Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Yes or No , Do you think the AMA was right or wrong to embrace DRONES ?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Was it a mistake or not for the AMA to embrace drones ?
Yes
77.25%
No
22.75%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Yes or No , Do you think the AMA was right or wrong to embrace DRONES ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 01:27 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Fried drones with all the trimmings, while watching the BIG drone deal in Ca, After all it's the future of the hobby.

Mike
At least you're admitting it, so many people are out there are just clueless or just too stubborn to realize the future is, well, here already. Doesn't explain the anomaly of your shop dropping 75% sales in them, but there's probably more to that story.

I don't know that the future of RC is all about drones, but they will certainly play a role in it, just as other new and emerging technology has (ie helis, arfs, foamies). Progress progresses, dinosaurs die.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:37 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
At least you're admitting it, so many people are out there are just clueless or just too stubborn to realize the future is, well, here already. Doesn't explain the anomaly of your shop dropping 75% sales in them, but there's probably more to that story.

I don't know that the future of RC is all about drones, but they will certainly play a role in it, just as other new and emerging technology has (ie helis, arfs, foamies). Progress progresses, dinosaurs die.
I was joking about it being the future. So far participation and spectator attendance seems to be lacking at these events.

Mike
Old 03-12-2016, 02:06 PM
porcia83
Banned

Oh ya...practically nobody is involved or attending these functions. LoL you could have 2500 people show up in your city for an event and you would go out of your way to find a way to downplay it.

I bet control line flying took off like a bat out of hell when it was first introduced to the hobby, IMAC too!

I'm guessing if it's not from Fox news it's not a credible source, but here's something hot off the wire from NPR (oh the horror):

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...erway-in-dubai

250k prize money for team coming in first. 50k for individual freestyle. 100k for best team, as voted by audience (probably 10 or 15 guys I'm sure).

Say, any "traditional" modeling event putting on something like this stateside? Oh heck, lets open it up worldwide. Anyone? Bueller?

Ya, I couldn't find one. But here is another drone event, again, will probably only have a few folks show up but it's in the US.

http://dronenationals.com/

50k award...not bad eh? Hey, and traditional (insert random name here) Brotherhood #14 groups hosting something like that?

Say, where is the dude from PAU and the other 13 signatories of the drone independence letter, are they hosting any "traditional modeling" events this year with prize money? How many dozens of participants are showing up to those events? I checked his site for updates and info, didn't see anything. Exciting news though, in 2015, yes 2015 they are working on some 30cc products.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:11 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
Oh ya...practically nobody is involved or attending these functions. LoL you could have 2500 people show up in your city for an event and you would go out of your way to find a way to downplay it.

I bet control line flying took off like a bat out of hell when it was first introduced to the hobby, IMAC too!

I'm guessing if it's not from Fox news it's not a credible source, but here's something hot off the wire from NPR (oh the horror):

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...erway-in-dubai

250k prize money for team coming in first. 50k for individual freestyle. 100k for best team, as voted by audience (probably 10 or 15 guys I'm sure).

Say, any "traditional" modeling event putting on something like this stateside? Oh heck, lets open it up worldwide. Anyone? Bueller?

Ya, I couldn't find one. But here is another drone event, again, will probably only have a few folks show up.

http://dronenationals.com/

50k award...not bad eh? Hey, and traditional (insert random name here) Brotherhood #14 clubs hosting something like that?

Say, where is the dude from PAU and the other 13 signatories of the drone independence letter, are they hosting any "traditional modeling" events this year with prize money? How many dozens of participants are showing up to those events? I checked his site for updates and info, didn't see anything. Exciting news though, in 2015, yes 2015 they are working on some 30cc products.
I still waiting for the 16,000 spectators for this weekends big deal in Ca,Giving away prize money with out spectators won't last long. So far not a peep. You and the AMA just keep on hoping this becomes the next big thing meanwhile our friends in Washington are working overtime to kill it. You see the problem here?

Mike
Old 03-12-2016, 02:41 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I love those bumper stickers..!

Too bad our AMA disqualified themselves from being able to endorse the fundamental distinction that these stickers make.
This is what undermines our position [in the eyes of the FAA] as Traditional Radio Control Model Airplane Operators.

BTW, how does the popularity of the Drone Flying Sport excuse the AMA's failure to protect My Sport from needless FAA regulation..?
I don't see the connection.

Last edited by combatpigg; 03-12-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:29 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes it was wrong and i been saying it for a couple years . joe
Old 03-12-2016, 03:35 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by combatpigg
I love those bumper stickers..!

Too bad our AMA disqualified themselves from being able to endorse the fundamental distinction that these stickers make.
This is what undermines our position [in the eyes of the FAA] as Traditional Radio Control Model Airplane Operators.

BTW, how does the popularity of the Drone Flying Sport excuse the AMA's failure to protect My Sport from needless FAA regulation..?
I don't see the connection.
Were old and outdated and no use to them anymore. They seem to forget that we built the organization, backed and protected the hobby by common sense flying and still do 95% of all the work on the club level. But hell what do we know..............................................

Mike
Old 03-12-2016, 03:38 PM
joebahl

These threads get over run with guys protecting there god given right to fly their drones of FPVs any time the delivery guy drops one off to them . It bringing unwanted attention to my rc hobby but they think its some kind of a joke. The FAA and others will take a dump on their birthday cake soon and it will affect them more than us regular flyers . Good luck gents ! joe
Old 03-12-2016, 03:39 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

I still waiting for the 16,000 spectators for this weekends big deal in Ca,Giving away prize money with out spectators won't last long. So far not a peep. You and the AMA just keep on hoping this becomes the next big thing meanwhile our friends in Washington are working overtime to kill it. You see the problem here?

Mike
Seems like you're always waiting on numbers. I got you the Oompa Loompa numbers, but then you didn't like them so you discredited the source. I see a reoccurring pattern here....
Old 03-12-2016, 03:42 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Seems like you're always waiting on numbers. I got you the Oompa Loompa numbers, but then you didn't like them so you discredited the source. I see a reoccurring pattern here....
Me too your a liberal.

Mike
Old 03-12-2016, 03:45 PM
joebahl

Me too your a liberal.

Mike
Thats the worst insult i have seen here in all my years .lmao NICE call !
Old 03-12-2016, 03:47 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by joebahl
Thats the worst insult i have seen here in all my years .lmao NICE call !
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.............................................. ....

Mike
Old 03-12-2016, 03:55 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.............................................. ....

Mike
Are you trying to tell us you're a duck?
Old 03-12-2016, 03:55 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Me too your a liberal.

Mike
The pattern repeats....
Old 03-12-2016, 04:00 PM
joebahl

To much politics for me going to go watch trump shooting himself in the foot more . lol Live long and prosper gents. joe
Old 03-13-2016, 12:49 PM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

Yes I do, the AMA is all about money and there are more drones than r/c airplanes and r/c helicopters combined.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:14 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

All right I challenge anyone to tell me that anything has changed in their R/C Flying other than having to have an FAA Registration on their Person and it in or on their craft while flying. No different than flying under the rules of the AMA. Besides being a Non issue Absolutely nothing has changed. 2 years of whining and BS bickering for nothing.

Yesterday Saturday 12 march our R/C club had an R/C display at an open house at Williams Field Mesa AZ and anyone that came up to our display I'd ask what they thought a "Drone" was all but 1 person thought they were thes flying things with cameras that people used for spying or flying the neighborhood. The one guy thet said any unmanned aircraft controlled from the ground. Well he flew a Drone Heli for Boeing. He also commented they were only allowed to fly it over government land i.e. like army or National Guard bases.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:43 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by HoundDog
All right I challenge anyone to tell me that anything has changed in their R/C Flying other than having to have an FAA Registration on their
Yea my 80+ year old Mother asked me the other day if I was still flying "those drones that are causing all the problems". I laughed pretty hard.

Mike
Old 03-13-2016, 01:48 PM
joebahl

Yea my 80+ year old Mother asked me the other day if I was still flying "those drones that are causing all the problems". I laughed pretty hard.

Mike
LOL Like most children you should have listened .
Old 03-15-2016, 05:29 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

So , In Louisiana , the news is reporting that the rains have been SO bad that coffins are actually floating to the surface as the floods wash away all the dirt . Yep , just further proof that life keeps on screwing with ya , even after your dead & buried ...
Old 04-09-2016, 04:31 AM
rcmiket

Problem solved. The AMA can turn all this over to these guys and focus on what we do.They also have much deeper pockets.

http://dronemanufacturersalliance.org/

"Leading global drone manufacturers 3DR, DJI, GoPro and Parrot today are forming the Drone Manufacturers Alliance, a coalition that will serve as the voice for drone manufacturers and our customers across civilian, governmental, recreational, commercial, nonprofit and public safety applications. We will advocate for policies that promote innovation and safety, and create a practical and responsible regulatory framework."

Mike
Old 04-09-2016, 08:05 AM
porcia83
Banned

Problem solved. The AMA can turn all this over to these guys and focus on what we do.They also have much deeper pockets.

http://dronemanufacturersalliance.org/

"Leading global drone manufacturers 3DR, DJI, GoPro and Parrot today are forming the Drone Manufacturers Alliance, a coalition that will serve as the voice for drone manufacturers and our customers across civilian, governmental, recreational, commercial, nonprofit and public safety applications. We will advocate for policies that promote innovation and safety, and create a practical and responsible regulatory framework."

Mike
No problem is solved, it's just another org...like IMAC. Did that org solve any problem? Looking in the past and hoping for some change in the future that will never ever come seems like wasted energy.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:41 AM
Sport_Pilot

You don't want them to get their way. We may end up with a 200 foot limit instead of 400.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:45 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
You don't want them to get their way. We may end up with a 200 foot limit instead of 400.

That's coming regardless. Amazon spent 9.4 million lobbying last year.

Mike
Old 04-09-2016, 11:15 AM
porcia83
Banned

That's coming regardless. Amazon spent 9.4 million lobbying last year.

Mike
If that's the case, explain again how the AMA shunning the MR/Drone crowd would have benefited the hobby? If I recall the MR's are to blame for this mess were in, and the AMA was wrong to allow them into the hobby, and in doing so they caused this govt oversight we have now. So at the end of the day it seems like none of that was really the reason for this issue....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.