Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA field requirements

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA field requirements

Old 02-08-2014, 07:28 PM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA field requirements

sorry the brain is in overdrive and probably overthinking, but two questions. our club currently has one field for both fixed wing and rotary (helicopters). we are looking at adding a field that is well within the 3 mile rule, then have one for fixed wing and a separate on for rotary. does the AMA have any different requirements for this? second question, would the "park fliers" and "full membership" planes both be considered "fixed wing?
Old 02-08-2014, 07:53 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by rgm762 View Post
sorry the brain is in overdrive and probably overthinking, but two questions. our club currently has one field for both fixed wing and rotary (helicopters). we are looking at adding a field that is well within the 3 mile rule, then have one for fixed wing and a separate on for rotary. does the AMA have any different requirements for this? second question, would the "park fliers" and "full membership" planes both be considered "fixed wing?
Not sure what you mean by "well within the 3 mile rule", but if you have the space for separate fields, go for it.

As for Park Flyers, I am not that familiar with the rules, but aren't they supposed to be under 2 LBS? I think that is the only limit and I think it applies to both fixed and rotary wings.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:08 PM
rgm762

the 3 mile rule is any fields less than 3 miles apart need a "frequency agreement" between the two clubs, but since it will be the same club was wondering if there is anything else needed for AMA. nothing on the AMA website about it
Old 02-08-2014, 08:19 PM
rgm762

the other part is some members thought we could do one field just for helicopters and park fliers an the other field just for the larger planes. to me it doesn't matter if it's a 12oz foam, 12 inch wing span or 1/4 scale, both are considered foxed wing
Old 02-08-2014, 08:42 PM
JohnShe

the 3 mile rule is any fields less than 3 miles apart need a "frequency agreement" between the two clubs, but since it will be the same club was wondering if there is anything else needed for AMA. nothing on the AMA website about it
Well, the implication is that two fields need to be sure that no two flyers are operating on the same FM frequency on separate fields. It doesn't really matter who is managing the fields.2.4g does not apply.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:47 PM
JohnShe

the other part is some members thought we could do one field just for helicopters and park fliers an the other field just for the larger planes. to me it doesn't matter if it's a 12oz foam, 12 inch wing span or 1/4 scale, both are considered foxed wing
I believe that the Park Flyer concept was for park flyable aircraft (either fixed or rotary) to be able to fly places other that AMA club fields. Such as school grounds or public parks when permitted. But, if a park flyer aircraft wanted to fly at your club fields then fixed wings would fly at your fixed wing location and rotary wings would fly in their field.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:15 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

sorry the brain is in overdrive and probably overthinking...
yep, over thinking it I think. Your club ought to be able to agree with itself about what it wants to do.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:36 AM
bradpaul

Are both fields going to be insured under the AMA policy? If so just meet the requirement by a frequency policy.

It could be;very simple like "only 2.4G can be used at the heli field".
Old 02-09-2014, 07:08 AM
rgm762

[QUOTE=bradpaul;11732419]Are both fields going to be insured under the AMA policy? If so just meet the requirement by a frequency policy.

It could be;very simple like "only 2.4G can be used at the heli field".[/QUOTE

that's the question, will both fields be covered under ama? both fields will be leased through the city which requires insurance and they'll be approx. 3000 ft apart with the rotary field being 2.4 only
Old 02-09-2014, 07:23 AM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

You probably have to talk to the AMA rep about the insurance.
I do not see any problem other then the rates might increase with an additional field.
If the remote field only uses 2.4 Ghz then there should be no problem at all.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:44 AM
littlecrankshaf

[QUOTE=rgm762;11732457]
Originally Posted by bradpaul View Post
Are both fields going to be insured under the AMA policy? If so just meet the requirement by a frequency policy.

It could be;very simple like "only 2.4G can be used at the heli field".[/QUOTE

that's the question, will both fields be covered under ama?
Yes. The insurance through AMA is for your club and named insureds... If the flying sites have different physical addresses then you should get another named insured certificate with the new address to CYA.

Just wondering. Is this move an effort to "segregate" heli flying from the "regular" model flying??? Or is this intended to provide your club pilots with more options? In other words,will helis still be able to fly at the "main" field" or will they only be allowed to fly at the "new" site?

FWIW

Last edited by littlecrankshaf; 02-09-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:07 AM
rgm762

" Just wondering. Is this move an effort to "segregate" heli flying from the "regular" model flying??? Or is this intended to provide your club pilots with more options? In other words,will helis still be able to fly at the "main" field" or will they only be allowed to fly at the "new" site"

that's what we're trying to figure out, what is our best option.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:33 AM
littlecrankshaf

that's what we're trying to figure out, what is our best option.
No way for us to know... but having more options is usually the best option IMO. Having segregated flying sites would NOT work here as many "regular" airplane guys fly helis as well and like to bring both types when they come out. I am of the strong opinion that divisiveness is very divisive...LOL
Old 02-09-2014, 10:32 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I believe this is all clearly explained in the club charter renewal kit. Your club can get insurance certificates for each site. There is a fee for each one as well.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:54 PM
raptureboy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First 2.4 only field in the country 2 miles from our club www.farviewflyers.net This club was formed by some of our club members when they wanted a place to fly giant scale and jets and our field was too small. www.tcws.net AMA approved it back then because of it being only 2.4
Old 02-09-2014, 02:21 PM
rgburrill

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

We have both a heli field and a fixed wing field. No fixed wing are ever allowed at the heli field due to that park's rules. And the only time I have seen helis at the main field is during our club parties. We have few fliers that do both so it's not really an issue.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:31 PM
rgm762

thanks raptureboy, lilttlecrankshaf: we tried having a combined field but it just didn't work, and sadly you can't always make cats and dogs get along, so now we're looking at separate fields and see I no reason for having two fields flying fixed wing this close together, if that makes sense
Old 02-09-2014, 05:27 PM
littlecrankshaf

thanks raptureboy, lilttlecrankshaf: we tried having a combined field but it just didn't work, and sadly you can't always make cats and dogs get along, so now we're looking at separate fields and see I no reason for having two fields flying fixed wing this close together, if that makes sense
I wanted to ask about the reasons but I figured I'd just try and stay on topic as people here despise my questions. No matter, I am confident everything will work out for you.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:43 PM
rgm762

your fine, I should say when we tried it, we'll say it worked, a little uncomfortable but worked, then for some reason the helicopter pilots stopped coming around, that's been a couple of years ago. now some have returned and now we're just looking at options like rgburrill's
Old 02-10-2014, 07:34 AM
MajorTomski

Just a word of caution on the regular AMA vs Park Flyer AMA at the fields. What does the lease with your city call for WRT minumum liability? In our case we're required to have $1 million. Park flyers only have half that. Under our lease park flyer members cannot fly at our field unless they prove their homeowners gives them the Million Dollar coverage.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:08 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by MajorTomski View Post
Just a word of caution on the regular AMA vs Park Flyer AMA at the fields. What does the lease with your city call for WRT minumum liability? In our case we're required to have $1 million. Park flyers only have half that. Under our lease park flyer members cannot fly at our field unless they prove their homeowners gives them the Million Dollar coverage.
Well,according to the AMA website, you are quite correct about the insurance coverage. The AMA provides Park Fliers with half a million bucks liability coverage. Now, I am no mathematical genius, but if your landlord requires a million bucks coverage, then the Park Fliers should only need an extra half million from their homeowners insurance.

Also, from the MA website, the AMA will provide two and a half million coverage for a designated PF field. Have you considered that option?
Old 02-10-2014, 06:09 PM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by JohnShe View Post
Well,according to the AMA website, you are quite correct about the insurance coverage. The AMA provides Park Fliers with half a million bucks liability coverage. Now, I am no mathematical genius, but if your landlord requires a million bucks coverage, then the Park Fliers should only need an extra half million from their homeowners insurance.

Also, from the MA website, the AMA will provide two and a half million coverage for a designated PF field. Have you considered that option?
Good insight...but at the risk of getting incessantly flamed like another user (Kidepoxy) had for trying to drive home a point... AMA could have elected to keep Park Flyers at the 2.5mil secondary insurance level... since they obviously have inherently less risk due to model size restrictions but pay essentially the full tilt considering they don't get the monthly rag.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:30 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf View Post
Good insight...but at the risk of getting incessantly flamed like another user (Kidepoxy) had for trying to drive home a point... AMA could have elected to keep Park Flyers at the 2.5mil secondary insurance level... since they obviously have inherently less risk due to model size restrictions but pay essentially the full tilt considering they don't get the monthly rag.
You mat be right, I couldn't say one way or the other. I don't have a clue, what the AMA was thinking when they started the PF program. I also don't know what kind of deal the insurance underwriters gave them. I also though the PFr's paid somewhat less and got their own monthly rag.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:49 PM
littlecrankshaf

Not really all that hard to figure. To motivate modelers, as orginized clubs, to infiltrate public parks and raise the AMA flag, a new tier had to be created...and the only way was to insure the "division" had/has a great enough differential to catalyze the situation.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:17 PM
rgm762

ok, club president called AMA, as long as; segregated fields operated by the same club, on same property, only one registration needed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.