Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

The Battery Clinic July Issue

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

The Battery Clinic July Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 06:29 AM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Battery Clinic July Issue

Red, Nice article about the HK and Dymond receivers in the July issue of MA. I noticed in the article that you asked Dymond about the similarities of the two receivers and they responded "it has a different program burned in". You respond with "-whatever that means." Let me help clear that up. The receivers can be programmed by the manufacture to respond to things like outside interference and what the receiver is to do when interference occurs, how servos respond, and a number of other things.

Also, on the HK receiver that you had issues with the servos having a mind of their own, could you ground test that receiver with digital servos instead of analog servos? I am curious of the result.

Anyhow, thanks for the comparison article
Old 06-30-2011, 06:35 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Default RE: The Battery Clinic July Issue

ORIGINAL: TimJ

Red, Nice article about the HK and Dymond receivers in the July issue of MA. I noticed in the article that you asked Dymond about the similarities of the two receivers and they responded ''it has a different program burned in''. You respond with ''-whatever that means.'' Let me help clear that up. The receivers can be programmed by the manufacture to respond to things like outside interference and what the receiver is to do when interference occurs, how servos respond, and a number of other things.

Also, on the HK receiver that you had issues with the servos having a mind of their own, could you ground test that receiver with digital servos instead of analog servos? I am curious of the result.

Sorry, but I haven't read that article yet but based on this post, one glaring point is that it seems the battery column has expanded to other things as well...
Old 06-30-2011, 07:02 AM
Michael R.
My Feedback: (37)

Model Aviation doesn't have a dedicated "Radio/Electronics" columnist. Both Red and Greg have been encouraged to embrace such topics when an opportunity comes along. I've seen good information in Greg's contributions on WiFi RC technology and radio systems such as XPS and others. Thank you Red for taking the initiative!

We buy cell phones based on the quality of service and signal clarity. It's the same with our 2.4GHz hobby radio systems. I for one would like to know how well the clone receivers operate in an environment similar to those at popular flying events. I hate mobile conversations where I hear only half words, or worse, loose the call entirely.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:14 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Michael R.

Model Aviation doesn't have a dedicated ''Radio/Electronics'' columnist.
Well, why is that?

Seems ''Radio/Electronics'' are a very important category of interest for the membership... It would seem a qualified columnist, without any commercial interests, would be appropriate IMO...Matter of fact, that should be a standard applied to all columnists.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:28 AM
Michael R.

I think it would be great if an electronics expert stepped up and contributed on a regular basis! I know that editor would love the opportunity.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:52 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Red, Nice article about the HK and Dymond receivers in the July issue of MA. I noticed in the article that you asked Dymond about the similarities of the two receivers and they responded ''it has a different program burned in''. You respond with ''-whatever that means.'' Let me help clear that up. The receivers can be programmed by the manufacture to respond to things like outside interference and what the receiver is to do when interference occurs, how servos respond, and a number of other things.

For those that might have missed it or just throw thier MA in the trash when they get it , here is what was said regarding the HobbyKing Orange FASST compatible receivers:

I just happened to have been setting up a Drenalyn, a foamy flying saucer with elevons. I first used the original Hobby King
receiver and found that it didn’t like the mixing of the elevator and aileron required by the Drenalyn. The servos seemed to have a life of their own, creeping up and down without any transmitter stick input. They would settle out eventually but start it all over again when you moved the sticks. Not something that you would want to put in the air. So I tried the Dymond receiver. No problem, everything worked as it should and I subsequently put in many flights with it at extended ranges.

In the meantime I had ordered another Hobby King receiver. That one, now in a plastic case, didn’t seem to have the same problem the original one did. I switched it with the Hobby King unit and it performed flawlessly.
The same receiver that seemed to have a problem when in the elevon mode seems OK and I have been flying it regularly.

I just went into the shop and tried the receiver that I thought had the problem, except this time with digital servos. No sign of problem in elevon mode. Then I used two standard servos - no problem here. It seems to have dissapeared.

I was using a 4.8 volt Ni-Cd pack for the reciever this time. When I had the problem I was using the BEC in the ESC (Jeti Advance 18). Could it have been the slightly higher voltage that caused the problem? I'm going to try it with the same ESC and see if if the problem reappears. If not . . . . ? This could become a very long thread for the RA crowd.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:59 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Sorry, but I haven't read that article yet but based on this post, one glaring point is that it seems the battery column has expanded to other things as well...
If you problem with the content of my column, feel free to contact the Editor, Jay Smith [email protected] if you have not already done so.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:28 AM
TimJ

That is interesting Red. I can't wait to read the results.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:06 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

OK, tried the suspect receiver in the original setup, same ESC/BEC, 3S1000 LiPo, and two HiTec HS81 servos. Creeping servo situation same as before, particularly when you just flick the stick. The will twitch and then creep slowly a bit away from neutral and then come back. Replaced ESC/BEC with 4.8 V Ni-Cd pack. Same creeping as before.

What was different from the bench test where everything seemed OK? The servos. Could it be then that these two particular servos are not happy with that particular receiver? Weird!!!
Old 06-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Michael R.

I have some old retract servos that didn't like 2.4GHz receivers and sort of acted like your old HS-81 servos. Turns out they were looking for a high voltage from the signal lead that the new receiver didn't deliver. Spektrum makes a signal booster that corrects the problem and makes the servo happy again.

Spektrum Signal Line Voltage Booster (SPMCP): $9.99
Old 06-30-2011, 08:29 PM
TimJ

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

OK, tried the suspect receiver in the original setup, same ESC/BEC, 3S1000 LiPo, and two HiTec HS81 servos. Creeping servo situation same as before, particularly when you just flick the stick. The will twitch and then creep slowly a bit away from neutral and then come back. Replaced ESC/BEC with 4.8 V Ni-Cd pack. Same creeping as before.

What was different from the bench test where everything seemed OK? The servos. Could it be then that these two particular servos are not happy with that particular receiver? Weird!!!

Can you try the same set up but using digital servos?

Also you may be on to something. If the ESC rams too much voltage to the receiver, the receiver could start to act abnormal.

Or the ESC could be so slow that it is "lagging" the whole system.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:11 PM
littlecrankshaf

I think Michael put his finger on it. one way or another a weak signal circuit...seen it many times...often just a less than good extension or servo lead.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:15 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Can you try the same set up but using digital servos?

Also you may be on to something. If the ESC rams too much voltage to the receiver, the receiver could start to act abnormal.

Or the ESC could be so slow that it is ''lagging'' the whole system.
No problem with digital servos.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:44 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Red.

I know less than nothing, but want to ask, was there a halogen lamp turned on in the vicinity? I had problems in the vicinity of my halogen lamp, turned it off and came back later, worked okay with the lamp off. Turned it on and the problem appeared again.

Just asking. Flame suit on.
Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 07-01-2011, 07:46 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: Scar

I know less than nothing, but want to ask, was there a halogen lamp turned on in the vicinity? I had problems in the vicinity of my halogen lamp, turned it off and came back later, worked okay with the lamp off. Turned it on and the problem appeared again.

Just asking. Flame suit on.
Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Now that you mention it there was a dual bulb floresent over the bench, I don't recall if it was on or not. I doubt if that was it, but no harm in checking.

Checked and it made no difference, on or off, got the same results.