Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Thanx for getting me junkmail

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Thanx for getting me junkmail

Old 07-09-2012, 03:19 PM
KidEpoxy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanx for getting me junkmail

Best part of owning a domain is the email server.
You just create a new email just for each company you deal with,
and you know where it came from by who it is addressed to.

Take the email address I made up just for when I signed up with AMA.
I didnt use tower6_09@xxxxxxx because thats the one I made up just for shopping at Tower.
I didnt use the grayson@xxxxxx nor the geikotx@xxxxxxx because those are just for grayson and geiko.
I made up an email just for AMA, and it even has AMA spelt out in it

So now when I egt junkmail addressed to grayson@xxxxx I know it was grayson that sold my info.
And if I get junk addressed to tc_tx@xxxxx I know it was TC that sold me out to the spammers.

So when I get junkmail to the address I only gave to AMA,
well, who do you figure sold me out to the spammers?

in unrelated news,
I just got an 3rdparty e-junkmail offer for AMA members emailed to the address I only gave to AMA.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:03 PM
rw Guinn

Default RE: Thanx for getting me junkmail

Not entirely trueI have received no junk mail from my AMA account.
there are lots of ways to acquire your email address, that don't involve anybody selling it to somebody else.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:40 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

So then you could quickly and easily void that email addy and send them a new one you create just as easily,, but no, you come online and piss and moan about something you think the ama has once again done wrong. I don't think it a real stretch to say "who cares"

Life's short KE,, Spam is like commercials on TV,, ignore it and you'll be happier
Old 07-09-2012, 08:16 PM
cj_rumley

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

So then you could quickly and easily void that email addy and send them a new one you create just as easily,, but no, you come online and piss and moan about something you think the ama has once again done wrong. I don't think it a real stretch to say "who cares"

Life's short KE,, Spam is like commercials on TV,, ignore it and you'll be happier
And AMAcould just as easily not sell its membership list to spammers. Many reputable companies don't, many others let one on their mail list opt in/out. Not everyone owns a domain, most don't care for spam. He wasn't P&Ming about it, just letting others know what to expect from an org they trust. I for one would like to see AMArise above the sleazy marketing games, like the 'affinity' programs, basically a legal fraud that sells the AMA 's respected name to nonamewhomever cuts them in on the take.

CJ
Old 07-09-2012, 08:26 PM
scale only 4 me

yawn
Old 07-09-2012, 08:45 PM
cj_rumley

yawn
Hope you enjoyed those unsolicited DVDs and collector coins that 'AMA' sent you, and then dunned you for payment. I did - hung with piece of string they made nice shiny, spinning targets for my .22 pellet gun.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:09 PM
TimJ

So then you could quickly and easily void that email addy and send them a new one you create just as easily,, but no, you come online and piss and moan about something you think the ama has once again done wrong. I don't think it a real stretch to say ''who cares''

+1

Funny part is the AMA gives you a way to "opt-out"

Old 07-10-2012, 02:09 AM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: cj_rumley

yawn
Hope you enjoyed those unsolicited DVDs and collector coins that 'AMA' sent you, and then dunned you for payment. I did - hung with piece of string they made nice shiny, spinning targets for my .22 pellet gun.

Speak english,, I have no idea what you're talking about,, the only thing they "dunned" me for is the mag they make me subscribe too. That's the worse spam they offer if you ask me. Maybe I'll take the 12 gauge to it,, that might be fun
Old 07-10-2012, 06:16 AM
corch
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Best part of owning a domain is the email server.
You just create a new email just for each company you deal with,
and you know where it came from by who it is addressed to.

Take the email address I made up just for when I signed up with AMA.
I didnt use tower6_09@xxxxxxx because thats the one I made up just for shopping at Tower.
I didnt use the grayson@xxxxxx nor the geikotx@xxxxxxx because those are just for grayson and geiko.
I made up an email just for AMA, and it even has AMA spelt out in it

So now when I egt junkmail addressed to grayson@xxxxx I know it was grayson that sold my info.
And if I get junk addressed to tc_tx@xxxxx I know it was TC that sold me out to the spammers.

So when I get junkmail to the address I only gave to AMA,
well, who do you figure sold me out to the spammers?

in unrelated news,
I just got an 3rdparty e-junkmail offer for AMA members emailed to the address I only gave to AMA.
I'm sorry, but it's right here:

"

E-mail has provided AMA with the opportunity to get information to our members in a timely cost-efficient manner. AMA on occassion partners with reputable firms to promote products that will benefit both the member and the association. AMA does not trade or sell E-mail or mailing addresses.If you would prefer that we not include your name, please check the box(es) below.

<input id="ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_chkMailersEmail" type="checkbox" name="ctl00$ContentPlaceHolder1$chkMailersEmail" style="font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial; font-size: 11px; font-style: inherit; color: rgb(59, 56, 56); " /> Please do not use my E-mail address for anything other than official AMA business.
<input id="ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_chkMailersMail" type="checkbox" name="ctl00$ContentPlaceHolder1$chkMailersMail" checked="checked" style="font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial; font-size: 11px; font-style: inherit; color: rgb(59, 56, 56); " /> Please do not use my mailing address for anything other than official AMA business.

If you didn't check the top box also, you may get some "junk" email.

So you really have no one to blame but yourself.....where has personal responsibility gone these days? If you want to address this issue, go to your Web profile on the AMA website. If you want to continue to B&M about junk/spam, do nothing.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:17 AM
crash1ace

I still cant believe people complain about the magazine. There is simply nothing wrong with it, Its an enjoyable part of the hobby to read and
learn about the many different parts of this hobby. Its well worth the price of admission to me no matter how costly it gets.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:48 AM
KidEpoxy

ORIGINAL: corch

I'm sorry, but it's right here:

''

E-mail has provided AMA with the opportunity to get information to our members in a timely cost-efficient manner. AMA on occassion partners with reputable firms to promote products that will benefit both the member and the association. AMA does not trade or sell E-mail or mailing addresses. If you would prefer that we not include your name, please check the box(es) below.

<input id=''ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_chkMailersEmail'' type=''checkbox'' name=''ctl00$ContentPlaceHolder1$chkMailersEmail'' style=''font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial; font-size: 11px; font-style: inherit; color: rgb(59, 56, 56); '' /> Please do not use my E-mail address for anything other than official AMA business.
<input id=''ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_chkMailersMail'' type=''checkbox'' name=''ctl00$ContentPlaceHolder1$chkMailersMail'' checked=''checked'' style=''font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial; font-size: 11px; font-style: inherit; color: rgb(59, 56, 56); '' /> Please do not use my mailing address for anything other than official AMA business.

If you didn't check the top box also, you may get some ''junk'' email.

So you really have no one to blame but yourself.....where has personal responsibility gone these days? If you want to address this issue, go to your Web profile on the AMA website. If you want to continue to B&M about junk/spam, do nothing.
no,
you are quick to assume I didnt have that box checked,
and even AMA guy TimJ is happy to assume I didnt have it checked,
and you both assumed wrong

so if we are gonna play Show & Tell, ok I'll play too-
here's a screen grab of my settings,
so now tell you just what I was doing wrong for these years
that it is somehow MY fault for not taking "personal responsibility" as you put it

Just how much more checked was I supposed to check it?
Its been as checked as it can check

it is NOT just B&M to point out I got junk email despite that box being checked this whole time

TimJ
Funny part is the AMA gives you a way to "opt-out"
Not as funny as you think.

Oh, you didnt seem to say that AMA would never hand our info to junkmailers with 'AMA Only" deals,
are you gonna came back and say it?
Or are you gonna keep quiet in regard to AMA policy on generating spam for us

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51798.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1780427  
Old 07-10-2012, 05:58 PM
rw Guinn

Nobody forced you to give them an email address.
Heck, nobody FORCED you to join.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:09 PM
corch

You assumed I assumed, when actually I said, "If" (emphasis added). Perhaps you need better security within your domain....I would ASSUME someone so savvy to have their own domain would have heard of data mining.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:22 AM
bradpaul

Do you really believe data mining companies like AXCIOM http://www.acxiom.com  dont already have all your email addresses your home address,where you work, how much you make, what car you drive, what you buy, and just about everything else?

And they sell the data to marketing companies?

Welcome to the 21st century.....................

Brad
Old 07-11-2012, 07:54 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Does anyone have a clue as to what KE is trying to prove, what is his point? What does he expect to happen, what does he want to happen? It seems his whole purpose on these forums is to stir the pot, get a meaningless argument started . . . to what end? Some might wonder if he even has a clue.

WAIT FOR IT . . . .
Old 07-11-2012, 08:13 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Neat thing about MY provider is the spam catcher. If one gets thru, I can mark it SPAM with a button, and next time they don´t get thru.

Sometimes I check the spam bucket for stuff that should get through. All part of having Email.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 07-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

KE, Please tell us exactly what you are hopping to achieve with this thread. Maybe if it was understood better something might come of it.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:02 PM
KidEpoxy

You assumed I assumed, when actually I said, ''If'' (emphasis added). Perhaps you need better security within your domain....I would ASSUME someone so savvy to have their own domain would have heard of data mining.
are you telling me AS A FACT that it didnt come from some ama condoned and supplied deal?

cause it sure sounds like your other post was just accepting that it DID come from AMA
and that I was to blame for not checking the box (which you were wrong about, the box was checked).
So now you are pulling a 180 on your opinion and suddenly no longer believe it had AMA's blessing?
Odd, your first impulsive post was that of course it did come from AMA.
> "If you didn't check the top box also, you may get some "junk" email. "

. . . .

ORIGINAL: bradpaul
Do you really believe data mining companies like AXCIOM http://www.acxiom.com dont already have all your email addresses your home address,where you work, how much you make, what car you drive, what you buy, and just about everything else?

And they sell the data to marketing companies?
are you telling me AS A FACT that it didnt come from some ama condoned and supplied deal?

. . . .

Old 07-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Are you telling us as a FACT that it did come from an ama condoned and supplied deal?
Old 07-11-2012, 02:51 PM

This may be helpful to some, maybe not...

http://www.modelaircraft.org/privacy.aspx
Old 07-11-2012, 04:16 PM
cj_rumley

KE-

Just for giggles, did the header on the latest spam start like this:

"From: AxxAgeStore.com <[email protected]>

To: Special Offer for AMA Members"

If so, your contact info along every other Tom, Dick and Harry that pays dues to AMA must have come from some data mining company like AXCIOM. Yeah, right.

CJ
Old 07-12-2012, 06:28 AM
corch

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

You assumed I assumed, when actually I said, ''If'' (emphasis added). Perhaps you need better security within your domain....I would ASSUME someone so savvy to have their own domain would have heard of data mining.

cause it sure sounds like your other post was just accepting that it DID come from AMA
and that I was to blame for not checking the box (which you were wrong about, the box was checked).
So now you are pulling a 180 on your opinion and suddenly no longer believe it had AMA's blessing?
Odd, your first impulsive post was that of course it did come from AMA.
> "If you didn't check the top box also, you may get some "junk" email. "
No, I'm not telling you as a fact. I don't know what YOU got in YOUR email. I can tell you AS A FACT, I haven't gotten any spam/junk from the AMA though. Care to make any assumptions about what Iget in my email?

Look, I was only trying to help, and looked at logical things that may or may not have been done. You could have said, "no, I've got the box checked." Instead you went on a rant about assumptions and show and tell. Since you seem to get great joy at pointing out that I (and others)were incorrect or don't know the source of the mystery email (which you have not really identitfied, and at this point, I don't care) I'm done trying to help you. And I'll reserve the right to change my opinions based on more information, thank you very much. Instead of working the issues, you instead want to RA with anyone that offers any semblance of assistance. The fact remains, it is your personal email account, and it is your personal responsibility. I don't care about who or what gets delivered to your personal domain and email server. It's yours, not mine, and IDGAS.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:28 AM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

KE, Please tell us exactly what you are hopping to achieve with this thread. Maybe if it was understood better something might come of it.
He's just hoping someone will get into an argument with him, that's as plain as the spam in my spam folder.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:30 AM
KidEpoxy

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

Are you telling us as a FACT that it did come from an ama condoned and supplied deal?
well gee Red, lets read my posts and see if I did

(read read read)

Nope, I didnt state as a fact that it did.
I stated as a fact that I I make up new addresses for each place.
I stated as a fact that I got junkmail from the address that I only used for AMA.
It didnt use the Tower address I gave to Tower, didnt use the geiko address I gave to the lizard.
It didnt use any of the other unique-use addresses I have.

And yet folks choose to believe someone data-mined KE so hard
that they got a gazillion other ama member addresses from mining KE (aka magical ubermining)
just so they can lay the blame on me

I presented the information I have, and some info we all have.
And folks responded akin to saying it is my fault for being data-mined (not that AMA partnered with someone).

So Red,
are you saying as a fact that AMA didnt give that address out,
are you saying as a fact that they did,
or are you gonna say maybe / maybe-not because they might have?
Old 07-12-2012, 06:48 AM
KidEpoxy

Look, I was only trying to help, and looked at logical things that may or may not have been done.
No, you weren't.
This look familiar-
"you really have no one to blame but yourself"
"If you want to continue to B&M about junk/spam"

You tried, and did, BLAME ME for the problem.
You didnt ask if my box was check,
You didnt say Hey, look if that box is checked.
You instead took a shot at laying condescending blame on me.

You could have said, ''no, I've got the box checked.''
Oh, so you want me to take a reasonable and civil response,
yet thats exactly what you didnt do.
Had you tried being civil and helpful rather than laying blame on something you dont know
maybe you would have gotten a response from me that didnt call you out for your false accusation.
To wit:
I wouldnt have had to call you out on your accusatory fingerpointing
if you hadnt had pointed your accusatory finger.

.... don't know the source of the mystery email (which you have not really identitfied, and at this point, I don't care) I'm done trying to help you. And I'll reserve the right to change my opinions based on more information,
Well, maybe you wouldnt have to change your opinions or recant your accusations so much
if you waited for, or asked for, some information before jumping at the chance to lay unfounded blame.

Read post#1.
Quote where I declared that AMA did it and I blame them.
See, I dont have to recant any blaming AMA because I didnt jump to unfounded conclusions.
I stated some facts and the RA crowd here rushed to blame me for something that AMA might have done

Oh, just to be clear,
you are never going to actually apologize for your boxcheckery fingerpointing, are you?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.