Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Old 02-22-2016, 05:21 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by acer3299 View Post
The deadline has passed now what ?

According to the retail industry MILLIONS of "Dones" have been sold.
According to the goverment 350,000 or so people have registered in their " registry "...

That leaves a whole boat load unregistered " drone" pilots out there.....

So now what are they going to do now to protect us from this menace in the sky ?????????????????????????????????????
From what I understand the Feb 19th deadline was for current owners of "drones" at the time the FAA came out with the rule in early January. I'm sure you can still register if you purchased a "drone" after Feb 19th.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:03 PM
ira d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And as a footnote, your private info is now in a searchable public record.
Anyone can look up a name and address and plug it into Google maps and they will see your house.
They can check out what kind of house you have and in what kind of neighborhood, even see what kind of cars you drive if they happened to be in the drive way when the Google truck came rolling by.
After all crooks dont want to be bothered going to crappy house's, this will make it easier for them to tell if your worth robbing.
Our info is already in many data bases I receive at least ten calls a week from telemarketers that already have my phone number name and address.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:19 PM
hawkerone
My Feedback: (11)

Originally Posted by rgburrill View Post
What the AMA is working on is THEY will do the registration for you. You will still get registered. How hard is that to understand?
Right,, and for a reasonable $65/yr saving you that burdensome $5 every three years the gov't. charges. Such a deal!
Old 02-22-2016, 07:28 PM
Rob2160

When you get 350,000 out of a know base of Millions to sign up I think you missed your mark by quite a bit.
So now what ?
Does the FAA give up trying to get the other 1,000,000 or so Drone user to sign up or do they admit defeat to their latest government fiasco.
One other thing to remember is that every day that goes by more and more "drones" are sold and the percentage of sign up's doesnt seem like it's growing along with the sales.
How many of those drones are under 250 grams and don't need registration? Any ideas? Half? More than half?

How many people own more than one drone? Yet they only need to register once.

Look at the Phantom / Inspire / Blade / Solo / Armattan / Alien / Tarot threads. (just to name a few...)

Plenty of people own more than one. I have more than fifteen multicopters but just one registration.

Can you see why comparing these numbers is actually pointless? You honestly don't believe that of the millions of drones reportedly sold not a single person will ever buy two?

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot View Post
I agree its a total failure. Suggest that using each drone caught doing something bad as an example of registration not working, and sending that to your congressmen or senator.
No offence guys but if you are calling the registration process a failure because of these numbers then you don't understand the objectives behind it.

Last edited by Rob2160; 02-22-2016 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:41 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by I-fly-any-and-all
my God what has this world come to. I've been in this hobby 16 years or so started at 10 and now im 26, I'm going to consult the web a bit and also contact ama on monday.

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C View Post
That's why I refuse to "embrace" the newest technology that hit our hobby like some people suggest. We have been flying traditional model aircraft for decades with no problems and a few short years of "drones" and look what happened.
Well if they all were required to belong to the AMA and had to fly ONLY at a registered field the problem would evaporate and the AMA's money problems too. Let's see another million at $75 each MY god what a boon.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:56 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by hawkerone View Post
$27,500 fine for doing this to avoid a $5 for 3 yr. registration fee. Makes all the sense in the world doesn't it! I just feel so humbled to be keeping company on here with such 'greatness'.
Besides if U act as a whistle blower it's $2700 for every one U turn in and if U get a big one $300,000 that a whopping 10% or $30,000 before taxes.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:03 PM
N410DC

The deadline has passed now what ?

According to the retail industry MILLIONS of "Dones" have been sold.
According to the goverment 350,000 or so people have registered in their " registry "...

That leaves a whole boat load unregistered " drone" pilots out there.....

So now what are they going to do now to protect us from this menace in the sky ?????????????????????????????????????
The "millions" of drones that have been sold recently has to be added to all of the existing airworthy aircraft. In our club, I am guessing that we have at least a few hundred airworthy aircraft and perhaps 1-2 dozen multirotor aircraft. Multirotor sales are probably out-pacing the fixed wing sales in the model aircraft sector, but there are still a heck of a lot of unregistered fixed wing aircraft out there.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:27 PM
HoundDog

Waiting for the AMA to get me exempt from registering with FAA. When do they expect that? They need a blog entry as the last one was before the registration deadline.
Ain't never going to happen Did a check today more people at the field had their New FAA Registration in/on their planes almost all there and less than 50% had their AMA info in the plane. That's why the FAA will never allow the AMA number to substitute for a Legal FAA registration Number. The Other reason is the FAA can't fine U for not having your AMA info in the plane but they sure can for Omission of the FAA number.
Don't forget about the whistle blower reward and they don't have to even know U turned them in.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:19 PM
TJ EWING

Originally Posted by HoundDog View Post
Another Suicide by Stupidity Failure to maintain sufficient altitude to clear existing Terrain. FAA/NTSB final indigestion report will read ... Continued/Controlled flight into terrain. When it should read Stupid Pilot with (JET JOCK MENTALITY) Kills self and Passenger and wrecks a perfectly good Tax Payer Funded airplane.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/11...uty-pilot.html
Neither you nor sport pilot have a clue to the circumstances that took the lives of two exemplary Individuals. About all you've done here is embarrass yourselves by bringing attention to your ignorance. Investigate before you castigate, then get back to us with an apology.
TJ EWING
Old 02-22-2016, 09:47 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by TJ EWING View Post
Neither you nor sport pilot have a clue to the circumstances that took the lives of two exemplary Individuals. About all you've done here is embarrass yourselves by bringing attention to your ignorance. Investigate before you castigate, then get back to us with an apology.
TJ EWING
Then Smart Guy give me Your interpretation If U know all about it Please ...
We just had an idiot flying through Mountainous terrain at Night Kill himself 2 paramedic nurses and the Patient and one guy escaped death all be cause of Controlled Flying into Terrain. OR could have been some mechanical failure the company didn't have a stellar record. Doesn't mean much to those that are dead anymore. Most vehicle accidents cars trucks planes motor cycle even Bikes are the fault of the person in command. Remember it take less than a minute to gain 1000' in a jet ranger. There is no reason on gods green earth to not gain the extra altitude as opposed as to running at 3 00' AGL at night Like most Med chapters around here.

Had a very good friend (Flight Instructor) CFII Multi engine Jets ect. get killed on an Instrument approach in a Cherokee 6 coming back from a business trip in Denver to wisconsin. Ended up 3 miles short of the runway on instrument approach at night in weather. It happens to the best of them. The Unfortunate thing both He and the Owner student apparently had colds and had cold medicine in their system at the time of the accident.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:25 PM
TJ EWING

Did not reference my knowledge to how this or the med helicopter accident happened. Your opinion of what happened was the subject. As far as unnecessary lack of altitude by law enforcement helicopters I'd be happy to share with you pictures of a below high waterline pass downstream and above Millerton Lake at about 160kph. This is 50' off the water with blind turns in a less than half mile wide channel
We've lost not only this fixed wing but a medcopter and crew in the same area but under much different weather circumstances. By the way the pilot of the fixed wing was a Blackhawk pilot with over 3000 hrs of flight time. He was a civilian pilot under contract to the CHP the observer was a sworn peace officer.
"Avoid traveling close to the earth whilst above lest the land riseup and smyte thee"
Old 02-23-2016, 03:36 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by N410DC View Post
The "millions" of drones that have been sold recently has to be added to all of the existing airworthy aircraft. In our club, I am guessing that we have at least a few hundred airworthy aircraft and perhaps 1-2 dozen multirotor aircraft. Multirotor sales are probably out-pacing the fixed wing sales in the model aircraft sector, but there are still a heck of a lot of unregistered fixed wing aircraft out there.
Do you mean pilots or aircraft?
Old 02-23-2016, 04:05 AM
AllModesR/C

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Just out of curiosity what's this whistle blower/reward program you guys are talking about? I couldn't find any info on it.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:26 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon View Post
Nothing new here, most of this stuff has been available on-line for many years.
Actually not always. You can find services to pay for it but even then many address's are blocked out of the online records. Of course the crooks will not want to pay because there are many to find without paying. But if you know how or who to pay you can get your information scrubbed out. Try looking for the name and address of many famous people and there are only a few you will find.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:31 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rgburrill View Post
They are never going to exempt you. And if you'd bother to read and learn instead of just posting what you want to believe you'd know that. What the AMA is working on is THEY will do the registration for you. You will still get registered. How hard is that to understand?
Other more recent statements from the AMA say they are working to get rid of it entirely. No matter I will never register. Fly free flight and micro's instead.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:32 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C View Post
From what I understand the Feb 19th deadline was for current owners of "drones" at the time the FAA came out with the rule in early January. I'm sure you can still register if you purchased a "drone" after Feb 19th.
Not against the law to not register, and you can register any time after the 19th.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:33 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by ira d View Post
Our info is already in many data bases I receive at least ten calls a week from telemarketers that already have my phone number name and address.
Most only have you number, and maybe your name.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:35 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Rob2160 View Post
How many of those drones are under 250 grams and don't need registration? Any ideas? Half? More than half?

How many people own more than one drone? Yet they only need to register once.

Look at the Phantom / Inspire / Blade / Solo / Armattan / Alien / Tarot threads. (just to name a few...)

Plenty of people own more than one. I have more than fifteen multicopters but just one registration.

Can you see why comparing these numbers is actually pointless? You honestly don't believe that of the millions of drones reportedly sold not a single person will ever buy two?

No offence guys but if you are calling the registration process a failure because of these numbers then you don't understand the objectives behind it.

The FAA estimates only 1.5 drones average per person. So still a lot of unregistered drones, millions in fact.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:40 AM
Sport_Pilot

TJ EWING
I never commented on this. No info to tell if they were flying low, though it is a likely possibility.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:46 AM
Sport_Pilot

Did not reference my knowledge to how this or the med helicopter accident happened. Your opinion of what happened was the subject. As far as unnecessary lack of altitude by law enforcement helicopters I'd be happy to share with you pictures of a below high waterline pass downstream and above Millerton Lake at about 160kph. This is 50' off the water with blind turns in a less than half mile wide channel
We've lost not only this fixed wing but a medcopter and crew in the same area but under much different weather circumstances. By the way the pilot of the fixed wing was a Blackhawk pilot with over 3000 hrs of flight time. He was a civilian pilot under contract to the CHP the observer was a sworn peace officer.
"Avoid traveling close to the earth whilst above lest the land riseup and smyte thee"
If you constantly fly low it doesn't matter how much time and experience you have, you will eventually crash. Some of the best drivers in the world crash every Sunday. That is because they drive almost 200 MPH bumper to bumper. Experience and skill doesn't protect them from crashing. And no matter how good you are you will eventually crash if constantly flying too low.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:53 AM
rcmiket

If you constantly fly low it doesn't matter how much time and experience you have, you will eventually crash. Some of the best drivers in the world crash every Sunday. That is because they drive almost 200 MPH bumper to bumper. Experience and skill doesn't protect them from crashing. And no matter how good you are you will eventually crash if constantly flying too low.
Every flight starts with a takeoff and ends in a landing both require the pilot to "fly low" and I'll add at slower than normal flight speeds ,so why are there not more crashes?

Mike
Old 02-23-2016, 04:59 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rcmiket View Post
Every flight starts with a takeoff and ends in a landing both require the pilot to "fly low" and I'll add at slower than normal flight speeds ,so why are there not more crashes?

Mike
Because they are landing at airports with no towers, trees, aerial lines, etx. And the weather is known before you get there. Fly too low to prepare to make an emergency landing, and you will crash when that emergency comes. That is why it is required in the FAR's.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:05 AM
rcmiket

Because they are landing at airports with no towers, trees, aerial lines, etx. And the weather is known before you get there. Fly too low to prepare to make an emergency landing, and you will crash when that emergency comes. That is why it is required in the FAR's.
So planes don't crash at airports and the laws of physics don't apply at them. Thanks for the clarification.

Here's what you posted.

"If you constantly fly low it doesn't matter how much time and experience you have, you will eventually crash."

Certainly take offs and landing require low and slow flight.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 02-23-2016 at 05:08 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:09 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rcmiket View Post
So planes don't crash at airports and the laws of physics don't apply at them. Thanks for the clarification.

Mike
Planes do crash at airports. They will crash more often if they are flying below minimums. Do you think the FAA has minimum altitudes for the hell of it? Airports are made for landings. A forest full of trees will be a bit rough to land on. If you are flying too low to fly past the forest you are going to land on those trees. Not hard to understand.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:14 AM
rcmiket

Planes do crash at airports. They will crash more often if they are flying below minimums. Do you think the FAA has minimum altitudes for the hell of it? Airports are made for landings. A forest full of trees will be a bit rough to land on. If you are flying too low to fly past the forest you are going to land on those trees. Not hard to understand.
That's not what you said is it? One more time.

"If you constantly fly low it doesn't matter how much time and experience you have, you will eventually crash."

Why are there not more crashes?

Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.