Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Gas Engines Vs Glow

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Gas Engines Vs Glow

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 10:14 PM
Stewart
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gas Engines Vs Glow

Your flying something different from the rest. People do not like what is differnt. Its easier for them to razz you to fit in that for them to join you.

Old 09-22-2003, 10:19 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

excellant sig line there stewie.

kinda had me going fer a sec, till i realised that it would only show my details to me., and that everyonelse would only see their own stuff<G>.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:01 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Jim Thomerson

A question from an ignorant person. At the '83 Westover nats, I walked over to look at a number of giant scale airplanes, maybe mostly gas powered. I noticed a number of areas among the airplanes where there had been recent small grass fires. I didn't speak to anyone, but I wondered about it. Did my observation have any relevance to this discussion?

Jim
How small is "small"? If you fill a gasser and allow some gas to flow out of the vent line onto the grass, it will kill some grass.
Old 09-23-2003, 04:18 PM
Sport_Pilot

Sometimes gas burners are seen as elitist in that the knowledge of what goes into that type of model is not always seen on the surface.

Sometimes gas burner folks are seen as 'rich kids' because they are willing to openly discuss the $ in their models while most sport fliers avoid that subject. Oddly enough there are many sport fliers with more expensive glow birds than some of the more 'fun' gas burners.

Some gas modelers tend to present themselves as better than the rest of the group because of the $ invested issue which is really not necessarily true.
LOL I almost joined a club that has mostly pattern flyiers who acted just as you described, and they fly glow! I didn't join because of the snobby attitude even though I like pattern. The club I am in now has a nice mix of gas and glow, rich and poor, even famous and not famous, and they generally get along. We have even had a few of the better healed modelers giving away their used planes to out of work modelers.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:12 PM
SAPropbuster
My Feedback: (5)

You know, of course , before there was glow they all were gas!!!
Old 09-25-2003, 12:11 PM
Sport_Pilot

Either way its still a gas, so why care?
Old 09-28-2003, 08:51 PM
michpittsman
My Feedback: (11)

Jim-I agree with a lot of what you said; as for learning more stringent rules to fly gas burners, you may be confusing gas burners with large airplanes of either fuel type. There is an overlap area where large glow/small gas are interchangeable on medium-large airplanes. The only suggestion I have to gassers is always carry a fire extinguisher-see video of Jason Shulman crashing AND BURNING at the TOC this year. And I pay $11.00 a gallon retail mail order including ups for fuel for my Moki 2.10. It is Mach 7 5% fuel in three case lots. JIM AMA6776
Old 09-29-2003, 10:53 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: J_R

Well FC26,

It has been almost two months now, what has happened?
Old 10-01-2003, 06:42 AM
blue62
My Feedback: (3)

just what do these 3-4 guys drive to the field if gas is too dangerous for them? Glow powered cars? man i wish i had that kinda money!!! i could make one heck of a kwik car runnin it on glow fuel i bet!! let them know your payin extra taxes in the fuel you are using so you are supporting our economy more than glow fuel users do!! so your patriotic by burnin gas!

i find some people are just not happy unless they are makin somebody else miserable! no way to make em happy, just ignore them, makes em crazy!!!

john
Old 10-01-2003, 10:09 AM
J_R

I understand that F26 decided not to create waves and joined another club.

JR
Old 10-03-2003, 07:31 PM
blue62

and he let the bad guys win? well that sux

just goin to do the same thing to the next poor fool who goes there and tries a gas plane

maybe they just had something against him

john
Old 10-03-2003, 08:16 PM
J_R

blue62

Sometimes it is a matter of perspective. There is a club near me that has, shall we say, some elite modelers. At least that is their opinion. Most of the members of my club, and the other clubs in the area, view them with less than admiration. It's funny. The majority opinion is that we love their club. How else could you get all of those type in one place so that you don't have to deal with them?

JR
Old 10-03-2003, 09:11 PM
blue62

thats a good point too, keep em together where u can see all of em at once

john

Old 10-07-2003, 06:44 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Noise can be an issue so use cannisters with the larger gas engines. No space for an in fues. canister select a Muffler with internal baffeling. Consider propeller Dia.&pitch. Don't "hover" when others are flying at your field or as a courtsey don't hover over the run way... Oh yea! you (when hovering) are in just one space and thats the very space that a typical flyer passes through with each circut of the field. [:-]
Old 12-30-2003, 07:41 AM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Gas <span class=

He's actually pretty smart if you think about it, If he complains then maybe they would get a little heat but not enough to warrant them from banning gas at the field. If he lets it go, the three to four members will stop harassing him and in time possibly grow accustom to gassers, it might have been the best choice he made so far. He may have lost the battle but he will win the war in the end, you just have to let the temps and dust settle before proceeding. I know this very well, a local club where I learned to fly at 16 years ago had no problems and is land the the town has designated as a flying site since the 50's recently has been given the no gas rule by the town. Why? because of a resident that lives across the street(1500ft) who is a lawyer, says they are dangerous and he doesn't feel comfortable with us flying gas there. He has nothing to do with the sanctioned club and has only lived there for two years and the rule was put into effect two years ago as well, the only reason that the town has not told him to take a hike is because the town does not want a fight or the costs of legal representation bestowed upon them. So here we are, no gas because we went to the meetings as he did as well and we put up a stink and all of our arguments of the reasons they were safe and in the end, the town said nada to us. This is just a small opinion that he did the right thing, if we packed the gas away for a season when he came down to complain the guy would have assumed that we were flying glow and would have forgotten the crusade against gas. We were foolish and put it right in his face every time for him to use against us.
Just my thoughts.[]
Old 01-10-2004, 08:44 AM
lucas-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

I would tell the 4 fellas to take a flying leap off of cliff of choice, it is none of there busniess if any member is flying a gas motor.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:28 AM
pete913

I just don't see why anyone would think that gas models are either more expensive than glow, or more dangerous. What's the cost of a new YS 120 compared to a G45? Nor sure myself, but I'd bet the YS is more expensive. Actually, when you start adding up all the field equipment for glow power, all of which is unnecessary on a gasser, the gasser looks considerably cheaper to me, never mind the fuel cost. An 8 lb .60 glow model hitting you in the head is gonna kill you just as dead as a full scale airplane, so I don't follow the danger issue either. Fire is also a non issue. Alcohol mixed with nitro is less flammable than gasoline? In your dreams. Only difference there is that you can see a gasoline flame, alcohol burns without a visible flame, so in that respect, I'd say gas was safer if anything. Sure, bigger planes can get more expensive, but that's not always true either. I can scratch build one heck of a big gasser for the cost of a typical high end glow powerd ARF, and I don't have to wonder what's under the covering, cause I built every stick of it myself.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:48 AM
Jim Branaum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pete,
Your observation about support equipment is one of the reasons I moved into gas burners many years ago and is right on target. Additionally the fuel burned is much cheaper and the power plant uses less than most glow burners.

However, I have found that the noise issue is one that must be dealt with since the specialty 'muffler's available frequently seem to be not much more than diverters. Those can make a gasser MUCH louder than almost anything else. Good mufflers can tame the noise a gasser makes.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:05 PM
teefly-RCU

flying gas on a regular basis simply IS dependant on skill level. The maintenance and safe operation is a reflection on a pilots skills both in the shop, pitts, and in the air. Enjoy the hobby and be safe!