Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Old 03-15-2016, 04:51 AM
  #4876  
Sport_Pilot
 
Sport_Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 16,916
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
In the future , when the FAA has finished with eliminating unregulated BLOS flying of the sort that most FPV pilots practice , and the "hobby" BLOS operations have fully ceased , and the "jump onto the newest toy fad" folks have then moved on to the next fad because good ol AMA #550 FPV (the only kind that will be allowed to be practiced) was so SO boring and confining for them , then the numbers will begin to balance out . Once they can't fly anywhere they want regardless of the safety of others , the thrill will be gone for them and that's when you'll see the true separation of folks who love aircraft VS folks who love the next new toy . Let's be honest , how many of today's FPV people will be spending that kind of cash when it becomes fully enforced that there are NO BLOS operations of any kind allowed ? As in , YES , it MUST be within the spotter's physical sight at all times , no more "star wars tie fighter" weaving through buildings and other sight blocking objects .

Now on the commercial UAS side of the house ? BUY STOCK NOW !!!! Amazon WILL be delivering widgets and a bunch of other commercial operators are gonna add up to big business once the commercial UAS are fully integrated . "The sky's the limit" don't even come close to the scale of future commercial UAS business and commercial UAS is gonna be as big a deal as the computer revolution was to the late 1970s early/mid 1980s . And they're (the money people) not gonna allow your unrestricted toy to get in the way of their bought and paid for slice of the air .

PS , Yes I DO realize this post will be flamed for my saying that most FPV is flown unrestricted . Look at every U tube video you can find , and add up the times you see true and proper #550 FPV being flown VS FPV being flown over unprotected people and out of the non existent spotter's sight . I can find you literally 1000s of flights that do NOT conform to #550 VS only a precious few that do ! So yes , based on what's seen in every on line venue I've checked , I stand fully behind the assertion that more FPV is flown counter to #550 than in accordance with it .

Have fun , and don't forget to parse my grammar (insert middle finger smiley here)
I don't think the FAA will ever eliminate unregulated BLOS. Heck they have not even eliminated full scale airplanes from flying to low! Or flying stunts where they should not, not following control tower instructions, etc.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:53 AM
  #4877  
rcmiket
 
rcmiket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,188
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...with-uas-poll/


https://csuci.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0jkUzTeKGnslZ2Z

Interesting poll.

Mike
Old 03-15-2016, 05:10 AM
  #4878  
init4fun
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,449
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rcmiket View Post
The spectators breaking down the fences to get in is what sold me on this.

Mike
Hey Mike ,


What the "a chicken in every pot and a drone in every toybox" crew aren't taking into account is the fad nature of these toys and what's to become of them in the very near future . I have a friend who owned a paintball supply shop back in paintball's early days and the parallels here are uncanny . Something new to the public , huge influx of folks attracted to the next greatest toy (hey ! you get to shoot your friends and they don't die !!! How cool is that !!) equaling explosive growth , market saturation followed by regulation that takes the "fun" out of it for the next greatest thing seekers , and then the decline in sales as the fad crew moves on and your left with the "hardcore" , the guys who will always be paintballers (or RCers , in our case) . Yes I do believe AMA #550 FPV will continue , but I also believe the unrestricted hobby BLOS flying of FPV equipment has already seen it's heyday , and the declining sales you see are reflective of people not wanting to lay out big hobby money for something that's very shortly to have it's wings clipped . The big money people putting the commercial drones into the air are not going to tolerate the risk posed to their operations by something being where it's not allowed to be . That will be the bottom line and what will be the push that sends the fad crew off to the "next big thing" . Who knows , maybe they'll finally perfect an actual real hoverboard that actually hovers with Lipos that don't catch fire . Yea , dreaming again ....
Old 03-15-2016, 05:23 AM
  #4879  
rcmiket
 
rcmiket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,188
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

With some of those here I don't think that they just love these little toys some much it's more abut justifying the expense and energy the AMA's using courting them.

Mike
Old 03-15-2016, 05:41 AM
  #4880  
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,762
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rcmiket View Post
http://news.yahoo.com/first-ever-wor...110501083.html
At the weekend’s award ceremony, the United Arab Emirates government also announced plans for next year’s inaugural World Future Sports Games that’ll see robots battling it out in swimming, running, wrestling, and car racing events. By then, we’re assuming the competing bots will be a bit more reliable than those that bit the dust in hilarious fashion during DARPA’s Robotics Challenge Finals last year.


Notice that their government is behind and supporting this.

Smart government.

Mike
..
Old 03-15-2016, 05:46 AM
  #4881  
init4fun
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,449
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rcmiket View Post
With some of those here I don't think that they just love these little toys some much it's more abut justifying the expense and energy the AMA's using courting them.

Mike
My Friend , in a very simple nutshell ;

Those who would fly AMA #550 compliant FPV are highly likely to already be members . Those who would not follow #550 and fly unrestricted BLOS are also highly likely to not want anything to do with the AMA and our "fun killing" rules such as keeping it within the spotter's LOS only . Spending anything to court the rogue BLOS flyer is money out the window .
Old 03-15-2016, 05:48 AM
  #4882  
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,762
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rcmiket View Post
With some of those here I don't think that they just love these little toys some much it's more abut justifying the expense and energy the AMA's using courting them.

Mike
With others it's just about maintaining the status quo. Do absolutely nothing and then complain your business isn't growing, never realizing the average age of your membership.

Some folks go through life never realizing one definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing and expecting to get different results.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:38 AM
  #4883  
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)
 
HoundDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Apache Junction AZ. WI 0WI8
Posts: 4,497
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rcmiket View Post
http://news.yahoo.com/first-ever-wor...110501083.html
At the weekend’s award ceremony, the United Arab Emirates government also announced plans for next year’s inaugural World Future Sports Games that’ll see robots battling it out in swimming, running, wrestling, and car racing events. By then, we’re assuming the competing bots will be a bit more reliable than those that bit the dust in hilarious fashion during DARPA’s Robotics Challenge Finals last year.


Notice that their government is behind and supporting this.

Mike
The world is behind and supporting DRONES get it got it good.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:41 AM
  #4884  
rcmiket
 
rcmiket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,188
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HoundDog View Post
The world is behind and supporting DRONES get it got it good.
The world also lets ISIS thrive.

Mike
Old 03-15-2016, 06:47 AM
  #4885  
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,762
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rcmiket View Post
The world also lets ISIS thrive.

Mike
But that's only temporary. Once the Oompa Loompa takes office and ISIS is gone and the other great wall is built life will be perfect, well, except for the drones of course. Who knows, maybe the Oompa Loompa is a warbird fan and then everything except Oompa Loompa approved warbirds will be legal. Yeah, that's the R/C hobby I want.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:49 AM
  #4886  
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)
 
HoundDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Apache Junction AZ. WI 0WI8
Posts: 4,497
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
My Friend , in a very simple nutshell ;

Those who would fly AMA #550 compliant FPV are highly likely to already be members . Those who would not follow #550 and fly unrestricted BLOS are also highly likely to not want anything to do with the AMA and our "fun killing" rules such as keeping it within the spotter's LOS only . Spending anything to court the rogue BLOS flyer is money out the window .
NO BLOS is bogus when done properly out in non congested areas like Deserts, over water, mountains areas wilderness areas. Maybe even caves but would probably loose signal. Much safer than fling 500' AGL in a Full Scale airplane where U endanger your self your passengers with 37.5 seconds to live after the fan stops.Also endangering a few Rattlers coyotes and jackrabbits who incidentally have rights too. Quads do NO HARM if they are in the desert or other non public areas.Beside any Video is Usually Stunning Down in the weeds or high above ya the Ultimate Selfey.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:53 AM
  #4887  
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)
 
HoundDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Apache Junction AZ. WI 0WI8
Posts: 4,497
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

[h=1]Now an F-16 can launch a swarm of 3D-printed carbon fiber drones[/h]



Rick Stella

Digital Trends

March 14, 2016











While flying over an airfield in Alaska last June, an Air Force F-16 traveling 430 miles per hour casually launched a swarm of miniature drones directly from its flare dispenser. Measuring no bigger than an iPhone 6 Plus and weighing roughly 1 pound, these tiny drones (referred to as Perdix) exited the host fighter jet via small canisters outfitted with parachutes. During the descent, the canisters slowly unleashed the Perdix drones they were carrying, allowing the crafts to spread their wings and begin flying — entirely on their own.
Because this project comes from a secretive wing of the Pentagon, what the UAVs might do next (on a battlefield, that is) remains classified information. What is unclassified, however, is a short video published by the Department of Defense, depicting the action mentioned above. Though relatively brief, the video does provide some insight into the future of Air Force reconnaissance. For as tight-lipped as the Pentagon stands regarding the Perdix drone’s actual assignment, one could speculate they’d be used for inexpensive surveillance or as an anti-aircraft system decoy.

Developed by students at MIT, each Perdix drone is 3D-printed using Kevlar and carbon fiber and boasts electronics you’d typically find in an everyday cell phone — a lithium polymer battery, for instance. According to deputy defense secretary Bob Work, the Perdix craft has the ability to carry various payloads in the future and possesses the capability to communicate with its entire swarm while flying.
“Just imagine an airplane going in against an IAD (Integrated Air Defense) system and dropping 30 of these out that form into a network and do crazy things,” Work tells BreakingDefense.com. “We’ve tested this. We’ve tested it and it works.”
Related: The US Air Force just unveiled initial renderings of its new B-21 stealth bomber
Though MIT students invented and created the idea for the Perdix drones, the Pentagon’s secretive Strategic Capabilities Office took the innovative tech and devised a way for it to launch via warplanes. Led by physicist William Roper, the small SCO team began running trials with the Perdix craft back in 2014 before undergoing the full-scale testing seen in Alaska last year. The likely end goal for SCO is to make the Perdix system much more effective and cost-friendly than traditional Miniature Air-Launch Decoys.





Old 03-15-2016, 08:57 AM
  #4888  
joebahl
Senior Member
My Feedback: (2)
 
joebahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: joliet, IL
Posts: 1,574
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
In the future , when the FAA has finished with eliminating unregulated BLOS flying of the sort that most FPV pilots practice , and the "hobby" BLOS operations have fully ceased , and the "jump onto the newest toy fad" folks have then moved on to the next fad because good ol AMA #550 FPV (the only kind that will be allowed to be practiced) was so SO boring and confining for them , then the numbers will begin to balance out . Once they can't fly anywhere they want regardless of the safety of others , the thrill will be gone for them and that's when you'll see the true separation of folks who love aircraft VS folks who love the next new toy . Let's be honest , how many of today's FPV people will be spending that kind of cash when it becomes fully enforced that there are NO BLOS operations of any kind allowed ? As in , YES , it MUST be within the spotter's physical sight at all times , no more "star wars tie fighter" weaving through buildings and other sight blocking objects .

Now on the commercial UAS side of the house ? BUY STOCK NOW !!!! Amazon WILL be delivering widgets and a bunch of other commercial operators are gonna add up to big business once the commercial UAS are fully integrated . "The sky's the limit" don't even come close to the scale of future commercial UAS business and commercial UAS is gonna be as big a deal as the computer revolution was to the late 1970s early/mid 1980s . And they're (the money people) not gonna allow your unrestricted toy to get in the way of their bought and paid for slice of the air .

PS , Yes I DO realize this post will be flamed for my saying that most FPV is flown unrestricted . Look at every U tube video you can find , and add up the times you see true and proper #550 FPV being flown VS FPV being flown over unprotected people and out of the non existent spotter's sight . I can find you literally 1000s of flights that do NOT conform to #550 VS only a precious few that do ! So yes , based on what's seen in every on line venue I've checked , I stand fully behind the assertion that more FPV is flown counter to #550 than in accordance with it .

Have fun , and don't forget to parse my grammar (insert middle finger smiley here)
No i agree and great post. Wait for the other die hards tho . lol joe
Old 03-15-2016, 10:08 AM
  #4889  
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,269
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rcmiket View Post
When heli's hit the seen the AMA did not spend a dime "promoting" them or " educating" the user on safe operation or lobbying in Washington to prevent forced "registration" of them. Since the arrival of MR's all the above has and still is happening.


Mike
Again you're missing the point of the comparison. It's about the AMA being accepting of new technology and new ways of modeling and flying. The technology advances that have come with the advent of MR and Drones are certainly different that what the heli brought to the table. Also, the 250k wasn't earmarked for "promotion of drones" rather than the educational aspects of them. The AMA can't in any way compete (not then, not now) with the manufacturers of them.

They are a unique item that came at a unique period in time, and required a unique approach to dealing with them.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:14 AM
  #4890  
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,269
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Hey Mike ,


What the "a chicken in every pot and a drone in every toybox" crew aren't taking into account is the fad nature of these toys and what's to become of them in the very near future . I have a friend who owned a paintball supply shop back in paintball's early days and the parallels here are uncanny . Something new to the public , huge influx of folks attracted to the next greatest toy (hey ! you get to shoot your friends and they don't die !!! How cool is that !!) equaling explosive growth , market saturation followed by regulation that takes the "fun" out of it for the next greatest thing seekers , and then the decline in sales as the fad crew moves on and your left with the "hardcore" , the guys who will always be paintballers (or RCers , in our case) . Yes I do believe AMA #550 FPV will continue , but I also believe the unrestricted hobby BLOS flying of FPV equipment has already seen it's heyday , and the declining sales you see are reflective of people not wanting to lay out big hobby money for something that's very shortly to have it's wings clipped . The big money people putting the commercial drones into the air are not going to tolerate the risk posed to their operations by something being where it's not allowed to be . That will be the bottom line and what will be the push that sends the fad crew off to the "next big thing" . Who knows , maybe they'll finally perfect an actual real hoverboard that actually hovers with Lipos that don't catch fire . Yea , dreaming again ....
The explosive growth with MR/drones we see now will certainly level off at some point, as do all fads. I still think they will end up being more popular than helis. Commercial use and operation will eclipse hobby use for sure, not a question of if, it's a question of when. That oddly enough is why I think the FAA got involved in regulating these, and as little tadpoles in the pond, we got roped up into this.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:16 AM
  #4891  
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,269
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rcmiket View Post
With some of those here I don't think that they just love these little toys some much it's more abut justifying the expense and energy the AMA's using courting them.

Mike
Who here needs to justify anything the AMA has done or will do. It's being done regardless. Have you seen any difference in the way they operate one way or another based on comments here? You never seem to want to consider the fact that some people are o/k with what they are doing. That isn't justifying it, it's accepting it.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:35 AM
  #4892  
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,269
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

What in particular do you think is interesting about it? That's is from a college? That it's a poll for the public?
Old 03-15-2016, 11:20 AM
  #4893  
rcmiket
 
rcmiket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,188
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
Again you're missing the point of the comparison. It's about the AMA being accepting of new technology and new ways of modeling and flying. The technology advances that have come with the advent of MR and Drones are certainly different that what the heli brought to the table. Also, the 250k wasn't earmarked for "promotion of drones" rather than the educational aspects of them. The AMA can't in any way compete (not then, not now) with the manufacturers of them.

They are a unique item that came at a unique period in time, and required a unique approach to dealing with them.
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
The explosive growth with MR/drones we see now will certainly level off at some point, as do all fads. I still think they will end up being more popular than helis. Commercial use and operation will eclipse hobby use for sure, not a question of if, it's a question of when. That oddly enough is why I think the FAA got involved in regulating these, and as little tadpoles in the pond, we got roped up into this.
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
Who here needs to justify anything the AMA has done or will do. It's being done regardless. Have you seen any difference in the way they operate one way or another based on comments here? You never seem to want to consider the fact that some people are o/k with what they are doing. That isn't justifying it, it's accepting it.
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
What in particular do you think is interesting about it? That's is from a college? That it's a poll for the public?
Well I'm done with you. This just keeps going round and round. It's been fun but I'm moving on to more consructive endevors.
See ya.Welcome to my ignore list.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 03-15-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:21 AM
  #4894  
TimJ
Thread Starter
 
TimJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orange County CA
Posts: 1,170
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by init4fun View Post

PS , Yes I DO realize this post will be flamed for my saying that most FPV is flown unrestricted . Look at every U tube video you can find , and add up the times you see true and proper #550 FPV being flown VS FPV being flown over unprotected people and out of the non existent spotter's sight . I can find you literally 1000s of flights that do NOT conform to #550 VS only a precious few that do ! So yes , based on what's seen in every on line venue I've checked , I stand fully behind the assertion that more FPV is flown counter to #550 than in accordance with it .

Have fun , and don't forget to parse my grammar (insert middle finger smiley here)
This I think is wrong. At least in the sense of FPV racing. The FPV racing scene is usually very safely ran. FPV for photography will fizzle a bit, but FPV racing will not. The guys that are using drones for their hobby of photography, yes you can find videos all day long of not following safety code. The organized FPV racing crew, you will find is safer than our model airplane crew.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:24 AM
  #4895  
rcmiket
 
rcmiket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,188
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon View Post
But that's only temporary. Once the Oompa Loompa takes office and ISIS is gone and the other great wall is built life will be perfect, well, except for the drones of course. Who knows, maybe the Oompa Loompa is a warbird fan and then everything except Oompa Loompa approved warbirds will be legal. Yeah, that's the R/C hobby I want.
Done with you as well. Welcome to my ignore list.

Mike
Old 03-15-2016, 11:53 AM
  #4896  
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,762
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rcmiket View Post
The world also lets ISIS thrive.

Mike
Originally Posted by rcmiket View Post
Done with you as well. Welcome to my ignore list.

Mike
Can't handle the reality of your own posts?
Old 03-15-2016, 11:57 AM
  #4897  
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,762
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rcmiket View Post
Well I'm done with you. This just keeps going round and round. It's been fun but I'm moving on to more consructive endevors.
See ya.Welcome to my ignore list.

Mike
You're not kidding anyone, you'll be back.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:01 PM
  #4898  
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,269
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rcmiket View Post
Well I'm done with you. This just keeps going round and round. It's been fun but I'm moving on to more consructive endevors.
See ya.Welcome to my ignore list.

Mike
Originally Posted by rcmiket View Post
Done with you as well. Welcome to my ignore list.

Mike
Anyone who has to say they are using the ignore function usually doesn't.

Can you honestly not handle some discussion? Can't take a little debate or back and forth so you shut down? I've never seen a group of people who are so unable to have a discussion and storm off if their view isn't accepted, unbelievable. Your choice of course, but seriously lame, imo. Then again you've said this before so.......

Here I was thinking you were going to respond with this additional information that's "interesting"

http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutam...minations.aspx

Based on your repeated comments that there is all this unrest and unhappiness in the AMA ranks, it will be "interesting" to see how many tons and tons of people run for these 3 positions. Anyone want to take bets it will be like your district, with two people running and a teeny tiny amount of people voting?

Anyway, I suspect you'll be here like you always are, and that's a good thing. Have fun with your more constructive endeavors.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:10 PM
  #4899  
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,269
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rcmiket View Post
Well I'm done with you. This just keeps going round and round. It's been fun but I'm moving on to more consructive endevors.
See ya.Welcome to my ignore list.

Mike


http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...raft-into-law/

More interesting news to review.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	special-rule-workflow.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	2152751  
Old 03-15-2016, 12:34 PM
  #4900  
init4fun
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,449
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TimJ View Post
This I think is wrong. At least in the sense of FPV racing. The FPV racing scene is usually very safely ran. FPV for photography will fizzle a bit, but FPV racing will not. The guys that are using drones for their hobby of photography, yes you can find videos all day long of not following safety code. The organized FPV racing crew, you will find is safer than our model airplane crew.
Hi Tim ,

If this FPV racing is being carried out under the auspices of #550 then yes by all means I do see that having a big part of aircraft modeling's future . Organized events , well set up and well run by folks who at least try to plan for every contingency (NO motor sports activity can ever be made "100% safe" , the 1% element of danger goes with the territory due to the human element) , are exactly what I was saying will survive . But if any of this FPV racing is being done in a patently unsafe manner , for example beyond physical sight or over unprotected heads , like my "star wars tie fighter" example of zipping around city buildings , It's that type of flying that's days are numbered . I have spent the last few months since this all came up casually checking the likes of Utube and other video hosting services (Who the hell names a video hosting site "Vimeo" ?) just using the three letters FPV . No hours on end searches , just a few minutes here and there in and around all the forum reading devoted time . It's truly eye opening how many FPV flights are BLOS VS being flown #550 approved ! Once they get the wrangling done over how much the commercial UAS operators are gonna pay to have their slice of the sky it will be then that the enforcement push to keep all us hobby users on the reservation (approved club fields*) VS being out in the wild blue roaming free , and getting run down in a collision with Channel 7'S weather reporting drone , will really begin in earnest .

* those approved club fields just as easily being FPV only clubs in the way we now have fixed wing only and Heli only clubs .

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.