Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

3D flying

Old 09-23-2010, 09:05 PM
dbcisco
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3D flying

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

Add to that they might be slow to get out of the way and bump into a full scale bi-plane or something. [img][/img]
Cue the video!

Very true, even if it is the other guys fault. People can get killed.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:57 AM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

cfircav8r wrote "however a plane hovering 20' from other pilots with a chainsaw sized engine slinging a 22" prop at upwards of 9800rpm can be extremely dangerous. They have the potential to be just
as unsafe if operated in an unsafe manner."

But it is such a smaller potential than 3Ders. Please do not confuse potential with facts. I just added some more video on [link]http://www.circleflyers.com[/link] for everyones viewing. I will place some more this weekend on the evil 3Ders. Just do not get mad at me with the facts of circleflyers have the majority of the clames filed with the AMA.

Placing a ban on the safest flyers? Ya there you go. If they place a ban on 3Der's that just shows the 3D hate they have. Shame, Shame on them.

Crash99

Old 09-24-2010, 09:04 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: crash99

cfircav8r wrote "however a plane hovering 20' from other pilots with a chainsaw sized engine slinging a 22" prop at upwards of 9800rpm can be extremely dangerous. They have the potential to be just
as unsafe if operated in an unsafe manner."

But it is such a smaller potential than 3Ders. Please do not confuse potential with facts. I just added some more video on [link]http://www.circleflyers.com[/link] for everyones viewing. I will place some more this weekend on the evil 3Ders. Just do not get mad at me with the facts of circleflyers have the majority of the clames filed with the AMA.

Placing a ban on the safest flyers? Ya there you go. If they place a ban on 3Der's that just shows the 3D hate they have. Shame, Shame on them.

Crash99

Dude, relax.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:17 AM
KidEpoxy

Would the ban on 3D
stop those loud & dangerous 120w 30" flatfoam electric 3d planes too?
(aka PPP quiet & reduced insurance)
Old 09-24-2010, 10:32 AM
dbcisco
Banned

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Would the ban on 3D
stop those loud & dangerous 120w 30'' flatfoam electric 3d planes too?
(aka PPP quiet & reduced insurance)
Then I am not geting the micro 4-site for X-mas.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:41 AM
cfircav8r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crash, I said props specifically not 3D aircraft and how many of those claims were prop strikes? Potential and facts? You sound like my 6 year old when I tell them to stop doing something dangerous, "but look dad I don't get hurt" so I should just keep letting him jump off the roof onto the trampoline? So far we have your opinion of your perceived dangers. I have personally seen prop strikes against body parts, not just fingers, more than ten times (in almost 30 years I've lost count}, and only one incident of an aircraft hitting a person. That incident was a guy flying his glider straight at himself only to veer off at the last second, and didn't make it on his last pass. He also did not require medical attention, all of the prop strikes did though. How many of the guys at your field have been hurt by circle flying, and how many by prop strikes? Aside from all of that no one ever said that circle flying in an unsafe manner was less dangerous than flying 3D in an unsafe manner. All flying has its risks, but we need to mitigate the risks with some common sense and safe practices. Doing a high speed low pass closer than center line of the runway is considered unsafe. Why should 3D'ers get upset when people complain about hovering closer than center line? Finally, I agree, shame on any club that would ban 3D because of the actions of a few. Instead ban the individuals that continually fly in an unsafe manner no matter what they fly.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:13 AM
dbcisco
Banned

I am reminded of a club (non-RC) that banned children under 12 y.o. because one member had an unrully child. The board thought it was easier to ban children than confront an individual. Once I got on the board the rules was revoked and the management was instructed to handle isolated and rare problems as individual problems.
Seems the same philosophies apply to other clubs as well.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:15 PM
HIGHSTRUT

ORIGINAL: cfircav8r

Crash, I said props specifically not 3D aircraft and how many of those claims were prop strikes? Potential and facts? You sound like my 6 year old when I tell them to stop doing something dangerous, ''but look dad I don't get hurt'' so I should just keep letting him jump off the roof onto the trampoline? So far we have your opinion of your perceived dangers. I have personally seen prop strikes against body parts, not just fingers, more than ten times (in almost 30 years I've lost count}, and only one incident of an aircraft hitting a person. That incident was a guy flying his glider straight at himself only to veer off at the last second, and didn't make it on his last pass. He also did not require medical attention, all of the prop strikes did though. How many of the guys at your field have been hurt by circle flying, and how many by prop strikes? Aside from all of that no one ever said that circle flying in an unsafe manner was less dangerous than flying 3D in an unsafe manner. All flying has its risks, but we need to mitigate the risks with some common sense and safe practices. Doing a high speed low pass closer than center line of the runway is considered unsafe. Why should 3D'ers get upset when people complain about hovering closer than center line? Finally, I agree, shame on any club that would ban 3D because of the actions of a few. Instead ban the individuals that continually fly in an unsafe manner no matter what they fly.
Exactly correct post. Everything in the world is safe until a human being gets involved.( a lone tree in the middle of a field is safe until someone sits beneath it while it's lightning, decides to cut it down, or climb it.) I'm sure we get the picture.

Sheesh , if this thread continues writing and showing videos of how dangerous RC flying can be, they'll ban RC flying altogether.

In the past we found it necessary to expel flyers who continued to fly unsafely no matter how many times they were warned.

Just fly safely and enjoy the hobby, let's not continue down the road this thread is leading us.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:53 PM
rcplanenut
My Feedback: (12)

I did a little test at our field. Half the flight I flew high speed low passes down the flightline and the other half I hovered at the flightline. I then asked the question which was more annoying. The response really surprised me when I was told the high speed passes were more annoying. This was from one of the older gentlemen who no longer flys. Now, why are we trying to ban 3D flying, but the high speed passes are fine. IMHO both are dangerous but, I think a 27" prop spinning at 6500 rpm on an airplane moving at 50+ MPH (just a guess) would be much more dangerous than the same prop spinning at half that or less moving at less than 5 mph (hovering at 1/4 to 1/3 throttle). This hobby has some danger, but a lot depends on the builder and the level of quality of components and workmanship that goes into the plane than the style of flying( with the exception of a pilot flying way beyond there skill level. I said way beyond because the only way to learn is to push your limits a little at a time.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:06 PM
cfircav8r

Common sense and an attitude of safety are key in all forms of flying. If I am flying my scale Mustange at 70mph and fly straight at the flight line only to veer off just before crossing the center line of the runway, would you consider that dangerous even though you aren't breaking any rules at some fields? Of course it would be dangerous and stupid. Flying a racetrack pattern you are aimed at the pit for about 10 degrees and quite a ways out at that. Yes any form of flying can be more, or less, dangerous depending on what precautions you take. Just being a great pilot is not enough to mitigate all risk. A great pilot plans for all possible scenarios and acts accordingly.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:11 AM
tinner1

There seems to be an underlying notion that there is this huge problem with 3d flying. At my clubs field there a lot of 3d "capable" airplanes around almost all the time, but very few people fly 3d regularly. Most fly pattern whether that be circle pattern, or turn around. Personally I fly straight up and down the field, doing split S's as a turn (turn around). I guess that is a fall back on my old "pattern" competition days. HOWEVER, when a few guys are up in the air and want to "fly circles", I comply. Why fight ? Sure it's not "my style", but I am sharing the field with others and that is what counts. NOT who is "a better pilot". The guys at my field that do fly 3d usually do it when few others are around, or few are in the air. There is a MUTUAL respect for airspace, just like when someone calls "landing" all others yield the runway, even the 3Drs.

In my opinion anyone who thinks they are better than everybody else is better than nobody. They're just conceited.....