Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Be Worried Now. NTSB Says RC=aircraft

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Be Worried Now. NTSB Says RC=aircraft

Old 12-01-2014, 10:55 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I agree. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:35 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LDM
I was very specific with the 400 ft ceiling in saying FPV Vehicles , if you flying a pattern plane at 1000 ft great typically on an RC field and your not two miles away using an FPV added system , this is the root of the problem , RC plane pilots fly withen an area that they can see , many FPV Vehicles are way out of sight and aided and controlled by FPV systems making them very dangerous to air space
How do you propose to enforce a 400' limit on FPV? I also might add I don't think FPV should exceed LOS operations either.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:03 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

a very slight change in the firmware of the multi rotor controller, or the auto stabilization system for fixed wing, would limit the baro altitude to a max of 400 ft over the initialization point.
no human error involved.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:23 PM
bradpaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mongo
a very slight change in the firmware of the multi rotor controller, or the auto stabilization system for fixed wing, would limit the baro altitude to a max of 400 ft over the initialization point.
no human error involved.
That would work, however it would only be a matter of time before the technology wizards would hack the code a post a "fix". Even DJI realizes that the airport database restriction will be hacked, probably already has. This stuff is not military grade electronics.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:45 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mongo is correct and how do you enforce the weight of a fish when your told there is a weight needed to catch vs release ? You police it and fine it , its been done in hunting , fishing and so many other sports.
You will have to get a license to fly a drone and register the model at time of purchase like a gun , no exceptions
Old 12-01-2014, 06:30 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Originally Posted by LDM
Mongo is correct and how do you enforce the weight of a fish when your told there is a weight needed to catch vs release ? You police it and fine it , its been done in hunting , fishing and so many other sports.
You will have to get a license to fly a drone and register the model at time of purchase like a gun , no exceptions
Another interesting bit of info: The ATF considers the lower receiver of a gun to actually be a firearm. That is the actual part that transfers through the gun shop with the background check. You can order other parts without having to go through the check. For example: The lower receiver of a Colt 1911 (the frame of the pistol) requires a background check because it's the serial numbered part. However, there is no need for the check if you are buying a new barrel and spring. This can be similar to how a model aircraft can be registered. Other parts like the frame, engine, servos, and transmitter can be purchased at a hobby shop. However, the government can require the receiver on the plane to have a serial number and be registered. So yes, there is a way to require registration and a background check for RC model airplanes and drones. The government can even go further if it wishes, and require BOTH the transmitter AND receiver to have MATCHING serial numbers. It can be done if they want it bad enough! But I still have my doubts at this point. Just remember: Never say never.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:48 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Well we already know that will never work. How can you have matching TX and RX serials when TX can have mutli models on it? I have one TX and 10 RX. If you think I will bend over and let another government regulate something like this, they can kiss my can. Sick enough how the Gov is stepping over its bounds, we dont need more of it in a stupid hobby.

There is a fix already in place for idiots. Find them, Fine them. No questions, they get caught flying in restrict space, or flying in an unsafe manner, give them a ticket, just like the police do when you exceed the speed limit. Another thing they can do, have a jammer handy, and when they spot one of these in a restricted space, knock it down with the jammer. If the thing has a serial on it, and the person buying it registered the warranty on it, then they have a way to track that person down, just like anything else these days.

It's like this immigration crap. There are already laws in place, you enter the country without papers, its called Illegal immigration. They already have laws to deal with it, arrest and deport, yet they don't enforce the already there laws. There are laws in place for flying in restricted airspace, just enforce them! We don't need more laws and regulations, just enforce what is already there.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:49 AM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by acdii
Well we already know that will never work. How can you have matching TX and RX serials when TX can have mutli models on it? I have one TX and 10 RX. If you think I will bend over and let another government regulate something like this, they can kiss my can. Sick enough how the Gov is stepping over its bounds, we dont need more of it in a stupid hobby.

There is a fix already in place for idiots. Find them, Fine them. No questions, they get caught flying in restrict space, or flying in an unsafe manner, give them a ticket, just like the police do when you exceed the speed limit. Another thing they can do, have a jammer handy, and when they spot one of these in a restricted space, knock it down with the jammer. If the thing has a serial on it, and the person buying it registered the warranty on it, then they have a way to track that person down, just like anything else these days.

It's like this immigration crap. There are already laws in place, you enter the country without papers, its called Illegal immigration. They already have laws to deal with it, arrest and deport, yet they don't enforce the already there laws. There are laws in place for flying in restricted airspace, just enforce them! We don't need more laws and regulations, just enforce what is already there.
Can I move to where the police have solved all the murders, rapes, assaults and burglaries so they have the time to enforce FAA regulations on toy airplanes?

I understand and agree with enforcing the existing laws, but this is just another example of a Federal Government Agency creating an unfunded mandate. It is real easy to write regulations if the Federal agency does not have to pay for the cost of enforcing them.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:51 AM
Sport_Pilot

I would think that some would fly better aerobatics with FPV, but that would not be possible if FPV is limited to 400 feet.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:53 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by LDM
There are park rangers all over the place. Where are the FPV police?
Old 12-03-2014, 07:55 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
Another interesting bit of info: The ATF considers the lower receiver of a gun to actually be a firearm. That is the actual part that transfers through the gun shop with the background check. You can order other parts without having to go through the check. For example: The lower receiver of a Colt 1911 (the frame of the pistol) requires a background check because it's the serial numbered part. However, there is no need for the check if you are buying a new barrel and spring. This can be similar to how a model aircraft can be registered. Other parts like the frame, engine, servos, and transmitter can be purchased at a hobby shop. However, the government can require the receiver on the plane to have a serial number and be registered. So yes, there is a way to require registration and a background check for RC model airplanes and drones. The government can even go further if it wishes, and require BOTH the transmitter AND receiver to have MATCHING serial numbers. It can be done if they want it bad enough! But I still have my doubts at this point. Just remember: Never say never.
That is an issue now with the new 3d printers. Print out the frame and buy the rest of the parts.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:04 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
That is an issue now with the new 3d printers. Print out the frame and buy the rest of the parts.

FWIW CNC files for machining whatever is just a click away.

Not any real issue other than we have allowed the term "assault" to poison the well now. Unfortunately we have now allowed the word "drone" to taint hobbyist pursuits...and some of the most outspoken are the ones that cry out the term incessantly to defend model aviation...really weird when you think about it. Just plane goofy.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:38 AM
Sport_Pilot

"Plane Goofy" I loved the cartoon.