Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Secrets of Silk

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Secrets of Silk

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 02:18 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Secrets of Silk

Just got my latest magazine that has a article all about the "Secrets of Silk". Good, I thought, I might have missed something 40+ years ago when I covered my Falcon 56. So I read the whole article, quite well written on how to cover with silkspan. Well that took me further back to when I was just 8, so I did get some good techniques.

But how come the Editorial staff at MA doesn't know the difference between silk and silkspan?
I had assumed that at least some of them know something about basic modeling, but perhaps not.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:48 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Secrets of Silk

He,He, Ha, Ha! Isn't that what computer nerds do? Glad to know that I wasn't the only one looking for something hidden in that topic? [:-]

Definition of NERD
XXXXXXX especially : one slavishly devoted to intellectual or academic pursuits (computer nerds) Merriam Webster.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:06 PM
Jim Thomerson

I wrote the editor about the article. I suggested a better method of sticking down silkspan; the same way one does silk. I also made the point, not mentioned in the article, that wings should be covered on both sides at a sitting, and both sides kept moist until finished. Then hang the wing vertically so it will dry evenly on both sides and not develop warps due to uneven drying of the silkspan.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:27 PM
batdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the Editorial staff at MA only care about selling ads. Time they put some content in the rag.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Jim Thomerson

In defense of any magazine, the editor can only print what is submitted. I recall some discussion of how you go about this on the AMA forum, and also on the AMA website. I've suggested five articles, and had two published. Model Aviation pays on acceptance.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:30 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the editor can only print what is submitted.
No, he can completely rewrite the article if he so choses.  The word editor implies he can edit the article.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:27 AM
phlpsfrnk

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

the editor can only print what is submitted.
No, he can completely rewrite the article if he so choses. The word editor implies he can edit the article.
The editor prepares the article for publishing, checks spelling, grammar and layout. The writer/author is responsible for the content. If an article requires a rewrite it should be returned to the writer/author, not rewritten by the editor. As a technical writer edits (other than spelling/grammar) need to be approved by the writer to ensure the intent was not changed by the editing.

Regards
Frank
Old 04-22-2011, 05:50 AM
KidEpoxy

aww man, that poor editor,
unable to stop the writers from putting whatever they want into the magazine if its spelled right
... I feel sorry for the guy [&:]
Old 04-22-2011, 06:18 AM
phlpsfrnk

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

aww man, that poor editor,
unable to stop the writers from putting whatever they want into the magazine if its spelled right
... I feel sorry for the guy [&:]
The editor has the capability to reject articles.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:25 AM
Jim Thomerson

As said, three of my article suggestions were rejected, two were accepted, written up and published. In one article the editor removed a section which was tangential to the article.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:25 AM
KidEpoxy

oh
so editors ARE fully capable of rejecting an article about Silk that doesnt actually talk about silk
... they just chose to keep it in this case
Old 04-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Jim Thomerson

First, there has been, it seems. a recent change of editors. There is inevitable confusion, dropped balls, etc. in transition. I also wonder if it was a problem with the graphics person not understanding what was going on, and it getting caught too late to change. I recall some such problems with MA in the distant past.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:06 PM
cutaway

The article was kinda weak/incomplete. Wet/dry techniques? When to use different weights/grades? The tearing rather than slicing method for edges? It also kinda disses nitrate dope, which is completely bogus.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:41 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well it usually takes me less time to find errors in each issue of MAN than MA.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:13 PM
cj_rumley

ORIGINAL: phlpsfrnk

The editor prepares the article for publishing, checks spelling, grammar and layout. The writer/author is responsible for the content. If an article requires a rewrite it should be returned to the writer/author, not rewritten by the editor. As a technical writer edits (other than spelling/grammar) need to be approved by the writer to ensure the intent was not changed by the editing.

Seems like it should work that way, but it doesn't for writers of regular MA columns (articles may be handled differently but I can't comment on that from experience). Once the draft is submitted the writer doesn't see it again until he gets the magazine.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:34 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

why would you expect them to operate MA any differently than they do their forum. editing stuff that changes the intent and meaning of a post happens there a lot.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:37 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: cj_rumley

ORIGINAL: phlpsfrnk

Seems like it should work that way, but it doesn't for writers of regular MA columns (articles may be handled differently but I can't comment on that from experience). Once the draft is submitted the writer doesn't see it again until he gets the magazine.
This statement is untrue. I am sent a copy of the edited Battery Clinic column for approval before it goes to press.

- Original Message -
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 12:06 PM
Subject: Model Aviation May column

Hi Red,

Attached is our initial edit of your column submission that is scheduled to run in the May 2011 issue.

Please take this opportunity to proofread your words, evaluate them for content purposes, and let us know if your text is okay to run as-is or not. Do not use this courtesy as a chance to rewrite your submission; it is an opportunity to catch factual errors.

Replies not received within 24 hours of your receipt of this message are not guaranteed to make the final proofing stage. Please send any corrections to Editor Jay Smith at [email protected].

Thank you for your cooperation and input!

Sincerely,

MA editorial staff

Jay Smith

Editor, Model Aviation Magazine

5161 East Memorial Drive

Muncie, IN 47302

Phone: (765) 287-1256 Ext. 225

Fax: (765) 281-7907

Old 04-23-2011, 06:41 AM
cj_rumley

Looks like MA editorial staff changes over the past couple years have had some positive impact, then.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:05 AM
Arbo

Some people will complain about anything. Thanks for interjecting some reality Red.

Mongo, please provide examples to back your claim, nobody will be holding their breath.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Jim Thomerson

I think we should be fairly gentle in our suggestions about how the silkspan article could been more in line with our personal methodology. After all, nothing was said about ARF's, and the airplane in question was a modification of an old Comet kit.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:36 PM
Sport_Pilot

As Isaid he can complety rewrite the article if he wants too. Too be legit he must rewrite it completly and put his name as the author, or put his name up as co author.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:54 PM
ARUP

Just saw this thread. Too funny. I read the article and rolled my eyes (again). Silk is great stuff and it's hard to believe anyone writing an article about such doesn't know the difference between it and silkspan. hahahahahaha It is so pitifully funny! C'mere you little silkworm... gimme some of that good stuff! lol
Old 04-24-2011, 10:28 AM
FILE IFR

ORIGINAL: ARUP

Just saw this thread. Too funny. I read the article and rolled my eyes (again). Silk is great stuff and it's hard to believe anyone writing an article about such doesn't know the difference between it and silkspan. hahahahahaha It is so pitifully funny! C'mere you little silkworm... gimme some of that good stuff! lol

Then why don't you submit an article?... let's see what you come up with.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:40 AM
phlpsfrnk

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

As I said he can complety rewrite the article if he wants too. Too be legit he must rewrite it completly and put his name as the author, or put his name up as co author.
Sport_Pilot,
You obviously have never had anything published professionally. There is a process and relationship between writer/author and editors. Writers write, editors edit. If an editor totally rewrites an article he/she has now become the writer and they are no longer doing what they are paid to do (edit). In my professional writing career I’ve had things returned for rewrite but never had or heard of an editor totally rewriting anything. Rejecting yes, rewriting no.

Regards
Frank
Old 04-25-2011, 04:41 AM
phlpsfrnk

ORIGINAL: Arbo

Some people will complain about anything. Thanks for interjecting some reality Red.

Mongo, please provide examples to back your claim, nobody will be holding their breath.
Paul,
I do not agree with Mongo that the MA editing is anything like the AMA forum; however as far as examples go the FHHuber’s “AMA Today Survey” thread comes to mind.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/forums/tm.aspx?m=12723

You edited the original poster’s (FHHuber) post then banned him. You also edited and removed easytiger posts and banned him. Some of my posts were edited and some removed by you. I have not been banned yet. Off topic post by you and a past moderator were left to stand and negative responses to those same posts have been removed by you. Just one example where the tone of a thread has been changed by biased editing.

Regards
Frank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.