Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Yes or No , Do you think the AMA was right or wrong to embrace DRONES ?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Was it a mistake or not for the AMA to embrace drones ?
Yes
77.25%
No
22.75%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Yes or No , Do you think the AMA was right or wrong to embrace DRONES ?

Old 12-16-2015, 05:07 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by init4fun
If you go to the AMA website and spend a few minutes reading , you will find that yes , in fact , the AMA is attempting to not only condone #550 FPV , but ALSO BLOS commercial operations . I have read this myself and this is the basis for this thread . Specifically , check out the "STEM" educational partnership whereby the "Next generation of drone pilots" are receiving AMA money to be educated in drone ops . The training specifically mentions "Preparing them for the jobs of the future" , sure sounds commercial to me .

Thank you for asking ....
OK, so you want the AMA to fund these lawsuits themselves? They are partners with others who have as much or more funds for lawyers, so IMO it is smart to support them as well.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:28 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

If the FAA think this will stop someone from using a "drone" in a manner that could cause potential harm to an airliner, well, they are fools. Look how well the anti gun law in Chicago worked. The law simply states, it is illegal to be in possession of a firearm. Yet, how many shootings have there been when this law was in effect.

I for one am not going to register
I for one will continue to fly under the AMA Guidlelines, and until such time that you have to present to go to a Fly in, I will go to Fly ins.

Registering will not make me a safer flyer, I already am one, all it does is puts me on a fly list. Great, another hackable list that will have my information on. No Thanks!

Good luck enforcing this, no LEO will waste his time checking if a RC plane flying at a club field has a registration number.

BTW, when the next AMA ballots come out, vote out whoever is currently there.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:44 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I see plenty of planes just above the 500 foot limit, and many are in areas where they should be above 1000. One even below an antennae about a thousand feet away and he should have been well above that. Not airliners mind you but there are people in them and they were at risk. This is well outside the 5 mile limit.
This should take care of the Low flying pilots:

§ 91.13 Careless or reckless operation.(a) Aircraft operations for the purpose of air navigation. No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:22 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
If the FAA think this will stop someone from using a "drone" in a manner that could cause potential harm to an airliner, well, they are fools. Look how well the anti gun law in Chicago worked. The law simply states, it is illegal to be in possession of a firearm. Yet, how many shootings have there been when this law was in effect.

I for one am not going to register
I for one will continue to fly under the AMA Guidlelines, and until such time that you have to present to go to a Fly in, I will go to Fly ins.

Registering will not make me a safer flyer, I already am one, all it does is puts me on a fly list. Great, another hackable list that will have my information on. No Thanks!

Good luck enforcing this, no LEO will waste his time checking if a RC plane flying at a club field has a registration number.

BTW, when the next AMA ballots come out, vote out whoever is currently there.
Hi acdii ,

My problem with this whole model aircraft registration business is ;

I have read in the FAA document that one of the primary objectives of this rule is to be able to identify the owner of any "UAS" that is involved in illegal activity or causes an accident involving full scale aircraft . . Ok , so on the surface they want the public to think they're gonna be able to identify lawbreakers . Now , these lawbreakers , who happen to break laws , aren't too likely to register their drone any more than they're gonna register their illegal firearms . So , here we are , the ones who follow the rules , with our own pre existing database of 185K or so rule following flyers , and the FAA refuses to accept that . Why ? Well , unfortunately , some of us feel that the FAA don't trust the AMA because after getting our "inhof exemption" the AMA went and gutted the original doc #550 which likely spooked the FAA some . Now , as the only recognized "CBO" , the AMA was gonna have under it's umbrella all these drone flyers that the FAA would have no control over ? No Way ! The FAA ain't being played like that and we have the situation as it exists today . The AMA tried a "power grab" , the FAA over ruled . Done . Now as to enforcement , My guess would be that untill there was some kind of incident , the "FAA police" won't be hiding in every tree looking to see if my P-51 has it's number nice and visible . God forbid anything ever happens the only two numbers that are gonna matter are the FAA registration number and the Lawyer's phone number ! That's when a proper FAA registration had best be in hand cause break one rule prior and now an accident can quickly turn into some ugly criminal charges .
Old 12-16-2015, 06:57 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh...GTF...over it, Duh...Drones are here and will remain here...go back to your Escapements and Free Flight models with Rubber Band Motors...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techno...1&ocid=UE01DHP
Old 12-16-2015, 07:07 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by Prop_Washer2
..Drones are here and will remain here..

Yep , kinda like hemroids , and about as welcome ........
Old 12-16-2015, 08:09 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Oh...GTF...over it, Duh...Drones are here and will remain here...go back to your Escapements and Free Flight models with Rubber Band Motors...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techno...1&ocid=UE01DHP
Spoken like a FDOOA* Shop Steward....!

* Future Drone Operators Of America
Old 12-16-2015, 08:50 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by init4fun
Yep , kinda like hemroids , and about as welcome ........
Init
Is it true Your wife Just bought U a DRONE for Christmas ... Oh Man I hope I didn't let the Drone out of the bag. sorry
Old 12-17-2015, 04:38 AM
rcmiket

"Yep , kinda like hemroids , and about as welcome ........ "

Pretty Funny.

Mike
Old 12-17-2015, 05:36 AM
init4fun

... OP must be an idiot or never went to school...
Originally Posted by 804
.......anyone who can't or won't admit
to the shoddiness of the poll and the question
is either a moron or a liar.
Originally Posted by 804
.........I'd say about 80%
of those responding fit right in
with the Archie Bunker mentality.
Originally Posted by Krumpel
The same drivel posted over and over. Its like the HLN endless pseudo-news garbage cycle in a forum that should be above such stupidity.

And its always the SAME people posting the SAME DRIVEL Then again, the drivel posters prolly LOVE the HLN swill..

So , I figured as we roll on up to close to 500 posts , I'd take a look at some of the personal insults that have pervaded this thread . These that I've quoted , which aren't all of them by far , are examples of the nastiness that this question has brought out in some of the pro drone crowd . You may notice one poster's personal attacks are absent from the list , Sorry Hound , if I re posted all your attacks it would amount to re posting just about each and every post you've made to the thread , and we wouldn't want the massive bandwidth crunch to cripple RCU , now would we ? Fact of the matter no matter HOW hard the pro drone folks try to attack me or discredit the question is that by a large margin people here do think they're should be a healthy separation of model aircraft and drones ! So regardless of which side anyone is on , and since this sure does seem a question that's on a lot of folk's minds , could we please go on from here discussing the subject itself rather than posting the kinds of insults I've quoted above ?
Old 12-17-2015, 05:59 AM
islandflyer

Petition to separate drones from Model Aircraft and AMA went over 100 in about 3 hours....not bad
https://www.change.org/p/ama-members-get-drones-away-from-model-aviation-and-ama
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AMA Petition 3 hours.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	2136197  
Attached Images  
Old 12-17-2015, 06:16 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by islandflyer
Petition to separate drones from Model Aircraft and AMA went over 100 in about 3 hours....not bad
https://www.change.org/p/ama-members-get-drones-away-from-model-aviation-and-ama
I'm not signing because I don't know what they mean by a drone. And doubt the AMA will either. I would if a drone was defined as having GPS.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:23 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not signing because I don't know what they mean by a drone. And doubt the AMA will either. I would if a drone was defined as having GPS.
Please don't sign it if you don't agree. Not everyone will. It's okay, really!

This is just a petition, not a final draft of a Constitutional amendment. (way too early for that!).

Its' only purpose is to show that there may be a significant amount of people that are dissatisfied and are asking for possible reconsideration of the current (and future) rules/regulations.

Regards,

Astro
Old 12-17-2015, 06:46 AM
init4fun

I will sign it because it has become increasingly clear with this new FAA regulation that model aviation is being negatively affected by drone operations . Once this ruling came down it made it crystal clear to me that any device that could permit BLOS flight has become a direct liability to our hobby . I will agree with Sport that the petition should have included a very brief description of what exactly we're looking to separate ourselves from , with the seemingly varied descriptions of the word drone . To Sport , it seems the GPS is the determining factor . To myself , I'd use the far simpler catch all of anything that is equipped fly BLOS is a potential drone , and sadly that does include FPV gear as presently allowed under AMA doc # 550 . The line is too blurry when all a # 550 pilot needs to do is to fly BLOS to turn his # 550 condoned FPV into a drone . Guys , please remember , the distinction between drone and model aircraft is the mission assigned to each , and as such , a model aircraft has no need of either GPS nor camera to carry out it's mission of being a model aircraft .....

I would like to publicly thank Herve for bringing this petition to my attention . Remember Herve , the key to the success of any petition is exposure , the more folks that know the more potential supporters can be gained .
Old 12-17-2015, 07:02 AM
Sport_Pilot

The problem with separating FPV and cameras from this is that FPV was around back in the 90's and consisted of a video camera on your RC. At first just to record, but as soon as you had 2.5 Gb video transmission you had FPV. So FPV has been part of our hobby for a couple of decades or maybe more. I have no problem with FPV used per AMA guidelines.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:09 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by astrohog
Please don't sign it if you don't agree. Not everyone will. It's okay, really!

This is just a petition, not a final draft of a Constitutional amendment. (way too early for that!).

Its' only purpose is to show that there may be a significant amount of people that are dissatisfied and are asking for possible reconsideration of the current (and future) rules/regulations.

Regards,

Astro
+1 If enough sign they will get the message. What's the deal with everyone going nuts over wording lately? First the poll now this.
Don't sign it if you don't agree or write your own. Just to be clear it's not personal just a observation.

Mike
Old 12-17-2015, 07:33 AM
init4fun

The problem with separating FPV and cameras from this is that FPV was around back in the 90's and consisted of a video camera on your RC. At first just to record, but as soon as you had 2.5 Gb video transmission you had FPV. So FPV has been part of our hobby for a couple of decades or maybe more. I have no problem with FPV used per AMA guidelines.
As is the case with other technologies , things that start off innocently enough can evolve into dangerous territory . Once the 2,4 video enabled BLOS it put flying cameras in a position to do our hobby harm such as the registration ruling we have facing us today . Honestly my friend , can you tell me that if flying cameras never existed , the FAA would have bothered to regulate a non existing problem ? AC 91 57 served us well for years and would still be the only FAA word on us had flying cameras not been involved , in my opinion .

Originally Posted by rcmiket
+1 If enough sign they will get the message. What's the deal with everyone going nuts over wording lately? First the poll now this.
Don't sign it if you don't agree or write your own. Just to be clear it's not personal just a observation.

Mike
I agree Mike that there is or should be a very simple defining point ; LOS ability only = model plane , BLOS ability = drone . It really can't get much simpler than that . Before the other day's ruling I was willing to let # 550 FPV stand but now since the AMA has proven unable to protect our rights in light of the blurred line they created with # 550 , it's time to separate out anything that could allow BLOS flight from our model aircraft program .

Bottom line being that flying cameras aren't worth eventually seeing our hobby regulated to death over ....
Old 12-17-2015, 08:03 AM
astrohog

AMA allows FPV with a spotter, WITHIN LOS. I have no problem with this, either BUT how many FPV guys (besides the racers) really want to fly FPV within LOS? I would guess that it is an insignificant minority

Regards,

Astro
Old 12-17-2015, 08:05 AM
Sport_Pilot

Honestly my friend , can you tell me that if flying cameras never existed , the FAA would have bothered to regulate a non existing problem ?
I don't think there is any real problem now! The FAA made up a bunch of phony reports from controllers who were forced to make reports. Yes there are a few incedents making the news but that is small. There is not one mid air yet! The FAA started moving in when they were asked to integrate sUAV and they couldn't stand for the idea that they could not regulate model airplanes. This is about control and money, not safety. It would have happened no matter hos the AMA stood on so called drones.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:10 AM
Sport_Pilot

AMA allows FPV with a spotter, WITHIN LOS. I have no problem with this, either BUT how many FPV guys (besides the racers) really want to fly FPV within LOS? I would guess that it is an insignificant minority

Regards,

Astro
That is all they did back in the 90's. They were big and expensive and the video did not work well much beyond LOS. But I noticed some using FPV MR within LOS just a few weeks ago. I think many do not trust the model or drone coming back safely when BLOS. I believe the same is true outside the field, but even LOS is bad when it is a thousand feet off the approach of a major airport.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:12 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

I don't think there is any real problem now! The FAA made up a bunch of phony reports from controllers who were forced to make reports. Yes there are a few incedents making the news but that is small. There is not one mid air yet! The FAA started moving in when they were asked to integrate sUAV and they couldn't stand for the idea that they could not regulate model airplanes. This is about control and money, not safety. It would have happened no matter hos the AMA stood on so called drones.
Agree with most of that...except that I see that control can have a positive effect on safety. Don't see this as a big power grab for the FAA, i doubt they care less about controlling our planes. They have been around for how many years, if they wanted to control them they could have done it over the past 40 plus years. Nor the money piece..they don't "profit" from this. They respond to congress...who respond to the voters
Old 12-17-2015, 08:32 AM
astrohog

So, in your mind, this is all about a conspiracy theory?

I, personally, have an extreme distaste for legislation for "safety's" sake. I am a firm believer in Darwin's theory, however, it is not very hard to see how MILLIONS of drones, flying autonomously in the NAS represents an absolute concern on the FAA's part. If it were just the safety of the operator of such craft, I would say, "MEH, let them have at it", but in this case, it is the safety of MILLIONS of innocent lives of air travelers at stake. Do we REALLY want to wait until the first mid-air tragedy occurs? I THINK NOT!

Regards,

Astro
Old 12-17-2015, 09:27 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by porcia83
Agree with most of that...except that I see that control can have a positive effect on safety. Don't see this as a big power grab for the FAA, i doubt they care less about controlling our planes. They have been around for how many years, if they wanted to control them they could have done it over the past 40 plus years. Nor the money piece..they don't "profit" from this. They respond to congress...who respond to the voters
They had no legal leg to stand on till the IOAC said model aircraft are airplanes.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:29 AM
Sport_Pilot

So, in your mind, this is all about a conspiracy theory?

I, personally, have an extreme distaste for legislation for "safety's" sake. I am a firm believer in Darwin's theory, however, it is not very hard to see how MILLIONS of drones, flying autonomously in the NAS represents an absolute concern on the FAA's part. If it were just the safety of the operator of such craft, I would say, "MEH, let them have at it", but in this case, it is the safety of MILLIONS of innocent lives of air travelers at stake. Do we REALLY want to wait until the first mid-air tragedy occurs? I THINK NOT!

Regards,

Astro
I see almost no chance of a mid air tragedy, even if there is a mid air. Damage to the aircraft but no tragedy.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:13 AM
init4fun

I see almost no chance of a mid air tragedy, even if there is a mid air. Damage to the aircraft but no tragedy.
Hey Sport ,

With a little wallmart "toy grade" drone , yea , I agree it'd be like a bug getting squashed on your car's windshield .

But have you seen the size of some of those things ? Just as we model aircraft flyers have some pretty big ones , so too do the drone folks . In fact , the drone the channel 4 news here keeps showing when they air the story is almost 4 feet across which gotta go at least what ? maybe 5 or 10 pounds , maybe more for all I know ? A drone that large hitting a jet's windshield could very well penetrate it and it would only take once .

This is yet another reason why I'm such a firm believer in the separation of model aircraft & drones . Think of it like the separation of Church & State , See , not ALL segregation is bad , despite what all the new agey hopey changey politically correct folks would try to have ya believe

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.