Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA's Model Aviation, Oct. 2013 issue

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA's Model Aviation, Oct. 2013 issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 12:15 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AMA's Model Aviation, Oct. 2013 issue

Anyone got thoughts on the inside front cover with the Kid doing a Fkate-Board fly-by the Quadcopter. This after a couple deaths with chopper blades, one just recently.
I could not believe it when I opened that first page of the inside cover.

Here is my message to AMA. No reply as of yet.
>>>>>>>>>>>>
I cannot believe the INSIDE cover of this magazine, supposedly a magazine that should be amplifying SAFETY and YOU print such a picture.
Showing a young person performing a skate-board jump right in front of the rotating blades of an un-winged machine with 4 rotors whirlingis, in my long learned opinion, absolutely so XXXXxxxx incomprehensible that I am unable to describe it in any way.
You obviously did this for the advertisement funds that Horizon Hobby provides you. In this case, I wish to express my thoughts to you in that this is the worst, absolutely horrible display of outrageous (less than smart ) that I could NEVER think of.
AMA having had at least two (2) events, each of a person losing his life, one very recently, using a helicopter in close quarters, as a long time model aviation person, and AMA supporter, I am very saddened that my AMA would stoop so low as to print this. This picture will create another obstacle
for young helicopter fliers to display their less-than-learned abilities. If it does so, I will be on your side of the case. UNREAL I wish!

I do wish that AMA could and would do much better. I have not opened another page yet, except for obtaining some email addresses. Hopefully I won't PUKE on the remainder of this magazine.
Absolutely OUTRAGEOUS.
Horrace D. Cain
AMA L-93 Life, once an EC member, and a long time area CD.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:18 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

their, MA staff, excuse will be something like:

the camera zoom and angle are deceiving, makes it look as though the kid is within 2-3 ft of the micro-rotorcraft. really more like 10 ft of separation.

or

that pic is actually 2 pics photoshopped to make them seem as one.

course that is not something your average young person looking at that foto would realize.
and, of course, we all know that add salesmen will not turn down most anything that generates some commission for them.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:39 AM
bradpaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turn down an add from Horizion Hobby......? Especially one that does what most here advocate........ growing the hobby by apealing to youth.

That add shows the future of our hobby, skater dudes flying quadcopters. Get with the program Hoss.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:38 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Hoss has a real point! Skateboarding is very dangerous.

Man, I hope the old guys in AMA don't get the idea to try it... due to this ad... as the broken hips will ruin our new affordable health insurance act that is mandatory for the lower echelon... Mandatory insurance is a great thing and I'd hate to see it get all mucked up...
Old 09-26-2013, 12:41 PM
Hossfly

Really, I don't give a "Tinker's Dam" whether it is the greatest photography lesson or what. For those of you with small kids, grand-children and great grandchildren, placing such a picture -- no matter how such picture is conceived, overlays, etc all easy enough to do, played with that stuff a bit wayway back in late '50s and early '60s for target study prior to going on Alert for a week-4 weeks, home station or to Spain/Morrocco, et.al. so I am familiar with the fact that it can be done big time now. The picture defines the skate board YOUNG PERSON very close to the airship be it a 4 wheeler or a helicopter, or a jet.

IMO it is a dumb-XXX thing for a supposedly safety conscious organization to promote.?? Young folks today have no concept of anything except what they want to do to show their might.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:47 PM
littlecrankshaf

I am starting to think that it happens to everyone at some point in life... if you live long enough but for now I can think of a whole lot of things our youth do that if only skateboarding and FPVing would displace some of it I would consider it a positive thing...

Last edited by littlecrankshaf; 09-27-2013 at 04:51 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:20 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

My first impression while viewing that ad , Is that it's kinda sad that Horizon don't think their new toy is cool enough to hold it's own , and so have to borrow some cheesy cool in the form of the skateboard dude . Funny that ,, that when I was young the thought of remote controlling anything was cool enough to stand on it's own without needing to borrow kid cred from some other hobby .

PS , Hoss makes a VERY timely point of the casualness with which the skateboard dude and the multirotor share the page . Christ , I ain't saying they should have folks in body bunker armor for the ads , but would showing a proper scene where the folks are having sensible , safety smart fun be too much to ask ?

(By sensible safety smart fun I do mean keeping the damn heli in the live flight area and the pilot at the pilot station where he belongs , ALA the AMA safety code)
Old 09-27-2013, 04:28 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Hoss has a real point! Skateboarding is very dangerous.

Man, I hope the old guys in AMA don't get the idea to try it... due to this ad... as the broken hips will ruin our new affordable health insurance act that is mandatory for the lower echelon... Mandatory insurance is a great thing and I'd hate to see it get all mucked up...
Mandatory insurance is a great thing that the Bolsheviks might have dreamed up had they had the vision. In a society like ours where 50% of the population works to support the other half who do not put anything tangible on the table, mandatory insurance will prove to be nothing more than a tax on those who are "the producers".
So yeah........"Da Komrade..!!!" Mandatory insurance is very much in line with our vision of Utopia..!!!
Read up on the Bolsheviks and who these people were.
Those who fail to learn from history are our worst enemies.

Hoss..yes, that ad looks like something from an episode of Beavis & Butthead.

Last edited by combatpigg; 09-27-2013 at 04:34 PM. Reason: To add a "K" to Comrade
Old 09-27-2013, 05:06 PM
littlecrankshaf

Not sure about the history we may repeat in regards to FPV but sure is comforting to know people are fully in gear when it comes to having mommy protect ourselves from ourselves...the future is bright.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:10 PM
combatpigg

You are on record as endorsing skateboarders to "play chicken" with quadcopters then.....in spite of what mommy's wisdom might think about it.
It sure takes some raw courage to take that stance, I'll tell ya.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:27 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Mandatory insurance is a great thing that the Bolsheviks might have dreamed up had they had the vision. In a society like ours where 50% of the population works to support the other half who do not put anything tangible on the table, mandatory insurance will prove to be nothing more than a tax on those who are "the producers".
So yeah........"Da Komrade..!!!" Mandatory insurance is very much in line with our vision of Utopia..!!!
Read up on the Bolsheviks and who these people were.
Those who fail to learn from history are our worst enemies.
Where would AMA be without mandatory insurance?
Old 09-27-2013, 06:51 PM
littlecrankshaf

How is it you are the one that is so empowered to determine what I am on the record for?

Up until you interjected the term "playing chicken" it was not even part of this discussion. From what I am gathering Hoss's concerns were how AMA allowed or even accepted payment for an advertisement that depicted an unsafe use of "modeling" practices... Now, for the "record" I do not skateboard and I do not FPV.... But the fact remands, if two consenting adults or kids by virtue of parental control or lack thereof is condoned by those involved, then so be it... But that is a far cry from being for it...Or as you put it "endorsing" it...

Last edited by littlecrankshaf; 09-27-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:11 PM
My Feedback: (1)

The ad has little to do with flying a quadcopter,
but a lot to do with showcasing a relatively new way to use a video
camera to capture action sports.
If you are over 30 or so, you may be excused for not getting it.

From the standpoint of safety,
skater-dude has much more to be concerned about than
the presence of a flying object.
The only problem with the ad is he is not wearing protective gear.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:16 PM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by 804
The ad has little to do with flying a quadcopter,
but a lot to do with showcasing a relatively new way to use a video
camera to capture action sports.
If you are over 30 or so, you may be excused for not getting it.

From the standpoint of safety,
skater-dude has much more to be concerned about than
the presence of a flying object.
The only problem with the ad is he is not wearing protective gear.
804, I think you get it!! A more reasonable contention...

I wonder what the Skateboarders of America organization has to say about the ad...LOL
Old 09-28-2013, 02:55 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Come on guys, it's everyday fact of life. Kids ride skateboards, bikes, mini motto , go karts....... They also fly heli, park flyers, planes . It's obvious from the pic that is a superimposotion, one of them is even slightly out of focus.
Plus those quads are not going to kill anybody anytime soon. We are not talking here about a 600 size heli.
Don't try to see a cat with five legs, they only have FOUR
Old 09-28-2013, 04:03 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

he is not to young a kid he has a big beard i really dont care what flyers do just so long as i dont get hurt>>
Old 09-28-2013, 10:42 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Where would AMA be without mandatory insurance?
The AMA would be stationed squarely in a parallel universe when compared with Obamacare.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:11 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by combatpigg
The AMA would be stationed squarely in a parallel universe when compared with Obamacare.
Sorry CP...that one went right over my head. I'd ask you to explain but I'm afraid you might.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:31 PM
Jim Thomerson

I'n with Horace on this one.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:42 PM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by Jim Thomerson
I'n with Horace on this one.
You gonna write a letter too? LOL
Old 09-30-2013, 08:21 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember seeing that and it struck my same thoughts. I kept thinking to myself, in light of the accidents this is not using the best judgment.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:23 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Sorry CP...that one went right over my head. I'd ask you to explain but I'm afraid you might.
Crank, I was drinking coke and almost spit it all out on the words, "I'm afraid you might."!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:22 AM
bradpaul

That darn AMA .......... how dare they! Yes all advertising media had to be submitted by August 15, 2013 in order to be in the October issue of Model Aviation............ but when the RC heli pilot died on September 5, 2013 they should have gone back and reviewed all the advertising!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STOP THE PRESSES ............... destroy all the copies........................ there is a picture of a FPV quadcopter taking video of a skateboarder!!!!!!!!!! just insensitive..............
Old 09-30-2013, 02:15 PM
littlecrankshaf

I don't think AMA should react based on some other incident...pulling the ad because of the Heli incident would not have been well thought out IMO. Leading from the behind has never worked out!
Old 09-30-2013, 03:37 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any thoughts of the lead time for printed mags?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.