Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 03:26 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Last I heard he's full time counsel for DJI.

http://www.suasnews.com/2015/11/4020...on-task-force/
Yup...sure is! I peeked at the article afterwards...sure enough, his pic right there. He's a smart guy, extremely intelligent and an avid hobbyist. I've spoken to him a few times, great sense of humor too.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:27 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Last I heard he's full time counsel for DJI.

He is.

Mike
Old 11-25-2015, 08:39 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Is the sort of grownup response you would rather have seen from an organization that purports to represent you?

"New York, November 23, 2015 – DJI, the world leader in drone technology, has concluded its participation on the Federal Aviation Administration Unmanned Aircraft Systems Registration Task Force. The report of the Task Force was released to the public today.
We share the concerns of many of the 4,700 people who filed comments that this process was initiated in response to sensational headlines rather than data-based risk assessments, and contradicts the provisions of several federal statutes. Nonetheless, we undertook in good faith the assignment, which was not to argue the law, but to use our expertise and knowledge as the world’s largest drone manufacturer to recommend to the Administrator a national drone registration system intended to be minimally burdensome to consumers and professionals, and effective at the stated goals.
The result is a recommended registration system that, if it were to become a legal mandate, reflects weeks of respectful dialog, genuine compromise, and a balancing of interests among the participants. While several aspects of the report might be of concern to one group or another, and remain so to DJI, we believe in the reasonable approach to accountability that is reflected in the package of recommendations sent to the Administrator.
We hope that the work of the Task Force serves as a model for how to develop innovative and practical regulatory solutions to the issues raised by small unmanned aircraft systems. One thing this process has established is that new participants in this industry, working together with traditional stakeholders, can accomplish more, and more quickly, than past approaches. This fast-moving technology demands that we do things in new ways. We hope to have the opportunity to work with the FAA and other agencies again soon."

Yes. It's much more professional. I just don't get why AMA made such a public spectacle about not being able to file a dissenting opinion. It gains them nothing and just looks bad in my opinion.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:02 PM
N410DC

Originally Posted by N410DC
There are currently no FARs that relate to sUAVs. I don't think the current registration system that applies to full aircraft will be generalized to sUAVs. The requirements for full scale aircraft state that each individual aircraft must have a registration identifier that begins with "N,: whereas the upcoming sUAV registration will probably use another format, and will be assigned to pilots, rather that aircraft.

Even if they do charge $5 for registration, paying that once for all of my aircraft is a lot better than paying $5 for all of my current and future models....
Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
The regulations say they have to charge $5 minimum. Probably backed by law. Apparently they don't see it necessary to look up the regulations on registering aircraft. This only makes them look like stupid lap dogs!
Originally Posted by porcia83
Source?
far 47-17
FAR 47-17 pertains to the current system of registering full-scale of aircraft, where each aircraft must have it own unique registration number. The Task Force has proposed a system that is fundamentally different that the current registration system, namely the fact that a single registration number can be simultaneously used for an unlimited number of aircraft. The task force has recommended that registration numbers be assigned to pilots, not aircraft. Clearly, the authors of FAR 47-17 could not possibly have foreseen a day where pilots would millions of sUAVs would need to be registered. When this policy was originally written, multirotor aircraft were nothing more than science fiction. Since the FAA will probably not be assigning "N" numbers to any sUAVs though this proposed system, I doubt that 47-17 will apply.

The task force has left it up to the FAA to decide how much should be charged for registration. The task force has made it abundantly clear that registration should be free. Whether or not they FAA will decide that 47-14 applies to sUAV remains to be seen, but it's really not relevant. Even if the FAA decided that 47-17 is not applicable, I would not be surprised if they charge us a fee anyway, as a ostensible means of paying for the expenses incurred in the development, implementation, and maintenance of this new registration system.

Granted, the FAA could just throw out the Task Force's recommendations regarding fees, and require all of us to register every single sUAV with a unique "N" number, under the current 47-17 policy. Some full scale pilots have a hard time remembering a six character registration number. Just wait until we have a 12+ character registration numbers ("Atlanta Tower, November seven six five six delta echo four delta charlie seven sierra seven golf ready for takeoff.")

Truth be told, I am going to have a hard time complaining if I have to pay $5, one time in my life, to get the &#%#@ registration number. I am paying the AMA $75 per year (nearly $3,000 by the time I die, assuming average American life expectancy, and no dues increases) to use my AMA number on my aircraft. All of the sudden, $5 seems like a bargain.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:41 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

looks good and well thought out.
unlike the poorly worded and not exactly fact checked response the AMA let out.

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Is the sort of grownup response you would rather have seen from an organization that purports to represent you?

"New York, November 23, 2015 – DJI, the world leader in drone technology, has concluded its participation on the Federal Aviation Administration Unmanned Aircraft Systems Registration Task Force. The report of the Task Force was released to the public today.
We share the concerns of many of the 4,700 people who filed comments that this process was initiated in response to sensational headlines rather than data-based risk assessments, and contradicts the provisions of several federal statutes. Nonetheless, we undertook in good faith the assignment, which was not to argue the law, but to use our expertise and knowledge as the world’s largest drone manufacturer to recommend to the Administrator a national drone registration system intended to be minimally burdensome to consumers and professionals, and effective at the stated goals.
The result is a recommended registration system that, if it were to become a legal mandate, reflects weeks of respectful dialog, genuine compromise, and a balancing of interests among the participants. While several aspects of the report might be of concern to one group or another, and remain so to DJI, we believe in the reasonable approach to accountability that is reflected in the package of recommendations sent to the Administrator.
We hope that the work of the Task Force serves as a model for how to develop innovative and practical regulatory solutions to the issues raised by small unmanned aircraft systems. One thing this process has established is that new participants in this industry, working together with traditional stakeholders, can accomplish more, and more quickly, than past approaches. This fast-moving technology demands that we do things in new ways. We hope to have the opportunity to work with the FAA and other agencies again soon."

Old 11-26-2015, 05:21 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by mongo
And you know what's even more disappointing about the AMA's response? They're using our money to pay a PR firm that helps them write that garbage.

Last edited by franklin_m; 11-26-2015 at 05:27 AM.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:46 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Yes. It's much more professional. I just don't get why AMA made such a public spectacle about not being able to file a dissenting opinion. It gains them nothing and just looks bad in my opinion.
Agree. Held up side by side, the more polished response is evident. I suspect the AMA's did not go through a PR person. Perhaps they wanted to show the membership they were in there fighting the good fight and didn't get what the wanted, but there was a better way to do that.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:48 AM
rcmiket

And you know what's even more disappointing about the AMA's response? They're using our money to pay a PR firm that helps them write that garbage.
Sad isn't it? I'm disappointed and rightly so.
Mike
Old 11-26-2015, 06:35 AM
franklin_m

Agree. Held up side by side, the more polished response is evident. I suspect the AMA's did not go through a PR person. Perhaps they wanted to show the membership they were in there fighting the good fight and didn't get what the wanted, but there was a better way to do that.
That's troubling in and of itself, given they're using our money to pay for a PR firm, "TACTIC". So if they're not using them, that's bad enough. If they did put this through them, then we're not getting much for our money.

From Oct 2014 EC: "MOTION III: It was moved by L. Tougas (X) and seconded by R. Cameron (VI) to engage TACTIC as AMA’s PR firm. MOTION passed unanimously."

http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutam...ecmotions.aspx
Old 11-26-2015, 07:03 AM
porcia83
Banned

That's troubling in and of itself, given they're using our money to pay for a PR firm, "TACTIC". So if they're not using them, that's bad enough. If they did put this through them, then we're not getting much for our money.

From Oct 2014 EC: "MOTION III: It was moved by L. Tougas (X) and seconded by R. Cameron (VI) to engage TACTIC as AMA’s PR firm. MOTION passed unanimously."

http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutam...ecmotions.aspx
In typical fashion...the are criticized no matter what they do. I'm sure the collective hive here would have done everything perfectly!
Old 11-26-2015, 07:05 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If you deal with just the facts, the plain and simple truth, zero double talk, no mumbo-jumbo, no jibber-jabber and keep your motivation pure, you shouldn't have to hire the rodent-like, Orwellian PR Folk to deliver your message.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:11 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by combatpigg
If you deal with just the facts, the plain and simple truth, zero double talk, no mumbo-jumbo, no jibber-jabber and keep your motivation pure, you shouldn't have to hire the rodent-like, Orwellian PR Folk to deliver your message.
Like they did in the good old days right? It's not 1950 anymore. In general PR firms don't actually deliver the message, they help the organization in crafting the message, and ensuring the message is heard.

Regardless, perhaps the AMA can save the money on the PR firm and come here to get all the solutions to the problems. Usually a great plethora of ideas and suggestions, unfortunately it's always after the fact.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:13 AM
Lamoilleriver

It's our money (ie. tax dollars) the FAA is spending to come up with such garbage. Money is coming out of our pockets twice, once to promote(FAA) law and regulations and again to fight(AMA) laws and regulations, in safeties name for a process which will do diiddly-squat in increasing safety. ...and they wonder why I beat my head against a tree.

Happy Thanksgiving folks!!!
Old 11-26-2015, 07:15 AM
franklin_m

In typical fashion...the are criticized no matter what they do. I'm sure the collective hive here would have done everything perfectly!
This isn't a "participation trophy" matter. The AMA is a multi-million dollar business (albeit non-profit), but they're spending a lot of other people's money to achieve a result. If they're paying for a PR firm that's putting that kind of garbage, they need to fire them and get someone more professional. If they didn't use the PR firm, then they need to develop some organizational discipline among the senior leaders to not put out stuff like that without contacting the PR firm to help with the language.

You said it was less polished than the other...why is that ok if we're paying a PR firm? This is the sort of thing a PR firm is supposed to be good at! It's just like a non-profit paying a professional to do the landscaping at their facility. If they do crappy work, do they continue to get the work or does the NP change landscaping companies? This was a less than professional PR release, how long will AMA continue to pay this firm?

Last edited by franklin_m; 11-26-2015 at 07:20 AM. Reason: removed some repetive language
Old 11-26-2015, 07:21 AM
franklin_m

Like they did in the good old days right? It's not 1950 anymore. In general PR firms don't actually deliver the message, they help the organization in crafting the message, and ensuring the message is heard.

Regardless, perhaps the AMA can save the money on the PR firm and come here to get all the solutions to the problems. Usually a great plethora of ideas and suggestions, unfortunately it's always after the fact.
I've got a novel idea...how about the AMA survey membership before they act?
Old 11-26-2015, 07:24 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

What do U expect, we all have 20-20 Hind sight, and are never wrong either ... LOL
Old 11-26-2015, 07:26 AM
rcmiket

to achieve a result.
That is the bottom line. Spending is easy but if you don't hold them accountable how can you expect results?

Mike
Old 11-26-2015, 07:31 AM
porcia83
Banned

porcia83, this isn't a "participation trophy" matter. The AMA is a multi-million dollar business (albeit non-profit), but they're spending a lot of other people's money to achieve a result. If they're paying for a PR firm that's putting that kind of garbage, they need to fire them and get someone more professional. If they didn't use the PR firm, then they need to develop some organizational discipline among the senior leaders to not put out stuff like that without contacting the PR firm to help with the language. You yourself said it was less polished than the other...why is that ok if we're paying a PR firm? It's just like a non-profit paying a professional to do the landscaping at their facility. If they do crappy work, how long will you continue to pay them? Same here. This is a less than professional PR release, how long will AMA continue to pay this firm?
You automatically presume the PR firm had a part in the release, yet there is nothing to indicate they did. Hiring a PR firm doesn't mean they have a say in everything that happens, every release issued etc. It's just another chance for you to continue the anti AMA narrative. Yes, it was a poorly written release, no doubt. Oddly enough to another posters point, it didn't have the double talk mumbo jumbo jibber jabber legal talk BS that one would come to expect from a PR firm. DJI, the multi billion dollar companies was better...go figure? The AMA's was honest, straight to the point, and expressed frustration and not getting everything they wanted.

How long will they continue to use a PR firm, or that particular one...who knows, probably as long as they want, that's their prerogative. As has been mentioned previously, if you don't like it, do something more proactive about it rather than whining in a RCU thread. Is anyone under the impression doing that is going to make any difference, affect any change? Gosh it's real easy to second guess absolutely everything they do after the fact, but I can't help but wonder what all of these folks who have EVERY answer and every possible solution have done along the way , other than to complain after the fact. Chances are, absolutely nothing.

Looking forward to seeing what the new VP in Texas will be doing to make a meaningful change in the AMA going forward. Change is good right?
Old 11-26-2015, 07:31 AM
rcmiket

I'm still wondering where the results of the last survey are.

Mike
Old 11-26-2015, 07:34 AM
rcmiket

You automatically presume the PR firm had a part in the release, yet there is nothing to indicate they did. Hiring a PR firm doesn't mean they have a say in everything that happens, every release issued etc. It's just another chance for you to continue the anti AMA narrative. Yes, it was a poorly written release, no doubt. Oddly enough to another posters point, it didn't have the double talk mumbo jumbo jibber jabber legal talk BS that one would come to expect from a PR firm. DJI, the multi billion dollar companies was better...go figure? The AMA's was honest, straight to the point, and expressed frustration and not getting everything they wanted.

How long will they continue to use a PR firm, or that particular one...who knows, probably as long as they want, that's their prerogative. As has been mentioned previously, if you don't like it, do something more proactive about it rather than whining in a RCU thread. Is anyone under the impression doing that is going to make any difference, affect any change? Gosh it's real easy to second guess absolutely everything they do after the fact, but I can't help but wonder what all of these folks who have EVERY answer and every possible solution have done along the way , other than to complain after the fact. Chances are, absolutely nothing.

Looking forward to seeing what the new VP in Texas will be doing to make a meaningful change in the AMA going forward. Change is good right?
Excellent business plan. Hire a PR firm and don't use them. Then you wonder why I'm not happy with "the management"

Mike
Old 11-26-2015, 07:34 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by mongo
If this was AMA's response and AMA's was DJI's you or some would say thee AMA is too soft and still put up DJI's as an example.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:45 AM
porcia83
Banned

You can't be that naive can you be? A novel idea? more like a recipe for disaster. Talk about gridlock. Absolute insanity, and ironically would probably lead to more problems that you would no doubt complain about. The leaders have not been elected so that they then have to turn around and poll the membership every time they want to do something. They are well aware of what's going on with the membership, they have AVP, and VPs who share that information with them. How to the AVP and VPs know...well, people talk with them. And write them. Since you brought up the example of the AMA being run like a business, does the company you work for currently poll the employees to ask about continued operations? Think the powers that be at Walmart or Target or say, GM, ask their associates? When you were active duty, did your CO usually send out feelers on future operations?

Who gets to decide what issues get to be thrown out there for survey? Are the questions in this survey a yes or no, or do they solicit individual ideas and suggestions. If so, who tabulates and digests these suggestions. Oh wait, a vendor? Ugh...more money wasted! Hey, what if there are 187000 surveys sent out and 130,000 are returned with different ideas, who gets to go through that?

If you really want to get to have a say in what goes on, and get some voting rights, become a leader member, at least you'll get to vote on bylaw issues. If you want to have a say in whats going on now and in the future, do something more meaningful than sticking with the current AMA bad routine. Don't get me wrong, it's always great to have a gadfly in the mix, they can help things stay honest and bring up select issues that other might have missed, but the non stop drum beating does nothing. If you continue to try to get involved and find your message is not being heard, you need to have a modicum of self awareness to realize, it might just be you, and the way you communicate. See Hoss's campaign for VP as 1st item of evidence. Yes yes, two shills were the reason for that failure I know. But, lessons can still be learned from that.

Last edited by porcia83; 11-26-2015 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:45 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I'm still wondering where the results of the last survey are.

Mike
Ask you new VP...see how responsive he is.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:46 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
What do U expect, we all have 20-20 Hind sight, and are never wrong either ... LOL

I need to get a new prescription then. Happy T-day dude!
Old 11-26-2015, 07:48 AM
rcmiket

If this was AMA's response and AMA's was DJI's you or some would say thee AMA is too soft and still put up DJI's as an example.

Since this was such a big deal and they were speaking for 180,000 members seems like while the statement itself would not have changed a thing it could have been more professional.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.