Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 08:10 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
We stock all the Yuneec and Chroma's so that's not it. We also do media advertising reflecting what "drones" we carry along with other stock, so that's not it. We actually have a staff that knows the product, so that's not it. Why do you feel sales won't level off " for some time" ? What are you using for a indicator? I find it really interesting that someone with no ties whatsoever ti the retail world know so much about how it works.

Mike
How many walk-ins do you get on a typical day? What days/hours is your store open?
Old 03-02-2016, 08:32 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by init4fun
Thank You for that report Mike .

I really do appreciate your insider's view of the hobby from what I would consider the "front lines" of the hobby , the owner of a hobby shop selling the very objects being discussed here . Your specific examples come from the absolute fact that you deal with the day to day marketability of these products , rather than the idle speculation monkeyspank that passes for "fact" around here from people not involved with how many of these things are or are not being sold . You want to know why I trust your posts above ALL others on this subject ? Simple , cause I've known for quite a while you own a hobbyshop , and not ONCE have you tried to use our conversations here at RCU as a sales pitch to sell me stuff from your store . The very fact that I've never seen you go spamming up the place means to me that your honest and are here for RC discussion instead of being here for nothing but to push your business , like the way that damned "gens ace" goes and spams up the battery forum on a daily basis .
Mikey owns the hobby shop? I thought he was retired and just works there part-time.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:12 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Mikey owns the hobby shop? I thought he was retired and just works there part-time.

Guess you missed Post 4797.

Mikle
Old 03-02-2016, 09:13 AM
rcmiket

How many walk-ins do you get on a typical day? What days/hours is your store open?

It varies as far as traffic. Open 7 days a week.

Mike
Old 03-02-2016, 10:51 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Out to 4km & 28 minutes flight time & autonomous too with Flight Tracking. Must be really trying to Aggravate the FAA. Not one word about registration or having to have a commercial DRONE License to sell a picture made with it. OH Well maybe the feds were watching Super Tuesday To see which candidates might save their jobs from privatization.
DJI is a Chinese company and have a Global market. No registration is needed outside the USA.

A majority of the world's countries don't require a commercial drone licence either.

Having said that, the USA is no doubt their largest single market so local distributors and reps should be mentioning the requirements. (They are starting to on the DJI threads elsewhere)

Last edited by Rob2160; 03-02-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:55 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by porcia83
What exactly is huge? Got specific examples?

Any chance they reduced the prices to move inventory and make way for new models...pretty much like every retail company in the world does?
Saw the Chroma in LA recently for $899. (The 4K RTF model)

Original ticket price was $1299.

The same product is being discounted in Australia from $2000 AUD to $1399.

Factoring current exchange rates and local taxes it works out the same.

Last edited by Rob2160; 03-02-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:48 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

We stock all the Yuneec and Chroma's so that's not it. We also do media advertising reflecting what "drones" we carry along with other stock, so that's not it. We actually have a staff that knows the product, so that's not it. Why do you feel sales won't level off " for some time" ? What are you using for a indicator? I find it really interesting that someone with no ties whatsoever ti the retail world know so much about how it works.

Mike
Originally Posted by Rob2160
Saw the Chroma in LA recently for $899. (The 4K RTF model)

Original ticket price was $1299.

The same product is being discounted in Australia from $2000 AUD to $1399.

Factoring current exchange rates and local taxes it works out the same.
Well said Mike ....

And to Rob ,

I will freely admit to not ever having bought one single multicopter so I can't speak for the market regarding them . What I have bought , a LOT of , is video games . I am the enabler who has bought my young adult Son his video games starting with PS2 , we "graduated" to PS3 and finally PS4 , and own between 50 to 75 or so different game titles for each machine . Now , why I mention video games is , when they are the newest release , the latest and greatest , is when they cost the most . Because we buy them when they are first released we pay the crazy high prices . After that particular game has been sold at the high price long enough that sales begin to drop off they lower the price and then release a new latest & greatest and the cycle repeats . I have seen this same marketing dynamic in many industries other than hobby equipment and I think it possibly could be one of the market forces at work here with the price of the MR you and Mike are talking about . Makes sense , only a certain number of folks will spend top dollar to have the newest thing out , and when sales to them begin to drop off cause they've all bought one , now we lower the price to attract the next tier of buyers , the ones who don't need the newest thing in the skies to save a few bucks .
Old 03-02-2016, 01:11 PM
TimJ

It seems the drop in sales may be due to the economy slowing again. Many big box stores closed hundreds of stores right after Christmas. Oil companies have laid-off thousands of employees. Retail sales in general was off across the board the 4th quarter.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:25 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike
I find it interesting, (and perhaps a bit creepy) that you would presume to know if I do or don't have ties to the retail world. I could make the same presumptions about someone working in a retail environment as a sales clerk and lacking the full understanding of marketing and promotions as well. As usual, you didn't quote me correctly, but that's a leg up from just adding stuff in that I didn't say, so that's a good thing.

"No doubt sales will level off at some point, but I don't suspect it will be anytime soon"

Anyone involved in this hobby, even as a layperson can see that MRs sales are increasing, they have been for over a year now, more like three actually. To deny or ignore that is just silly. The market continues to be flooded with these aircraft, and the usages of them continues to expand, not only for commercial purposes, but for the hobby as well. Think Tower gives 11 pages of it's mailer away to a product that is decreasing in sales and popularity by 75%? How about Horizon, would they bring out over 30 models for something that isn't selling? Perhaps it's completely anecdotal and by happenstance that those that are downplaying the popularity of the MR etc the same folks who really don't like them?

As with most data sets, there are different ways to look at them, and different ways to explain the numbers.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:31 PM
rcmiket

I find it interesting, (and perhaps a bit creepy) that you would presume to know if I do or don't have ties to the retail world. I could make the same presumptions about someone working in a retail environment as a sales clerk and lacking the full understanding of marketing and promotions as well. As usual, you didn't quote me correctly, but that's a leg up from just adding stuff in that I didn't say, so that's a good thing.

"No doubt sales will level off at some point, but I don't suspect it will be anytime soon"

Anyone involved in this hobby, even as a layperson can see that MRs sales are increasing, they have been for over a year now, more like three actually. To deny or ignore that is just silly. The market continues to be flooded with these aircraft, and the usages of them continues to expand, not only for commercial purposes, but for the hobby as well. Think Tower gives 11 pages of it's mailer away to a product that is decreasing in sales and popularity by 75%? How about Horizon, would they bring out over 30 models for something that isn't selling? Perhaps it's completely anecdotal and by happenstance that those that are downplaying the popularity of the MR etc the same folks who really don't like them?

As with most data sets, there are different ways to look at them, and different ways to explain the numbers.
You'd save a lot of typing by just saying you have no proof of anything your saying. I find it" creepy" that even with no facts to back up what you say you still insist your right.

Mike
Old 03-02-2016, 01:31 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by init4fun
Well said Mike ....

And to Rob ,

I will freely admit to not ever having bought one single multicopter so I can't speak for the market regarding them . What I have bought , a LOT of , is video games . I am the enabler who has bought my young adult Son his video games starting with PS2 , we "graduated" to PS3 and finally PS4 , and own between 50 to 75 or so different game titles for each machine . Now , why I mention video games is , when they are the newest release , the latest and greatest , is when they cost the most . Because we buy them when they are first released we pay the crazy high prices . After that particular game has been sold at the high price long enough that sales begin to drop off they lower the price and then release a new latest & greatest and the cycle repeats . I have seen this same marketing dynamic in many industries other than hobby equipment and I think it possibly could be one of the market forces at work here with the price of the MR you and Mike are talking about . Makes sense , only a certain number of folks will spend top dollar to have the newest thing out , and when sales to them begin to drop off cause they've all bought one , now we lower the price to attract the next tier of buyers , the ones who don't need the newest thing in the skies to save a few bucks .
I vaguely remember the $20.00 and $30.00 video game prices...then was shocked to see the more current ones when the PS2 and PS3 ones became popular. And of course the kids burn through he games quickly and want something new, so the $70.00 game goes abandoned after they've figured out all the tricks. Luckily Game Stop is kind enough to offer a $20.00 credit and then turn around and sell the game used for $50.00.

Then again..this is nowhere near the lunacy that's going on with buying and selling of new and used Sneakers, usually the basketball ones. Insane! (I'm officially an old man now).
Old 03-02-2016, 01:34 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TimJ
It seems the drop in sales may be due to the economy slowing again. Many big box stores closed hundreds of stores right after Christmas. Oil companies have laid-off thousands of employees. Retail sales in general was off across the board the 4th quarter.
And I see the Chinese are laying-off millions of workers. That's going to impact toys sales in the US and elsewhere.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:35 PM
porcia83
Banned

You'd save a lot of typing by just saying you have no proof of anything your saying. I find it" creepy" that even with no facts to back up what you say you still insist your right.

Mike
I've never claimed to be right...that's the prism you always see my comments from. For the record, I didn't claim you were wrong, again that's how you react. I've never claimed to offer facts, nor have you for that matter. It's all opinion. Some based on common sense, others based on a well established bias.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:44 PM
porcia83
Banned

Anyone see Huerta testifying today? Thoughts?
Old 03-02-2016, 01:47 PM
rcmiket

I've never claimed to be right...that's the prism you always see my comments from. For the record, I didn't claim you were wrong, again that's how you react. I've never claimed to offer facts, nor have you for that matter. It's all opinion. Some based on common sense, others based on a well established bias.
OK I'll settle for that. As it has in the past when dealing with you my daily experience at the LHS means nothing.

Mike
Old 03-02-2016, 08:08 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Not to derail the topic but I wonder if folks happened to see this PBS show on the Rise of Drones https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HopKAYthJV4
Thought it was sharing if its not come up before.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:59 AM
porcia83
Banned

That's a great show, Nova always does great stuff. There is a cool factor to the technology for sure, but they focused mostly on the military aspect of them. As the technology advances I hope there is an equal amount of emphasis on how these can help society as well, not just rain down death from thousands of miles away. They've been using drone technology for years in Japan for agricultural reasons, and we see this coming on line in the states as well. During testimony before Congress yesterday they noted this, as well as railway companies using them to check the railways and tracks for safety. The guy in TX has used them to assist in search and rescue operations, I hope to see more examples of that coming to light as well.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:32 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by TheEdge
Not to derail the topic but I wonder if folks happened to see this PBS show on the Rise of Drones https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HopKAYthJV4
Thought it was sharing if its not come up before.
That was good, thanks for posting.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:10 PM
jatoRC

Yeah, keep dreaming. The full size aircraft registration database is publicly available too. Who do you think has a larger net worth, the guys playing with real aircraft or model aircraft?
This no diifferent than the FCC database. You can search it by name license type, FRN number or call sign. It will return the licensed name and address. Many people have lots of $ invested in radio equipment also.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:20 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Yeah, keep dreaming. The full size aircraft registration database is publicly available too. Who do you think has a larger net worth, the guys playing with real aircraft or model aircraft?

Originally Posted by jatoRC
This no diifferent than the FCC database. You can search it by name license type, FRN number or call sign. It will return the licensed name and address. Many people have lots of $ invested in radio equipment also.
Just Google Any "N" number it tells every thing.
Try this goto MORE then Flight Radar U can track any airplane in the world.Just drag the map to any aera and klick on a plane and read the data on the left Have fun.

http://www.apachejctwx.com/weather2/...g=en#data-area
Old 03-03-2016, 05:11 PM
Rob2160

Just Google Any "N" number it tells every thing.
Try this goto MORE then Flight Radar U can track any airplane in the world.Just drag the map to any aera and klick on a plane and read the data on the left Have fun.

http://www.apachejctwx.com/weather2/...g=en#data-area
Not quite any... operators have the option to request FAA flight detail suppression for privacy reasons. (Most Corporate aircraft are suppressed) - all you get is the aircraft type on flight radar. Nothing else.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-03-03 at 6.01.10 pm.png
Views:	40
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	2150716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-03-03 at 6.10.24 pm.png
Views:	43
Size:	611.7 KB
ID:	2150721  

Last edited by Rob2160; 03-03-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:27 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Not quite any... operators have the option to request FAA flight detail suppression for privacy reasons. (Most Corporate aircraft are suppressed) - all you get is the aircraft type on flight radar. Nothing else.

yes I've seen that but U get their altitude speed and type. If it does give an N number I goo to Landings .com and it answers every thing. What the N number on the aircraft U fly.
http://www.landings.com/evird.acgi$p...earch_nnr.html
Old 03-03-2016, 05:33 PM
Rob2160

yes I've seen that but U get their altitude speed and type. If it does give an N number I goo to Landings .com and it answers every thing. What the N number on the aircraft U fly.
http://www.landings.com/evird.acgi$p...earch_nnr.html
I'll send you a PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:47 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by jatoRC
It's not clear what criteria the drone DB can be searched on. I've heard FAA, but nothing else mentioned. I'm familiar with the FCC DB and the cost of gear.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:25 PM
TimJ

Is the government now enforcing their perceived rules?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DJI Phantom mess.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	2151827  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.