Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

How did you spend Sat. 03-17-12?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

How did you spend Sat. 03-17-12?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 01:23 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How did you spend Sat. 03-17-12?

How did YOU spend Saturday, March 17th?

The subject question is not meant to question your personal life, just to get a response about toy airplane activity. Yesterday, I spent at the Jetero RC Club's annual "Celebration" of being on their own property. There was a good turnout and a number of visitors from other clubs. One visitor had driven down from Minnesota simply to attend the "Celebration".

While only 33 signed in the "Log", I suspect that some failed to sign in. It was a "Fly-In" and that was all that was asked for. Actually not even that. No entrance fee, Food was served free of charge, yet the "donation" bucket looked well filled. The menu was Chopped Brisket-of-beef on a bun or Hot Dogs or a combination. Sides were potato salad, cole slaw, variety of chips, cold-drinks and "Birthday Cake" The coffee pots were on all day as well as boxes of various doughnuts, all there for the taking.
That relatively new air-conditioned kitchen, library, and general sitting room, activity certainly serves us well.

Airplanes were boring holes in the sky all day. All kinds and all sizes from the miniature electrics to large IMAC, Scale, Pattern and Sport. There were several accidents however that is aeromodeling, so be it. The most impressive to me was an electric Spitfire that really honked until starting a turnaround when the wing snapped at the fuselage and that bare fuselage must have traveled over a hundred feet like a spear into the ground. The ground WON!!!

I talked to several folks reference AMA, Clubs, and the programs. So did others, the CD, Scott X, and club officers. AMA applications and club handouts were provided. The afternoon brought many visitors and club members provided friendly hospitality showing everything from big birds to small electrics.

IMO, a Saturday well spent.

Horrace Cain, AMA L-93 CD, Leader
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. "
Ben Franklin

Old 03-18-2012, 01:34 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How did you spend Sat. 03-17-12?

Had a great R/C Saturday at the largest local R/C swap meet in North Texas, a very well run one held each March by the hard working troops of the Weatherford Aero Modelers Society in Weatherford,TX.

Always a good time to renew friendships with R/C guys from all over Texas and Oklahoma.

Sold some stuff that I did not need any more to thin the herd a little and bought a few things as well. Great place to be a buyer, as things were going pretty cheap...
Old 03-18-2012, 02:00 PM
acemcduck
My Feedback: (17)

Ah, I spent mine laying tile in the bathroom.....and then a couple hours of past due maintenance to the "get me to work car".....BUT wait, there was a wonderful half hour or so of tuning up the 4 stroke on the Contender waiting for its maiden flight.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had the Local Law enforcement come in with a NOISE complaint[:@] The season is just starting here and maybe ending
Larry K
Old 03-18-2012, 02:44 PM
JohnShe

ORIGINAL: Live Wire

We had the Local Law enforcement come in with a NOISE complaint[:@] The season is just starting here and maybe ending
Larry K
Wow! That's a shame. We have a noise ordinance where we fly. We satisfy it by measuring the noise with a db meter. Any plane that exceeds the limit has to put on a better muffler, or don't fly. Now we can fly with some pretty serious engines and nobody can touch us.

Check with your community legal people about the official noise level limits. You might be able to calm people down and keep flying with only a little flexibility.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:52 PM
JohnShe

Worked in the community garden to get it ready for spring.  My other choice was to do  road cleanup for the club.  That is how we earn our flying field.

The week before I went to the Lebanon PA flea market and bought a flea.  It was a Sig Spacewalker 1/3rd scale with a 104 in wingspan.  I call that a pretty healthy flea.  It was NIB and almost ready to put together the winter after next.  Right behind my Dynaflyte 1/4 scale Flybaby.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:00 PM
Live Wire

ORIGINAL: JohnShe

ORIGINAL: Live Wire

Larry K
Wow! That's a shame. We have a noise ordinance where we fly. We satisfy it by measuring the noise with a db meter. Any plane that exceeds the limit has to put on a better muffler, or don't fly. Now we can fly with some pretty serious engines and nobody can touch us.

Check with your community legal people about the official noise level limits. You might be able to calm people down and keep flying with only a little flexibility.

This guy complained about scaring his cows that were a Mile away. They probably thought it was a feed truck and ready to eat. Later
Old 03-18-2012, 03:38 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Spent the morning working on a Club DLG project, then went flying. After breaking a prop, trip to the hobby shop, then back to mow the field for the first time this year. The evening was spent drilling and balancing the new props, and dealing with the neighbor that insists the planes are flying over her house (she's wrong - luckily our property owner likes the club, not her).

Brad
Old 03-18-2012, 03:41 PM
tenspeed59
My Feedback: (12)

Lets see....First off woke up around 5:30 AMMST.....after a shower and morning chores Istarted prep work on the tradiitional Saint Patrick's Day feast of Corned Beef and Cabbage with all the trimmings...that was in the crock pot and going by 7 AMMST. Wife presented me with the annual St. Paddy's Day themed T-shirt to wear for her....She's a great sweetheart!!!!
At about 10:30 AMMSTI was at the field , along with other club members, prepping my mind to fly a Great Planes Big Stick .40 sized flight using a Spektrum Dx7 transmitter I had been procrastinating for about a year using it. It was a harrowing flight but successful landing without any major glitches, due to nerves more than anything....even had pre-programmed in 25% exponential on low rates, but it felt like it needed more.
The winds were blustery between 14-19 knots <16-22 mph> and most of that was a variable quartering or full cross wind......wayyyyyyy beyond my 'NORMAL" comfort zone level....So all in all a great flight all things considered. From there the winds stayed horrible, so it was time to pack up and head home about 2:00-2:30 PMMST.
Back home and finish getting dinner and the trimmings done and served for the wife and myself.
Next thing Iknow one of our grandsons wants to come over so his Father drops him off here and we feed him also.....now another grand daughter and her husband want to visit this lucky Irishman's clan so she and her husband bring our 5 month old great grand daughter to visit and eat dinner. How do these kids know the grandparents cook so much for just two people anyhow???.....LOLOL
Now it is Sunday and the grandson spent the night here, and we went to the field to try flying this morning after chores and breakfast, to no avail. Upon arrival there the winds turned into direct cross winds and 15-10 mph gusts. Not even going to bother unloading a plane for that much wind, thank you.
Back home and we strip components from a wrecked "Avistar" preparing to get that trainer ready to use again at a later date. Perhaps to start training him to fly?
He soon gets bored and wants to look up information on the internet concerning building a "boomerang" to play with, while I dozed off watching the NASCARrace for awhile.....(Naps...does a body good!!!!)....hahaha.
We go to the shop and get a slab of Birch wood out and draw a simple boomerang design onto the wood and Ifire up the scroll saw and belt and disk sander and rough him out a simple, yet non-flying boomerang, instructing him that I will later on carve the airfoil into it for him after he can prove to me he's capable of not clubbing his sister or brother with it and just to use it for "pretending" for right now to pique his interest.
Now it's back inside and he's watching HARRYPOTTERsomething or another and Iam enjoying the forums.
LIFEISGRAND!!!!!

Mark
Old 03-18-2012, 05:38 PM
corch

Worked on my kit.  watched basketball.  Yard work.  Hobby shop to buy a gallon of fuel and a couple glow plugs.  More yard work.  Dinner.  Basketball.  Worked on my kit.  Basketball.  Plug in my TX and RX to charge overnight.  Worked on my kit.  Basketball.  Watched "Countdown to D-Day" with Tom Selleck as Ike.  Played some guitar.

Today: yard work, basketball, flying field from 1pm-7pm.  Dinner.  Put model stuff away.  Organize bench for next steps on my kit.  Make drink, get on computer....here I am
Old 03-18-2012, 05:53 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

In the garage, doors open both ends, BRISK wind flowing thru as we tried to convert a 15 + year old plan built ME163 to electric power ....

WWWOOOOOOOOSSSSHHHHHHHHHH ...... fly by sound effect included...
Old 03-18-2012, 06:22 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you fellows for sharing your life style and time. This is an AMA forum however IMO our lives and our families also share the AMA time with us.
All your posts were very informative, and I appreciate your willingness to share our lifestyles just a bit away from the flying field.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:56 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Flew both days this weekend as well as some outside work,, awesome, yes still winter, weather,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 03-18-2012, 07:28 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Spent Sat in a small town called Blytheon the Ariz Calif border I took a plane and intended to fly but it was too windy.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:37 PM
yellerchamp
My Feedback: (42)

fishing on saturday and flying on sunday, I maidend a new plane sunday which was quite windy, but learned along time ago to fly on windy days or you wont be flying most of the time, thats what cheap planes are good for, main thing is to have fun at the flying field, with good friends
Old 03-18-2012, 08:58 PM
KidEpoxy

I got recruited to use my truck for "flower buying" at the depot.
On the modeling front, I discovered-
Although thoroughly reading the instructions and ordering all the parts way before working on assembly is good... it turns out if you wait too long before actually assemble you realize the instructions are now neither with the parts that came in nor the plane box.
Yup, classic "lost the instructions" [:@]
Old 03-19-2012, 03:50 AM
hemiflyer1
My Feedback: (2)

Spring cleaned the hot-rod workshop(my other hobby),  started and washed my Hemi Dart for the first time this year.  it's 30 degrees warmer outside then it's supposed to be! The weather in Michigan has been the best this last week. SWEET! Took the little lady on a Harley ride and found a green beer, and back home for some ruben sammies. Never been much for sour krout, but it has its uses.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:26 AM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I spent Saturday morning flying, took my 4 Star 60 and my Super Sportster 40 out for a spin, best flying day I've had so far this year. Worked in the yard that afternoon and Sunday morning, went flying again Sunday afternoon but it got pretty windy. Almost lost the 4 Star on a gusty landing. All in all, a very nice weekend.

KaP2011
Ultra Sport Brotherhood #110
AMA #408493
Old 03-19-2012, 05:47 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

I took the family to see a concert.....they were relieved that it was in no way RC related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZIdU...eature=related
Old 03-19-2012, 05:56 AM
lopflyers

, it was my weekend to work. I'm envious of yo guys.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:46 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flew indoor free flight and micro RC from 0900 to 1400. Got my Guillows Bird Dog to turn 30+ seconds. Got my new Ares Microstick 75 to the first of multiple rudder and throttle only loops!

Had dinner with the wife. son and daughter in law at a Mexican place, wanted to avoid the drunk green beer crowd.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:07 AM
harlanb

LiveWire,
Our club leases a field from a farmer. The field is next to the field he keeps his cows in. Our planes do not bother the cows at all. They do not react to the planes. When I first flew at the field, I expected the cows to race to the far side of thier filed. However, they usually spend most of the time at the fence line that borders our flying field as if they are watching...
Old 03-19-2012, 07:14 AM
fordfan1013

i crashed my super cub lpinto a weat field,in to two pieces from 100ft because steering linkage failure i dont no how doin about 20 loops in a row on a trainer :P
Old 03-19-2012, 07:48 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

I had coffee with my RC buds at the Rainbow Lounge as usual on Sat. Then had household cleaning to do, fairly windy anyway.

Horrace, great thread! What are you using for a clubhouse? I'm trying to talk the club into a park model or FEMA trailer, also to buy some property instead of leasing. Seems every 5-6 years we have to move. 
Old 03-19-2012, 09:11 AM
OliverJacob

This Saturday we had to take our club shed down because there will be a new runway at its place (we are on a full scale airport property).
So for some time we had to fear to loose our field, the FAA was not too interested to keep us there. But after some meetings they agreed to let us stay, just had to move some of our fence and take down the shed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.