Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

How Much Do They Make Per Year

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

How Much Do They Make Per Year

Old 10-04-2010, 09:58 AM
dbcisco
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How Much Do They Make Per Year

Move the AMA from Muncie back to PA and I will.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:00 AM
KidEpoxy

Lowball them for just 50k,
and then have everything you propose and vote for outvoted by the rest of the EC.
Folks are always blocking change here, that should fit them to a T.
Worst case scenario: You still saved AMA over 50k in just your salary alone [8D]
Old 10-04-2010, 10:13 AM
dbcisco
Banned

Move it all back to PA and I'll do it for free.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: dbcisco

My apologies. The EC is elected and then appoints an ED. No requirements for ED that I can find.
Keep an eye out on the AMA site. When they start the search for a new ED the job description will be posted.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutama/hr.aspx
Old 10-04-2010, 11:07 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

and then have everything you propose and vote for outvoted by the rest of the EC.
Worst case scenario: You still saved AMA over 50k in just your salary alone [8D]
I,for one, have more faith in the EC than to think they would make such an egregious error in their hiring duties.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:10 AM
The Toolman

I think a few there are way overpaid for what they do. The only ones I can see defending them are more than likely union people. The same ones that brought you cars at twice the price they should be.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you imagine how many retirees are out there looking for some extra cash? 50k would get some retirees a few extra giant scale gassers for the shed. I am tempted but I am not a retiree yet so I don't qualify, and not a big suckup yet either.

As temping as throwing in a 50k lowball offer is, I suppose I better stay on my side of the fence for now [X(]
Old 10-04-2010, 11:32 AM
dbcisco
Banned

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

I, for one, have more faith in the EC than to think they would make such an egregious error in their hiring duties.
Hmmm. Like Mr. Cherry?
Old 10-04-2010, 11:42 AM
K-Bob

I,for one, have more faith in the EC than to think they would make such an egregious error in their hiring duties.
Hmmm. Like Mr. Cherry?
Are you saying that you think hiring Mr. Cherry was a mistake?Could we have some examples of Mr. Cherry's incompetence or are you just popping off?
Old 10-04-2010, 11:58 AM
fliers1

For a position that paid 6 figures, one has to wonderwhy there has been such a turn over of E.D.s. With so many people who could be qualified(?), why can't AMA hold on to these people? In the last 10-15 years, AMA must have had a half dozen different folks holding that position. Maybe it was realized that they didn't have as much authority as they thought they should have. I don't know for sure, but I think the EC really had the last word. Just guessing here.

Fliers1
Old 10-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: fliers1

For a position that paid 6 figures, one has to wonderwhy there has been such a turn over of E.D.s. With so many people who could be qualified(?), why can't AMA hold on to these people? In the last 10-15 years, AMA must have had a half dozen different folks holding that position. Maybe it was realized that they didn't have as much authority as they thought they should have. I don't know for sure, but I think the EC really had the last word. Just guessing here.

Fliers1
Fliers1, et.al.. six figure salaries can cover a wide range of monies. Today, some firms are paying interns on the basis of well over $150,000.oo per year.
As P.J. O'Rouke wrote in his book, Parliament of Wxxres, he said he went to Washington to find out how government works. He found out that it doesn't.

NP Associations are like government. They produce nothing tangible. Therefore to elevate oneself, one must have underlings.
Just look over the AMA organization using "Ask AMA" on the website. How many folks are in member service versus the folks in publications and computer stuff?
IMO, Bureaucracy and elevation at its best!
Old 10-04-2010, 12:29 PM
dbcisco
Banned

Are you saying that you think hiring Mr. Cherry was a mistake? Could we have some examples of Mr. Cherry's incompetence or are you just popping off?
Again stuffing words in peoples mouths. Maybe if you got off my back you could do something useful.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: The Toolman

I think a few there are way overpaid for what they do. The only ones I can see defending them are more than likely union people. The same ones that brought you cars at twice the price they should be.

I think you should maybe do some research on what the Executive Directors of similar sized organizations make. My wife was offered about 50% more than Cherry's salary to run a $10 million a year hospital charity in Ohio. It too was a 501 (c)3 organization. Total staff was 15. That was actually a low ball offer and she declined for that and the fact that we ultimately decided that we did not want to live in Ohio.

So 125K is not out of line for what people make. In fact, based on assets and staff size it is well below the average based on the information my wife tells me. And again, she works in the NPO management world.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Silent-AV8R

Maybe it was realized that they didn't have as much authority as they thought they should have. I don't know for sure, but I think the EC really had the last word.
The EC (Board of Directors) is who the ED works for. They are the boss. In any NPO that ED lives and dies based on the decisions of the BoD/EC. Some are hands off, others are not. In any case, the ED is rarely given free hand to do as they please. Their job is to implement the strategic vision and tactical decisions of their Board of Directors. Pretty simple.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:40 PM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

I'm just glad its one buisness thats in AMERICA, employing Americans!
Old 10-04-2010, 03:16 PM
The Toolman

e.d. makes over 2 grand a week for not doing much.....tsk tsk And ya wonder why the country is going to heck. Thats over $60 per hour IF he works a 40 hr week an 52 week a year. An that figure doesn't include any benefits or Ins it looks like. And I bet they ( directors board) or whatever they call themselves can vote themselves a raise anytime they want......
Old 10-04-2010, 03:26 PM
dbcisco
Banned

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R
I think you should maybe do some research on what the Executive Directors of similar sized organizations make.
"Amount of income in 2008: $9,902,245
This organization: $9,902,245
Other organizations performing similar types of work: $3,163,029

Assets in 2008: $16,153,463
This organization: $16,153,463
Other organizations performing similar types of work: $4,390,693

Expenses in 2006: $9,976,997
This organization: $9,976,997
Other organizations performing similar types of work: $2,598,016

Income to expenses ratio in 2006: 1.0
Academy Of Model Aeronautics Ama: 1.0
Other organizations performing similar types of work: 1.0

Expenses allocated to program services in 2006: 86.2%
This organization: 86.2%
Other organizations performing similar types of work: 0.0%

Number of employees in 2006: 62
This organization: 62
Other organizations performing similar types of work: 57

Employees paid over $50,000 in 2006: 29.0%
Academy Of Model Aeronautics Ama: 29.0%

Grants share in income in 2006: 1.4%
This organization: 1.4%

Read more: http://www.faqs.org/tax-exempt/IN/Ac...#ixzz11QKjk2td
Old 10-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Silent-AV8R

So your position is that based on what faqs.org lists that on average no employee of the AMA should make over $50,000 per year? I assume that since you put that particular statistic in bold.

This is interesting. faq.org lists the following organizations as the ones doing similar work to the AMA:

Organizations performing similar types of work

1 Northwestern University, H069 Northwestern University Swe Section
2 Elderhostel Inc 11 Avenue De Lafayette, Boston, MA
3 Toastmasters International, Daybreak Toastmasters

Here is the same number for Toastmasters:
Employees paid over $50,000 in 2006: 9.9%
This organization: 9.9%

Here is the same number for Elderhostel:
Employees paid over $50,000 in 2006: 29.7%
Elderhostel Inc: 29.7%

Here is the same number for Northwestern University
Employees paid over $50,000 in 2006: 49.7%
This organization: 49.7%

So how reliable is the number that they quote showing ALL of the organizations with a range of 9.9% to 49.7% making over $50,000 per year and then they say that similar organizations the number is 0%.

That makes zero sense. The 4 organization noted (AMA, Elderhostel, Toastmasters, and NW University) ALL have over 0% making $50,000. Yet they say that similar organizations have 0% making over the $50K figure.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:37 PM
bkdavy

I would also call into question the method used to select organizations doing similar work. After all, how many times have we heard that the AMAa is the only game in town for promoting model aviation (not aviation modeling).

Brad
Old 10-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: The Toolman

e.d. makes over 2 grand a week for not doing much.....tsk tsk And ya wonder why the country is going to heck. Thats over $60 per hour IF he works a 40 hr week an 52 week a year. An that figure doesn't include any benefits or Ins it looks like. And I bet they ( directors board) or whatever they call themselves can vote themselves a raise anytime they want......
When the position of ED became open a few years ago, I looked over the job description. It was 4 pages long. I would hardly call it not doing much. And if it has to deal with a bunch of people like US, then I will hardly call it not doing much.

I bet the job description is somewhere in the AMA website; since they should be looking for a replacement for Mr. Cherry. I invite you to take a look.

Rafael
Old 10-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: bkdavy

I would also call into question the method used to select organizations doing similar work. After all, how many times have we heard that the AMAa is the only game in town for promoting model aviation (not aviation modeling).

Brad
What other orgs do clubs require you to join before you can fly? I am only aware of the AMA in my neck of the woods...at least the four fields that I know about within an hour drive from me.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:21 PM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

edit:// limit expired
Old 10-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: crankpin

My AMA number is 52779. Been there a while. I must have been living in a cave all this time. I had no idea, that AMA staff was paid a salary. Aren't these compensation package's advertised when new election's of new officer's are published ?

Vince
Crankpin, we learn something every day. At least I know I do!
Old 10-04-2010, 05:28 PM
FILE IFR

Craig Schroeder, Comptroller $26,923
Diana Garza , comptroller $67,784
Jim Cherry , Executive Director $125,260
JOYCE HAGER , ASST EXEC DIRECTOR $107,727
Those folks earn every penny they make.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: crankpin

My AMA number is 52779. Been there a while. I must have been living in a cave all this time. I had no idea, that AMA staff was paid a salary. Aren't these compensation package's advertised when new election's of new officer's are published ?

Vince
I think you are confusing two types of AMA people.

First, there is a paid staff, those people who work day in and day out at AMA HQ. Answering the phones, mailing out cards, doing the administration, maintaining the flying site, and on and on.

They are paid to do the work they do.

Then there is the volunteer staff comprised of the 11 District Vice Presidents, the Executive Vice President, and the President of the AMA. They are elected by the membership and are unpaid volunteers. So the "officers" are not paid and are voted in by the membership. The professional staff is paid and are hired by the voted in officers, A.K.A. the Executive Council.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.