Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 08:02 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by N410DC
True. There has been at least one drone event at The Georgia Dome, which seats over 70,000.

The FAA might argue that they are "educating" everyone that registers by putting a few basic rules on the certificate that the pilot must possess whenever he/she is flying. That said, I agree that an actual exam would do a far better job of educating potential pilots.

Especially if they had to pass the test OUNCE to be able to purchase a Multi rotor. Yes I know there a Million reasons and way around it ect but it's prety much as a backround check to buy a fire arm.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:25 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by init4fun
Chris , you know when it'll REALLY take off ?

You know those "Robot Wars" shows where the Robots knock the crap out of each other with flamethrowers and saws and such ?

Yep ! Once you get it to the level of "Flying Robot Drone Wars" you'll fill stadiums everywhere !
Maybe maybe not much depends on the competitive nature of the people buying Multi roters and the Risc they are willing to take and how long they can afford to replace crashed MR's. Then U end up like in most sports it the same guys that win and the alos runs. (ala NASCar). Look how big 704 1/12 scale combat got. Then people go pissed and started all other kind of combat with different rules weights sizes etc. Look at any R/C race it mainly for the constants/combatants ... Fun Flys bring out the Paying public comes to see our Jet rally, Big Buid Fun Fys, this week end we have an Electric Festiavle. 200 pilots and 500+ planes for 3 days (WE HOPE) weather / winds. Just saying watching Pattern and some racing is more or less like watching paint dry. (IMAC too). It's mostly for the contents. Now if they went 200 mph and crashed a lot it might be a very different out come. Maybe giant screens showing what the FPV pilot sees. What ys think CBS or FOX gona fit a second remote camera the rotates 360 degrees For that in flight experience. Now there's an Idea. FPV combat with Head tracker cameras On the Jumbotron.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:30 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Believe it or not, they're doing it already. I've seen it at the past 2-3 Maker Faire events I've attended. Might be more interesting if they were using larger MR aircraft and the enclosed netting was a little larger. Would be really interesting from an FPV perspective as well.

IMHO FPV racing is going to get a lot of attention over the next several years.
Why MR? Wouldn't fixed wing pylon racers be more exciting with FPV? I assume they are a lot faster. If so why can we not start such a thing? Then try to get it televised.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:47 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As is typical with all your responses, you expect something to be an instant success the day it is launched with profit and great numbers. The reality is that almost never happens. McDonald's didn't have 10k franchises after their first day in business. The whole MR thing is still relatively new and MR racing is still in its infancy. It will take time to see how it all plays out and if the AMA membership numbers grow which I expect they will. I'd figure at least 3-5 years for the numbers to potentially level off.
3 to 5 years it will be dead as with most fads. Yes I expect results or even a sign of growth and I've haven't seen much and I've actually looked. As normal on theses threads id there were they would be shoved down my throat.

Mike
Old 02-25-2016, 08:56 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by radioman
I have question from what I here when you buy a new drone you register it at purchase is that true if so does this apply to airplane kits I'm talking stick build i'm not trying to be a smart ass.I love building so if I build a plane for someone else do I register it or do they I test fly everything I build so if I don't register am I breaking the law
Hi Radioman , the easy answer is that with us model aircraft UAS users , we register ourselves and not the model . You get one number from the FAA that you put on how ever many models you own . Once you get into the larger (over 55 pounds) or commercial use UAS , then each machine will need it's own number .

Thank You Chris for those links . Flying Robot Drone Wars , sounds like a good warmup act for Monster Truck Slamfest or something like that .
Old 02-25-2016, 09:57 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
3 to 5 years it will be dead as with most fads.

I highly doubt that. The plankers said the same thing about helicopters back in the 1970s. Never happened.

Yes I expect results or even a sign of growth and I've haven't seen much and I've actually looked.

Noting wrong with expecting results, it's just that that those expectations need to be realistic.

As normal on theses threads id there were they would be shoved down my throat.

Mike
Have you ever purchased a house and had a mortgage on it? Did you pay it off the day after the closing?
Old 02-25-2016, 10:00 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Why MR? Wouldn't fixed wing pylon racers be more exciting with FPV? I assume they are a lot faster. If so why can we not start such a thing? Then try to get it televised.
Go for it. No pylon racing in my neck of the woods that I'm aware of.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:13 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by radioman
I have question from what I here when you buy a new drone you register it at purchase is that true if so does this apply to airplane kits I'm talking stick build i'm not trying to be a smart ass.I love building so if I build a plane for someone else do I register it or do they I test fly everything I build so if I don't register am I breaking the law
I don't know of any stores doing registration at purchase, I was in a hobby store in Los Angeles a few weeks ago and my colleague bought a drone, they didn't even mention registration. He registered via the FAA site.

Last edited by Rob2160; 02-25-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:18 AM
Sport_Pilot

Go for it. No pylon racing in my neck of the woods that I'm aware of.
I don't know of any club doing pylon racing here. But sounds like fun!
Old 02-25-2016, 10:23 AM
Rob2160

Pylon racers would be faster in the open sky but lack the manoeuvrability to do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MBW8zoZUR4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjOqNljw7ck Here is a fixed wing pylon race for comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SZF1tJgykE

Last edited by Rob2160; 02-25-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:32 AM
rcmiket

I highly doubt that. The plankers said the same thing about helicopters back in the 1970s. Never happened.
I don't recall that ever being said.

Mike
Old 02-25-2016, 10:32 AM
Sport_Pilot

I think that small electric pylon racers could keep on a course the size of a basketball court. And instead of just pylons, fly through obstacles which a maneuverable plank can fly through. I don't think you want to fly Q40 indoors!. It would be a new class with more wing than current pylon racers, but much faster than MR.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:34 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I guess if you like NASCAR. Go fast and turn left. Seems a bit boring to me.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:36 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

How's this for something a lot more exciting than just turning around a few pylons.

https://youtu.be/oLyTc6MZI6I
Old 02-25-2016, 10:37 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I don't recall that ever being said.

Mike
Use your time machine to go back to the 1970s.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:37 AM
Sport_Pilot

Since when did NASCAR fly though holes over under fences, and other obstacles?
Old 02-25-2016, 10:42 AM
Sport_Pilot

Maybe the FPV pylon racer had a wide angel lens, but I though they flew lower and cut the pylons a lot closer than that.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:10 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Since when did NASCAR fly though holes over under fences, and other obstacles?
Don't know all I said was:

Old 02-25-2016, 11:20 AM
Sport_Pilot

Don't know all I said was:
So why do you think this needs to be a NASCAR track? No one said anything about NASCAR, you brought it up.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:29 AM
rcmiket

Use your time machine to go back to the 1970s.
I remember the 70's well and we liked helicopters.

Mike
Old 02-25-2016, 11:49 AM
TimJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKi9MGikADs This is FPV Wing racing.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:34 PM
bokuda
My Feedback: (7)

Originally Posted by porcia83
LoL...good one. Still butthurt over something I see...perhaps that's what's impeding your ability to read and comprehend what the FAA has written. Absent a few words that could be more clear I suppose, 99% of people can get past the pedantry and figure it all out. Since you failed to request permission before submitting, I'm not sending you my Clff Notes version of the FAA document.
No hurt here. Just will not get into pissing matches with know it all jerks.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:46 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by bokuda
No hurt here. Just will not get into pissing matches with know it all jerks.
Right...because drive by pot shots by guys looking for attention are so much better. Name calling, the hallmark of class.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:33 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Right...because drive by pot shots by guys looking for attention are so much better. Name calling, the hallmark of class.
The narcissist never ceasing to amaze.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:35 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Says the pot to the kettle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.