Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

What should a "full" club do?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

What should a "full" club do?

Old 09-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What should a "full" club do?

Suppose your club has, for good reasons, a membership cap. Suppose you get a fair amount of traffic of people interested in getting into RC. Now, you cannot accommodate them as it stands, but you think the more people involved in model aviation, and the more AMA members, the better. How might your club respond?
Old 09-15-2010, 08:00 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What should a

Remove the cap and welcome them in, unless the members have an attitude and don't like new bee's

Cheers Bob t
AMA13377
Old 09-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: Jim Thomerson

Suppose your club has, for good reasons, a membership cap. Suppose you get a fair amount of traffic of people interested in getting into RC. Now, you cannot accommodate them as it stands, but you think the more people involved in model aviation, and the more AMA members, the better. How might your club respond?
What are the "good reasons" they would have a cap? (just curious)
Old 09-15-2010, 08:07 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering what those good reasons are?
Old 09-15-2010, 08:32 PM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Maybe the land owner has required a cap?Could be.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:45 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

Maybe the land owner has required a cap? Could be.
Well maybe but a club size is a seperate issue to field use...a club can exsist without even having a flying site at all...
Old 09-15-2010, 08:57 PM
dbcisco
Banned

One of the (non-RC) clubs I was in had a occupancy limit (local safety ordinance) so only 40 of the 300 members could be on the property at one time. We could have as many members as we wanted but not on the property. We had similar occupancy issues when using public areas (temp permit for events). One org. I was in had an event so big (10,000+ for two weeks on a mutli-acre private campground) that following years the county made us limit the participants or else register as a "temporary township".

So to answer the OP question, it depends on a lot of things.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

What are the ''good reasons'' they would have a cap? (just curious)
There are always reasons, that may or may not be good to whomever is judging the reasons. When I was living in the NW Chicago area, I belonged to aclub that kept a 100 member cap, at $100.00 per year for a leased 4 acres withs some 30 acres farmland to to fly over. The space was simply too small to accommodate any more, with parking flying and a very small pit area, all being right on a busy 2-lane highway. LHSs sent far too many newbies to us so we had a waiting list which kept the 100 number full. No one complaining about $100 dues even back in the 1980-'85 era. BTW the farmer leased his part of the land from same guys we did, and if we failed to give the farmer a 4-600 $$$ Xmas present each year he planted CORN around the 4 acres rather than a couple hundred feet of soybeans each year. Ya gotta' do what ya gotta do!

A Club near here now has a cap, because the facility is small, in a very populated area, and they do it so as not to have so many unskilled newbies out flying all the time, or so I was told. They cap at 100 however can adjust as they see the need to do so. They lease from the county and don't feel a need to be a training-squadron all the time. They have electrics, gas/glow and a separate side for chopers and all do well. Smart folks in that club's management.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:56 PM
dbcisco
Banned

Ties into that "membership problem" on another thread.
Turning away members? That is sad in a weirdly good way. Maybe try to get an additional field or even start another club?
Old 09-15-2010, 11:18 PM
KidEpoxy

What to do?
Thats easy- get a second flying site and fly newbie fly

Get a tiny second site for the 3D'ers to hover at.
Or for the "Slowflyer" models to put around in
or the helis to ... uh... well, whatever it is that they do

Vegas Aces has a postage stamp for a field,
get one like that as a secondary to take the pressure off your primary field
Old 09-16-2010, 04:26 AM
beepee

I am a former member of a club in Hossfly's area. Sounds like the one he describes. They had a cap from when I joined maybe 6-7 years ago. Started out at 40 and slowly grew to 100. The bottom line reason: they simply like being a 'small group'. Can't say I blame them, though I always supported our votes for increase. Understand that the motivations of a single club are not always the same as the enthusiast group as a whole.

Bedford
Old 09-16-2010, 07:46 AM
bradpaul

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

What to do?
Thats easy- get a second flying site and fly newbie fly

Get a tiny second site for the 3D'ers to hover at.
Or for the ''Slowflyer'' models to put around in
or the helis to ... uh... well, whatever it is that they do

Vegas Aces has a postage stamp for a field,
get one like that as a secondary to take the pressure off your primary field
Now that truly is funny......... with all the issues Clubs have keeping the fields that have now, they should just go out and get a second field, after all Kid says it's easy.

Brad

Old 09-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Jim Thomerson

The "good reason' for the cap is not the question, but rather a statement of condition to ask for solutions which do not involve increasing the cap. What else can be done? KidEpoxy has at least offered some suggestions. How about someone else making suggestions so other posters can laugh at them and entertain us all.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:17 AM
KidEpoxy

Brad
Answering the question is easy.
It is not really really hard to figure out what to do.

If you feel doing it (getting a site) is hard,
that is a shortcoming you need to take up with AMA's Site programs
... if you really do feel that AMA programs to make it easy are dropping the ball

Jim
As a member of the AMA, I can say to you
Try calling AMA to get help with getting a second site.
They have folks/programs happy to help with that kind of thing
Old 09-16-2010, 11:56 AM
bradpaul

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Brad
Answering the question is easy.
It is not really really hard to figure out what to do.

If you feel doing it (getting a site) is hard,
that is a shortcoming you need to take up with AMA's Site programs
... if you really do feel that AMA programs to make it easy are dropping the ball

Jim
As a member of the AMA, I can say to you
Try calling AMA to get help with getting a second site.
They have folks/programs happy to help with that kind of thing
Easy? Sure following an example from a poster here all I need to do is file some false GPS co-ordinates for an existing AMA club field.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:13 PM
dbcisco
Banned

ORIGINAL: bradpaul
......... with all the issues Clubs have keeping the fields that have now, they should just go out and get a second field....
Why and which clubs are having trouble retaining fields?
Anyway, back to the OP:
I have yet to live somewhere that the parks banned small electric RC aircraft but if I did I wopuld try to get the local parks to allow small electric RC aircraft . Show the park authorities that they are safe and not a threat. Then send all the heli and parkflyers to the parks t fly. They won't even need the AMA! No club members having to share the field with any PPP members, helicopters, small electrics, etc.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:56 PM
Jim Thomerson

On thinking about it, maybe getting another field is a solution. One club I belong to has two fields, the main one county owned and subject to flooding, the other privately owned and not subject to flooding. We have had contests on the private field when the main field has been flooded. Another club I know of has three quite different flying fields. I see people being unhappy because they lost their flying field. Can't recall much complaint about losing one of our several flying fields.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Arbo

What else can be done? KidEpoxy has at least offered some suggestions. How about someone else making suggestions so other posters can laugh at them and entertain us all.
Yes, he did. And look what he got for it.

While it is not easy to simply find another 'field', that may be the best option... to get all those that can not join the club due to size restrictions, to group together and find another spot. It would, of course, help if the current club got involved and helped out with that.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:22 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Our club has a cap. The landowner is a member and officer, he lives on the property (farm), we enter thru his driveway, and I don't feel it is any of my business why he wants a cap.
We have 2 other clubs nearby, neither with caps, and we quite often let new folks fly here as guests or to learn, then send them to one of the other clubs if our roster is full.
We put them on our list, and since I've been a member, our outgo has equalled our income, memberly speaking. I don't remember anyone having to wait more than a couple of months to get in. So, in effect, our cap has not affected anyone
for several years.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:33 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

What should a full club do?
Light their cigars with $5 bills and fly till the Sun goes down.
What else should they do....apply for federal assistance?
Old 09-16-2010, 10:28 PM
dbcisco
Banned

If a club is turning away members and they are out to "promote the hobby" then they should be trying to figure out ways to accomodate more members. If not, they aren't really doing what the AMA is supposed to be about. Not that it is always possible but to not even try is just being selfish.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:38 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Try serving a decade or 2 as a club treasurer of a 100 man club, then report back here with your findings.
Seriously, don't report back here until you've collected 2000 dues checks and processed 2000 memberships from now until the year 2030..then let us know what you think.
I find that my free time is at a finite premium and certain lines need to be drawn somewhere on how benevolent I can be with my free time. As stated earlier, the negotiations with the landowner usually set a cap that the owner is comfortable with. Unless you are the one with the land that 100 strangers visit to fly their dangerous planes on, it's very easy to sit there in the peanut gallery and criticize someone who is wearing shoes you will likely never fill.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:49 PM
dbcisco
Banned

I think I know why membership in the AMA is eroding.[&o]
Old 09-17-2010, 01:03 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

all this has sparked an idea as to how the AMA can cause an increase in membership apps.
just place a 120,000 member cap on membership.
then everybody that has ever heard of an airplane will want to join our "exclusive" org.
seems to be what happens when a club places a cap on members.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:00 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: dbcisco

If a club is turning away members and they are out to ''promote the hobby'' then they should be trying to figure out ways to accomodate more members. If not, they aren't really doing what the AMA is supposed to be about. Not that it is always possible but to not even try is just being selfish.
Maybe the first thing to do is get the AMA out of it and find an alternative or even start one that is interested in promoting the hobby? Now, there is a creative thought. New blood would be fired up to figure out creative ways to make it work. They would comb the area for potential new fields, see if the cap can be changed, etc. They certainly would not let hundreds of people drop like flies because of a field cap, unless there were no other alternatives. When people fall away from a club that is revenue loss. [8D]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.