Notices
Airtronics Support Forum Ask any questions you may have about Airtronics radios and product here and get answers direct from the Airtronics Team.

Airtronics crystal question, transmitter repair question.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airtronics crystal question, transmitter repair question.

Seems like everything I've read nobody is selling airtronics any more, or at least it does appear there is a problem. Anyways, I have 2 transmitters, RD8000. One is new (bought a couple years ago but not used) and the other one I use all the time. Good radios. Anyways the one I've been using is acting funny, elevator won't hardly move, good up and very little down no matter what I do. I've changed receivers and servo, no change.
Since I have 2 radios can I swap crystals in the transmitters with out doing anything else? I'm sure for the very very best optimal reception airtronics recommends putting it on some type of meter and adjust something to get it tuned in. Maybe not, I don't know. The new radio is channel 56 and the other one is 48. If I change and it passes the range check, is that good enough?

I only have one receiver for the new radio and several for the problem radio.

Last question. I was thinking maybe if I reset the radio back to factory settings and start over, that might cure my problems. I followed the manual to do that for one model but it didn't seem to do anything except change the model name. All other settings seemed to be unchanged.

Is there a way to reset all 10 models back to factory setting at one time?

I used to send a problem radio to airtronics repair to the repair center in (I think) Calif. I hate to send it there (if its even open anymore) and have it disappear and not get it back. I know, you don't have to tell me, I should break now and just get a new 2.4. I hate to do that because of my age and eye site I don't know how much longer I will be able to fly. If I can make these transmitters work a few more years I will save money.

I've been using Airtronic radios since the early 80"s.

Thanks for your time........Terry

Last edited by tewitt1949; 06-20-2015 at 05:13 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can contact Airtronics service by email at [email protected] or by phone at 1-714-963-0329. I don't believe they do work on non-2.4GHz equipment anymore (as far as changing the frequency, tuning, etc). It's always been my assumption that you can change receiver crystals to another channel, but you can't simply change the transmitter crystal without re-tuning the transmitter. You might get away with changing to a channel that's nearby the original, but then again, you take a chance of losing your model or worse, injuring someone because of loss of radio control.

I don't know if there's a way to reset the entire radio. I would contact customer service and see about that. Might be able to only reset each model separately.

Radio South in Alabama (?) still services 72mhz equipment, including airtronics, if you require a frequency change and re-tuning.

Best regards,
Todd