Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA to spend $250,000 on FPV

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA to spend $250,000 on FPV

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 04:59 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is this money being used for? The price seems a little too high for making a video or online quiz...or what is the purpose?
Old 08-08-2014, 06:25 PM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

As a couple of guys noted, the most important question is that if the district VP's care what all their district members want or they feel that they are in already and don't care. If they care ( I know ours does) they easily can change the direction AMA is going. If not, then we are out of luck. So, again as some mentioned, we should let our reps know of our thoughts and let them change the course.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:48 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

What does the AMA have to do with commercial applications of drones? If this is true it sounds like our organization or its leadership has been hijacked by the drone industry.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:36 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by DUCMOZ
As a couple of guys noted, the most important question is that if the district VP's care what all their district members want or they feel that they are in already and don't care. If they care ( I know ours does) they easily can change the direction AMA is going. If not, then we are out of luck. So, again as some mentioned, we should let our reps know of our thoughts and let them change the course.
My VP was one of 6 who voted no. I mean to ask him why he saw it that way.

CR
Old 08-09-2014, 07:17 AM
Charley

Today, I sent my D VIII VP an Email regarding this.

CR
Old 08-09-2014, 12:45 PM
sturmovik60

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just hope that they don't want to raise the dues now because of this large amount of money. I feel on amounts this big , the membership should have some say in it.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:04 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by OliverJacob
What is this money being used for? The price seems a little too high for making a video or online quiz...or what is the purpose?
Several posters have asked, so some 'from the horse's mouth' input may help shed some light on the topic.

From Apr 6, '14 EC meeting minutes:

"eLearning Related to sUAS
Education is a major part of the AMA FAA initiative. AMA’s eLearning system was introduced to the membership at the Expo this year. E. Loy reported that since then, they have been creating a course called ‘Introduction to sUAS’. A version of the course will be made available to the entire public, but there will be a testing module that is for AMA members only. AMA members that go through the course and familiarize themselves with the content will have the opportunity to complete an assessment (quiz/test), which could allow them to have a sUAS Course notation on their membership card. This would identify that the individual is aware of basic safety concerns, ethics and is an informed pilot. Headquarters is hoping to have the course ready for testing by June 2014."

"Precision Agricultural Conference in Illinois – HQ was contacted by the group putting on this conference in July. They were trying to find any way to allow their vendors to demo their equipment, and the regional FAA representative suggested they talk to AMA. Rich explained the problems we have had in the past with the way the FAA system stands in terms of commercial operation of UAS, but he offered to contact the UAS integration office. Following Hanson’s discussion with J. Williams, the regional FAA representative was contacted and the event will take place. It will be an AMA sanctioned Class D aero modeling demonstration; R. Cameron (Dist. VI VP) will be the Contest Director; local clubs will be approached to help run the flight line; anyone that flies must be an AMA member; and flying will be done by AMA rules."

"Personal/Light Commercial sUAS Program
–The staff is developing a program that puts in place the safety structure allowing members to fly safely and responsibly. Members flying FPV and semi-automated platforms are covered as an AMA member for any recreational flying they do with the current AMA insurance. If they choose to do anything business related, or for some purposeful use activities they will not be covered. HQ is talking with the insurance provider about putting together an “ad on” package, a member adjunct, not a member benefit, through the AMA where they can get primary insurance for that coverage at a greatly reduced exclusive rate. Council was in agreement with the direction the group is going. "
From Apr EC meeting minutes

"MCA Survey Update-Appendix X
The survey was done to better understand both the recreational and light personal commercial user of sUAS. Barry Elk presented the 8 recommendations as a result of the survey data, input from AMA HQ staff, participation in the advisory group conference calls and MCA’s experience in membership marketing since this was about creating programs to grow the membership. The AMA has been using the advisory group as an information source for internal decision making. It was recommended that a standing committee under Council be created to address the needs and wants of the recreational/light commercial use member.

The ED noted that as we build our program we will use Barry’s guidance as part of a roadmap; taking the recommendations an incorporating them into our day-to-day programming and operations."

Also related, but not specific to AMA interest in sUAS, some excerpts from Marketing/Membership report (underlined are things I found interesting):

Marketing/Membership

G. Fitch reported the department/committee has developed some new marketing pieces. The project plan includes: marketing in print magazines, especially in non-AMA publications; buying key words with Google; sending pro-rate advertising emails to new members and sending renewal emails to current members. They are also trying to engage the youth since the conversion rate for a Youth member to an Open member is quite low. Marketing and IT are developing a program for this and it is expected emails will be going out September 14.

Council viewed a brochure handout that lists why a person needs to belong to the AMA. These will be distributed at trade shows and going out as part of the Point of Purchase displays with the hobby shop program. (If any Council members wants a supply of these they should contact Erin Dobbs Headquarters.)

One of the things learned from the MCA survey is that even though AMA has been passive about talking about insurance in the past, members perceive it as one of the number one benefits we provide to our members so we should laud it.

Storyboards were passed around that depicted the print advertising and on-line marketing; they tell the message we are trying to hit and are expected to produce good results.

Fitch reviewed the cost and results so far of the key word purchase from Google; this is being funded out of the general marketing budget.

Council previewed the email marketing pieces for new, existing, lapsed (more than 5 years), and Youth members; as well as the hobby shop display Point of Purchase piece.

There was a brief discussion about the possibility of getting the new brochure included in model kits. The ED reported the manufacturers are willing to help us but it would require a significant financial investment on Council’s part as the brochures are expensive to produce; Council may want to consider a more economical piece to include. Everything we do relates to marketing and Fitch is of the opinion we should make the investment. Headquarters will investigate what options may be available.

R. Hanson felt the most understated marketing tool we have is the AMA membership card. When AMA is officially named a “Community Based Organization (CBO)” by the FAA, it should be printed on membership card.
"
The survey was done to better understand both the recreational and light personal commercial user of sUAS. Barry Elk presented the 8 recommendations as a result of the survey data, input from AMA HQ staff, participation in the advisory group conference calls and MCA’s experience in membership marketing since this was about creating programs to grow the membership. The AMA has been using the advisory group as an information source for internal decision making. It was recommended that a standing committee under Council be created to address the needs and wants of the recreational/light commercial use member.

The ED noted that as we build our program we will use Barry’s guidance as part of a roadmap; taking the recommendations an incorporating them into our day-to-day programming and operations."

Lots of ado about selling AMA to sUAS users, none it related to keeping FAA off the backs of modelers as far as I can see.

cj
Old 08-10-2014, 02:49 PM
Charley

cj_ rumley;

Thanks for the info; very informative. Waiting for a reply from my VP during the next week.

CR
Old 08-11-2014, 06:46 AM
bradpaul

From my question to "ASK AMA"

[TABLE="class: main_table, width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="class: table_header_cell"]Ticket Details[/TD]
[TD="class: table_header_cell, width: 150, align: center"]Back To Open Issues[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #F8F8F8, colspan: 2, align: left"][TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]small UAS program[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: box_content_text"]ID:[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="class: box_content_text"]PRG-40155-847[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: box_content_text"]Status:[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="class: box_content_text"]resolved[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: box_content_text"]Opened:[/TD]
[TD="align: left"][/TD]
[TD="class: box_content_text"]8/7/2014 11:56:15 AM[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: box_content_text"]Last Msg:[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="class: box_content_text, align: left"]8/11/2014 10:40:11 AM[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[TR]
[TD="class: table_header_cell, align: left"]Thu Aug 07 2014 11:56AM by bradpaul[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #FFFFFF, align: left"]Just what is the "small UAS program" that was allocated $250,000 at the last EC Meeting?

Why as a Leader Member have I not heard of this program and can find no reference to it when searching the AMA site?

thank you,

Brad Paul

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[TR]
[TD="class: table_header_cell, align: left"]Mon Aug 11 2014 10:40AM by Richard Hanson[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #F8F8F8, align: left"]Hi Brad,

This is a program that has been under development since October of 2013. The program is designed to provide guidance and support for the purposeful us of UAS/model aircraft.

The AMA staff was tasked by the Executive Council to develop the program at the October 19, 2013 EC meeting. This program was presented and approved by the EC at the July 19, 2014 meeting.

You should be able to find reference to it by reviewing the minutes of these two meetings. More specific information will be made available once the program is finalized and launched. You should also be able to get additional information from your District Vice President.

Rich Hanson
AMA Government and Regulatory Affairs

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 08-11-2014, 07:13 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Well...at least you will get more specific information after the program is finalized and launched... ROTFLMAO
Old 08-11-2014, 07:17 AM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Well...at least you will get more specific information after the program is finalized and launched... ROTFLMAO
I guess "Leader Members" are now "Follower Members"
Old 08-11-2014, 07:20 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by bradpaul
I guess "Leader Members" are now "Follower Members"
Nothing new...The whole designation was only a means to garner allegiance anyway...has worked very well for the most part.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:57 PM
starcad
My Feedback: (7)

Removed
Old 08-11-2014, 08:08 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drones? Below is a picture of a "real" Drone.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Drone(Northrop).jpg
Views:	156
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	2021751  
Old 08-12-2014, 02:42 AM
Charley

Originally Posted by chuckk2
Drones? Below is a picture of a "real" Drone.

That's an old one. c.1972 Radio Controlled Aerial Target or RCAT for short. Here's a later one:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...hatzerim-1.jpg

CR
Old 08-12-2014, 04:20 AM
phlpsfrnk

Originally Posted by Charley
That's an old one. c.1972 Radio Controlled Aerial Target or RCAT for short. Here's a later one:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...hatzerim-1.jpg

CR
Otherwise known as the Firebee BQM-34

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-34.html

I've had a hand in shooting down a few of these.

Frank
Old 08-12-2014, 08:12 AM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk

Frank
At first I thought this was a tangent from the topic, but that was the old AMA. If you read model rags other than MA, you've seen the headline mantra of the 2 page ad AMA has been running for several months:

"WHATEVER YOU FLY. WHEREVER YOU FLY. AMA HAS YOU COVERED."

".....it doesn't matter if you fly an airplane, helicopter, park flyer, multirotor, quadcopter, sUAS, FPV, DIY drone or even an aerial robot."

That's the new AMA, or maybe AsUASA? Get used to it.

cj
Old 08-12-2014, 09:13 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
At first I thought this was a tangent from the topic, but that was the old AMA. If you read model rags other than MA, you've seen the headline mantra of the 2 page ad AMA has been running for several months:

"WHATEVER YOU FLY. WHEREVER YOU FLY. AMA HAS YOU COVERED."

".....it doesn't matter if you fly an airplane, helicopter, park flyer, multirotor, quadcopter, sUAS, FPV, DIY drone or even an aerial robot."

That's the new AMA, or maybe AsUASA? Get used to it.

cj
In other words: Quad copters, FPV, and drones are here to stay. Get used to it!
Old 08-12-2014, 10:05 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
In other words: Quad copters, FPV, and drones are here to stay. Get used to it!
I agree...but we, those that are in the hobby, should refrain from using and take every opportunity not to allow the term "drones" to be applied to our hobbyist endevors. Drones are a tactical element and not consistent with promoting the worthwhileness of our purely for fun hobby. Sort of how some defense weapons are now labeled "assault weapons"...we allowed that to stick...
Old 08-12-2014, 12:05 PM
Charley

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk

Frank
I worked for the US Army Air Defense Board at Ft. Bliss for a long while. We had an RCAT section for quite a few years when we ran the Dona Ana Range. RCATs was phased out when the jet targets took over.

CR
Old 08-12-2014, 12:41 PM
eddieC

Maybe it's time to revisit the Sport Flyers Association?

OK, maybe not...,
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...sociation.html
Old 08-12-2014, 01:35 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AlW
The key words in the motion are ''Continue with the small UAS program and allocate $250.000'' As I said in my initial post this activity has been going on since earlier this year. BOB BROWN NEEDS TO HAVE THE BACKBONE TO STEP UP HERE AND TELL THE MEMBERSHIP HOW HE IS SPENDING OUR MONEY!
I posted this somewhere but just in case it is not moving around, here is what the 250,000.oo yankee greens are subjected for. I copied this down during the EC discussion on this project. I was there.

SUAS Budget ( 17 months )

STAFF: $95,000.oo TRAVEL: $30,000.oo Web Site: $15,000.oo Other: 15,000.oo MARKETING: $95,000.oo

That is the budget with hope of $3,500.oo to BREAK EVEN!

Staff and Marketing seem to be the real need for this spending. Remember that some incumbent (other than first timers) officers voted for this travel. When the discussion was going on, one incumbent promoted the need for AMA to accept because he was assisting a mfger. of small UAS machines and would need the AMA to enhance the program.

Now You fellows can figure it all out. Due to the large and long discussion, I predict that the numbers will change to more like 9 yes, 4 no. ENJOY!
Old 08-12-2014, 02:06 PM
eddieC

one incumbent promoted the need for AMA to accept because he was assisting a mfger. of small UAS machines
It seems the membership is helping fund a private enterprise?
Let the 'one incumbent' get a bank loan!! (Good luck with that, BTW...)

Hoss, you know the ins-and-outs of the AMA. How do us, as members, start a petition or signature drive to stop this frivolous spending?

This little $250K item has got to STOP! Last-on-the-agenda, almost-overlooked indeed!

Who voted in favor, and how can we recall or impeach their butts? This isn't what I spend my membership money for!!
Old 08-12-2014, 02:50 PM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by eddieC
It seems the membership is helping fund a private enterprise?
Let the 'one incumbent' get a bank loan!! (Good luck with that, BTW...)

Hoss, you know the ins-and-outs of the AMA. How do us, as members, start a petition or signature drive to stop this frivolous spending?

This little $250K item has got to STOP! Last-on-the-agenda, almost-overlooked indeed!

Who voted in favor, and how can we recall or impeach their butts? This isn't what I spend my membership money for!!
Here you go:

MOTION V: Moved by A. Argenio (I) and seconded by E. Williams (II) that Headquarters continue with the small UAS program and allocate $250,000 over 18 months for implementation.
MOTION passed: 7-Y; 6-N (III, V, VII, VIII, X and XI)
Your DVP Tim Jesky was one of the NO votes

Last edited by bradpaul; 08-12-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:07 PM
eddieC

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Here you go:

Your DVP Tim Jesky was one of the NO votes
Good catch, Thanx!

And thanx to the OP, AIW, for bringing this to our attention!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.