Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Plane across Atlantic >

Plane across Atlantic

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Plane across Atlantic

Old 09-10-2003, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Plane across Atlantic

12DDD,
Look out for your stock, it just hit rock bottom. Dave Brown promoted our hobby!
Old 09-10-2003, 05:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No point sport... Dave didn't promote the hobby any more for the AMA than he did for Africa or BFE.

FWIW I don't believe that the flight could have been completed under AMA rules. SO there!
Old 09-10-2003, 08:19 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My vote is with Mr hill (the builder a young 77 or so) and Dave brown for an almost
impossible feat which certainly advances American RC.Remember this is for a FAI
record ---USA entry---Lets not get lost in the box on this one Yes I am a AMA member
and it was the right thing to do,,If the want to try for a longer record I would donate
a few $$ too..as other have said grow up
Old 09-10-2003, 08:28 PM
AMB

One more thing a couple of folks out there quoting AMA rules (which do not apply)\
Flight outside of USA bashed the fact an auto-navigation used it was taken off and
landed by human control ( GOSH JUST LIKE THE BIG ONES),AGAIN AMAZING FEAT)
again a great tribute to the cause of American RC
Old 09-10-2003, 09:01 PM
Banned

FWIW

Brown said when Maynard first mentioned 10 years ago his plan to fly a model plane across the Atlantic, “I have to admit that at first I thought he was daffy.
“But I’ve since learnt that he is not the kind of guy you tell he can’t do something to,” Brown said.

IMHO the glory goes to Maynard for HIS accomplishment. I could have landed that plane as well as a coutless number of other competent pilots in this world. What Dave did is merely incidental as well are the positives (?) for model aviation since I see no application to US specifically.

If you want to live vicariously and some how consider that you deserve some credit for this achievement… so be it … but I know I deserve absolutely no credit for the achievement.

I guess there will always be those that want some of the applause even if just by association.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:15 PM
AMB

I am in agreement with most of your statement as far as dave goes I think or hope
he was representing the American modeler AMA and the rest who are not members
Yes most rcers could have landed the plane but his participation maybe should be compared
with a mayor cutting a ribbon at say some sort of opening or start of a building
project acting as a representitive for the group Also it is US thing we have not
been first in a lot of international events example Free flight models I think
Russia, full scale acrobatics Russia and France. so it should be our record if
accepted.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:07 AM
J_R

Just curious. Are you guys aware that if the plane "sheds parts" the flight gets a zero?
Old 09-11-2003, 12:16 AM
Banned

Actually I do not care if the FAI validates or for that matter can find a existing classification for the achievement...In my book Maynard is all that and a bag of chips!
Old 09-11-2003, 09:27 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, that rule was put in there to avoid being able to drop the excess tanks as they emptied and to require the gear to stay on. A group I was playing with investigated using a dolly to launch the vehicle. We concluded that since the dolly did not leave the ground and it was not attached to the vehicle, it would probably have been legal.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:31 PM

FWIW I don't believe that the flight could have been completed under AMA rules. SO there!
It couldn't have been completed under the PGA or NFL or PBA or NASCAR or NHRA rules either, any of which are just as applicable as the AMA rules! So what! It's still a model plane, Dave is a friend, it was good publicity!
Old 09-11-2003, 01:35 PM

Another point.

Did you know its still legal to fly planes that do not meet AMA rules? Except for the possible exception of a few local laws there are no laws that prohibit flying model aircraft, even unsafe ones. Except the possiblity of getting sued for negligance. So even if the plane didn't met AMA rules on take off (and I don't think that is a true statement), it still met FAI rules and that is what counts.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:14 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

It couldn't have been completed under the PGA or NFL or PBA or NASCAR or NHRA rules either, any of which are just as applicable as the AMA rules! So what! It's still a model plane, Dave is a friend, it was good publicity!
Actually I have yet to talk to anyone outside the hobby that has heard about the crossing...heck only a few in the hobby even seems to know. So no point again sport
Old 09-11-2003, 03:19 PM

Another point.

Did you know its still legal to fly planes that do not meet AMA rules? <snip>
Yep. If we're lucky, a certain lobbyist and his minions will quickly be shown to the exit at FAA and it will stay that way.

Abel
Old 09-11-2003, 03:33 PM

Would that lobbiest be Dave Brown?
Old 09-11-2003, 03:35 PM

Actually I have yet to talk to anyone outside the hobby that has heard about the crossing...heck only a few in the hobby even seems to know. So no point again sport
A couple of people outside the hobby have commented to me about it. They heard about it on the radio. Found out later it was from Paul Harvey.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:03 PM

Would that lobbiest be Dave Brown?
Is the Pope a Catholic?