Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA and AMA to sign landmark agreement at AMA Expo 2014

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA and AMA to sign landmark agreement at AMA Expo 2014

Old 01-07-2014, 01:57 PM
  #1  
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (9)
 
RCKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lawton, OK
Posts: 27,580
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default FAA and AMA to sign landmark agreement at AMA Expo 2014

As per my own guidelines I am not entering into a discussion on this matter. Rather, I am simply posting this information to get the word out about this issues.

http://www.newsday.com/business/pres...2014-1.6750771


Text of the Article:

[h=1]FAA and AMA to Sign a Landmark Agreement at AMA Expo 2014[/h]Published: January 7, 2014 2:52 PM

James Williams, executive manager of the FAA Unmanned Aircraft Systems Integration Office will join AMA President Bob Brown on the main Expo stage at 3 p.m. PST, on Saturday, January 11, to sign a Memorandum of Understanding. This agreement institutes a formal relationship between the FAA and the Academy of Model Aeronautics and establishes the platform upon which the AMA and the FAA will jointly work to ensure the continued safe operation of model aircraft in the National Airspace System.
Muncie, IN (PRWEB) January 07, 2014
James Williams, executive manager of the FAA Unmanned Aircraft Systems Integration Office, will join AMA President Bob Brown on the main Expo stage at 3 p.m. PST, on Saturday, January 11, to sign a Memorandum of Understanding. This agreement institutes a formal relationship between the FAA and the Academy of Model Aeronautics and establishes the platform upon which the AMA and the FAA will jointly work to ensure the continued safe operation of model aircraft in the National Airspace System.
“The execution of this document puts the Federal Aviation Administration one step closer to fully enacting the Special Rule for Model Aircraft established as part of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012,” said AMA Executive Director Dave Mathewson. “Still to be realized is FAA’s formal recognition of the AMA as a community-based organization as described by Congress and the agency’s acknowledgment of AMA’s Safety Program as a means of substantiating the safety guidelines and overseeing the operation of recreational unmanned aircraft.”
The AMA has served as the national body for model aviation for 77 years. During that time, the aeromodeling community has achieved an excellent safety record through adherence to AMA’s National Model Aircraft Safety Code and its comprehensive safety program. The efficacy of AMA’s community-based safety program was acknowledged by Congress in the 2012 FAA reauthorization bill, now Public Law 112-95.
The premier exposition for model aviation, AMA Expo 2014, takes place January 10-12, 2014, at the Ontario Convention Center in Ontario CA. Anyone with an interest in the emerging unmanned aircraft systems technology or model aviation in general is encouraged to attend. AMA Expo provides an opportunity to learn more about the hobby, view and purchase the latest in model aircraft technology, mingle with aeromodeling enthusiasts, and listen to presentations by aviation experts.
AMA Expo is hosted by the Academy of Model Aeronautics and is sponsored in part by Go Professional Custom Xtreme Cases, Aerial Media Pros, International Radio Controlled Helicopter Association (IRCHA), Castle Creations, Southwest Aerovista Hobbies, AUVSI’s Unmanned Systems, Estes Rockets, Gorilla Glue, U.S. Scale Masters, Nationwide Insurance, and others.
A complete schedule of events, ticket information, and more can be found athttp://www.amaexpo.com.
The Academy of Model Aeronautics has been the nation’s collective voice for approximately 164,000 modelers in 2,400 clubs in every state and Puerto Rico since 1936. A nonprofit association headquartered in Muncie IN, AMA sanctions more than 2,000 events and competitions each year under the auspices of the National Aeronautic Association.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:36 PM
  #2  
chuckk2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Warner Robins, GA
Posts: 1,247
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

I'd rather see Congress recognize "the AMA as a community-based organization".
This would prevent the proverbial "camel's nose under the tent" situation that usually occurs when a federal bureaucracy gets involved.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:41 AM
  #3  
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)
 
TexasAirBoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,972
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

When an American company like Monsanto needs a law specifically exempting Monsanto from lawsuits, then Congress names Monsanto in the legislation.

Why, why, why didn't the AMA request that the AMA be specifically named in the exemption. As written, it was worthless. Silly children begging for a worthless request. Granted to them with a smile and a hidden chuckle.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:43 PM
  #4  
cj_rumley
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Aguanga, CA
Posts: 1,779
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by United_Pilot View Post
When an American company like Monsanto needs a law specifically exempting Monsanto from lawsuits, then Congress names Monsanto in the legislation.

Why, why, why didn't the AMA request that the AMA be specifically named in the exemption. As written, it was worthless. Silly children begging for a worthless request. Granted to them with a smile and a hidden chuckle.
Because they thought it would more likely pass under the pretense there were other similar organizations, rather than a sole source provider seeking favor from Congress. IMHO, they were probably right about that.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:00 PM
  #5  
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)
 
TexasAirBoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,972
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by United_Pilot View Post
When an American company like Monsanto needs a law specifically exempting Monsanto from lawsuits, then Congress names Monsanto in the legislation.

Why, why, why didn't the AMA request that the AMA be specifically named in the exemption. As written, it was worthless. Silly children begging for a worthless request. Granted to them with a smile and a hidden chuckle.
Monsanto is a giant multi-national with plenty of political and economic pull. And, they have been at this kind of thing much longer. And they have professionals negotiating for them. It is unfair to expect the AMA to come up to speed on this type of deal that quickly. And the AMA only has 160,000 members nationally. Not much political muscle there. Its pretty amazing the FAA allowed us to be part of the discussion.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:55 PM
  #6  
combatpigg
Senior Member
My Feedback: (3)
 
combatpigg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: arlington, WA
Posts: 20,348
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Memorandum of Understanding = Famous Last Words
Old 01-10-2014, 09:22 AM
  #7  
Hossfly
 
Hossfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Caney, TX
Posts: 6,130
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by United_Pilot View Post
When an American company like Monsanto needs a law specifically exempting Monsanto from lawsuits, then Congress names Monsanto in the legislation.
Why, why, why didn't the AMA request that the AMA be specifically named in the exemption. As written, it was worthless. Silly children begging for a worthless request. Granted to them with a smile and a hidden chuckle.
UP, while I think you are most likely totally correct, on the other hand there are times when the midget has to climb the ladder to even just get a glance over the top. In today's financial and legislative world. AMA is definitely the midget and still has a whole lot of long ladder above to climb. Most modelers are totally ignorant of what AMA really is for our aeromodeling toy-airplane sport. They think AMA is simply an insurance company that is forced upon modelers because nasty old clubs require the insurance.
To them AMA is nothing less and NOTHING MORE. Competition Rules, etc. what are those? That goes for all AMA has performed. Darn few modelers, or in my definition, toy-airplane crashers, have any conception of what AMA has done for model aviation since the 1930s. Now AMA is climbing the ladder, yet that ladder does - in my opinion - have a number of rungs, both below and above, titled "self preservation" !!! You didn't get that ATP with your first solo!
Old 01-10-2014, 11:29 PM
  #8  
danmilo
Senior Member
My Feedback: (4)
 
danmilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 237
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

A great first step just to have that recognition and a seat at the table with the FAA after a "relatively" short life of UAS guideline development. Kudos to Rich Hansen and all who interfaced with the multiple agencies so far. BTW thoroughly enjoyed the show today and UAV's are now the predominant, new, must have vehicles on display today. Amazing how that has changed and been accepted so quickly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	010.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	1956312   Click image for larger version

Name:	019.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	1956313  
Old 01-11-2014, 11:56 AM
  #9  
Hossfly
 
Hossfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Caney, TX
Posts: 6,130
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by danmilo View Post
A great first step just to have that recognition and a seat at the table with the FAA after a "relatively" short life of UAS guideline development. Kudos to Rich Hansen and all who interfaced with the multiple agencies so far. BTW thoroughly enjoyed the show today and UAV's are now the predominant, new, must have vehicles on display today. Amazing how that has changed and been accepted so quickly.
Not really! Many years ago, about 1935 +/- a year or so, Dr. Walt Good and his brother demonstrated the first RC model airplane. While information did not pass around like today, it started a new wave of aeromodeling even though Free Flight still remained King. Then a couple guys (you take your pick) over on the West Course developed Control Line, and that really fired up aeromodeling. After WWII, there was a good slide to RC but not for me and most as I (we) held on to CL and FF until the early '70s. I still do some CL. Then RC finally in the '60s got to be anyone's game and the prices started falling, yet still expensive. In 1972 a good radio, no whistles, bells or drums, just a Transmitter, a Receiver, basic switch harness, 4 servos (no choices) took about 400 Yankee greens. My first radio, I received from Japan, as I imported them. I owned a Hobby Shop and the entire 4 channel radio cost me $100.00. Cheap but illegal, another story. in 1971 I bought a used Kraft series '71 and that was much better. Next was a Kraft series '72 with dual frequencies, rcvr. 4 basic servos, batt. & charger, $700.00 plus, $550 my price in the H-S.
There were no big discounts back then.
Back to reality
: In around 1946, Ray Arden's glow plug set the model business on fire. No more coils, condensers, batteries in the model. Then around 1950 the 1/2A models flooded the markets. Folks jumped to them, reasonable prices, and fly in the yard. Modeling took a leap forward.
CL and FF still dominated yet some RC was gaining ground. By 1970 RC dominated and many RCers poo-pooed us CL and FF fellows. Now you can get how the UAVs are setting the world on fire, yet who is gaining the most? THE INDUSTRY profits. The following public just tags along. In the past 30 years "following" seems to be about all that 90% of the populace is able to do. Inability of the mass majority to do more than follow is what amazes me!
Old 01-11-2014, 05:24 PM
  #10  
warningshot
 
warningshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: OU-OSU OK
Posts: 548
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
Not really! Many years ago, about 1935 +/- a year or so, Dr. Walt Good and his brother demonstrated the first RC model airplane. While information did not pass around like today, it started a new wave of aeromodeling even though Free Flight still remained King. Then a couple guys (you take your pick) over on the West Course developed Control Line, and that really fired up aeromodeling. After WWII, there was a good slide to RC but not for me and most as I (we) held on to CL and FF until the early '70s. I still do some CL. Then RC finally in the '60s got to be anyone's game and the prices started falling, yet still expensive. In 1972 a good radio, no whistles, bells or drums, just a Transmitter, a Receiver, basic switch harness, 4 servos (no choices) took about 400 Yankee greens. My first radio, I received from Japan, as I imported them. I owned a Hobby Shop and the entire 4 channel radio cost me $100.00. Cheap but illegal, another story. in 1971 I bought a used Kraft series '71 and that was much better. Next was a Kraft series '72 with dual frequencies, rcvr. 4 basic servos, batt. & charger, $700.00 plus, $550 my price in the H-S.
There were no big discounts back then.
Back to reality
: In around 1946, Ray Arden's glow plug set the model business on fire. No more coils, condensers, batteries in the model. Then around 1950 the 1/2A models flooded the markets. Folks jumped to them, reasonable prices, and fly in the yard. Modeling took a leap forward.
CL and FF still dominated yet some RC was gaining ground. By 1970 RC dominated and many RCers poo-pooed us CL and FF fellows. Now you can get how the UAVs are setting the world on fire, yet who is gaining the most? THE INDUSTRY profits. The following public just tags along. In the past 30 years "following" seems to be about all that 90% of the populace is able to do. Inability of the mass majority to do more than follow is what amazes me!
Hoss
I do not beleive your post has anything to do with what you quoted. Might want to go back and read.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:34 PM
  #11  
combatpigg
Senior Member
My Feedback: (3)
 
combatpigg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: arlington, WA
Posts: 20,348
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Didn't the German's sign something similar to a "Memorandum of Understanding" right after WWI...?
Old 01-11-2014, 05:54 PM
  #12  
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 902
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Horrace,

I've talked at length with Charles Mackey who has literally hundreds and hundreds of hours researching that subject, and I'm still gonna go with Oba St. Clair.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:31 AM
  #13  
Hossfly
 
Hossfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Caney, TX
Posts: 6,130
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by combatpigg View Post
Didn't the German's sign something similar to a "Memorandum of Understanding" right after WWI...?
It was called an Armistice. Defined as "A temporary cessation of hostilities by mutual agreement." Kind of like what you ask for when need to reload!
Old 01-12-2014, 10:45 AM
  #14  
Hossfly
 
Hossfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Caney, TX
Posts: 6,130
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by warningshot View Post
Hoss
I do not beleive your post has anything to do with what you quoted. Might want to go back and read.
Nah, I don't think so. My thinking is that maybe if some of these youngsters (under 60) that have so little knowledge of model aviation history, just might have a better appreciation of how things happened the same way, each and every time something of a new nature hit the toy-airplane field. Today's society with so much to have certainly leans to change if for no other reason than from the 1950s younger folks just have to have what the neighbor has. Every day comes more change.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:58 AM
  #15  
mongo
My Feedback: (15)
 
mongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 3,256
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
It was called an Armistice. Defined as "A temporary cessation of hostilities by mutual agreement." Kind of like what you ask for when need to reload!

i am thinking a closer comparison would be to the MOU negotiated by Nevil Chamberlain with that mustached character in 36 or 37 that was supposed to give us "peace in our time"
Old 01-13-2014, 04:45 PM
  #16  
cj_rumley
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Aguanga, CA
Posts: 1,779
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Understanding: "MA’s detailed safety procedures promote safe model operations and serve as an excellent resource for AMA members and non-member model enthusiasts alike. Under this agreement, the AMA will serve as a focal point for the aero-modeling community, the hobby industry, and the FAA to communicate relevant and timely safety information. The Academy will continue to maintain its comprehensive safety program for its members and will work to foster a positive and cooperative environment with the aero-modeling community toward the FAA and any applicable regulations."

Whoop de freakin' doo!

cj
Old 01-14-2014, 05:41 AM
  #17  
Twin Star
Senior Member
 
Twin Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Branson, MO
Posts: 237
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Here is press release from the FAA side.
http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=75599
Old 01-15-2014, 10:25 AM
  #18  
NorfolkSouthern
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 1,588
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

The FAA-AMA pact is important because the 2012 FAA Reauthorization contained language specific to model aircraft. Congress mandated that the FAA cannot regulate model aircraft operated according to community-based standards developed by a national organization – a designation that AMA satisfies. Both the FAA and the aircraft modelers’ group believe jointly working to ensure continued safe operation of model aircraft will comply with the congressional directive.
I don't think much is going to change at the local clubs. This does, however, make me wonder if an AMA "license" will be required to fly an Air Hog toy. Well???

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.