Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Old 02-22-2016, 11:36 AM
AllModesR/C

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I-fly-any-and-all View Post
my God what has this world come to. I've been in this hobby 16 years or so started at 10 and now im 26, I'm going to consult the web a bit and also contact ama on monday.
That's why I refuse to "embrace" the newest technology that hit our hobby like some people suggest. We have been flying traditional model aircraft for decades with no problems and a few short years of "drones" and look what happened.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:45 AM
hawkerone
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$27,500 fine for doing this to avoid a $5 for 3 yr. registration fee. Makes all the sense in the world doesn't it! I just feel so humbled to be keeping company on here with such 'greatness'.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:47 AM
acer3299

Default Ok now what

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C View Post
That's why I refuse to "embrace" the newest technology that hit our hobby like some people suggest. We have been flying traditional model aircraft for decades with no problems and a few short years of "drones" and look what happened.
The deadline has passed now what ?

According to the retail industry MILLIONS of "Dones" have been sold.
According to the goverment 350,000 or so people have registered in their " registry "...

That leaves a whole boat load unregistered " drone" pilots out there.....

So now what are they going to do now to protect us from this menace in the sky ?????????????????????????????????????
Old 02-22-2016, 12:27 PM
Sport_Pilot

Waiting for the AMA to get me exempt from registering with FAA. When do they expect that? They need a blog entry as the last one was before the registration deadline.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:29 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by hawkerone View Post
$27,500 fine for doing this to avoid a $5 for 3 yr. registration fee. Makes all the sense in the world doesn't it! I just feel so humbled to be keeping company on here with such 'greatness'.
There is no dollar value to freedom. Keeping my name and address out of site by not registering. Limited exposure here. No longer use facebook because of hackers. I don't want my name on a government site everybody can use.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:40 PM
acer3299

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot View Post
Waiting for the AMA to get me exempt from registering with FAA. When do they expect that? They need a blog entry as the last one was before the registration deadline.
Agreed but what I'm getting at is the " registry" has been a total failure....
When you get 350,000 out of a know base of Millions to sign up I think you missed your mark by quite a bit.
So now what ?
Does the FAA give up trying to get the other 1,000,000 or so Drone user to sign up or do they admit defeat to their latest government fiasco.
One other thing to remember is that every day that goes by more and more "drones" are sold and the percentage of sign up's doesnt seem like it's growing along with the sales.

Last edited by acer3299; 02-22-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:45 PM
Sport_Pilot

I agree its a total failure. Suggest that using each drone caught doing something bad as an example of registration not working, and sending that to your congressmen or senator.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:49 PM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by N410DC View Post
I have know of people for driving for years with a suspended driver's license. My own grandfather drove for 2 years on an expired license, before he even realized that it was expired.

Bottom line, You won't get caught until you get caught.
This is true, except when I started driving you had to go through training, have a temp permit and then take a test and pass in order to get your license. Then you had to be responsible enough in order to keep your license.

I have been flying RC for 28 years and have never needed a "license" in order to operate an rc aircraft safely or otherwise. That's 28 years of safe rc operation. I will continue to fly safely whether or not I register; which I won't. lol. I refuse to go along with some stupid gov't kneejerk registration. On top of that I have yet to see a single person show proof, PROOF, of all these near misses.

I would love to see the report that details and proves all of these supposed near misses. I don't think one exists. Consider this my civial disobediance to a BS gov't kneejerk reg.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:53 PM
mike1974

Originally Posted by hawkerone View Post
Ya, because the FAA is going to levy a 27,500 fine + 3 years in jail for flying a model aircraft without registration. Maybe if they downed a full scale................maybe they get that fine and jail.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:56 PM
acer3299

I agree its a total failure. Suggest that using each drone caught doing something bad as an example of registration not working, and sending that to your congressmen or senator.
And as a footnote, your private info is now in a searchable public record.
Anyone can look up a name and address and plug it into Google maps and they will see your house.
They can check out what kind of house you have and in what kind of neighborhood, even see what kind of cars you drive if they happened to be in the drive way when the Google truck came rolling by.
After all crooks dont want to be bothered going to crappy house's, this will make it easier for them to tell if your worth robbing.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:07 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by mike1974 View Post
Ya, because the FAA is going to levy a 27,500 fine + 3 years in jail for flying a model aircraft without registration. Maybe if they downed a full scale................maybe they get that fine and jail.

The 27,,500 limit won't be imposed. That is basically full scale and then it is only that high if it is used for say drug running. I would expect most fines to be no more than $1,000 some may just be a warning.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:19 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

The 27,,500 limit won't be imposed. That is basically full scale and then it is only that high if it is used for say drug running. I would expect most fines to be no more than $1,000 some may just be a warning.
Even Pirker's fine was > $1,000. I suspect the fine with fit the crime and this is why judges are given the broad ranges from which to work from.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:21 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by mike1974 View Post
Luckily, Doggie reminded me, so I registered. Guess I won't have to worry about the fine for not registering.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:23 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by acer3299 View Post
And as a footnote, your private info is now in a searchable public record.

That's the very reason they call it public information, because you can look it up.

Anyone can look up a name and address and plug it into Google maps and they will see your house.
They can check out what kind of house you have and in what kind of neighborhood, even see what kind of cars you drive if they happened to be in the drive way when the Google truck came rolling by.
After all crooks dont want to be bothered going to crappy house's, this will make it easier for them to tell if your worth robbing.
Nothing new here, most of this stuff has been available on-line for many years.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:28 PM
acer3299

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon View Post
Nothing new here, most of this stuff has been available on-line for many years.
Yes that's true, BUT R/c is an expensive hobby, multi-thousand dollar aircraft in some cases.
I'm just saying that this list provides names and address of people with more " disposable " income than the average working schmuck ...
Makes it pretty easy to sort through the nice neighborhoods knowing that the people your looking at have plenty of bucks for their " hobby "......
Old 02-22-2016, 01:45 PM
mike1974

Luckily, Doggie reminded me, so I registered. Guess I won't have to worry about the fine for not registering.
Neither will I.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:57 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Yes that's true, BUT R/c is an expensive hobby, multi-thousand dollar aircraft in some cases.
I'm just saying that this list provides names and address of people with more " disposable " income than the average working schmuck ...
Makes it pretty easy to sort through the nice neighborhoods knowing that the people your looking at have plenty of bucks for their " hobby "......
Expensive is a relative term. It's dirt cheap compared to many other hobbies. The number of individuals in the hobby with multi-thousand dollar aircraft is far and few between.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:18 PM
acer3299

Expensive is a relative term. It's dirt cheap compared to many other hobbies. The number of individuals in the hobby with multi-thousand dollar aircraft is far and few between.
Call it what you want , but given the fact that your name and address can now linked to a photo of your house and given the fact the R/C is not a " cheap" hobby, almost any idiot can now make the correlation.
Hmmm lets see,,nice house, nice neighborhood, nice car in the driveway,, and oh yeah he's got the money for his " hobby"...... chances are he's got other nice "stuff".....
Old 02-22-2016, 02:27 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Call it what you want , but given the fact that your name and address can now linked to a photo of your house and given the fact the R/C is not a " cheap" hobby, almost any idiot can now make the correlation.
Hmmm lets see,,nice house, nice neighborhood, nice car in the driveway,, and oh yeah he's got the money for his " hobby"...... chances are he's got other nice "stuff".....
Even the dumb crooks are smart enough to know there's no resale value in RC equipment and there's a very limited market for it. The most valuable RC stuff is the biggest and bulkiest stuff to carry as well. If you were a crook would you rather steal a large turbine aircraft or a nice Rolex? What's the price of gold these days?
Old 02-22-2016, 02:37 PM
acer3299

Even the dumb crooks are smart enough to know there's no resale value in RC equipment and there's a very limited market for it. The most valuable RC stuff is the biggest and bulkiest stuff to carry as well. If you were a crook would you rather steal a large turbine aircraft or a nice Rolex? What's the price of gold these days?
That's exactly what I'm saying. if you got money for toys you probably got other good stuff, like your wives jewelry, your kids laptops, your flat screen tv's,
Thats the stuff they'll grab I never said they would steal your airplane, I'm saying that you unwittingly put your name on a list that tells even the dumbest crook that your not living paycheck to paycheck..................
Old 02-22-2016, 02:45 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

That's exactly what I'm saying. if you got money for toys you probably got other good stuff, like your wives jewelry, your kids laptops, your flat screen tv's,
Thats the stuff they'll grab I never said they would steal your airplane, I'm saying that you unwittingly put your name on a list that tells even the dumbest crook that your not living paycheck to paycheck..................
Yeah, keep dreaming. The full size aircraft registration database is publicly available too. Who do you think has a larger net worth, the guys playing with real aircraft or model aircraft?
Old 02-22-2016, 02:47 PM
acer3299

Bigger pool more fishermen .
I'm done
Old 02-22-2016, 03:03 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Bigger pool more fishermen .
I'm done
Better get the Slomin shield....

http://www.slomins.com/
Old 02-22-2016, 03:50 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

not to many people building those fancy $10,000 planes....but those that are of course are like royalty!
Old 02-22-2016, 03:52 PM
rgburrill

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

They are never going to exempt you. And if you'd bother to read and learn instead of just posting what you want to believe you'd know that. What the AMA is working on is THEY will do the registration for you. You will still get registered. How hard is that to understand?

Last edited by rgburrill; 02-22-2016 at 03:56 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.