Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Old 02-23-2016, 05:19 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot View Post
Actually not always. You can find services to pay for it but even then many address's are blocked out of the online records. Of course the crooks will not want to pay because there are many to find without paying. But if you know how or who to pay you can get your information scrubbed out. Try looking for the name and address of many famous people and there are only a few you will find.
If it's out there, it's out there.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:20 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Planes do crash at airports. They will crash more often if they are flying below minimums. Do you think the FAA has minimum altitudes for the hell of it? Airports are made for landings. A forest full of trees will be a bit rough to land on. If you are flying too low to fly past the forest you are going to land on those trees. Not hard to understand.
Facts based on opinion?
Old 02-23-2016, 05:33 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

If you constantly fly low it doesn't matter how much time and experience you have, you will eventually crash. Some of the best drivers in the world crash every Sunday. That is because they drive almost 200 MPH bumper to bumper. Experience and skill doesn't protect them from crashing.

Who knew? So the skilled experienced guys crash just as much as the rookies?

And no matter how good you are you will eventually crash if constantly flying too low.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:45 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C View Post
From what I understand the Feb 19th deadline was for current owners of "drones" at the time the FAA came out with the rule in early January. I'm sure you can still register if you purchased a "drone" after Feb 19th.
Feb. 19th deadline was for people who already owned their "drones" before the FAA implemented this new registration. BUT.....One only needs to register if he plans on flying. It is not illegal to OWN "drones" without being registered. (not yet anyway!)

Astro
Old 02-23-2016, 05:55 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rcmiket View Post
That's not what you said is it? One more time.

"If you constantly fly low it doesn't matter how much time and experience you have, you will eventually crash."

Why are there not more crashes?

Mike
Because this is not the common habit of most pilots, only a few. I didn't mean that the crash's would be as common as a NASCAR crash. Obviously even the worst offenders don't fly inch's from the ground. Also airplanes are more reliable than a race car. From the recent news helicopter and low flying plane crash's seem to be on the up rise. IMO the low flying helicopter crash has always been too high. In fact GA in general is much too dangerous for anything other than the corporate jets and small turboprops. I have had friend killed and in crash's. Gave it up before it happened to me. About 400 hours in small planes from a Piper cub to NA T6 (not solo on that one though).

BTW the flight in the T6 was with a friend who could barely afford it and was grounded for a while for flying too low. He eventually crashed (not the T6), but survived. He was a very good pilot, just took too many chances.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 02-23-2016 at 05:57 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:01 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot If you constantly fly low it doesn't matter how much time and experience you have, you will eventually crash. Some of the best drivers in the world crash every Sunday. That is because they drive almost 200 MPH bumper to bumper. Experience and skill doesn't protect them from crashing.

Who knew? So the skilled experienced guys crash just as much as the rookies?

And no matter how good you are you will eventually crash if constantly flying too low.
Last week both veteran Dale Earnhardt Jr. and rookie Chase Elliott crashed. However, I never said that experienced drivers crash as much as rookies..

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 02-23-2016 at 06:07 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:02 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon View Post
Facts based on opinion?
An opinion shared by the FAA. They will fine you for flying too low, just too lenient on heli pilots.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:05 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Experience and skill doesn't protect them from crashing.
Howver, I never said that experienced drivers crash as much as rookies..
Okay.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:07 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

An opinion shared by the FAA. They will fine you for flying too low, just too lenient on heli pilots.
Just like RC clubs, the rotary wing pilots are always the problem....
Old 02-23-2016, 06:07 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon View Post
Okay.
But even the rookies are usually very good before they are racing grand national.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:42 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C View Post
Just out of curiosity what's this whistle blower/reward program you guys are talking about? I couldn't find any info on it.
Contact your local FSDO They probably know. Don't forget to have your FAA number ID with U and be sure Your Models have it too. Might just get ramp checked. I think AMA airfields are now legal for FAA inspectors to do ramp checks.

Last edited by HoundDog; 02-23-2016 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:16 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by astrohog View Post
Feb. 19th deadline was for people who already owned their "drones" before the FAA implemented this new registration. BUT.....One only needs to register if he plans on flying. It is not illegal to OWN "drones" without being registered. (not yet anyway!)

Astro
If you read Q5 this is true though Q39 suggests otherwise. (just poor wording I think)

Q5. Do I have to register my UAS immediately? Is there a grace period?

A. All small unmanned aircraft that meet the registration criteria must be registered prior to operation outdoors. If you operated your small unmanned aircraft UAS before Dec. 21, 2015, the FAA provided a grace period during which you were permitted to continue operations without registering the aircraft. However, beginning February 19, 2016, all small unmanned aircraft owners must register their aircraft if they wish to continue to operate outdoors.

Q39. When must UAS owners who purchased their aircraft before December 21, 2015 register?

A. UAS operated by the current owner prior to December 21, 2015, must be registered no later than February 19, 2016. For all other UAS, registration is required prior to operation.

Last edited by Rob2160; 02-23-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:23 AM
Sport_Pilot

OMG that means the AMA museum has a whole lot or registering to do!
Old 02-23-2016, 08:33 AM
Rob2160

The FAA estimates only 1.5 drones average per person. So still a lot of unregistered drones, millions in fact.
Maybe that estimate is true but you are still missing the real point of the registration system.

It has given the FAA more power to deal with unregistered rogue pilots

That was the first step...

They are now working with DHS on detection equipment that can locate the drone operator regardless of being registered or not.

http://www.aerospace-technology.com/...rports-4816450

http://www.suasnews.com/2016/02/faa-...etection-work/

The drone detection process includes CACI's proof-of-concept system, which uses radio frequency sensors at strategic locations around an airport. When sensors detect frequencies, it triangulates the signals and identifies the location of the UAS and its operator.

"SkyTracker successfully identified, detected and tracked UAS in flight, and precisely located drone ground operators, all without interfering with airport ground operations. "

Plenty of other systems in development also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG2PDppAK78 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8aZ0zWX3SA

Last edited by Rob2160; 02-23-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:09 AM
N410DC

Originally Posted by HoundDog View Post
Ain't never going to happen Did a check today more people at the field had their New FAA Registration in/on their planes almost all there and less than 50% had their AMA info in the plane. That's why the FAA will never allow the AMA number to substitute for a Legal FAA registration Number. The Other reason is the FAA can't fine U for not having your AMA info in the plane but they sure can for Omission of the FAA number.
Don't forget about the whistle blower reward and they don't have to even know U turned them in.
I am sure the FAA could amend the policy to require either the owner's AMA or FAA number on all aircraft. However, this would require a new NPRM and other procedures. It would be easier for the FAA to simply leave the rule as it is now.

Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
Do you mean pilots or aircraft?
Good point. I should have said that there are many airplanes that have no FAA registration number on the outside or inside.

Originally Posted by Rob2160 View Post
If you read Q5 this is true though Q39 suggests otherwise. (just poor wording I think)

Q5. Do I have to register my UAS immediately? Is there a grace period?

A. All small unmanned aircraft that meet the registration criteria must be registered prior to operation outdoors. If you operated your small unmanned aircraft UAS before Dec. 21, 2015, the FAA provided a grace period during which you were permitted to continue operations without registering the aircraft. However, beginning February 19, 2016, all small unmanned aircraft owners must register their aircraft if they wish to continue to operate outdoors.

Q39. When must UAS owners who purchased their aircraft before December 21, 2015 register?

A. UAS operated by the current owner prior to December 21, 2015, must be registered no later than February 19, 2016. For all other UAS, registration is required prior to operation.
Good point. The stract reading of the sentence "UAS operated by the current owner prior to December 21, 2015, must be registered no later than February 19, 2016..." suggests that a model aircraft that was last flow in 1930, and which is on permanent static display, indoors, in a museum, has to have the owner's registration number on it. I am sure this was not the FAA's intent, though.

Last edited by N410DC; 02-23-2016 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:35 AM
init4fun

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by N410DC View Post
Good point. The stract reading of the sentence "UAS operated by the current owner prior to December 21, 2015, must be registered no later than February 19, 2016..." suggests that a model aircraft that was last flow in 1930, and which is on permanent static display, indoors, in a museum, has to have the owner's registration number on it. I am sure this was not the FAA's intent, though.
Not looking to be argumentative , but your mistaken here .....

The operative word of that sentence that disproves your false notion is the second word of the sentence ; "OPERATED"

Can you really look yourself in the mirror and say that a model aircraft on static display is being "operated" ?

I didn't think so ..............
Old 02-23-2016, 09:39 AM
Sport_Pilot

I would suggest that instead of reading the FAQ sheet which has no authority, you read the NPRM. By now it may be in the actual FAR's.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:50 AM
Sport_Pilot

Ok, they have provided documentation to OMB to be published in the FAR. From that I found this.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-201...2015-31750.pdf

If you read this you will see that the registration must be filed prior to operation is the NAS after Feb 19. So the AMA museum (and myself) is off the hook.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:02 AM
bokuda
My Feedback: (7)

http://thehill.com/policy/transporta...tering-devices

I submit a preemptive apology to porcia for submitting this without his prior approval.

I know this is not new information, although the article is, but I am struck at how the press and the FAA itself still refer to registering drones rather than operators. Both continue to use incorrect and confusing language, which I can understand in the case of the press, which is often notoriously inaccurate, but one would think the FAA should properly reference its own rules.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:07 AM
init4fun

Ok, they have provided documentation to OMB to be published in the FAR. From that I found this.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-201...2015-31750.pdf

If you read this you will see that the registration must be filed prior to operation is the NAS after Feb 19. So the AMA museum (and myself) is off the hook.
Of course . The requirement is not in effect untill a UAS is to be operated in the NAS . I'm kinda surprised anyone could read it differently . With N410DC's assertion a guy like MikeT who runs a hobby shop , if he owns a whole warehouse full of fixed and rotary wing UAS , would have to register them all before he sold them !

I think we're all good on that ....
Old 02-23-2016, 10:17 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by bokuda View Post

I submit a preemptive apology to porcia for submitting this without his prior approval.

I know this is not new information, although the article is, but I am struck at how the press and the FAA itself still refer to registering drones rather than operators. Both continue to use incorrect and confusing language, which I can understand in the case of the press, which is often notoriously inaccurate, but one would think the FAA should properly reference its own rules.
I think they do it on purpose , wording with somewhat ambiguous meaning , so that lots of costly litigation can forever grease the wheels of "the system" . All the FAA needed to do would have been to have released the new law here , let all the "locker room lawyer" types pick it to shreds , and then write the new law out of the pieces remaining . Christ how hard could it have been ; "We want a number in anything unmanned , that could end up in front of a real plane , that will trace back to the unmanned craft's owner ." There , I just said in one simple sentence that which they are saying in pages ......
Old 02-23-2016, 10:19 AM
rgburrill

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Not looking to be argumentative , but your mistaken here .....

The operative word of that sentence that disproves your false notion is the second word of the sentence ; "OPERATED"

Can you really look yourself in the mirror and say that a model aircraft on static display is being "operated" ?

I didn't think so ..............
Close but that "operated" refers to prior operation, not present. However, the term "current owner" does let a museum off the hook if they never operated the aircraft.
At any rate, the intent is that the owner must be registered prior to operating the aircraft outdoors.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:41 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by rgburrill View Post
Close but that "operated" refers to prior operation, not present. However, the term "current owner" does let a museum off the hook if they never operated the aircraft.
At any rate, the intent is that the owner must be registered prior to operating the aircraft outdoors.
RG I agree 100% , and I think both of our versions are exactly what the law intends , and that's how it will be applied if it ever gets ugly between an unmanned and a manned aircraft .
Old 02-23-2016, 11:25 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Of course . The requirement is not in effect untill a UAS is to be operated in the NAS . I'm kinda surprised anyone could read it differently . With N410DC's assertion a guy like MikeT who runs a hobby shop , if he owns a whole warehouse full of fixed and rotary wing UAS , would have to register them all before he sold them !

I think we're all good on that ....
Yes agreed, I think we are all good on it. Registration is only required if you will operate the model aircraft outdoors.

That is why wording in Q39 is very poor because it could be misinterpreted (if read in isolation)

A. UAS operated by the current owner prior to December 21, 2015, must be registered no later than February 19, 2016.

Lets break it down...

1. A UAS operated by the current owner prior to December 21...

e.g. I last flew in 1979 and am the current owner but have not flown since... This satisfies point 1.

2. must be registered no later than February 19, 2016.

This 'suggests' I must register anyway, purely because I operated prior to 21st December.

I understand and agree this is not the case and registration is needed only if you will operate the aircraft after Feb 19.

Last edited by Rob2160; 02-23-2016 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:34 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by bokuda View Post

LoL...good one. Still butthurt over something I see...perhaps that's what's impeding your ability to read and comprehend what the FAA has written. Absent a few words that could be more clear I suppose, 99% of people can get past the pedantry and figure it all out. Since you failed to request permission before submitting, I'm not sending you my Clff Notes version of the FAA document.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.