Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 10:34 AM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AMA Reacts to DOT UAS Registration Rule

MUNCIE, Ind. – Dave Mathewson, executive director of the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) which is the world’s largest community-based organization, today made the following statement on the Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) rule for small unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) registration:
“AMA is disappointed with the new rule for UAS registration. As a member of the task force that helped develop recommendations for this rule, AMA argued that registration makes sense at some level and for UAS flyers operating outside the guidance of a community-based organization or flying for commercial purposes. Unfortunately, the new rule is counter to Congress’s intent in the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and makes the registration process an unnecessary burden for our more than 185,000 members who have been operating safely for decades.
“The Special Rule for Model Aircraft in the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 clearly states that the FAA is prohibited from promulgating any new rules for recreational users operating within the safety guidelines of a community-based organization (CBO). Meanwhile, the FAA’s contention that model aircraft should be considered aircraft is currently the subject of pending litigation. Congress by no means intended to grant a free pass to flyers within this system. Instead, it left risk mitigation and the development of appropriate safety guidelines to organizations like AMA.
“AMA’s eighty years of experience demonstrates that this voluntary, community-based approach to managing recreational flyers is highly effective. Our members follow a comprehensive set of safety and privacy guidelines, which are constantly evolving to accommodate new technologies and new modeling disciplines.
“At the same time, AMA understands that new legions of flyers need to be educated on how to fly safely and responsibly. That’s why AMA has been working closely with the FAA and the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International (AUVSI) on the Know Before You Fly campaign. Education programs like these are one of the best ways to ensure the safety of our airspace.”
# # #
Background on the FAA Interpretative Rule of Section 336
On June 23, 2014, the FAA released its “Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft,” (referred to as the “Interpretive Rule”), which imposed new restrictions on the use of model aircraft in direct contradiction to Section 336 and against the intent of Congress. The Interpretive Rule expands the definition of aircraft to include model aircraft, with which AMA disagrees. AMA has filed a petition to overturn the Interpretive Rule, which is still the subject of pending litigation.
About AMA
The Academy of Model Aeronautics, founded in 1936, continues to be devoted to national airspace safety. It serves as the nation’s collective voice for approximately 185,000 modelers in 2,400 clubs in the United States and Puerto Rico. Headquartered in Muncie, Indiana, AMA is a membership organization representing those who fly model aircraft for recreation and educational purposes. For more information, visit www.modelaircraft.org.

The above is from AMA http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...stration-rule/
Old 12-14-2015, 11:13 AM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Tim: what do you make of this? http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...t_registry/UA/
Old 12-14-2015, 11:29 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
The IT left hand doesn't know what the regulatory right hand is doing. Or the regulatory right hand doesn't even know it has a web page already, they're out creating the new one to match today's edicts.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:29 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couldn't help but notice FAA mentioned comments that originated in a "form letter" or "form letter campaign" five times, and I also notice that it appears those same comments were resoundingly rejected.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:45 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaguen...onal_vagueness
Old 12-14-2015, 11:48 AM
mandude3287

sooner or later we will have to register to have sex, after all that leads to a person being born that could go into the world and do bad things.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:48 AM
dingo9882

Here it is guys.....It happened. We now must register our aircraft and put it on our planes. Sorry if this was posted already. http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releas...9856&cid=TW378
Old 12-14-2015, 11:53 AM
rcollector

Originally Posted by mandude3287
sooner or later we will have to register to have sex, after all that leads to a person being born that could go into the world and do bad things.
Feels like that's about the only thing their not regulating yet. I mean the sex part. They are regulating behavior during pregnancy and how you raise the child....
Old 12-14-2015, 12:02 PM
mandude3287

united state v. causby - majority justice wrote this

"if the landowner is to have full enjoyment of the land, he must have exclusive control of the immediate reaches of the enveloping atmosphere. Otherwise buildings could not be erected, trees could not be planted, and even fences could not be run" . . . Thus, a landowner "owns at least as much of the space above the ground as he can occupy or use in connection with the land," and invasions of that airspace "are in the same category as invasions of the surface."[SUP][1][/SUP]

The majority opinion cited the law (49 U.S.C. § 180) where Congress defined the "navigable airspace" in the public domain, as that above the "minimum safe altitude" which varies from 500 to 1000 feet depending on time of day, aircraft, and type of terrain. Since the aircraft passing over Causby's property were at 83 feet, the court determined the flight path was an easement, a form of property right. Because the government had taken the easement through private property, Causby was owed compensation under the Takings Clause.

Just let some fed show up on my property and tell me I have to register to fly my foamie!

Last edited by mandude3287; 12-14-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:24 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Couldn't help but notice FAA mentioned comments that originated in a "form letter" or "form letter campaign" five times, and I also notice that it appears those same comments were resoundingly rejected.
Where is this mentioned?
Old 12-14-2015, 12:42 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Where is this mentioned?
I did word search for "form letter" and noted that it appeared five times (pgs 56, 90, 105, 124, & 150).

On pg 56 it referred contention that only sUAS with specific capability should be registered. Result: REJECTED
On pg 90 said that exiting use of AMA number should suffice as alternative. Result: REJECTED
On pg 105 statement that imposition of fee would be burden and be a barrier to education. Result: REJECTED
On pg 124 there was no way to define component on models that could be registered. Result: REJECTED
On pg 150 contention that registration would have no effect on rogue operators. Result: REJECTED

Perhaps some will have heartburn over my use of "REJECTED," in which case substitute "Not adopted."

Last edited by franklin_m; 12-14-2015 at 01:08 PM. Reason: added "t" in "Not"
Old 12-14-2015, 12:51 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
Old stuff. The new rules came out today but this part of the web site has not been updated.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:54 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Where is this mentioned?
In the document you failed to read but like to comment on.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:02 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If the AMA had shunned Drone Activities right from the Get Go, that would have put some teeth into the latest objections that they have filed.
The AMA will NEVER be able to say with pride that "We did EVERYTHING we possibly could to protect our membership from Federal Regulations".
Old 12-14-2015, 01:03 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by rgburrill
In the document you failed to read but like to comment on.
So in other words, you don't really know, have no reference number and no link. Par for the course.

Astro says:

Originally Posted by astrohog
Either clarify and back up your statements with substance, or try and refrain from posting.

Thank-You.

Astro
Old 12-14-2015, 01:06 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I did word search for "form letter" and noted that it appeared five times (pgs 56, 90, 105, 124, & 150).

On pg 56 it referred contention that only sUAS with specific capability should be registered. Result: REJECTED
On pg 90 said that exiting use of AMA number should suffice as alternative. Result: REJECTED
On pg 105 statement that imposition of fee would be burden and be a barrier to education. Result: REJECTED
On pg 124 there was no way to define component on models that could be registered. Result: REJECTED
On pg 150 contention that registration would have no effect on rogue operators. Result: REJECTED

Perhaps some will have heartburn over my use of "REJECTED," in which case substitute "No adopted."
It is what it is.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:07 PM
franklin_m

It is what it is.
It is what it is...is that code for "swing and miss" x 5?
Old 12-14-2015, 01:14 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

It is what it is...is that code for "swing and miss" x 5?
Did you really think either side was going to get everything they wanted? I'd rather have a license myself.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:22 PM
franklin_m

Did you really think either side was going to get everything they wanted? I'd rather have a license myself.
In all honesty, so would I.

Moving forward, given that we're already suing FAA, I don't think the AMA will earn any good will if they do anything but fully embrace and support this rule. Given that FAA has the authority to recognize (or not) organizations as CBOs, I can't see how the FAA would formally recognize AMA as a CBO when AMA isn't actively and fully supporting FAA rules.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:31 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by TimJ
Well.....here it is.......https://www.faa.gov/news/press_relea...m?newsId=19856

Time to register your junk.........http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/ ..............
Think I'll Use Yours or just fake one from some one else's ... Any time i bought a plane I left the previous owners name address phone number and AMA number in it anyway. Trouble with that, if U buy it on RCU there is a record so most times I agree to buy in person and cash no trail. Buy guns that way too. OOPS here come the Black Helicopters again...gotta run.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:46 PM
cj_rumley

Moving forward, given that we're already suing FAA, I don't think the AMA will earn any good will if they do anything but fully embrace and support this rule. Given that FAA has the authority to recognize (or not) organizations as CBOs, I can't see how the FAA would formally recognize AMA as a CBO when AMA isn't actively and fully supporting FAA rules.
CBO, in context, is a euphemism for AMA monopoly. Everybody knows that except for some congress critters that didn't realize they were granting a concession to a sole-source provider. I bet a lot of them know it now..........and AMA lobbying for the next round of FAA Re-authorization won't be the cake walk it was on the first shot. I'm looking forward especially to seeing the response to the item on AMA's agenda that would require that they be recognized as a CBO.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:51 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by rcollector
Feels like that's about the only thing their not regulating yet. I mean the sex part. They are regulating behavior during pregnancy and how you raise the child....

Eight Levels of Control

THE BEST SLAVE IS ONE WHO THINKS HE IS FREE

SaulAlinskydied about 43 years ago, but his writings influenced those in political control of our nation today.......

Died: June 12, 1972, Carmel-by-the-Sea, Ca

Education: University of Chicago

Spouse: Irene Alinsky

Books: Rules for Radicals, Reveille for Radicals

Anyone out there think that this stuff isn't happening today in the U.S.? All eight rules are currently in play.

How to create a social state by Saul Alinsky: There are eight levels of control that must be obtained before you are able to create a social state. The first is the most important.

1) Healthcare– Control healthcare and you control the people.

2) Poverty – Increase the Poverty level as high as possible, poor people are easier to control and will not fight back if you are providing everything for them to live.

3) Debt – Increase the debt to an unsustainable level. That way you are able to increase taxes, and this will produce more poverty.

4) Gun Control– Remove the ability to defend themselves from the Government. That way you are able to create a police state.

5) Welfare – Take control of every aspect of their lives (Food, Housing, and Income)

6) Education – Take control of what people read and listen to – take control of what children learn in school.

7) Religion – Remove the belief in the God from the Government and schools

8) Class Warfare – Divide the people into the wealthy and the poor. This will cause more discontent and it will be easier to take (Tax) the wealthy with the support of the poor.

9)
Register all pilots that fly any TOY s in the NAS.

Does any of this sound like what is happening to the United States? Alinskymerely simplified Vladimir Lenin's original scheme for world conquest by communism, under Russian rule.

Stalin described his converts as "Useful Idiots." The Useful Idiots have destroyed every nation in which they have seized power and control. It is presently happening at an alarming rate in the U.S. If people can read this and still say everything is just fine…they are “useful idiots.

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere."

Last edited by HoundDog; 12-14-2015 at 01:53 PM. Reason: add # 9
Old 12-14-2015, 01:53 PM
rcollector

It's kind of confusing. I mean if I pay my 5 bucks to sign up for this obamadrone program and I can't afford one will I be fined or will they send me a free drone. I mean I crashed my foamie and can't afford a new one right now. I know the law requires I have a drone but damn I am poor. I don't want the IRS to put me in jail......Or would that be the FAA or the dot that I would be in trouble with???
Old 12-14-2015, 02:07 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Think I'll Use Yours or just fake one from some one else's ...
BAHAHAH! awesome. Just use Air Force One. LOL!!!
Old 12-14-2015, 02:08 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
CBO, in context, is a euphemism for AMA monopoly. Everybody knows that except for some congress critters that didn't realize they were granting a concession to a sole-source provider. I bet a lot of them know it now..........and AMA lobbying for the next round of FAA Re-authorization won't be the cake walk it was on the first shot. I'm looking forward especially to seeing the response to the item on AMA's agenda that would require that they be recognized as a CBO.
If U don't get it by now U never will Just like the IRS the FAA/DOT/NTSB is the Legislator. Judge, Jury, and Executioner. They Make the rules they enforce the rules, they decide who broke the rules, and then they Punish the Rule breaker they found guilty. NOW isn't that a very easy Concept to understand. Almost exactly like the AMA claiming to be the sole CBO. They Make the Rules (Safety Code), Loosely Enforce it, They decide if U broke a rule, Then they Punish by denying Insurance to the rule (Safety Code) breaker.
Then they require U to have your AMA number in your TOY but instead of $5 for 3 years they charge from nothing to $75 per year for the privilege to fly at your own field U paid/Pay to own rent Keep up.

Can't win for loosing. But it's the Only GIG in town so now if U don't comply U can end up paying a steep fine and possibly Jail time. Think I'd rather have the AMA in charge they can't put U in Jail or fine U, Just denie U.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.