RCEXL equipment...but I would like to know, before I put this ESM model into the air.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Bob,

I can give you some input. I'm using the Rcexl kill switch on 2 of my 10 channel systems (both Warbirds) with no issues to date. I have tried some Analog servos on the 10 channel. The Airtronics 102's seem to work fine. The older Airtronics servos are sometimes a problem. The Hitec HS645 and 625s were a real problem with the faster 10 channel. I use them exclusively on my slower 8 channel stuff.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Bob Paris

Hay GSmith6879,
I've now used 94322's and 94102's with my 10 channel Rx, with out any problems. I also have a Rcexl kill switch in my F6F and unable to get the unit to work, with my 10 channel Rx. I ended up using a PTE 36R in my F6F and a good match. The HD1501MG work flawlessly in with my 10 channel Rx and I'm using two 3300 ma. batteries for the Rx (needed the weight up in the nose for weight and balance issues). Not one negative issue with this model, radio/servo and engine combination.

I did learn that if you use two batteries for your 10 channel Rx, you only need one battery voltage monitor, for both batteries.

I just turned in my 10G Tx into Airtronics to have it updated, checked, and a second rotating dial added, with one 3 position switch added. I had the placements on the Tx for them both, but never added. Now I use one rotating dial for my Guardian Gain control, and one for my Rcexl kill switch (that still doesn't work). I want to use a rotating dial for an engine kill switch...its hard to accidently trip an engine kill, with a rotating dial. By the way...the Eagle Tree Guardian is a first rate device to play with.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Old 10-02-2013, 11:16 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob, I would be a little concerned with too much heat and vibration on your batteries being attached to the engine that way. I build a little shelf over the engine and then soft mount the batteries using velcro straps and foam, never tying them down tight like that with zip ties. I had a battery break apart that way from the vibration and it kept shorting out intermittently on the igniton. Like to drove me nuts thinking I had an ignition or tuning issue. Beautiful Hellcat by the way. I have one of the old CMP birds unfinished yet.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:06 PM
sport10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am using the 10 channel receiver with a rcexl kill switch in my dle 55 powered 30% suhkoi 29. Works great no problems. I have it plumbed into the gear channel on the rx. Make sure to check and see which switch is assigned in switch assignment menu. Moving to this radio from an stylus and have to say I really an liking it so far.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Bob Paris

Ok Guys,
I still have an issue with the RCxl kill switch not working. I'm using a 10 channel Rx in my model.

I've set the RCxl kill switch into channel 8 on my Rx, and set up on my Tx on switch #28. The light goes on to indicate the engine is in run mode and the light goes off on my RCxl to indicate the engine is in the off or not run position.

I've set it at -100 & +100 per everyone's instructions...and my engine will not run with the light on or off. It should run with the light on, but does not fire up at all.

What am I doing wrong? Or do I have a bad RCxl kill switch?

Ok you Airtronic radio gurus...what's happening !

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Last edited by Bob Paris; 10-19-2013 at 06:55 PM.