Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 07:22 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Porcia and Crispy hanging out at the field together............

Regards,

Astro
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ostrich.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	2133190  
Old 11-30-2015, 07:27 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Better watch yourself, keep posting like this and your moral character will be called into question and someone will NOT want to fly with you.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:48 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by astrohog
Porcia and Crispy hanging out at the field together............

Regards,

Astro

No doubt we would be having a blast, enjoying the weather and doing some flying. I've extended an invite to him if he ever gets to the great Northeast....you're still on the guest list Astro! Got 3 days in this past long weekend, very few great weather days left. Time to go indoors.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:36 AM
jatoRC

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Some fields just don't accommodate choppers of any kind and that is their call.

Your "Drone" ceases to be a drone once you ditch the camera and other non-essential gear so that you can enjoy flying it manually as a quadcopter [or whatever it is].
My local field has a airstrip for planes and a section for helis, but they don't allow "drones". You say it ceases to be a drone if I remove the camera and other gear? One of my helis has a NAZA-H (DJI) controller with GPS, when I put a camera on it, it's a drone. But because it has 2 rotors and not 4 or more it deemed acceptable. Why is that?

Last edited by jatoRC; 11-30-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:41 AM
Sport_Pilot

How do we know why or what is acceptable at different clubs? IMO I see no reason to bar MR models. only the autonomous models should be banned, unless operated with the required commercial license. But then any club can allow or ban anything they want as it is a private club and free to associate with whomever or allow whatever they want. In that light they could ban anybody wearing clothes.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 11-30-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:19 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jatoRC
My local field has a airstrip for planes and a section for helis, but they don't allow "drones". You say it ceases to be a drone if I remove the camera and other gear? One of my helis has a NAZA-H (DJI) controller with GPS, when I put a camera on it, it's a drone. But because it has 2 rotors and not 4 or more it deemed acceptable. Why is that?
If I showed up at your field with a quad rigged to be flown just like any old fashion RC copter, I would either convince them they should allow it or they would have to explain why it can't be flown there.
There might be a rule in place that bans ALL quads regardless of how it is equipped. This sort of "kill them all" type ban makes it easy for them to enforce with no need to discriminate between how the quads are equipped to be flown. Just Say No........
I quit one club years ago over a matter like this and never looked back.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:04 PM
jatoRC

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
How do we know why or what is acceptable at different clubs? IMO I see no reason to bar MR models. only the autonomous models should be banned, unless operated with the required commercial license. But then any club can allow or ban anything they want as it is a private club and free to associate with whomever or allow whatever they want. In that light they could ban anybody wearing clothes.
Just curious why should the autonomous models be banned (ones with GPS, self leveling, etc). Why can't they fly there? If they aren't allow to fly at local fields then people have no right complaining when they are flown elsewhere.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:49 PM
cj_rumley

Just curious why should the autonomous models be banned (ones with GPS, self leveling, etc). Why can't they fly there? If they aren't allow to fly at local fields then people have no right complaining when they are flown elsewhere.
Not banned by AMA or FAA, not an AMA or FAA issue. Some clubs allow models such as your DJI Phantom to fly at a club site and some don't. Your Q should be addressed to the rule makers at your club; no one here can read their minds and give you an answer that is more than a WAG. Nobody outside of your club (and local external forces like conditions made by the landlord and local ordinances) have any say in what can be flown there, so only you have anything to complain about.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:57 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

If they aren't allow to fly at local fields then people have no right complaining when they are flown elsewhere.
Good point.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:59 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Is your name on the list?
I'd have been more than happy to add mine.

Mike
Old 11-30-2015, 02:11 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket

Mike
Me Too .....
Old 11-30-2015, 02:43 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Mike
I'm surprised more forum members weren't asked to participate, seems strange. I wonder if the AMA has responded. I know they've been pretty busy bringing on the new MultiGP SIG.

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/med...nterest-group/
Old 11-30-2015, 03:33 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

I'm surprised more forum members weren't asked to participate, seems strange. I wonder if the AMA has responded. I know they've been pretty busy bringing on the new MultiGP SIG.

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/med...nterest-group/
Yup, the letter begs more questions every time I read it. At this point I wonder if the AMA even has it. No info on if and when it was sent, or how it was sent. The group doesn't seem to have a spokesperson, and didn't really ask for nor indicate a desire for dialog, they just released a statement of opinion. Wouldn't it have been a better idea to designate a spokesperson or at least a contact person for further discussion. Maybe take some time to get more than 14 signatures too. Some of them have spoken here about all of the people they have been in touch with through their business contacts, why not enlist them. How about starting a thread here or at RCG and asking for support. Better yet, are they not familiar with Change.org. Then again, maybe that was to much work, or perhaps they might have thought it wouldn't get the traction they hoped for. Who knows, it would be nice to have someone on that list here to explain those things. Maybe it was just easier to have someone who was "in" on the letter, and signed it..leak it here (in multiple threads). Some of these things are just basic grassroots organization issues 101.

Good news on the new SIG though....I recall forecasting that coming around a while back. Currently at 4,000 members...potential members for the AMA.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:12 PM
TN RC Flyer117

Forgive me if this was answered in the previous 80 pages, but how are these regulations even going to be enforced? Are we going to start having FAA examiners from the local FSDO sitting around the flying field on Saturday making sure everybody is registered? Are we going to start getting ramp checked by the FAA with our model airplanes just like full scale? I am afraid this simple registration is only the beginning.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:32 PM
TimJ

Multi-Rotors shouldn't be banned. Being accepting of them at the local field is the right thing to do. If they don't fly at an AMA field, they will be flying in your neighborhood looking through your windows, being shot at from the uneducated, getting people into needless problems.

Remember, the issue is the Multi-Rotor crowd that decides that flying anywhere they choose are the people who are causing us the problem.

If you want to ban their use, then prohibit them from flying outside of an AMA field. No AMA field, no Section 333 equals to you being prohibited to fly......................LOL.... opcorn:
Old 11-30-2015, 04:35 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by Muff3n
Forgive me if this was answered in the previous 80 pages, but how are these regulations even going to be enforced? Are we going to start having FAA examiners from the local FSDO sitting around the flying field on Saturday making sure everybody is registered? Are we going to start getting ramp checked by the FAA with our model airplanes just like full scale? I am afraid this simple registration is only the beginning.
Enforcement will be like a drivers license......Sure one can technically drive without one. But if you do something stupid, someone will be all over you. When this happens, you damn well better have your paperwork in line. If not, then you are screwed financially.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:47 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Yup, the letter begs more questions every time I read it. At this point I wonder if the AMA even has it. No info on if and when it was sent, or how it was sent. The group doesn't seem to have a spokesperson, and didn't really ask for nor indicate a desire for dialog, they just released a statement of opinion. Wouldn't it have been a better idea to designate a spokesperson or at least a contact person for further discussion. Maybe take some time to get more than 14 signatures too. Some of them have spoken here about all of the people they have been in touch with through their business contacts, why not enlist them. How about starting a thread here or at RCG and asking for support. Better yet, are they not familiar with Change.org. Then again, maybe that was to much work, or perhaps they might have thought it wouldn't get the traction they hoped for. Who knows, it would be nice to have someone on that list here to explain those things. Maybe it was just easier to have someone who was "in" on the letter, and signed it..leak it here (in multiple threads). Some of these things are just basic grassroots organization issues 101.

Good news on the new SIG though....I recall forecasting that coming around a while back. Currently at 4,000 members...potential members for the AMA.
I'm surprised the new incoming district VIII VP, Lawrence Harville, wasn't included in the distribution as the election results were published prior to the date on the letter. He seems like he would champion their efforts.

Also, looking at a few (admittedly, I did not check all) of the corporate websites for those who signed the letter I did not see any reference to their efforts on their websites. I don't know if it's intentional realizing these views can be bad for business or just something they haven't gotten around to doing yet, although due to the importance of this time sensitive information I find that hard to believe. Seems like if support is what they're after, and we know there's strength in numbers, their corporate websites may be their best starting point to get the word out.

Lastly, considering none of the folks here were invited to sign the letter and none of the AMA SIGs signed the letter I can't help but notice some fixed-wing elitist overtones resonating from the letter.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:12 PM
rcmiket

I'm surprised the new incoming district VIII VP, Lawrence Harville, wasn't included in the distribution as the election results were published prior to the date on the letter. He seems like he would champion their efforts.

Also, looking at a few (admittedly, I did not check all) of the corporate websites for those who signed the letter I did not see any reference to their efforts on their websites. I don't know if it's intentional realizing these views can be bad for business or just something they haven't gotten around to doing yet, although due to the importance of this time sensitive information I find that hard to believe. Seems like if support is what they're after, and we know there's strength in numbers, their corporate websites may be their best starting point to get the word out.

Lastly, considering none of the folks here were invited to sign the letter and none of the AMA SIGs signed the letter I can't help but notice some fixed-wing elitist overtones resonating from the letter.
Do your arms hurt from constantly patting one another on the back?

Mike
Old 11-30-2015, 07:56 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Do your arms hurt from constantly patting one another on the back?

Mike
This letter really has them all worked into a lather...!
It's like that scene in 2001 Space Odyssey when the Black Monolith first appeared...!

Ooook...ooook..oooook...eeeek...eeeeek..eeeeek....
SCREEEEEEECH...!!!

Last edited by combatpigg; 11-30-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:26 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by TimJ
Enforcement will be like a drivers license......Sure one can technically drive without one. But if you do something stupid, someone will be all over you. When this happens, you damn well better have your paperwork in line. If not, then you are screwed financially.
Yes but with a car the driver is in the CAR! Not so with a drone! So they will confiscate the drone but will have no idea who flew it.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 12-01-2015 at 04:58 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:31 AM
rcmiket

Just got my new issue of Model Drone Aviation.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1463.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	2133395  
Old 12-01-2015, 04:47 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

He has been attending most all of the quad racing events this year and wants to advance that part of the hobby.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:54 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
He has been attending most all of the quad racing events this year and wants to advance that part of the hobby.
Aren't the "quad racing" guys already AMA members? Thought we were after those who were not?

"The only credential we require is an Academy of Model Aeronautics Membership (AMA) to ensure you and your fellow pilots have a mutual respect for safety. For more information on how to obtain an Academy of Model Aeronautics Membership, click HERE."

http://www.multigp.com/page/about

Mike
Old 12-01-2015, 05:01 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Most of the ones I know are . The racing quads should not be included in this debate...in my opinion.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:22 AM
rcmiket

Most of the ones I know are . The racing quads should not be included in this debate...in my opinion.
You brought up the fact that Brown has been attending most all the event's. I just mentioned that those at those events are already AMA members. Now you post racing quads should not be included in this debate. I'm confused.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.