Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA embracing Drones / Multi-Rotors / Quads, a bad decision?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Do you believe a mistake was made by the AMA to embrace Multi-Rotors?
Yes, the AMA made the wrong decision.
67.27%
No, the AMA was spot on with their decision.
32.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

AMA embracing Drones / Multi-Rotors / Quads, a bad decision?

Old 12-11-2015, 08:14 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Do you think Websters has full time staff dedicated to keeping definitions up to date....?
I do.
Do you think they have ever needed to make changes or amendments to the definitions of existing words..?
I do.
There is no way they could have known about this issue when the definitions for drone were entered into the book.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:17 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TimJ
Sorry combatpig, Webster Dictionary doesn't agree with you. Here is an official Webster Dictionary definition of "Drone" used as a noun:

Definition of DRONE

1: a stingless male bee (as of the honeybee) that has the role of mating with the queen and does not gather nectar or pollen

2: one that lives on the labors of others :

3: an unmanned aircraft or ship guided by remote control or onboard computers

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/drone

IF you like to read science journals like I do, most in that sphere of influence would not call something remotely piloted a drone. But thanks mostly to news media, the multi-rotor aircraft have been labeled drone. Much like a copy machine, most people call the Xerox. Doesn't matter that the machine was manufactured by Canon, people will still call it a Xerox machine.

So after all of the babble, the end game is public recognition of what they perceive things. When the public observes a Multi-Rotor, they see "Drone". When the public observes a Model Airplane, they see Toy R/C airplane. Those labels are in place, and it would take an act of congress to change that perception......
The only definition that matters is the FAA's.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:13 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Do you think Websters has full time staff dedicated to keeping definitions up to date....?
I do.
Do you think they have ever needed to make changes or amendments to the definitions of existing words..?
I do.
There is no way they could have known about this issue when the definitions for drone were entered into the book.
In one of these drone threads I used the example of the word , "Gay"

Gay , in the early 1900s meant happy , nothing more . In fact , I believe the 1890s were known as the "Gay Nineties" in the same way as the 1920s were known as the "Roaring Twenties" . Fast forward a hundred years and the public , with NO prompting and needing NO "permission" from Websters , has reassigned that word to mean something else entirely ! Yes sir , it is popular public usage that defines what any given word means and it is Websters responsibility to keep up to date on what the public has decided . This high and mighty attitude of some who quote Websters as being the end all be all of what words mean , as though it is THEY who assign words' meanings rather than try to play the always one step behind catch up with what the speaking public has decided they mean , would be funny if not so blatantly ignorant of the real fact that the dictonary doesn't decide what words mean , it merely catalogs what the public has decided each word means based on popular usage .

Show ANY member of the non RC public a quad and they will say ........... "Drone !"

Show them a F4U Corsair and they will say ......... "Toy Plane !"

Now , regardless of what the wordsmiths here have said , CP and I are right , the public has spoken , and now it's time for both the dictonary AND THE FAA , to get with the present day usage of the word drone !

Unless , of course , all you RCers , happily flying your toys , would rather be seen as gay instead of happy ?
Old 12-12-2015, 05:25 AM
init4fun

PS ,

I will add to my above post the footnote that while the general public has decided what the word drone means , That decision has been based on the misinformation put out by the sensationalist media who label all quads in the news "drones" ....

I personally favor a bit more of an expanded definition to include CJ Rumley's well thought out reasoning about the "What , Where , and Why" aspect of what differentiates a model aircraft from a drone . All the public has to go on when deciding what a word means is the information presented to them that raises the issue in the first place . Since John Q Public was introduced to quads as drones via 2 second soundbite media reporting , it's highly likely that definition will stick , even though it doesn't take into account the (relatively few) quads that ARE flown LOS as "traditional" model aircraft , or the other technicalities that truly separate the two .

The public has spoken ! ........
Old 12-12-2015, 02:02 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by init4fun
"...

Unless , of course , all you RCers , happily flying your toys , would rather be seen as gay instead of happy ?..."
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	53b551861168952f.jpg.png
Views:	43
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	2135508  
Old 12-12-2015, 02:38 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by porcia83
"Cause He's a Lumberjack and works all day" ........
Old 12-13-2015, 08:05 PM
franklin_m

If indeed the FAA makes an announcement tomorrow, and if the rumors are true, then perhaps we have an answer to the question that started this thread.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:24 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
If indeed the FAA makes an announcement tomorrow, and if the rumors are true, then perhaps we have an answer to the question that started this thread.
Makes perfect sense, if the AMA didn't embrace MR then all this regulation would only apply to MR and everything at the AMA would be business as usual for "traditional" fixed wing and rotary wing aircraft modelers and they wouldn't have a worry in the world.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:41 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Franklin, if this is scripted like Reality TV, the FAA will first drop a bomb on us that sounds like the End Of Times, [like registering each and every model for a fee] then the AMA will rise up from the ashes and convince the FAA that we should ONLY have to register ourselves for a one time fee provided that we can pass a written competency test.
The AMA Glee Club will see this as a huge victory on the AMA's part and will be forever grateful for the selfless, courageous stance that their leaders took to make FPV such a worthwhile cause to sacrifice our autonomy for.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:12 PM
TimJ

Lol!
Old 12-15-2015, 01:46 PM
TimJ

How will the tides swing. LOL
Old 12-16-2015, 05:43 AM
Sport_Pilot

Red face

I saw parts of the SyFy mini-series Childhood's End. I think it will be like that. The FAA will become our "overloards". And the sheeple will one day be very surprised when they find out that the FAA administrators are actually demon's!

Yet the Pollyanna's will say, "But they really are not demons, they are benevolent aliens!".

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 12-16-2015 at 05:46 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:30 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot

Yet the Pollyanna's will say, "But they really are not demons, they are benevolent aliens!".
Excellent!!!