Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 06:53 AM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
What happened to the " Just wait till they catch someone" and hang them out to dry crowd? Also seems like there would have been a "no fly" in place with the president around.

Mike
Ya right!!!!! Sure seemed like a golden opportunity to do that to this guy. I think what it comes down to is that nobody wants to ruin or make difficult someones life unless absolutely necessary.

Last edited by mike1974; 12-29-2015 at 06:58 AM.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:55 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

While I understand that the idiot in Hawaii was actually stopped by Secret Service (and he had the intelligence to comply) who were primarily interested in pressing on with their route, I'm wondering just how long it'll be before the news article will bring a FAA individual into the picture.

I really can't see the FAA not doing anything over this incident - not if they want to have any credibility at all in this "drone operator registration" thing.

Gonna keep watching the news...
Old 12-29-2015, 06:56 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike1974
I agree. Was just throwing that in to poke a little. Almost everything I own IMO is not a toy and must be used and operated in a safe manner and with common sense.
Neither does the FAA (consider them Toys) and that is part of the Problem, It's not a toy in the eyes of the FAA.
If U can't ride in it and it's flown for Fun and Recreation it should be considered a R/C TOY. Notwithstanding, yes it should be flown (operated in a safe manner and with common sense.)
There in lies the Problem NO one has made a concerted effort to EDUCATE the Newbie to (operated in a safe manner and with common sense). Just saying Know B U Fly, doesn't get it. I say again No one has really tried to educate the Public. Not the AMA FAA DOT or even HK or the LHS... Go ask anyone that isn't an AMA member (Including those that get their member ship for FREE) What a Drone is and where, When and How U can fly them. Also ask why they don't like them if the don't have one. 99% of the public will say their used to look in my bedroom windows. Maybe the other 1% will say Drones will crash into big airplanes. Just saying it's our responsibility to educate the Non AMA members, If we don't we have NO ONE but our selves to blame for the demise of our Hobby/Sport as we Know it. JMHO

OH I forgot the most important ones that need educating the NEWS MEDIA...

Last edited by HoundDog; 12-29-2015 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:57 AM
rcmiket

Ya right!!!!! Sure seemed like a golden opportunity to do that to this guy. I think what it coms down to is that nobody wants to ruin or make difficult someones life unless absolutely necessary.
Ya think? It's the freaking Secret Service for Gods sake and people here are afraid of the FAA? I amazed.

Mike.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:03 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

See Crispy, this is what I am talking about as far as registration, fines and jail. Most people, including LE, are going to tend to be reasonable before they start fining, jailing and shooting. I know it's easy to poke at the guy and say how could he not know POTUS was in town. BUT......True story......the ONLY reason, and I am being dead serious here, that I know ANYTHING about the FAA registration is because of RCU. I am almost a loner when it comes to flying as so few people fly rc where I live and the club I am a member of is 23 miles away and has less than 20 members. I have not watched any news in months. It is nothing but death, destruction and what celebrity effed up this week. Not for me. I don't even watch TV anymore other than NFL. So it is not hard for me to see how he may have not known.
Good post Mike .

I like to joke about having given up TV when M.A.S.H. went off the air , but in reality it was after "Married , with children" and "Seinfeld" left the airwaves that I gave up on TV . Like you say , TOO much bad news and who this or that Kartrashian is sleeping with this week , and not enough of what really matters .

If enforcement of this registration rule is handled the same way the FCC handles Ham radio transgressions , there won't be too many folks getting clubbed like a seal . With no accident or injury , a violator is likely to get just what the motorcade drone guy got , a stern warning to learn the rules of the air before he uses his drone again . With the FCC and Hams , first is a cease and desist order . Second is confiscation of equipment , and third is fines & possible jail time . Now , if a drone causes an accident resulting in injury I'd imagine the fines would be fist up and if the accident were bad enough then maybe some jail time might be possible .

I really don't see the FAA as being the "bad guy" in this , In fact , I believe they are honestly attempting to mitigate the risk of a drone/full scale collision and that it isn't being done with malice against our hobby . We operated "under the radar" all these years because we were "self policing" and caused no problems that raised any regulatory eyebrows . Along came the flying camera crew , and between selfishness and ignorance , it is they who have cast us into such an unfavorable light .

The AMA trying to have a monopoly control on ALL UAS by getting the CBO exemption in #336 and then allowing BLOS ABLE craft into our hangar really didn't help our cause much , either ..........
Old 12-29-2015, 07:05 AM
mike1974

Ya think? It's the freaking Secret Service for Gods sake and people here are afraid of the FAA? I amazed.

Mike.
I agree. The dude complied and everyone was reasonable. Nobody had to be fined, jailed or shot. So if we look at this incident, I think it is fair to say that I highly doubt the FAA is going to be stalking the local AMA flying fields looking for registration violations. That is more pointless than the registration itself.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:07 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

What happened to the " Just wait till they catch someone" and hang them out to dry crowd? Also seems like there would have been a "no fly" in place with the president around.

Mike
Well again, the punishment will need to fit the crime, I'm glad it's not a one size fits all situation. At least they built into this scheme some common sense. Let's not rely completely on one story from the media and use that as a benchmark case right? They only have so much info, and they don't normally tell the whole story. "close to the motocade"...kinda broad. If he's across the street at a beach (which is looks like he was), and filming there, and the motorcade came by, that might be what the issue was. Pure speculation of course, but the news media got another chance to shoehorn the word "drone" into a story.

Case by case...that's how it will be looked at, and isn't that the way it should be?
Old 12-29-2015, 07:08 AM
rcmiket

I agree. The dude complied and everyone was reasonable. Nobody had to be fined, jailed or shot. So if we look at this incident, I think it is fair to say that I highly doubt the FAA is going to be stalking the local AMA flying fields looking for registration violations. That is more pointless than the registration itself.
FAA Temporary Flight Restriction where in place.No worries though he got a severe talking to by the Feds.

http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr_map_ims/html/hawaii.html

Mike
Old 12-29-2015, 07:10 AM
porcia83
Banned

I'm just waiting for the usual fellow to pop in and start yelling about the guy being a sheeple, and not "standing up for his rights". "so sorry brah, was just chillin trying to catch some byotchin views with by toy dude....alls well, mahalo"...sure gets a different response than I have my rights!
Old 12-29-2015, 07:13 AM
porcia83
Banned

FAA Temporary Flight Restriction where in place.No worries though he got a severe talking to by the Feds.

http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr_map_ims/html/hawaii.html

Mike
And that seems to be in line with their thought process, the same ones scale pilots get sometimes too right? A verbal discussion/warning....reminder, education...etc. If they locked the guy up and threw away the key people would be complaining about the govt thugs and how unfair they were. Thankfully they have built in some common sense. Fair to say we'll know when some dolt does something really stupid and reckless, and the feds will too?
Old 12-29-2015, 07:15 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
Well again, the punishment will need to fit the crime, I'm glad it's not a one size fits all situation. At least they built into this scheme some common sense. Let's not rely completely on one story from the media and use that as a benchmark case right? They only have so much info, and they don't normally tell the whole story. "close to the motocade"...kinda broad. If he's across the street at a beach (which is looks like he was), and filming there, and the motorcade came by, that might be what the issue was. Pure speculation of course, but the news media got another chance to shoehorn the word "drone" into a story.

Case by case...that's how it will be looked at, and isn't that the way it should be?
Really? So this is no big deal? What about the TFR that is in place? Violating a presidential TFR can get you fined up to $10,000.00.
So were being FORCED to register but Joe Blow can plead "I had no clue" and walk. Just what is wrong with that picture? Just when do we hold people accountable for being idiots?

Mike
Old 12-29-2015, 07:15 AM
mike1974

Originally Posted by init4fun
Good post Mike .

I like to joke about having given up TV when M.A.S.H. went off the air , but in reality it was after "Married , with children" and "Seinfeld" left the airwaves that I gave up on TV . Like you say , TOO much bad news and who this or that Kartrashian is sleeping with this week , and not enough of what really matters .

If enforcement of this registration rule is handled the same way the FCC handles Ham radio transgressions , there won't be too many folks getting clubbed like a seal . With no accident or injury , a violator is likely to get just what the motorcade drone guy got , a stern warning to learn the rules of the air before he uses his drone again . With the FCC and Hams , first is a cease and desist order . Second is confiscation of equipment , and third is fines & possible jail time . Now , if a drone causes an accident resulting in injury I'd imagine the fines would be fist up and if the accident were bad enough then maybe some jail time might be possible .

I really don't see the FAA as being the "bad guy" in this , In fact , I believe they are honestly attempting to mitigate the risk of a drone/full scale collision and that it isn't being done with malice against our hobby . We operated "under the radar" all these years because we were "self policing" and caused no problems that raised any regulatory eyebrows . Along came the flying camera crew , and between selfishness and ignorance , it is they who have cast us into such an unfavorable light .

The AMA trying to have a monopoly control on ALL UAS by getting the CBO exemption in #336 and then allowing BLOS ABLE craft into our hangar really didn't help our cause much , either ..........
I agree with everything you said, even the BLOS part. And that is coming from someone who has 1 foam glider capable of and used for BLOS (barring obstructions) out to 2.5 miles. But mostly I fly what most would consider traditional RC and follow the AMA safety code.

As another poster says, I might need to put on my fire suite for my BLOS comment.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:20 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
And that seems to be in line with their thought process, the same ones scale pilots get sometimes too right? A verbal discussion/warning....reminder, education...etc. If they locked the guy up and threw away the key people would be complaining about the govt thugs and how unfair they were. Thankfully they have built in some common sense. Fair to say we'll know when some dolt does something really stupid and reckless, and the feds will too?
So just what's the point of registering than? There's no fear of consequences is there?

Mike
Old 12-29-2015, 07:23 AM
mike1974

Really? So this is no big deal? What about the TFR that is in place? Violating a presidential TFR can get you fined up to $10,000.00.
So were being FORCED to register but Joe Blow can plead "I had no clue" and walk. Just what is wrong with that picture? Just when do we hold people accountable for being idiots?

Mike
I see what you are saying, but........how is the normal Joe Blow supposed to know about TFR's? I only know about registration because I'm on RCU. And if he was compliant and not doing anything that was reckless or threatening, why should he be punished monetarily or with jail time?
Old 12-29-2015, 07:24 AM
HoundDog

Good post Mike .

Absolutely correct there INIt must be one of the few thing on which we agree I Think. It's my Position that the FAA has bent over backwards to only have Registration of Owner/Pilots and that Number put in/on our craft. They could have made things much more restrictive but they didn't. I say that is some thing to be thankful for How about U? Agree or NOT?
Old 12-29-2015, 07:26 AM
mike1974

So just what's the point of registering than? There's no fear of consequences is there?

Mike
That is exactly how I feel about the FAA registration and why I will not register. If I am not doing anything wrong, I have zero fear about not being registered.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:30 AM
porcia83
Banned

Mike
C'mon, we know the answer here. The point of registering is so that one is compliant with the law. Once they register they will acknowledge that they have a full understanding of the law, and all of it's consequences. Ignorance to a law is not an affirmative defense. In this case, had they complied with the law (which of course they didn't have to yet), they would not be able to say, gee..i didn't know about this. And to the point made above, the average person doesn't know about TFR. It almost seems like you want some kind of huge example to be made of the guy. Again, we don't know the full context of what happened. I think we can hope that had there been some bad intent here, the guy would have been cuffed and stuffed. One might even make the argument that his approach after the fact might have helped him get off with a verbal warning.

Case by case...that's the right approach. Reasonable and fair, rather than one size fits all.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:31 AM
HoundDog

Mike

I see what you are saying, but........how is the normal Joe Blow supposed to know about TFR's? I only know about registration because I'm on RCU. And if he was compliant and not doing anything that was reckless or threatening, why should he be punished monetarily or with jail time?
Right on the button .... That should be all over the News but nope it ain't news worthy Unless some one attempts to get a selfie with POTUS using a DRONE. Don't legislate if U don't Educate too. Looks Like the Education is going to be up to US less we loose all our Hobby/Sport because of a few Dummies out there. It's OUR collective choice. Yes/No?

My Point I'v tried to find the TFR for the President being on vacation in Hawaii don't see it on the AMA web site. There has to be one some place.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:32 AM
porcia83
Banned

That is exactly how I feel about the FAA registration and why I will not register. If I am not doing anything wrong, I have zero fear about not being registered.
Kinda circular in the logic there, as by not registering you are in fact doing something wrong. The reality is though that by doing nothing else wrong, the chances of you ever having to deal with any issues are practically zilch. So there's that.
init4fun

I agree with everything you said, even the BLOS part. And that is coming from someone who has 1 foam glider capable of and used for BLOS (barring obstructions) out to 2.5 miles. But mostly I fly what most would consider traditional RC and follow the AMA safety code.

As another poster say, I might need to put on my fire suite for my BLOS comment.
I'm glad someone out here understands me !

Yes sir , I truly have nothing against BLOS technology . I believe that this new advancement has much to offer in the fields of photography , search & rescue , and even just the plain fun of operating a remote video platform . I do think that BLOS abilities are far enough a departure from "regular" (LOS) model airplane operations that a completely separate classification of flight operations and logistical organization structure should be established for this great new technology apart from the traditional RC model aircraft establishment . Just as Bicycles shouldn't be lumped in with Motorcycles just cause both have two wheels and carry people , so too should BLOS able craft not be lumped in with LOS only craft just cause both use similar technology .

In short , Hell no , I don't ever want to see BLOS able craft banned , I just want them to bear the increased flight responsibility of BLOS as a separate endeavor from traditional LOS flight . The BLOS ability truly deserves representation focused on it's uniqueness , rather than being lumped in to a "one size fits all" solution like the AMA becoming THE authority on ALL UAS regardless of the vast differences in flight operations .

No hate here from me , just the recognition that not ALL differences need to be handled by trying to use a hammer to fit the square peg into the round hole .......
rcmiket

This whole thing is a missed opportunity to get the point across to those out there causing the issues that we are paying the price for, I'm not saying draw and quarter the guy but they sure had a chance to mess with him a bit and make a huge point. I do see your point about the TFR though.

Mike
Old 12-29-2015, 07:33 AM
pflynn73
My Feedback: (20)

RCU really sucks my a--. Sorry to do this on this thread, but , cant get any response from moderators in the marketplace help. Moderators you suck!!! RCU sucks!!!
Old 12-29-2015, 07:38 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Absolutely correct there INIt must be one of the few thing on which we agree I Think. It's my Position that the FAA has bent over backwards to only have Registration of Owner/Pilots and that Number put in/on our craft. They could have made things much more restrictive but they didn't. I say that is some thing to be thankful for How about U? Agree or NOT?
Sure buddy , I'll agree to that !

Also , please read my post to Mike , to get a better idea of where my thoughts are about the BLOS ability .

PS , I DO also agree 100% with you that it's NOT the technology that's caused the problem here , it's some folk's USE (or should I say "Misuse") of this new technology that's brought us to where we are today . That , coupled with the fact that this BLOS ability has grown beyond traditional model aircraft classification and truly needs/deserves an organization/representation catering to it as a different flight mode entirely .

Kinda like the Bicycle / Motorcycle analogy in my other post .......
Old 12-29-2015, 07:43 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by pflynn73
RCU really sucks my a--. Sorry to do this on this thread, but , cant get any response from moderators in the marketplace help. Moderators you suck!!! RCU sucks!!!
Patience , young grasshopper , , some things , like fine wine and the RCU moderators , really just can't be rushed .

Never forget , it takes a woman 9 months to make a baby , no matter HOW many men ya put on the job ......
Old 12-29-2015, 07:45 AM
mike1974

I'm glad someone out here understands me !

Yes sir , I truly have nothing against BLOS technology . I believe that this new advancement has much to offer in the fields of photography , search & rescue , and even just the plain fun of operating a remote video platform . I do think that BLOS abilities are far enough a departure from "regular" (LOS) model airplane operations that a completely separate classification of flight operations and logistical organization structure should be established for this great new technology apart from the traditional RC model aircraft establishment . Just as Bicycles shouldn't be lumped in with Motorcycles just cause both have two wheels and carry people , so too should BLOS able craft not be lumped in with LOS only craft just cause both use similar technology .

In short , Hell no , I don't ever want to see BLOS able craft banned , I just want them to bear the increased flight responsibility of BLOS as a separate endeavor from traditional LOS flight . The BLOS ability truly deserves representation focused on it's uniqueness , rather than being lumped in to a "one size fits all" solution like the AMA becoming THE authority on ALL UAS regardless of the vast differences in flight operations .

No hate here from me , just the recognition that not ALL differences need to be handled by trying to use a hammer to fit the square peg into the round hole .......
I totally agree!!! And I know I have made comments about the FAA, but I am sure they are just trying to do what they feel is in the best interest of safe aviation.

As far as BLOS I also agree with what you said. I have even stated in other threads that if the FAA gave me a path to legally fly BLOS I would be signed up yesterday doing anything the FAA wanted me to do (within reason) to be able to fly BLOS legally. I even have my private ticket already. Just give me a way to do it legally and I will comply.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.