Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Yes or No , Do you think the AMA was right or wrong to embrace DRONES ?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Was it a mistake or not for the AMA to embrace drones ?
Yes
77.25%
No
22.75%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Yes or No , Do you think the AMA was right or wrong to embrace DRONES ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 04:08 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by on_your_six
I would be interested in the results of this question when, and if it were to be properly asked (no matter what combatpigg has to say).

I remind you that you had an opportunity to elect different AMA officials in an election recently completed. If you feel this strongly about the issue, why was there no change in the top leadership?
Good luck with that.... Start a poll and watch the dung fly.

I don't recall the last election for president etc, but the last elections for Distrtrict VPs was abysmal in terms of voter turn out. Lot's of suggested reasons for that of course...but it was really pretty low. Funny thing too about all the talk of "throw da bums out" and "we need new leaders" and "they threw us under the bus"....not a single person who tosses out those overused and empty slogans has said they would run for office, or even took the time to suggest who they would want to run. They want change, but want nothing to do with effecting change.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:17 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I would be interested in the results of this question when, and if it were to be properly asked.......
That issue was taken care of by page 3 or 4 , back when there weren't even 50 respondents to the thread . I would think that as we approach the 300 voters mark , that the results are becoming exactly what the voters properly want to say .........
Old 01-03-2016, 06:40 PM
porcia83
Banned

The results would probably be the same from a percentage standpoint after 100 responses....give or take some. Would be interesting on the next one to get snapshots in time just to track something like that, say at 50, 100, 150 etc. I didn't think to do that on the one I started, doubt I have as many responses as this one though.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:51 PM
az3d
My Feedback: (59)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would sign this document. I think they are right on.
Originally Posted by astrohog
Here's another 14 well-known names in modeling that think the AMA should show distinct separation between "traditional" modeling and "drones".

[ATTACH]2133121[/IMG]

Regards,

Astro
Old 01-03-2016, 07:03 PM
porcia83
Banned

One of the authors of that letter is in this thread right now, (islandflyer) you can either ask him here or PM him on how to move forward with that.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:30 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

I would be interested in the results of this question when, and if it were to be properly asked.......

Originally Posted by init4fun
That issue was taken care of by page 3 or 4 , back when there weren't even 50 respondents to the thread . I would think that as we approach the 300 voters mark , that the results are becoming exactly what the voters properly want to say .........
porcia83
The results would probably be the same from a percentage standpoint after 100 responses....give or take some. Would be interesting on the next one to get snapshots in time just to track something like that, say at 50, 100, 150 etc. I didn't think to do that on the one I started, doubt I have as many responses as this one though.

az3d

Originally Posted by astrohog
Here's another 14 well-known names in modeling that think the AMA should show distinct separation between "traditional" modeling and "drones".

Attachment 2133121
Attachment 2133122Attachment 2133123Attachment 2133124Attachment 2133125

Regards,

Astro

I wonder what the results would be if the 45,000 or 120,000+ or whatever the number of people is that have Registered with the FAA were here to vote? There are two old Proverbs that may be appropriate here to explain the AMA's position.
1. U can't beat city hall
2. If U can't beat'em, Join'em.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:32 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by az3d
You can also check his website for guidance. An urgent item such as this must be all over his homepage.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:39 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by porcia83
Good luck with that.... Start a poll and watch the dung fly.

I don't recall the last election for president etc, but the last elections for Distrtrict VPs was abysmal in terms of voter turn out. Lot's of suggested reasons for that of course...but it was really pretty low. Funny thing too about all the talk of "throw da bums out" and "we need new leaders" and "they threw us under the bus"....not a single person who tosses out those overused and empty slogans has said they would run for office, or even took the time to suggest who they would want to run. They want change, but want nothing to do with effecting change.
Exactly!
Old 01-04-2016, 04:09 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by HoundDog
It might EDUCATE them if they bother to read before signing. Else. all is for naught.
Very few ever read the "I Agree too" before hitting the submit button.

Mike
Old 01-04-2016, 04:12 AM
rcmiket

I would be interested in the results of this question when, and if it were to be properly asked (no matter what combatpigg has to say).

I remind you that you had an opportunity to elect different AMA officials in an election recently completed. If you feel this strongly about the issue, why was there no change in the top leadership?
District 8 made a change.

Mike
Old 01-04-2016, 04:29 AM
porcia83
Banned

50 votes made the difference in that election, in a district with how many thousands of people.

Has he send out an e-mail to the district yet introducing himself or indicating what his goals/objectives are?
Old 01-04-2016, 05:00 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
50 votes made the difference in that election, in a district with how many thousands of people.

Has he send out an e-mail to the district yet introducing himself or indicating what his goals/objectives are?
1 vote or 50 votes does it really matter? NOPE. The next EC meeting is this 1-11 at the AMA Expo. They just recently updated the D8 page reflecting Harville is the new VP along with the contact info. I'll be contacting him to touch base on all of this.

Mike
Old 01-04-2016, 08:03 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
1 vote or 50 votes does it really matter? NOPE. The next EC meeting is this 1-11 at the AMA Expo. They just recently updated the D8 page reflecting Harville is the new VP along with the contact info. I'll be contacting him to touch base on all of this.

Mike
It's not a knock on anyone...its relevance is that it was such a small number of people voting given the size of the district, as well as the small number of votes that made the difference. So yes be it one or fifty the win is the win. Hopefully people recognise that their votes count and to exercise that freedom as much as possible.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:30 AM
Sport_Pilot

I don't always vote because more often than not I know nothing about the candidates. I don't think a short post or two on the AMA website is informative enough to vote, but once did because one or two posted something I was against. I don't think it wise to have a bunch of ignorant voters, so it is probably better to have a small number of informed voters.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:41 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I don't always vote because more often than not I know nothing about the candidates. I don't think a short post or two on the AMA website is informative enough to vote, but once did because one or two posted something I was against. I don't think it wise to have a bunch of ignorant voters, so it is probably better to have a small number of informed voters.
And here my Friend I will give you a high five !

About the worst thing someone can do , in my opinion , is to vote when they haven't the knowledge of where a candidate stands on the important issues facing an organization , be that the AMA right on up to voting in a presidential election . When folks vote on things like popularity or name recognition and not on issues , the results are generally dismal . Here in Massachusetts , for example , still to this day if your last name is Kennedy your pretty much a shoe in for any office you run for ! Now God bless the Kennedys , maybe the guy would be a good fit for the office , but it had best be more than just his name that qualifies him for that position ! And yet without doing the research , the rank & file will walk into the booth , say "Oh , a Kennedy is running" and automatically vote the name without any idea of where the man behind the name stands .

The one thing I will say in the negative is , of course , that those who don't get involved enough to know the candidates well enough to cast an informed vote , really have no leg to stand on when complaining about the day to day operations of that organization . This is not directed at Sport since I don't know as I've ever seen him complain about the way the AMA is run , but instead it's for anyone who does complain and doesn't cast an informed ballot ......
Old 01-04-2016, 12:36 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

This is the very reason each candidate has an opportunity to write a campaign statement. The campaign statements are published in Model Aviation, posted on the AMA's website, and in some cases sent in the mail.

Not voting on assumption that everyone voting is informed is poor at best.

If you don't vote, don't complain.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:40 PM
Sport_Pilot

If you don't vote, don't complain.
I often vote and rarely complain.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:53 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I often vote and rarely complain.
That's the spirit.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:31 PM
Sport_Pilot

But then there are times I didn't vote but did complain. But not sure it was the same voting cycle.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:57 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I'm from Chicago, Vote Early,, Vote Often. The hard part was getting the dead democrats to the polls though.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:04 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

in the not too distant future envisioned by the "technocrats", you will only have to know their log in info to "vote" the dead.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:09 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by acdii
I'm from Chicago, Vote Early,, Vote Often. The hard part was getting the dead democrats to the polls though.
I heard the first time it was easy, the second and third time though was a bit tougher. Didn't the Mayor accept personal responsibility for that, then fire someone?
Old 01-04-2016, 07:45 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by acdii
simple U offer Cigarettes and booze like they do in Milwaukee a the Mission.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:55 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Here's what one multi-rotor pilot has done. We need to be a lot more thankful!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...ion-rules.html
Old 01-05-2016, 10:54 PM
Renegade_2k
My Feedback: (1)

Ya know, after all the crap I’ve read in the Forums and in News Websites about “drones” recently, I have to admit, I’ve been a bit upset that the Hobby I’ve enjoyed all my life has finally reached the point of disruption, and being regulated by the Government because of a bunch of ne'er-do-well’s.

FINALLY, I feel a lot better! Dang near ecstatic!

Although I now have to register myself, and my legacy RC Stuff, with the FAA, that’s ok. I know can behave and play by the rules when I’m flying.. I always have. But for those who cannot.. here’s a little something for you!

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/battle-innovations-anti-drone-gun/

Exquisitely designed, small, easily transportable, shoulder mount operation, short range, efficient, and cost effective for Law Enforcement.

For those bigger issues, and active monitoring and interdiction of a larger area, there is a more eloquent solution. It seems the Brits are a bit more aggressive about this drone situation than those of us in the States. They give you this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8aZ0zWX3SA For more information, please see their website here.. http://www.blighter.com/products/blighter-auds-anti-uav-defence-system.html

Ruggedized Construction, scalable, early warning and active tracking and interdiction. Non-lethal to deploy, and able to gather and record evidence against the offending operator(s). I also understand that COTS Pricing is available.

I have to tell you, I’ve actually seen a couple of these units, mounted to HMMWV’s here in CONUS. I had NO IDEA what I was looking at, and did not ask. Now I know.. (and knowing is half the battle! Go JOE!!) I'm sure that there are many more being operationally tested now.

Suffice to say, Uncle Sam is obviously serious about security, and a bit fed up with all the drone BS.

Enjoy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.