Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Yes or No , Do you think the AMA was right or wrong to embrace DRONES ?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Was it a mistake or not for the AMA to embrace drones ?
Yes
77.25%
No
22.75%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Yes or No , Do you think the AMA was right or wrong to embrace DRONES ?

Old 12-15-2015, 12:52 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by init4fun
Thank You Franklin , I appreciate the info and I went to USA Today and found the news story you referred to here . I found it interesting that beyond the AMA's expression of displeasure there was a transportation analyst quoted who thinks the FAA ruling hasn't got a chance if challenged in court . Did you notice that part of the story and if so , do you think the gent is correct ?

Sport , I'm not quite sure here what this statement is in regards to ? Those in the FAA know what ? That this is an unneeded burden on model aviation that addresses a "problem" that doesn't exist with us in the first place ? Do you think the FAA felt they had to include everything with a TX so as not to be seen as discriminatory against the drone flyers ?
I mean there are individuals in the FAA who know they are in the wrong. But they do what the boss says.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:57 PM
Sport_Pilot

Well guys , call me all kinds of "Tin Foil Hat" here , but a very interesting thing I noticed is that of the "No" voters , there are several names I've never seen around RCU before . Checking their profiles , I see at least two with zero posts to the forum and a join date sometime in the mid 2000s . One guy even lists himself as not a US resident and still felt the need to vote on something that doesn't affect him ? It's a pretty lame state of affairs when folks are so desperate to push their minority views and have to resort to such transparent BS as I see here .

Now , guys on the "No" side , this is it ! , You chance to attack me since I can't PROVE these are sockpuppet votes , but tell ya what , go look at the profiles of the three "NO" voters whose screen names begin with W and then with a straight face come here and tell me they ain't socks !

Pretty telling that even with sockpuppet votes , the "Yes , it IS a mistake" votes outnumber the "NO it was not a mistake" votes 75% to 25% .

Guess it's time for a few more socks in the mix , eh guys ?
I found the same on the yes votes. It just means there are a lot of lurkers.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:00 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I don't know about ARF ducks, but they have ARTE ducks and other birds!
Almost Ready [To] Fry

I think the rocketeers have to register themselves to get supplies BTW
Old 12-15-2015, 01:01 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerocal
I say that I wonder if you work for a network news outlet. Your making a statement of fact that in reality is not true at all and then asking ppl to vote on it.
It makes no sense.
#1 , Nope , not affiliated with any news outlet , in fact , not affiliated with ANY company , been retired a few years now . Thanks for asking though..

#2 A lot of folks here , 75% in fact , seem to think it IS true . Maybe a perspective problem on your end ?

#3 , Sense is a very subjective commodity here on internet forums . You sense the question to be in error . I don't . Now , since I have yet to see any forced participation here at RCU , I have to wonder why you haven't the sense to find a thread more suitable to your liking than one in which you believe the question is in error ?
Old 12-15-2015, 01:04 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Almost Ready [To] Fry

Some say I look a bit like Col. Sanders and his birds are ready to eat.

Ok I get it about the rocketeer's.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:12 PM
combatpigg

Do you think the FAA felt they had to include everything with a TX so as not to be seen as discriminatory against the drone flyers ?
BINGO..!
The fear of being labeled / charged with discrimination rules the day, even when it makes perfect sense to be discriminatory.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:12 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Almost Ready [To] Fry

Here you go

http://www.nar.org/high-power-rocketry-info/

All the info needed on the not so model rockets. Once a rocket goes above a G motor, you are in a whole different league. I do believe however, rocket motors such as those used by the Mythbusters when they launched a few cars, or sent the the iron of destruction down the rail and obliterated a car, those do require a license to transport, and use.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:22 PM
combatpigg

Well guys , call me all kinds of "Tin Foil Hat" here , but a very interesting thing I noticed is that of the "No" voters , there are several names I've never seen around RCU before . Checking their profiles , I see at least two with zero posts to the forum and a join date sometime in the mid 2000s . One guy even lists himself as not a US resident and still felt the need to vote on something that doesn't affect him ? It's a pretty lame state of affairs when folks are so desperate to push their minority views and have to resort to such transparent BS as I see here .

Now , guys on the "No" side , this is it ! , You chance to attack me since I can't PROVE these are sockpuppet votes , but tell ya what , go look at the profiles of the three "NO" voters whose screen names begin with W and then with a straight face come here and tell me they ain't socks !

Pretty telling that even with sockpuppet votes , the "Yes , it IS a mistake" votes outnumber the "NO it was not a mistake" votes 75% to 25% .

Guess it's time for a few more socks in the mix , eh guys ?
Anyone who is involved with such a wormy, rodent-like maneuver [shill account voting] has no sense of shame.
They're the same ones who would cheat at online Pinochle and feel good about it.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:25 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Anyone who is involved with such a wormy, rodent-like maneuver [shill account voting] has no sense of shame.
They're the same ones who would cheat at online Pinochle and feel good about it.
Pincochle...now that takes me back. The great grandparents played that and cribbage and in between taught my brother and I how to clean fiddleheads.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:29 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just 'think, if these little drones had not been linked with our RC hobby, this would be a non issue right now, thanks AMA, still can distance us from the darn things, Be easier to help pull the knives out of our backs if you did!
Old 12-15-2015, 02:57 PM
franklin_m

Thank You Franklin , I appreciate the info and I went to USA Today and found the news story you referred to here . I found it interesting that beyond the AMA's expression of displeasure there was a transportation analyst quoted who thinks the FAA ruling hasn't got a chance if challenged in court . Did you notice that part of the story and if so , do you think the gent is correct ?
I'm not a lawyer, but given that NTSB has already over-ruled a federal judge and established the FAA has the authority to regulate, I don't see that being re-litigated. So perhaps the only thing they can challenge the rule making process issue. However, given the strong Congressional support for action by FAA, and the FAA building more examples by the day of reasons to act sooner rather than later, then I suspect the judiciary will defer to the experts on determining whether the safety risk justified using the authority to publish before comments.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:10 PM
init4fun

Thank You Franklin , I appreciate your taking the time to answer my post .

PS , I did see your post in the other thread about the AMA and it's present day value to those who made it what it is all these years , and You said it very well ....
Old 12-15-2015, 03:15 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by hairy46
Just 'think, if these little drones had not been linked with our RC hobby, this would be a non issue right now, thanks AMA, still can distance us from the darn things, Be easier to help pull the knives out of our backs if you did!
Well said Hairy , this was the sentiment behind my poll in the first place . I felt there was no way the FAA would regulate drones and leave model aviation alone when the supposedly premier model aircraft association had jumped in bed with the drone ops even before any binding rulemaking had happened ...
Old 12-15-2015, 03:55 PM
108buzz
My Feedback: (14)

I would not have mattered if the AMA embraced them or not. Their (FAA) job is to control and protect the airspace, period.

Last edited by 108buzz; 12-15-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:05 PM
108buzz
My Feedback: (14)

Oh, I see some good deals coming in the classified adds LMAO!
Old 12-15-2015, 04:58 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 108buzz
I would not have mattered if the AMA embraced them or not. Their (FAA) job is to control and protect the airspace, period.
And the AMA has been operating in that same airspace safely for 80 years and NOTHING has changed......well.......until the drones arrived! PERIOD!

Astro
Old 12-15-2015, 06:35 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by astrohog
And the AMA has been operating in that same airspace safely for 80 years and NOTHING has changed......well.......until the drones arrived! PERIOD!

Astro

Yes sir and WE financed the mess with our dues.

Mike
Old 12-15-2015, 07:43 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by 108buzz
Oh, I see some good deals coming in the classified adds LMAO!
nobody will ship though!
Old 12-15-2015, 08:31 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

The only thing is "That Nothing Maters' It's all over but the shouting. As i see it we Dodged a great big bullet. The FAA/DOT could have made everyone pay boko dollars to register every thing U fly. Thank your Lucky stars it's only the pilots/owners name thewant registered. This is so if U crash and anywhere U should not be they know who to look for. Only an Idiot thinks that anyone flying anywhere they should not is going to put their name or Registration on board is delusional.

The FAA doesn't even care about anyone that flies at an AMA field nor do they care about anyone flying Quads Where, When, And How they are supposed to. What they do care are the DROBERS that fly conaty to the AMA's safety code or above the 400' Ceiling or within 5 miles of a towered airport.

Also when have U seen any airliner below or even close to the 400' level farther out than 1.25 miles. Ounce again if U figure a 3 degree glide slope intersects the 400' AGL about 1.25 miles from the runway threshold. and out at the edge of the 5 mile ATA (Air port Traffic Area) In other words flying 5 miles from the center of an airport at 400' you will be more then 600 feet below any landing IFR traffic. And the same for VFR Traffic because they are required to maintain 1000' AGL till in a position to land that's approximately between 1/2 to 1 mile from the runway. Out beyond the 5 mile ATA towers and approach controllers keep IFR traffic and most VFR traffic well above1000' and most of the time farther out than 5 miles at or above the minimum vectoring altitude 25 miles out is close to 3000'AGL depending on terrain.

Again be glad all the FAA wants is for U to register and put that number on what U fly. They don't want to know what U fly.

Last edited by HoundDog; 12-15-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:37 PM
Aerocal

#1 , Nope , not affiliated with any news outlet , in fact , not affiliated with ANY company , been retired a few years now . Thanks for asking though..

#2 A lot of folks here , 75% in fact , seem to think it IS true . Maybe a perspective problem on your end ?

#3 , Sense is a very subjective commodity here on internet forums . You sense the question to be in error . I don't . Now , since I have yet to see any forced participation here at RCU , I have to wonder why you haven't the sense to find a thread more suitable to your liking than one in which you believe the question is in error ?
Im just saying that by your definition of "Drone" the AMA did not "embrace" them as used for BLOS and commercial use. Thats not their mission. So your asking whether or not ppl agree with something that didnt happen. Thats the part I dont understand.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:42 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by wtxrcdog
I think AMA should try to get everyone it can involved in modeling no matter what it involves,planes ,drones, helis, rockets. The more people involved they will be subject to the rules of flying and be taught some sort of responsibility.
Exactly Bravo Finally some one that doesn't hate drones so much it's them blind to the fact that they are here and they are going to out number AMA members and Traditional R/C for a very long time. What we fail to realizes is that the more of us there the better we will be. alala the NRA's power with it's millions of members.
That's the only to keep the wolf at bay. There's power in numbers.

Last edited by HoundDog; 12-15-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:02 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by Aerocal
Im just saying that by your definition of "Drone" the AMA did not "embrace" them as used for BLOS and commercial use. Thats not their mission. So your asking whether or not ppl agree with something that didnt happen. Thats the part I dont understand.
If you go to the AMA website and spend a few minutes reading , you will find that yes , in fact , the AMA is attempting to not only condone #550 FPV , but ALSO BLOS commercial operations . I have read this myself and this is the basis for this thread . Specifically , check out the "STEM" educational partnership whereby the "Next generation of drone pilots" are receiving AMA money to be educated in drone ops . The training specifically mentions "Preparing them for the jobs of the future" , sure sounds commercial to me .

Thank you for asking ....
Old 12-16-2015, 04:22 AM
porcia83
Banned

That is a bit of a leap no? Providing education/vocational training and classes for future jobs in the field I don't think is the same as commercial operations. The AMA derives no profits from this, as such it's not really a "commercial" proposition. Also should be mentioned one of the other core operation of the Academy.....key work there....is to provide all types of education. This is but one facet of that.

I'm late again for duck huntin....darn it.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:58 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I'm not a lawyer, but given that NTSB has already over-ruled a federal judge and established the FAA has the authority to regulate, I don't see that being re-litigated. So perhaps the only thing they can challenge the rule making process issue. However, given the strong Congressional support for action by FAA, and the FAA building more examples by the day of reasons to act sooner rather than later, then I suspect the judiciary will defer to the experts on determining whether the safety risk justified using the authority to publish before comments.
The NTSB administrative judges overruled an NTSB judge. The NTSB only rules on violations of FAR regulation. Their is at least one civil case that is outside of the NTSB that is in part about the definition of airplane. The federal courts trump the NTSB courts on these matters. It will probably be determined in the appellate, but who knows may go to the SCOTUS.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:05 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by HoundDog
The only thing is "That Nothing Maters' It's all over but the shouting. As i see it we Dodged a great big bullet. The FAA/DOT could have made everyone pay boko dollars to register every thing U fly. Thank your Lucky stars it's only the pilots/owners name thewant registered. This is so if U crash and anywhere U should not be they know who to look for. Only an Idiot thinks that anyone flying anywhere they should not is going to put their name or Registration on board is delusional.

The FAA doesn't even care about anyone that flies at an AMA field nor do they care about anyone flying Quads Where, When, And How they are supposed to. What they do care are the DROBERS that fly conaty to the AMA's safety code or above the 400' Ceiling or within 5 miles of a towered airport.

Also when have U seen any airliner below or even close to the 400' level farther out than 1.25 miles. Ounce again if U figure a 3 degree glide slope intersects the 400' AGL about 1.25 miles from the runway threshold. and out at the edge of the 5 mile ATA (Air port Traffic Area) In other words flying 5 miles from the center of an airport at 400' you will be more then 600 feet below any landing IFR traffic. And the same for VFR Traffic because they are required to maintain 1000' AGL till in a position to land that's approximately between 1/2 to 1 mile from the runway. Out beyond the 5 mile ATA towers and approach controllers keep IFR traffic and most VFR traffic well above1000' and most of the time farther out than 5 miles at or above the minimum vectoring altitude 25 miles out is close to 3000'AGL depending on terrain.

Again be glad all the FAA wants is for U to register and put that number on what U fly. They don't want to know what U fly.
I see plenty of planes just above the 500 foot limit, and many are in areas where they should be above 1000. One even below an antennae about a thousand feet away and he should have been well above that. Not airliners mind you but there are people in them and they were at risk. This is well outside the 5 mile limit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.