Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
FAR federal regulation restrictions >

FAR federal regulation restrictions

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAR federal regulation restrictions

Old 08-26-2003, 10:53 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAR federal regulation restrictions

for the 2003 Federal regulations laws, is it still the 3 mile rule for operation of remote control aircraft near an airport regardless of the airports size?
Old 08-27-2003, 12:08 AM

Default Re: FAR federal regulation restrictions

Originally posted by tsaldivar
for the 2003 Federal regulations laws, is it still the 3 mile rule for operation of remote control aircraft near an airport regardless of the airports size?
You're referring to to guidance contained in AC 91-57. It is advisory. FAA does not regulate model aircraft. AFAIK, this advisory is still in effect. It isn't interpreted as a hard and fast rule. I think the wording of AC 91-57 paraphrased in the AMA Safety Code is a reasonable interpretation, seen in the additional words: ".... without notifying the airport operator."
There are lots of guys operating on the property of rider-scale airports safely, with careful attention to proper coordination with operators of of other aircraft.

Abel
Old 08-27-2003, 01:44 AM
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I regularly fly from a full scale strip---With permission of course!!! We always fly with a spotter and immediately land if any full scale plane is visible. We also only fly one model at a time. This airport is not busy at all during the week except for a crop duster or two...

Kevin
Old 08-27-2003, 03:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Kevin Greene
I regularly fly from a full scale strip---With permission of course!!! We always fly with a spotter and immediately land if any full scale plane is visible. We also only fly one model at a time. This airport is not busy at all during the week except for a crop duster or two...

Kevin
One of my annual trips is to a club that is located on one of the 3 or 4 parallel runways. At least one is still an active airport. We fly with spotters and have a "safe" location to orbit in if it is not possible to land soon enough which is the rule that is used. They allow multiple planes in the air at the same time.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:24 AM

Default FAR reg.

I understand flying on the runways, I'm asking about "outside" of the runways themselves.
Whats the "current" FAR/AMA reg.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:31 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I also fly from a closed runway at an uncontrolled airport. We have a written invite from the FBO manager and share the strip with the Ultralight club.

We must fly to the right approach to active runway 18, must have a spotter, only two planes at a time, and we also carry a scanner to hear for a pilot that might call in.

The sectional warns that there are active RC aircraft and ultralights in the traffic pattern.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:48 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Models and full scale

I fly from a R/C field less than 1 mile NNE from the approach end of the active runway at a very active Military Airfield (MCAS Miramar). The full scale pattern is south of the full scale runway and our pattern is north of our runway. We call the Operations OOD when we open the field for flying so they know we're gonna have models in the air and call them again when we're done so they know we're clear. Only problem we've ever had in 18 years of flying there is the occassional civilian helicopter using the I-15 corridor for Montgomery civilian airfield who's not where he's supposed to be.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:06 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Default Re: FAR reg.

Originally posted by tsaldivar
I understand flying on the runways, I'm asking about "outside" of the runways themselves.
Whats the "current" FAR/AMA reg.
Read the AMA Safety Code:
http://modelaircraft.org/templates/a...3B742696CEACB4

2) I will not fly my model higher than approximately 400 feet within 3 miles of an airport without notifying the airport operator. I will give right-of-way and avoid flying in the proximity of full-scale aircraft. Where necessary, an observer shall be utilized to supervise flying to avoid having models fly in the proximity of full-scale aircraft.