Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Should you belong to certain AMA clubs ? read on ...

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Should you belong to certain AMA clubs ? read on ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 05:17 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Should you belong to certain AMA clubs ? read on ...

Something that's been eating away at me for a few years now. It's certain AMA clubs that will not allow certain types of Model Aircraft to fly at their field. He's my stand on this issue... If your going to be an AMA charted club ,you should embrace all aspects of the hobby "meaning aircraft" . I live in upstate ,ny and we have some of the best fields around as well as all around people . But there's some that's run by people that have nothing better to do than to micro manage a club to death .. "literally ". I realize that it's fear of loosing a site etc. Let's take jets for example .. i know of a few places,"not just in my area" that absolutely will not even entertain the thought of allowing them anywhere near their place. Now it's ok to fly a EDF at 150-175 there but not a turbine. The reason i was given at one field is they don't have the fly over room. Really? The nearest house is about 300 yards away. I fly a boomer intro and i can't keep it within that? OOOO K . What's happening now is membership is way down . there used to be a waiting list but now the club can't even fill their membership limit. Jet's aren't the only thing being regulated . My thoughts are ... if your going to participate and reap the befits of AMA a chartered club should be able to accommodate all aspects of the hobby. Unless there is a real clear and present reason ,then that's understandable. My wife and i have been thinking for a couple of years now , about moving south to mt. airy ,NC . I did some research in that area as well as Tennessee and i was really disappointed in the number of clubs that wouldn't allow jets at their fields. it was alot . For me that threw up a red flag warning me to stay clear of that place. who knows what else they restrict. I take that as a club that will micro manage you to death with meaningless rules and conditions. WB_1
Old 06-02-2013, 06:24 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Should you belong to certain AMA clubs ? read on ...

Let's suppose you approach a SAM club. Would you expect them to provide you a paved runway and overfly for your jet?

Your comments indicate you would expect an AMA SAM club to embrace your aviation efforts, including turbojets. I am skeptical.

Just a thought.
Dave Olson
Old 06-02-2013, 08:46 AM
countilaw

A club is a group of people that have like interests. The club that I belong to is over 50 years old. So they must be doing something right. Yet we don't allow turbines either.

Just being an AMA chartered club doesn't not mean that they must allow whoever fly whatever they want. Control line clubs don't allow RC planes to fly, indoor clubs don't allow Control line, Free Flight clubs don't allow RC. It's a group of people that have like interests, not a group of people that cater to everyone else's wants. The charter members of these clubs worked hard building their field and membership, and they must protect their interests.

The possible solution to the problem would be that if one wants to fly jets, one would be start a club of their own. To start, find yourself an area suitable for a flying sight and come up with the money to pay for it. Finding a suitable site is not an easy task. If it were so easy, you wouldn't be looking for a place to fly, now would you? After you obtain a field, if you can, you must build a runway. Let's see, that would be several thousand dollars for clearing and leveling an area large enough for the runway. Now comes several more thousand dollars for paving that runway with asphalt. I don't think petromat would work very well for turbine engines.

Add a several more thousand of dollars for shelters, restrooms, tables and barrier fences. And walla, you've got your own field and now you need members for a club and you can make your own rules. Ah yes, you can make the rules and you'll expect all new members to follow your rules, right?

There are reasons that some clubs don't allow turbines, but regardless, it's their field, and their club and their rules.

You don't have to join.

That only my opinion but it is a solution to your problem.

Frank

Old 06-02-2013, 09:26 AM
warbird_1

why doesn't your club allow turbines?
Old 06-02-2013, 09:27 AM
warbird_1

ORIGINAL: Scar

Let's suppose you approach a SAM club. Would you expect them to provide you a paved runway and overfly for your jet?

Your comments indicate you would expect an AMA SAM club to embrace your aviation efforts, including turbojets. I am skeptical.

Just a thought.
Dave Olson
huu? sam?
As in sams club ? As in the retail store sams club?
Old 06-02-2013, 09:38 AM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every club has a Boss, you just want to work for them He pulls the strings and you bounce, or find a different JOB. It is run to make money to keep the club operating. The boss can change thing to meet his schedule and make a profit be it CHANGE or what ever. The location of the field and its size make a little difference what you fly and where The type of people in the club means every thing don't get into a club where you do not fit in.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:57 AM
warbird_1

ORIGINAL: Live Wire

Every club has a Boss, you just want to work for them He pulls the strings and you bounce, or find a different JOB. It is run to make money to keep the club operating. The boss can change thing to meet his schedule and make a profit be it CHANGE or what ever. The location of the field and its size make a little difference what you fly and where The type of people in the club means every thing don't get into a club where you do not fit in.
well how would you feel if kadets ,cubs or waco's were banned ?
Old 06-02-2013, 10:04 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: warbird_1
huu? sam?
As in sams club ? As in the retail store sams club?

No I believe he means Society of Antique Modelers and vintiage free flights as well as RC radio assist. Airplane that don,t need much in the way of a runway and fly at around 15 mph.

Warbird I understand your plight but it is unreasonable to expect every AMA club to provide every possible venue of that the AMA emcompasses , nor is that the duty of the AMA or the individual clubs. I can guarantee you that my float club (AMA) and the Controlline club (AMA) that I belong to cannot handle your turbine. How about indoor?

OK now I got a proposition for you. Three of us here at Kingman now have turbines and have been flying them at a remote dry lake and are in need of a waiver signoff. At which time we will start flying at our home RC field. 900 foot runway 100 wide 700 foot cross wind runway compacted desert hardpan (much like dry lake consistency) FOD screen required.

Jets will be welcomed and our overfly area is better than a mile and we are fortunate to have no noise restrictions The only restriction we have is no 72Mhz since it is not safe here. so if Ya'll care to pay a vist out here and you want to do some signoffs I will see you get a years membership in our club and other considerations.

John
Old 06-02-2013, 10:29 AM
acerc

My take on this is "If they don't want me, I don't want them"!  And move along to the next club.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:47 AM
Live Wire

ORIGINAL: acerc

My take on this is ''If they don't want me, I don't want them''! And move along to the next club.
Bingo we have a winner In the old day we went out and found a place to fly and did not have to worry about a club. We just asked permission and every one was happy. Not now, it is our way or not at all.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Live Wire

ORIGINAL: Live Wire

well how would you feel if kadets ,cubs or waco's were banned ?
I would find a place where they were not banned. At my age I would not take to long
Old 06-02-2013, 01:21 PM
[email protected]

it seems to me that all clubs have there rules>> my club wont let jets fly there because of to much dry grass around>> iam for club rules to keep our field safe> jets are getting to be on there way out>>i dont like the dmv rules but what can i do
Old 06-02-2013, 02:05 PM
Jim Thomerson

I belong to two AMA sanctioned control line clubs. Only control line airplanes are allowed on their fields. I know of another municipal control line field where no other types of airplanes are allowed. In two of the three instances there is an RC field next door. (soccer fields in the third instance.)
Old 06-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Silent-AV8R

My take on this is ''If they don't want me, I don't want them''! And move along to the next club.
My take on it is that clubs have a perfect right to determine what they will allow at their club field. If you do not like what they are doing, then find a club that agrees with your interests.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:02 PM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

Warbird 1,

Im pretty sure these guys fly turbine models not far from Mt. Airy... its a nice grass strip from what I understand.
Check out their gallery.

http://www.riversiderc.com/index.html

Cheers,
James
Old 06-02-2013, 04:41 PM
countilaw

why doesn't your club allow turbines?

We don't allow turbines because we have residential areas on two sides of the field. The other two sides are boardered by a lake. We also have a petromat runway. We have a nice field and we've put a lot of money and work into it. We don't want to take a chance on losing it.

Frank

Old 06-02-2013, 04:54 PM
acerc

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

My take on it is that clubs have a perfect right to determine what they will allow at their club field. If you do not like what they are doing, then find a club that agrees with your interests.
Is that not what I said? And that is also part of why I am at a club where jets do not fly. LOL
Old 06-02-2013, 05:35 PM
CashD

He's my stand on this issue... If your going to be an AMA charted club ,you should embrace all aspects of the hobby "meaning aircraft" .
So you have no problem with control line aircraft in the middle of the runway used by your jets then. Good to know.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:54 PM
[email protected]

try and find a club you like or try another hobby like cars or what ever>>
Old 06-02-2013, 06:13 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Winter in Apache junction AZ and the Arizona Model Aviators AMA#1600 was/is thinking of banning FPV ... I personally don't believe any model disipline should be banned unless it is impractical for some reason not just personal.  The AMA club cost 80k to put in 18 years ago when they lost their old field due to housing/noise issues.  2 years ago another 52k to top the 100'x750' runway with 1-1/2' of blacktop. Very expensive facility to operate. Had their first noise complaint in 18 ears last winter during an IMAC contest when a couple of planes were staging 1/2 mile to the west over a new housing area ...They also Ban Turbines in the summer because of the fire hazard to the surrounding desert .... They have to be really careful as their land is part of a county park system and controled by Flood Control. They really can't afford to be noticed for perceived problems by their neighbors.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:42 PM
pitts150hp

I see some clubs that are always fighting .I feel that IM not wanting to watch the JERRY SPRINGER SHOW .WISH ALL AMA MEMBERS COULD GET ALONG .
Old 06-02-2013, 06:50 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

I used to belong to a club that had it in for IMAC (going as far as the President and his Old Fart buddies calling us "IMAC Ba$tard$") and kept changing the rules until it was impossible for any IMAC plane to fly. Now no one 3Ded but just practiced and the Old Farts simply did not like the big planes. The funny thing was that they imposed noise restrictions that 99% of the planes failed...glow, gas...it did not matter but they only made the IMAC planes stay on the ground.

We lost the field in the end to a golf course and the county built us a new field that the younger generation took over and still runs to this day 10 years later. If it flies...bring it out and take it up!

Beave

Old 06-02-2013, 06:50 PM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: pitts150hp

I see some clubs that are always fighting .I feel that IM not wanting to watch the JERRY SPRINGER SHOW .WISH ALL AMA MEMBERS COULD GET ALONG .
It's not AMA members it's just people ... Good guys are just good guys ... Aholes well are just what they are ... Even a good guy can be an Ahole ounce i a while .... Last year most of my club members were getting fed up with my *****ing about rule breakig and unsafe flying ... Gave up this year and they talk to me again ... still have the bad and dangerious flyers though. In the long run it wasn't worth the agrivation now I Just get under cover when they fly.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:55 PM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: bevar

I used to belong to a club that had it in for IMAC (going as far as the President and his Old Fart buddies calling us "IMAC Ba$tard$") and kept changing the rules until it was impossible for any IMAC plane to fly. Now no one 3Ded but just practiced and the Old Farts simply did not like the big planes. The funny thing was that they imposed noise restrictions that 99% of the planes failed...glow, gas...it did not matter but they only made the IMAC planes stay on the ground.

We lost the field in the end to a golf course and the county built us a new field that the younger generation took over and still runs to this day 10 years later. If it flies...bring it out and take it up!

Beave

Bet the Old gezzers are there too. Remember U to will get old and crotchidey, if UR lucky, that is. Life is to short to Argue. go fly. And fly what ya brung.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:17 PM
speedaholic
My Feedback: (4)

I would talk with the members and educate them on turbines, clubs should have voting on issues. Bring it up at the meeting and try to get them to be open to the turbines. They are just worried about something they probably don't know much about. I know our club has its problems but in the end its about the flying and friends I have made.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.