Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA General Liability Insurance

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA General Liability Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 11:09 AM
frankp
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA General Liability Insurance

I would like to say THANK YOU to Dave Mathewson and Andy Argenio for all of the efforts in extending the AMA Generial Liability coverage to members who serve as CD's, Aircraft Inspectors, and AVP's. As I had discussed in a previous message, these members have increased exposure to law suits do to the service they provide to the AMA. This extended insurance would most likely not have been provided without the efforts of Dave and Andy. This additional coverage did not cost anything to obtain-no increase in premium.

Thanks guys,

Frank V. Ponteri
Old 04-06-2011, 07:08 AM
rcmiket

Default RE: AMA General Liability Insurance

Ya nice what about all of us that serve as Club Officers we serve in a official capacity also. Personally this is a joke in my book. Why just the select few? Why are Leader Members included in this? For the record I'm a CD and serve as a Club officer. I don't get it.
Mike
Old 04-06-2011, 07:17 AM
frankp

CD's are covered as well as Club Safety Officers. Not sure about the other club officers but will find out.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:33 AM
rcmiket

Don't get me wrong on this I'm not complaining just questioning if they can actually pick and choose who's important enough and who
is not. Seems to me this will open a big can of worms as far as limiting who is covered. Very interesting and not very smart as I see it.
Mike
Old 04-06-2011, 07:47 AM
frankp

I happen to dis agree with your position on this matter. Some members, like yourself, assume responsabilities that other members do not. When you act as a CD you increase you exposure to liability claims. I am also a CD and EXP Aircraft Inspector and appreciate the additional coverage when acting in either capicity.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:56 AM
rcmiket

Anyone that serves as a club officer ( assuming responsibilities that other members don't) is exposed to "risk" whats the difference between them and a CD. As a CD you took the test and offered your services also , correct? I see no difference.
Mike
Old 04-06-2011, 08:39 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

This stupid site timed out on me before i could type fast enough.
The letter says "groups that represent AMA members who volunteer for positions requiring them to perform duties that include, but not limited to, ensuring members compliance with the safety code". It goes on to mention CD's instectors, ect.
This sounds like it includes officers too.
This would be a good question to ask the AMA. Dennis
Old 04-06-2011, 10:57 AM
DadsToysBG

The direct answer from the AMA is that all club officers have had primary coverage since '08. Dennis
Old 04-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought that club officers were already covered under the insurance that came with the club charter.  That is paid from the fee's the clubs have to pay the AMA.  Those did not cover CD,s inspectors, and safety officers used for specific contests.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:28 PM
rcmiket

I just emailed for a detailed explanation as to who and who isn't covered. I'll post the response.
Mike
Old 04-06-2011, 02:03 PM
DadsToysBG

Ilona Maine was the one that told me the officers are covered under the primary AMA ins. serving as officers since 2008. The coverage is now extended to include members who represent the AMA within the scope of their offical AMA duties. This includes, but not limited to.
Contest Coordinators
District Safety Officers
CD's
Event directors
Leader Members
Large aircraft inspectors
Air Show Team Managers
AVP's
Contest board Members
World Championship Team leaders
Dennis
Old 04-06-2011, 02:24 PM
rcmiket

"who represent the AMA" I would think the open membership represents the AMA in a larger number than the "elite" mention in your post. They represent the AMA daily and are on the front lines. You guys must think I'm a bit pushy on this but that's the way I feel. It's unfortunately the open members will never hear about this as they are just happy flying and only have AMA insurance because they have too to fly at their field. That's the real shame about this.
Mike
Old 04-06-2011, 02:42 PM
DadsToysBG

I can already see this thread going downhill. The key word here is "offical" I see no shame in anything. When I fly for fun I'm just a regular member. When I CD a event I'm responable for the safety of the event and answer to the AMA, thats when the primary ins. kicks in. Dennis
Old 04-06-2011, 02:51 PM
rcmiket

Down hill? Why? Asking pertinent questions and trying to discuss them here is dragging the thread downhill? Typical response I expect from posting questions here that go against the grain. "Official"..... the AMA on more than several occasions has asked the open membership to be their "ambassadors" to the them and the sport. Sign 3 and fly free for one your a agent for them by participating in that program. That's pretty official in my book. The way I see it is everyone deserves the insurance as their primary insurance. What's your stance on that?
Mike
Old 04-06-2011, 03:04 PM
DadsToysBG

I answered your question about the ins. for club officers. Now you want to go else where. If you were or are a club officer you had, have primary ins. from the AMA when doing your duties as a officer and didn't even know it. Thats it. You asked and I answered. I'm done. Dennis
Old 04-06-2011, 03:43 PM
rcmiket

So your not in favor of the general open members having the same primary insurance as you. " I'm done" typical answer just what I expected.
Mike
Old 04-06-2011, 04:51 PM
frankp

Mike,

It appears that nothing can be said that you will like or agree with and that is fine. Nothing would ever be accomplished if we all agreed on everything. I only have one additional point to make in response to your comments. If a member choses to take on additional responsability within the AMA in a position that increases his/her exposure to legal action, he is covered by this additional insurance at no charge. I feel this is a good thing and will protect our members who go the extra mile in helping the AMA. This has been done with NO ADDITIONAL premium.

Regards

Frank Ponteri, District V AVP
Old 04-06-2011, 05:44 PM
rcmiket

Frank since your a AVP I would expect expect that you would support this. It's not that "nothing can be said that will make me happy" it's the fact that this is discrimination and nothing more than good old boy politics that I've come to expect from the AMA. Wonder how this would pan out if challenged by the membership in a court of law?
Mike
Not a AVP, just a concerned open AMA member (another words not one of the "elite" that deserves the same coverage)
Old 04-06-2011, 07:30 PM
WestCoastFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: rcmiket

Frank since your a AVP I would expect expect that you would support this. It's not that ''nothing can be said that will make me happy'' it's the fact that this is discrimination and nothing more than good old boy politics that I've come to expect from the AMA. Wonder how this would pan out if challenged by the membership in a court of law?
Mike
Not a AVP, just a concerned open AMA member (another words not one of the ''elite'' that deserves the same coverage)
Mike, why do you "deserve" the same coverage? If you don't like what the AMA offers then quit and don't pay your dues.

Obviously Mike, if everyone had this extended insurance coverage the dues would cost everyone in the AMA more than $58 a year.

Evidently what you propose would raise my dues. Thanks a lot LOL!

Lighten up. If you want more coverage then do what responsible people that can afford it do: Insure your modeling activities. I'm not talking about AMA. If a person has the means to insure their modeling activities I think they owe it to themselves to be fully insured with primary insurance outside of the AMA.

My advice: Insure yourself and consider not complaining about the good AMA insurance deal you already have.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:42 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"who represent the AMA" I would think the open membership represents the AMA in a larger number than the "elite" mention in your post. They represent the AMA daily and are on the front lines. You guys must think I'm a bit pushy on this but that's the way I feel. It's unfortunately the open members will never hear about this as they are just happy flying and only have AMA insurance because they have too to fly at their field. That's the real shame about this.
Mike

Just curious why would a regular member need the same type ofcoverage that a cd or inspector would need?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:50 PM
KidEpoxy

Lighten up. If you want more coverage then do what responsible people that can afford it do: Insure your modeling activities. I'm not talking about AMA. If a person has the means to insure their modeling activities I think they owe it to themselves to be fully insured with primary insurance outside of the AMA.
$20 for $1mil Primary comes to mind

However,
why is it that members should do "what responsible people that can afford it do: Insure your modeling activities."
while we for some reason would not hold officers/CD to the same standard
of doing "what responsible people that can afford it do"
Old 04-06-2011, 10:10 PM
AB Bob
My Feedback: (20)

I see it as motivation to go the extra mile. If you want the extra coverage, go the extra mile and volunteer for the covered positions.
Bob
Old 04-07-2011, 04:18 AM
Sport_Pilot

Mike

Since the open members are not covered for this, nor should they, why does it matter if they know?
Old 04-07-2011, 04:24 AM
Sport_Pilot

So your not in favor of the general open members having the same primary insurance as you.
So if an open member tells another member that it is safe to fly hisjunker planethat falls apart and hurts people and property,he should be covered by this liability insurance? That is not an official duty that should be covered. However if the club safety officer did so then he should be covered.

For example. Lets say there is a young inexperianced modler who decides to mix his own fuel. Lets say a newbie flys a rickity patched up model that it obviously unsafe and it naturally crash'sbutright on the newbie injuring him. If he was to sue a nearby member saying this member should have stopped him, the member would simply claim in court he had no responsibility to inspect the newbie's plane and would win. However, if the member was the club safety officer the newbie would have a point (not saying he would win) and the club officer could use some liability insurance.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:41 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think 2 seperate and distinct issues are getting mixed together here:

1.) Extension of liability coverage to certain member official duties

2.) Primary coverage (not the typical secondary coverage)

So lets say I am a large model inspector.

Scenario 1.) A guy crashes his large scale plane that I inpsected and signed off. I end up named in the resulting lawsuit. AMA is going to cover my legal defense.

My question is whether this coverage is primary or secondary?

Scenario 2.) I am that same inspector, but this time I am just out flying myself and cause some damage or injury with my own plane.

My question is whether AMA coverage is primary or secondary in this second scenario.

IF the answer to scenario 2 is that I now have primary coverage (as a result of my serving as a large model inspector), I could see how general members would not like that. But my guess is that the coverage would not be primary in this second scenario.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.