Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Waiting for Jan. 2011

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Waiting for Jan. 2011

Old 09-27-2010, 06:31 AM
tomflys2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waiting for Jan. 2011

Just as an introduction. My name is Tom and I am fairly new to this hobby. However - having been a Ham radio guy for over a decade - when Ipurchased my first plane (piece of crap but it flew) - I knew that there was an RCfield that belongs to the local club here located less than a half mile form my house. Iwent there and introduced myself and began asking questions about radio interference and what frequencies the locals were using there. Luckily - most all of them are using 2.4Ghz and only a couple of members still use FM. Iwas concerned because (being a Ham) Ididn't want to interfere with anyone's aircraft if they were using the frequencies near my Ham radio 6 meter (52Mhz).

Anyway - lest Idigress even further - My subject for this is "Waiting for Jan. 2011". Given the state of our current economy and the fact that Ihave been unemployed since the beginning of this mess (Nov. 2008) - Ihad to sell some of my older Ham gear so that Icould try to get into this hobby. For the time being - Ihave no intention of going for large scale aircraft or even Nitro or Gas much less jet propulsion. That first plane Imentioned is/was (it's mostly in a state of repair) plastic and a covered foam wing but I will be building my first foamy next week and have a PNPCessna 182 coming to provide a little "real" plane feel to things.

In browsing this forum (just joined a few hours ago) - Iam not at all surprised to find it just like any other hobby forum. In the Ham radio forums - if you upgraded your license after they eliminated the morse code, you were - well - about as well thought of as some of the Park Flyer people discussed here. (Ibecame an "Extra Class" after the code was eliminated and Iam still called an "Extra Light" by some of the Ham community.) Iguess that is OKto a certain extent - Irealize that Iam new to the hobby and Iwill take a back seat and listen to the "Elmers" (that is what we Ham's call the old timers who mentor the new folks). I have been pretty fortunate to have had that ability most of the time in my life - to listen to others rather than to try and re-invent something.

Ihave seen posts by some of you who are rather adamant about there being "One class of membership" and "One fee for all" in the AMA. As Istated earlier - given the economy and my own personal state of financial distress (Iam collecting un-enjoyment because Iam a few years to young for social insecurity) - Ienquired with my local club as to whether they would honor an AMAParkflyer membership to fly at their field. They told me that would be absolutely acceptable but recommended that I still join the club so that Icould learn to fly from some of the memebers there. Problem is that - first year membership in the local club is $65 then $55 each year after that. Now combine that with AMA fees (and Iknow all about the liability issues) - but the fact (for me) is that Iwill probably join the AMA in Jan. 2011 - but Imay not join a club due to the cost factor. Iwish it weren't so but Ihave to still be able to provide luxuries around the house like toilet paper and the occaisional soda. Iknow this can be an expensive hobby. The guy at the local club first told me that you had to spend at least $400-$500 in order to do this right. His comments nearly turned me away from even persuing RC - but Iam a bit cantankerous too and Ithought - I'll show you - it won't cost me that much. That's what led to the first (piece of crap) airplane.

Finally - Iguess my point is that not all who go (or plan to go) under the title of Park Flyer - are inconsiderate butt holes. As Ihave already demonstrated with my concern for local radio interference even before buying my first plane - Iplan to persue this hobby with the same spirit and fortitude that Iuse in my Ham radio activities. Ilove to tinker and build. Except for my mobile antenna - I don't run a single store bought antenna from the house. It's much more fun to build your own. And I plan to do the same as much as financially possible in this hobby as well.

Ilook forward to any questions, comments or suggestions that you guys may have. Ihave been around forums long enough to know when to stop reading a thread that has gotten out of hand - but being new here - Iam willing to learn. Thank you for reading my rantings and Ihope to post some interesting stuff in the future - maybe even share some of the designs Ihav been working on.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:07 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Waiting for Jan. 2011

Welcome to RCU and most importantly, welcome to the hobby and the AMA.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:49 AM
dbcisco
Banned

Welcome to RCU.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:24 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Tom,
You'll have snobs in any hobby or .org, ignore them, they don't help you be a better person,

And please don't think that your typical r/c modeler shares the opinions and poor manors of the few that dominate the posts in this section.

Good luck
Old 09-27-2010, 08:41 AM
KidEpoxy

Tom
Welcome aboard the board.

Save the club dues and buy a bundle of bluecore foam and some gorilla glue instead.
Get the PPP membership from AMA,
fly in the open spaces you find,
and dont worry about crashing, that $40 of sheetfoam can build like 40 planes. If you crash one, just whip the xacto blade around on the foam and you get another plane... something to consider is the prop shaft on electric motors/gearboxes get bent a LOT less on 'pusher' planes with the motor in back

If not joining a club was a crime,
the half of AMA members that dont belong to any club would be in jail.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:09 AM
dbcisco
Banned

Tom,
It does not cost $400 - 500 to fly and have fun. You can get a decent RTF parkflier or ARF set up for under $200.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:09 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to have you aboard and welcome to RCU!
Old 09-27-2010, 10:52 AM
tomflys2

Well - A hearty thanks again to all of you. Iagree - there are snobs in all areas of this planet. We just have to be careful we don't step in any - Imean on any. The PNPCessna Iam waiting for was reasonable and Ithink it will be a lot of fun. My wife thinks I've gone nuts with all the foam plane plans Ihave drawn up in the last week or so. Maybe Ishould change my login to "Bad To The Foam"!!! Oh Yea - Ialmost forgot . . . . . Ialso agree with the pusher idea. Ihave been working on several designs for that including one on the CADscreen as we speak.

Thanks again y'all! It's good to find some other "Wing-Nuts" out there.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:00 PM
Tarasdad

Tom, welcome to the wonderful world of RC! Oh, there are certainly those in this hobby who will rant and rave about which level of membership is proper, which style of aircraft, type of flying, you name it they'll for and/or against it with religious passion. What's "right" is what you feel is best for you, nothing more, nothing less. YOU make your choice of how you enter the hobby and stay in, not me or anyone else.

Still, as bad as the snobbery here can be it's nothing compared to telescope snobbery (one of my other hobbies is amateur astronomy). Get an argument going between the refractor gods and reflector gurus and it can really get ugly...
Old 09-27-2010, 08:03 PM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Run TOMFLYS2. Run and never look in here again.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

....but the fact (for me) is that I will probably join the AMA in Jan. 2011 ....
Your choice, however with all the "welcomes" those friendly types should have told you that starting this coming Friday, Oct. 01, 2010, you can join AMA for 15 months at same price of the next 12 months.

Enjoy. Get some ski flying in before Thanksgiving.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:10 PM
KidEpoxy

Hoss,
I considered that aspect in my first post,
but the OP was talking about signing up with PPP in the beginning of his post.
I may have missed if he said he wanted $58Open, but I thought he is talking just PPP.

As such, have you seen any Prorate table for PPPs joining mid year, or end of year?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:35 PM
dbcisco
Banned

ORIGINAL: Tarasdad
it's nothing compared to telescope snobbery (one of my other hobbies is amateur astronomy). Get an argument going between the refractor gods and reflector gurus and it can really get ugly...
Sounds like when historians and archeologists get together. "Never the twain shall meet" comes to mind.
Yet, it is the controversies that always bring forth new understanding and insights.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:33 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Hoss,
I considered that aspect in my first post,
but the OP was talking about signing up with PPP in the beginning of his post.
I may have missed if he said he wanted $58Open, but I thought he is talking just PPP.

As such, have you seen any Prorate table for PPPs joining mid year, or end of year?

TOUCHE ! KE. You be right. I be WRONG ! []

Sorry to misinform you tomflys2 yet i did so. Thanks to KE, he proped me up. AMA Dues policy, Doc. 912 http://www.modelaircraft.org/documents.aspx
only concerns the full open member.

BTW the PPP will be going for at least another year. Enjoy.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:26 PM
The Toolman

Tom, I think you can join the ama now and it will include all of next year since you haven't been in it before. By the way I am one of those no code Generals here in the Ozarks in Mo.