Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Park Flyer Membership and Multi Rotor Aircraft

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Park Flyer Membership and Multi Rotor Aircraft

Old 12-18-2013, 07:43 AM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park Flyer Membership and Multi Rotor Aircraft

Group,

Should the Rules be Changed to allow multi rotor aircraft over 2 pounds? It seems that most multi rotor aircraft I have seen at the local fields are the DJI quad and hex. They are all running Naza controllers so they seem to be safe to include the return to home mode.

i have seen some small indoor quads but they seem to be less controllable than the DJI 450 - 550 class units. I am thinking that the park flyer program should include 550 size multi rotor aircraft and below

I fly multi rotor, foamies, trainers, 3D, Profiles, sport ect.... I am sure most of us can agree I buy my $58 membership for the insurance. Take away the insurance I don't think I would join every year. Knock off $ to drop the mag I would take that option but I understand some love the mag.

i like the PFP but I think it could be changed.

Crash99
Old 12-18-2013, 08:48 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

as near as i can remember, the pfp membership level has already gone the way of the dodo bird.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:09 AM
warningshot

Originally Posted by mongo View Post
as near as i can remember, the pfp membership level has already gone the way of the dodo bird.
It is still listed on the AMA web site. So I guess it is not gone the way of the Dodo bird.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:09 PM
mongo

i seem to remember a council vote to "sunset" the program, just don't remember the time frame.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:40 PM
W7APD Alan

I just rejoined following a lengthy lapse, and I didn't see a Park Flyer class for membership... they did have Park Flyer as a choice among preferences for what you mostly fly, but it made clear that whatever you selected didn't affect what you could fly, as it is an open membership.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:15 PM
cj_rumley

It is still there, Alan, just follow the steps to join AMA on the web page and it will be an option. Like a dinosaur long dead but too stupid to fall down.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:11 PM
combatpigg

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cj_rumley View Post
It is still there, Alan, just follow the steps to join AMA on the web page and it will be an option. Like a dinosaur long dead but too stupid to fall down.
How could this be...?
The PPP magazine proudly boasted several times that the "Park Flyer Movement" was an enormous happening that was sweeping the nation, so better get on board with it now while the getting is good.
If all the rabid, [foaming at the mouth] embracers of the Park Pilot Program who posted page after page of reasons why the AMA NEEDED to EMBRACE this MASSIVE MOVEMENT were to step forward and take a synchronized bow....the Earth's magnetic poles would swap polarity..[lol]
Old 12-21-2013, 08:04 AM
init4fun

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by combatpigg View Post
How could this be...?
The PPP magazine proudly boasted several times that the "Park Flyer Movement" was an enormous happening that was sweeping the nation, so better get on board with it now while the getting is good.
If all the rabid, [foaming at the mouth] embracers of the Park Pilot Program who posted page after page of reasons why the AMA NEEDED to EMBRACE this MASSIVE MOVEMENT were to step forward and take a synchronized bow....the Earth's magnetic poles would swap polarity..[lol]
Hi CP ,

I was one of the few who said "If the AMA want's to try this PP membership experiment , good luck to em" . My basis for not believing it would be viable is the fact that of ALL the parks around where I live , I have NEVER , yes , that's right NEVER seen any youngsters (or anyone of any other age) in those parks/open spaces flying model aircraft of any kind ! It's not like I live in some desolate area , I am about 25 or so miles from Boston , so yea , there are plenty of people around , that's for sure . I think the AMA looked at the numbers of small easy to set up/fly ARFS being sold and based their idea on sheer numbers of these things being sold without looking at WHO is buying them . Every club member I know has their home built "pride and joy" planes AND a pretty good sized collection of small ARFS to beat around the skies when they don't want to risk their nice planes . And we already have AMA memberships , thus many small parkies being sold wouldn't increase ANY membership catagory's ranks . The youngsters are mostly all too immersed in their X boxes , and so all we have is the same core group of dwindling old men with nothing better to do than come up with these grand membership drive ideas and post snarky HobbyKing comments in their avatars . Just as neighborhood stickball and soap box races have faded into the history of bygone days , so too is our hobby being eroded by "instant gratification" electronic toys . So much for progress , eh ?
Old 12-21-2013, 08:31 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Hi CP ,

I was one of the few who said "If the AMA want's to try this PP membership experiment , good luck to em" . My basis for not believing it would be viable is the fact that of ALL the parks around where I live , I have NEVER , yes , that's right NEVER seen any youngsters (or anyone of any other age) in those parks/open spaces flying model aircraft of any kind ! It's not like I live in some desolate area , I am about 25 or so miles from Boston , so yea , there are plenty of people around , that's for sure . I think the AMA looked at the numbers of small easy to set up/fly ARFS being sold and based their idea on sheer numbers of these things being sold without looking at WHO is buying them . Every club member I know has their home built "pride and joy" planes AND a pretty good sized collection of small ARFS to beat around the skies when they don't want to risk their nice planes . And we already have AMA memberships , thus many small parkies being sold wouldn't increase ANY membership catagory's ranks . The youngsters are mostly all too immersed in their X boxes , and so all we have is the same core group of dwindling old men with nothing better to do than come up with these grand membership drive ideas and post snarky HobbyKing comments in their avatars . Just as neighborhood stickball and soap box races have faded into the history of bygone days , so too is our hobby being eroded by "instant gratification" electronic toys . So much for progress , eh ?

+10
Old 12-21-2013, 09:51 PM
crash99

Wow, I read the last few hate comments towards the PPP but that was not my question. It was about allowing all 550 size and below quad and hex multi rotor aircraft to be included in the PPP. The weight limit would exclude them.

Maybe this is simple but if the PPP did not work them the PPP would not have any members and would have when away. But they do have members. We have a few members that could fit the PPP due to what they fly. I do think they have the standard AMA membership.

Crash99
Old 12-22-2013, 07:13 AM
init4fun

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by crash99 View Post
.......... I read the last few hate comments towards the PPP .............
UM , Excuse me , but WHERE , exactly , did you see "Hate" ?????

Believe ME , I truly WISH that we had enough model aircraft interested folks to have made the PPP as well as all other classes of AMA membership a success !!!!!!!!!!

I have NO "Hate" or any other type of "class warfare" for our hobby in my thoughts ! My post was NOT a "told ya so" about the PPP , , , NOOoo , it was a simple statement of FACT that we , as a hobby , are dwindling under the ever encroaching prevalence of electronic toys such as X Box .

If things were MY way , I'd have a flying field on EVERY corner , rather than the golf courses and internet cafes that we now have . Today's youth are no longer fascinated with remote controlling things OR of aircraft in general and so the hobby declines . THAT'S what "Happened" to the PPP , it was a great idea just about 40 years too late !

I won't go on about building our own TXes and RXes (Yes , I actually DID that in my youth) or of growing our own Balsa (No , never did that , but it makes a GREAT example) but the fact remains that today's hobbiest wants everything pre built for them with minimal hand assembly required . Is this a good or bad thing for our hobby and society in general to have a generation of folks who don't have the hand building skills their predecessors had ? I'll not answer that directly , but God help you all when the 3D printer goes down and you actually have to carve your own wingtip outta a chunk of Balsa , not a one of ya will have the skills needed to do so .

When a Guy I respect as much as Red goes and gives my post a big +10 , , I KNOW my post "hit the mark" and will stand behind every word of it . Hate ??? No way pal , more like sadness that I see our great hobby , BUILDING and flying model aircraft , as going the way of the neighborhood stick ball games . If you see hate in there then you really didn't READ my post , more like skimmed it for what YOU wanted to see in it .

Now , as to your original question ;

No way should anything over 2 pounds be covered under the PPP program . Simple logic dictates that as the model aircraft gets larger , so too does the risk associated with it's use . I think the AMA thought quite in depth when the set the 2 pound limit , and I see no reason to change that just cause you want a 500 sized craft covered under the cheaper parkflyer insurance . Wanna fly the small , fun , parkies , GREAT , your just the guy for the PPP , and I say that with NO malice intended . Wanna fly bigger , also fun stuff , well then get with an open membership and be properly covered for your bigger model aircraft . Bending , changing , of otherwise making an end run around the pre existing rules just to fit your wanting to fly larger craft in a public park setting sure isn't going to mitigate any of the dangers the larger craft presents (PS , ANYONE who thinks a 500 sized heli/multirotor is just as safe as a smaller craft needs only to look at the most recent fatality involving a , what was it , a 450 sized , heli ?????)

Pfft , Hate ...... Not even CLOSE !!!!!!!
Old 12-22-2013, 03:17 PM
mongo

+most recent i have seen was a 700 size heli hitting it's own pilot in the head.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:53 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by crash99 View Post
Wow, I read the last few hate comments towards the PPP but that was not my question. It was about allowing all 550 size and below quad and hex multi rotor aircraft to be included in the PPP. The weight limit would exclude them.

Maybe this is simple but if the PPP did not work them the PPP would not have any members and would have when away. But they do have members. We have a few members that could fit the PPP due to what they fly. I do think they have the standard AMA membership.

Crash99
All opinions about the viability of the PPP aside, I think the Park flyer model limits of 2lb and 60 mph were actually well considered and set a reasonable and prudent dividing line between park type models and models that really ought to be flown at designated flying sites.

If someone wants to fly an airplane, a heli OR a quad that is more than 2 lbs and/or flys faster than 60 mph, I think they ought to belly up to the bar and get the regular AMA membership.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:10 AM
cj_rumley

I pretty much agree with Thomas, except for Circle Flyers. They should go to U.S. Aero Modeler's Association
Old 12-23-2013, 08:42 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

LOL That was a good one!