Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

How I see this forum

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

How I see this forum

Old 05-04-2012, 06:39 AM
H5487

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How I see this forum

I have determined that the AMA Discussions forum on RCU is much like the Jerry Springer Show. While some serious topics might be presented, don't expect calm, educated, or even rational responses. Instead, expect nonsense and hostility. If any rational ideas are actually posted, they will be quickly attacked by those who apparently have little or no knowledge or experience with the subject at hand (which, curiously, doesn't get in the way of them presenting their opinion).

And much like the Springer show, everybody seems to be springloaded to come out fighting. Why is that? Is there something about balsa dust that brings out the confrontational nature in guys? Also, there seems to be a few regulars who refuse to listen to what anyone else is saying. I can't count the number of times I've watched someone angrily go after another without realizing that they're both on the same side. (This is really funny to watch!) All they want to do is fight. Just like on Jerry Springer.

While I can often accurately sum up the quality of a Jerry Springer guest by the way that person is groomed and by the way he or she talks, I've found that I can usually sum up an RCU poster by his grammer and spelling. Here's a hint guys: If you want the world to respect you and your opinion, don't write posts that make us think you're a middle school dropout! I've also determined that typing in all caps is usually a good indication that the poster knows little about the subject (i.e. using volume in lieu of intelligence). Again, just like on Springer.

Therefore, I've come to the conclusion that many, if not most, postings in the AMA Discussions forum are best used for entertainment purposes only. For those times when I need to see how AMA is handling a particular matter, I'll read the magazine and/or the AMA website and then draw my own conclusion. I've found this way to be more reliable. And almost always more pleasant.

Harvey

Old 05-04-2012, 07:32 AM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: How I see this forum

+1
Old 05-04-2012, 09:47 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+2
Old 05-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Tarasdad

This forum is nothing more than a place for those who hate everything AMA to spew their diatribe. There's really no good reason for it to even exist.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:22 AM
H5487

ORIGINAL: Tarasdad
There's really no good reason for it to even exist.
Maybe there is... Think of it as being like the cut-open watermelon next to the roadside farmer's fruit stand in that it's there to draw the flies away from the main attraction.

Harvey
Old 05-05-2012, 05:15 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: H5487

Therefore, I've come to the conclusion that many, if not most, postings in the AMA Discussions forum are best used for entertainment purposes only.
Harvey

Great!

All this should be about entertainment...shouldn’t it??? AMA as well as this forum...

Sure beats the early days when only the devout reverence of AMA and the incessant demonization of other modelers were standard fare.

We’ve come a long ways...and I have learned a lot along the way too... Found out there are many here that simply would not be apart of model aviation without AMA.

Much thanks goes to RCU for the very helpful knowledge made available to us and for a better understanding of what our hobby really is.

Now, I need to update my RCU membership by giving them support for another great year... RCU promotes model aviation and is a great asset to all model aviators regardless of whether they pay or not...and that is why I support them at the highest level... How ‘bout you guys? Just want to complain??? Hmmm...how ironic reality is when made to face it...
Old 05-05-2012, 06:07 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Interesting phenomena on Web Forums,,
Thinking that complaining about the complainers somehow doesn't make you a complainer yourself.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:08 AM
Tailspin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you judge others by their "grammer and spelling" but can't spell GRAMMAR, does that make you a Troll?
Old 05-05-2012, 11:35 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

nah tailspin, it just makes em a fool.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:59 AM
JohnShe

I thought the Jerry Springer show (is it still on TV?) was fun when they threw chairs at each other. The do that on "Professional Wrestling" also.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:04 PM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

Where's KID EPOXY when we need him!

Chris923
Old 05-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: H5487

Therefore, I've come to the conclusion that many, if not most, postings in the AMA Discussions forum are best used for entertainment purposes only.
Harvey

Great!

All this should be about entertainment...shouldn’t it??? AMA as well as this forum...

Sure beats the early days when only the devout reverence of AMA and the incessant demonization of other modelers were standard fare.

We’ve come a long ways...and I have learned a lot along the way too... Found out there are many here that simply would not be apart of model aviation without AMA.

Much thanks goes to RCU for the very helpful knowledge made available to us and for a better understanding of what our hobby really is.

Now, I need to update my RCU membership by giving them support for another great year... RCU promotes model aviation and is a great asset to all model aviators regardless of whether they pay or not...and that is why I support them at the highest level... How ‘bout you guys? Just want to complain??? Hmmm...how ironic reality is when made to face it...
Hit that one pretty good.

Forum=An Internet message board. I would tend to add an occasional bias moderation exist. Other than that I suppose that covers the bases of most of our posts.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:18 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

[quote]ORIGINAL: chris923

Where's KID EPOXY when we need him!

Chris923

Old 05-05-2012, 06:01 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

It's a hobby after all.
I'd rather read a joke or funny comment then a dead serious political discussion about something most of us can't predict anyways.
See all the comments about the recent UAV regulations. People predict this and that and how the AMA should make laws.
Do they make laws? Do they have a voice - yes. But they can not financially 'support' the politicians like the AOPA does.
So all we can do is wait and see what is coming up.
The discussions are entertaining, but rather boring.
I'd like to read a joke or funny comment rather then seeing people fight about something they don't know enough about.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:14 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

vote to ban hossfly that's like 50 %of the problem if the dude spent half much time flying as he does trolling he'd be sponsored
Old 05-05-2012, 08:08 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Reminds me of the people who want to kill someone who got away with murder.

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Interesting phenomena on Web Forums,,
Thinking that complaining about the complainers somehow doesn't make you a complainer yourself.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:42 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

It is exactly like a Jerry Springer show. Complete with drama and nut cases. Now if someone can just add a little smiley character of the smiley throwing a chair, it would be complete.
Attached Images  
Old 05-06-2012, 04:49 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Maybe something like these could be added ...

Old 05-06-2012, 05:43 AM
hairy46

Al ive has ta say was the peeples thet sum of ust tha weve wood not ned or be a adalt becase we can odint spel good is wrng!
Old 05-06-2012, 09:21 AM
corch

These should be stock too:

This forum provides a place to discuss AMA issues, where it is not moderated by AMA folks.  If you look at the AMA forums at modelaircraft.org, you do not see nearly the vitriol that you see here.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

corch:
If you look at the AMA forums at modelaircraft.org, you do not see nearly the vitriol that you see here.
Does that mean you support or do not support the unbridled absolute dictatorship of AMA's moderators and the absolute dictatorship of the rules that the current AMA Executive Director set down for the AMA Forum? He did so while President of the AMA prior to becoming the salaried ED.
No slur, just absolute facts, as I have copies of written documents demanding I not question the AMA Staff. I was threatened that I could be brought up for charges and elimination from AMA, or possibly just stripped of all my ratings and barred from participation in AMA events and clubs.

Yet, I stay in there supporting AMA with more $$ than my Life Membership requires, be it AMA, Clubs, modelers, and aero-modeling in every way. I do not let my frequently kicked rear-end stop me from supporting all types of aero-modeling whether I am active in those types or not.

Another thing I do NOT do is keep my nose up to a point where I cannot see the entire horizon and speculate concerning what I see coming down the road. The avalanche is still coming down the slope, and I AIN'T just talking AMA. [:@]

Old 05-06-2012, 11:43 AM
JohnShe

Hossfly, I find your comments intriguing. I assume that you are using "A person who tells people what to do in an autocratic way or who determines behavior in a particular sphere.' as the meaning of the term dictator. Perhaps not, you tell me.

In any case, these are the terms of posting on the AMAforum.

"The Academy of Model Aeronautics, Inc. is a family-oriented organization, and the forums are "G" rated.

Keep in mind that this is a discussion board. Posts that are off-topic, better suited as e-mail back to the original posting member, or one-line zingers (member harassment) will be removed.

HARASSMENT: We welcome individuals of all backgrounds, orientations, and views, so this is our most important rule: Healthy debate and the exchange of ideas are encouraged; threats, abuse, hate speech, personal attacks, and harassment will not be tolerated.

Think of it this way: Attack an idea, not a person. Post: "That's a stupid thing to say," instead of: "You are the stupidest person in the world!"

VULGARITY AND MASKED VULGARITY: Many members find that certain words make them uncomfortable. We ask you to refrain from using vulgar language on our boards. Masked vulgarity is using curse words and trying to "mask" them with other symbols or letters, so that the word isn't spelled out.

BOARD DISRUPTION: We want you to enjoy the topics you discuss on the boards. Any postings that might interfere with the flow of discussion (e.g., off-topic posts, clutter posts [eg., "me too"], etc.) will be removed without notice at the board monitors' discretion.

UNACCEPTABLE DISCUSSION: We don't allow the promotion of illegal activities on our boards. We reserve the right to remove posts that we believe involve nonconsensual activities or would likely result in serious harm to an individual.

CLASSIFIED, COMMERCIAL, OR SOLICITING POSTS: Posts soliciting or advertising events, items or businesses, which include phone numbers, Web sites, buy/sell items, SPAM, etc., are not permitted and will be removed.

All posts with signature lines that include links to other forumsand message boards that are not associated withThe Academy of Model Aeronautics, Inc.will be deletedthis includes copy and pasting posts in other forums to the AMA forum.

SINGLE POSTS ONLY: In order to avoid the appearance of SPAM, please do not post the same message more than once per board and make sure it's relevant to the board and/or folder in which you post it. If you post the same message in more than one folder on a board, or more than once in the same folder, the board manager will leave one copy of the message in the most appropriate folder and delete the rest without notice.

POSTING PERSONAL INFORMATION: Addresses, phone numbers (fax, pager, etc.), and other private information doesn't belong on the boards.
The only exception to this rule is contact information for legitimate resources and non-profit organizations. All posts containing phone numbers may be removed without notice.

Keep things positive. Even if you've decided you don't like someone, at least respecthis/her opinion. And if you don't share an interest in a topic or you think it's lame, don't post there. Your comments about not liking the topic will be removed.

We will do our best to judge posts on their own merits and in context; however, we do reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. If you have any questions concerning your use of the boards, please refer to our Terms of Service, which you agreed upon during your registration. "

Please tell us which ones you don't like. Why are they dictatorial? To me, they seem quite reasonable and well suited to any forum. But then, I have been wrong before. So enlighten us.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:13 PM
hairy46

ORIGINAL: hairy46

Al ive has ta say was the peeples thet sum of ust tha weve wood not ned or be a adalt becase we can odint spel good is wrng!
I til stund bye whaht I 1rsted sayd hear!
Old 05-06-2012, 04:15 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Boy, If the mods here on RCU went by those rules, about 2/3rds of the posts would not be allowed. I'm not sure if thats good or bad.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Veraster

This thread made me laugh. I've never clicked on the AMA section. So I decided to take a look and this was the first thread I saw.

Epic win.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.