Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

"Drone" vs "Model Aircraft"

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

"Drone" vs "Model Aircraft"

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 09:26 PM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Aren't the very ones U want the AMA advocate for the ones causing all the problems we are having with the FAA? Just asking. Looks like a Damned if they do or Dammed if they don't situation here.
I want AMA to advocate for modelers as the mission statement says they do and leave drone operators to get advocacy from another organization of their own choice or making.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:19 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

InIt
Have U ever tried FPV PLEASE don't condemn something Just because U don't care to do it or have never even tried it. ... It's really cool to be in the cockpit and it takes much more skill to land than U would think but following another plane is one of the neatest part of FPV. Done with in the confines of the flying field and down on the deck is tons of fun. On should be on a buddy box (Just as a student) until one gains the expertise to do it safely alone, just like a student pilot should be allowed to solo til determined compenent by a club Instructor. There a few that should have been allowed off the buddy box, but that's for another forum..

As for the definition of sUAS, UAS / Drone / Model airplane/ Quads/ MR's / ect. If it flown fo Fun and/or education it should be referred to and definitely is a "TOY" and be considered as a "TOY" and nothing more. Referring to them as TOYS might get the Idea that they aren't a danger to the public if flown according to the AMA Safety code and the operator/Pilot adheres to all pertinent FAR's / Rules. Again this is just my opinion and it won't change anyone mind that has it made up that if it's not Traditional no one should be allowed to participate in the new improved version of R/C.

Originally Posted by init4fun
Hound , buddy , did you actually READ my post that you quoted ?

Although I was joking , obviously , in my third sentence , my first sentence ;

"Nope , no flying cameras whatsoever THAT AREN'T PART OF AMA DOC . # 550 CONDONED FPV"

clearly reads that i do NOT condemn AMA doc #550 approved FPV !

Now , I DO condemn "unrestricted" FPV , of the sort where ANY facet of the #550 guideline is not adhered to , once beyond #550 a flyer has crossed from FPV into drone territory , and has become part of "the problem"

Tell me , Hound , DO you fly your FPV equipped model aircraft beyond your spotter's line of sight ? Answer honestly please .....

If you do NOT fly beyond your spotter's line of sight , great ! I'd love to try that sort of FPV sometime and have no real issue with that .....

If you DO fly beyond your spotter's LOS , or have no spotter , or fly over folk's heads , or any other mode of flight beyond # 550 , then your NOT FLYING FPV as condoned by AMA , your flying a DRONE , simple as that .......
So Hound , I asked you a question here , "Do you fly your FPV equipped model aircraft beyond your spotter's line of sight ?"

You have chosen to ignore my question .

Why is that ?

Your VERY quick to jump on posts that you (mistakenly) think condemn all FPV , and yet you won't answer the one question that REALLY determines which side of the fence your on , it's a simple question with far reaching implications , Do you follow AMA doc # 550 to the letter or not ?

If yes , your an AMA approved FPV pilot and not "the problem"

If no , then it becomes perfectly clear why you've spent all the energy attacking folks here , Rogue flyers who don't adhere to # 550 ARE "the problem" and are the very reason we're having this conversation in the first place .

The board awaits your response !
Old 12-12-2015, 05:37 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So Hound , I asked you a question here , "Do you fly your FPV equipped model aircraft beyond your spotter's line of sight ?"

Why is that ?

It would seem that Porcia, Crispy and Hound ALL selectively ignore questions asked of them. .It is part of what they do.

Regards,

Astr
Old 12-12-2015, 05:59 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As is the drama you constantly seek. Perhaps we (well, I'll speak for myself) know that no matter what the answer, it will be disparaged, so why bother?

Edit: now that you mention avoiding answering questions. I recall Crispy asking you several times if you were one of the fab 14 signatories to that letter to the AMA. Did I miss where you answered, because don't think you did. But that's fine, that's your choice. Perhaps you thought it was just lead to another silly argument, and wisely chose not to engage. Or, you just wanted to avoid answering so you could watch him bring it up over over again, and enjoy the show. Who knows.

Can a day go by where you don't try to argue, and just add to a thread?

Last edited by porcia83; 12-12-2015 at 06:11 AM.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:07 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by astrohog
It would seem that Porcia, Crispy and Hound ALL selectively ignore questions asked of them. .It is part of what they do.

Regards,

Astr
Either clarify and back up your statements with substance, or try and refrain from posting.

Thank-You.

Astro
Old 12-12-2015, 06:08 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by porcia83
As is the drama you constantly seek. Perhaps we (well, I'll speak for myself) know that no matter what the answer, it will be disparaged, so why bother?
Drama Queen season is always in fashion!
Old 12-12-2015, 06:09 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
I want AMA to advocate for modelers as the mission statement says they do and leave drone operators to get advocacy from another organization of their own choice or making.
The Problem here is Three fold first Though not "Traditional" Models as some proclaim they are still R/C TOYs that Fly and thus should be considered as part of the Hobby.

Second If they aren't part of "Traditional" Model Aviation then neither are Helicopters ARF RTC Bind and fly or anything that isn't built from a pile of Balsa sticks.

Third because many of us as AMA members haven't welcomed this new form of Model Aviation and the people that participate in Quads/Drones i.e.(Bad Mouthed DRONES) Quads, We/U/Me/Traditional Modelers are partially responsible for our predicament of Pending legislation by not reaching out to the "DRONERS" and educating them as to the proper Way Where and time to operate their Quads/Drones. Alienating them is not in our best interest. Just as banning Helicopters when they first started 20 or so years ago.

Embracing change is difficult for Most of us O'l Gezzers, But not doing is/could be very detrimental to our Hobby/Sport. Just think if it were't for Change we'ed all still be flying Free Flight and Control line. No R/C because it's to dangerous to launch something and try to controll it with an RF signal that let's U crash a lot and might be considered as Dangerous.

Last edited by HoundDog; 12-12-2015 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:14 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Have you ever watched Red Bull pilot cameras? They are constantly moving their heads to see what's around them. I don't know if the other racers do the same thing but I assume they do. Only an idiot would think FPV racing is safe.
Seriously? FPV Racing isn't safe? Apparently, you haven't spent much time at an RC flying field if you think non-FPV R/C flying safer than FPV racing.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:44 AM
HoundDog

"NOIn fact I don't I haven't had time in the last couple of years to even fly my own planes. Between Instructing and other commitments I do very little flying on my own. I do go to the one of the 5 clubs if the day ends in a "Y" Except for Wind"Y or Raine"Y".

Why is that ?

Your VERY quick to jump on posts that you (mistakenly) think condemn all FPV , and yet you won't answer the one question that REALLY determines which side of the fence your on , it's a simple question with far reaching implications , Do you follow AMA doc # 550 to the letter or not ?

If yes , your an AMA approved FPV pilot and not "the problem"

If no , then it becomes perfectly clear why you've spent all the energy attacking folks here , Rogue flyers who don't adhere to # 550 ARE "the problem" and are the very reason we're having this conversation in the first place .

The board awaits your response !
I've done (Tried) FPV for well over 20 years and with little success. Never any place other than an AMA Field. Now I find (For Health reasons) even getting a plane out of the Van and putting it together I'm all tired out and have little stamina to even fly it much less take it apart and put it back in the van.

To answer init and astro why I hadn't answered their question is I simply never saw it. If I answer some ones post my post goes right to the end of the posts. If some one has posted after the one I answered I get an Email that they answered or posted but when I try to find the post for some unknown reason it jumps right to my post that has been placed at the end and I don't get a chance to see any thing that was is between The post I answered and My Post ... Understand.

At least I think that is what happens. I'm gone for most of the day and end up with anywhere 20 to 30 Emails a day. It's also hard for me to remember past 12 seconds as to what form or who who's post I'm answering. That becomes very frustrating for me too. Not looking for sympathy just explaining why certain post don't seem to go with the forum. Now what the HELL was I saying OH YA, Init & astro I Think, But think what U want, Like we used to say in the service "The only thing that Maters is that Nothing Maters? Looks Like I might get something done today No Going to the Field to day It's raining HARD right now. Might gt my 9, 10 & 11 o'clock naps in before My 12:30 after lunch siesta then my 1.2.& 3 O'Clocks naps too. Guess U come Into the world Needing lots of sleep and we seem to go out Napping a lot too. The only difference is as a baby U get "BREAST" feed. Think about that one.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:00 AM
HoundDog

Regards,

Astr

Either clarify and back up your statements with substance, or try and refrain from posting.

Thank-You.

Astro

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Bacon we'er damned if we post and damned if we don't ... Can't win with these guys. Good thing U can't be convicted for a "HATE" crime just cause U bad mouth it.

Now I supposed that will be interpreted as nasty but OH Well "IF the TRUTH HURTS"
Old 12-12-2015, 07:17 AM
init4fun

Edit: now that you mention avoiding answering questions. I recall Crispy asking you several times if you were one of the fab 14 signatories to that letter to the AMA. Did I miss where you answered, because don't think you did. But that's fine, that's your choice. Perhaps you thought it was just lead to another silly argument, and wisely chose not to engage. Or, you just wanted to avoid answering so you could watch him bring it up over over again, and enjoy the show. Who knows.

I realize your addressing astro here , but , I did ask Hound Dog a fair question and I have no intent of disparaging his response , whether it's the response I wanted to hear or not . Yes Sir Hound Dog , you bet I'd try FPV with you if #550 was being followed , it sounds like the view would be great ! Folks like you and I aren't "the problem" since if flying cameras HAD stuck to only #550 approved operations we wouldn't have the negative guilt by association we're experiencing today . I have no "fact & figures" but my gut instinct is that folks like Hound and I , folks who actually would keep their FPV within the safe confines of # 550 are but a tiny minority , with a far greater majority of camera equipped devices being flown BLOS and thus being , "The Problem"

Happy Flying Hound , I do sincerely hope your health allows YOU some fun flying time , beyond your teaching & such .
Old 12-12-2015, 07:35 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Regards,

Astr

Thank-You.

Astro

Bacon we'er damned if we post and damned if we don't ... Can't win with these guys.

It's not about winning, it's about entertainment value, whatever you do don't take it seriously. Just look at the humor in the responses and have a good laugh. Many made up their minds long ago and you'll never be able to change them. Nothing wrong with that, it's human nature, people are people, you can't change people.

Remember:
"It is more noble to give yourself completely to one individual than to labor diligently for the salvation of the masses."

Good thing U can't be convicted for a "HATE" crime just cause U bad mouth it.

Now I supposed that will be interpreted as nasty but OH Well "IF the TRUTH HURTS"
Old 12-12-2015, 07:56 AM
porcia83
Banned

I realize your addressing astro here , but , I did ask Hound Dog a fair question and I have no intent of disparaging his response , whether it's the response I wanted to hear or not . Yes Sir Hound Dog , you bet I'd try FPV with you if #550 was being followed , it sounds like the view would be great ! Folks like you and I aren't "the problem" since if flying cameras HAD stuck to only #550 approved operations we wouldn't have the negative guilt by association we're experiencing today . I have no "fact & figures" but my gut instinct is that folks like Hound and I , folks who actually would keep their FPV within the safe confines of # 550 are but a tiny minority , with a far greater majority of camera equipped devices being flown BLOS and thus being , "The Problem"

Happy Flying Hound , I do sincerely hope your health allows YOU some fun flying time , beyond your teaching & such .
The funny thing is that sometimes people just don't see the questions, either because they are buried in comments, or because the thread moves along wo quickly they just don't see it, as HD indicated above.

Regardless, it's another 60 degree day here I plan to make the most of it. After being prodded and to some degree villified by CP, I went ahead and did a new build, and plan to maiden it today. I'll post up pics, hopefully it will make it to the front page, we need some new ones! Happy flying!
Old 12-12-2015, 08:15 AM
poison

Drones are for people that want to fly, but don't want to crash.. Or they are for people that enjoy looking at thing from a birds eye view. To me RC aircraft are for people that enjoy assembly of models and enjoy watching what the invested in
Old 12-12-2015, 08:18 AM
HoundDog

Folks like you and I aren't "the problem" since if flying cameras HAD stuck to only #550 approved operations we wouldn't have the negative guilt by association we're experiencing today
In New Zealand they have been flying FPV out as far as 4 kilometers with out any problems. It isn't done in populated areas and it isn't done over 400' AGL. In fact Nothing R/C is flown over 400' anyplace in NZ. That being said let's take a look at the other part of some peoples philosophy on certain forms of Non-Traditional R/C Flying.

Just a guess here but Why do U suppose these people are a problem? Couldn't be that that WE as Traditional AMA R/Cers' have Shunned and disparaged and generally Bad mouthed them. May be because we have FAILED to educate them as to the proper How, When & Where to be legal and safe to fly any thing R/C. Just a guessing here, but would U want to follow or associate with people that didn't like U or what U seek to have fun doing, then being told U aren't allowed to do that but not given any explanation or guidance why it not conducive to good or safe R/C Flying.
Again Just Making an Uneducated Guess.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:18 AM
init4fun

The funny thing is that sometimes people just don't see the questions, either because they are buried in comments, or because the thread moves along wo quickly they just don't see it, as HD indicated above.

Regardless, it's another 60 degree day here I plan to make the most of it. After being prodded and to some degree villified by CP, I went ahead and did a new build, and plan to maiden it today. I'll post up pics, hopefully it will make it to the front page, we need some new ones! Happy flying!
Thank You Porcia , Happy Flying right back at ya and I hope your maiden goes well , 60 degree days don't come often in December , it's great that your able to take advantage of it !

And yes , photos of your build will be great to see
Old 12-12-2015, 08:22 AM
JimDrew
My Feedback: (16)

The DHS (Department of Homeland Security), who ultimately controls the FAA, defines a "drone" the same as a UAV: A vehicle that is capable of being guided using a non-manual means. So, a drone by definition is a vehicle (typically an aircraft) that can be flown using a means that exceeds the capability of a single manually guided system, ie. handheld control system with line of sight observation. So, the addition of video transmission and/or GPS control immediately classifies a vehicle as a "UAV", aka "drone", whether the video transmission and/or GPS is being used or not. Just having it on board changes the classification.

A model aircraft is something that a single pilot is flown using their eyesight and manual control box only. If you don't have any means possible on board to autonomously control the aircraft, it's a "model".

I am not sure how much simpler the distinction between the two can be.

Last edited by JimDrew; 12-12-2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:28 AM
init4fun

Folks like you and I aren't "the problem" since if flying cameras HAD stuck to only #550 approved operations we wouldn't have the negative guilt by association we're experiencing today
In New Zealand they have been flying FPV out as far as 4 kilometers with out any problems. It isn't done in populated areas and it isn't done over 400' AGL. In fact Nothing R/C is flown over 400' anyplace in NZ. That being said let's take a look at the other part of some peoples philosophy on certain forms of Non-Traditional R/C Flying.

Just a guess here but Why do U suppose these people are a problem? Couldn't be that that WE as Traditional AMA R/Cers' have Shunned and disparaged and generally Bad mouthed them. May be because we have FAILED to educate them as to the proper How, When & Where to be legal and safe to fly any thing R/C. Just a guessing here, but would U want to follow or associate with people that didn't like U or what U seek to have fun doing, then being told U aren't allowed to do that but not given any explanation or guidance why it not conducive to good or safe R/C Flying.
Again Just Making an Uneducated Guess.
Hey Hound ,

I have always agreed with you that the traditional or the # 550 flyers aren't the problem . As to the "rogue" flyers , I honestly never see the flyer themselves cause they aren't at the fields I fly at , they're somewhere out of view piloting their drone out of their line of sight . As an old guy with a somewhat friendly demeanor in person , sure I could try to explain the dangers of unrestricted drone operations but honestly buddy , How many do you think would listen instead of trying to brand me a "fun killing old fart" if I was ever face to face with a rogue operator ? Also , your New Zealand example bears looking into as well , there you have a community of flyers who seem to be deliberately staying out of full scale's way , sticking to the remote areas , and generally not making a menace of themselves . Contrast that with our Urban drone pilot who cares not what full scale operations they get in the way of , as long as they get their selfish kicks and "Awesome U TOOB" footage 50 feet away from some jetliner's cockpit .
Old 12-12-2015, 08:37 AM
HoundDog

Good Luck with the Maiden ....

Just for Sheits and Giggles it Overcast Rainey and right now 47 degrees and windy here in 99.9% sunny warm in AJ just a stones through from down town Phoenix. BURRR that's f'nn cold for here. Of course the NATIVES are in parkes hoods earmuffs and gloves when it goes below 60. I have pictures to prove that. But of course at 60 here come some guy in a T shirt shorts and flip flops, With Sno-Bird written all over him. Spent the last 14 winters here I'm getting climatized, Used to walk in shirt sleeves at 36 degrees in the morning. Now at 47 this morning I was bundled up like a Native. Again let's see some Pics (Best taken just before the maiden) and some video posted to U=Tube too.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:48 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by JimDrew
The DHS (Department of Homeland Security), who ultimately controls the FAA, defines a "drone" the same as a UAV: A vehicle that is capable of being guided using a non-manual means. So, a drone by definition is a vehicle (typically an aircraft) that can be flown using a means that exceeds the capability of a single manually guided system, ie. handheld control system with line of sight observation. So, the addition of video transmission and/or GPS control immediately classifies a vehicle as a "UAV", aka "drone", whether the video transmission and/or GPS is being used or not. Just having it on board changes the classification.

A model aircraft is something that a single pilot is flown using their eyesight and manual control box only. If you don't have any means possible on board to autonomously control the aircraft, it's a "model".

Hi Jim ,

A single , nailed down definition of Drone seems rather elusive , and I do somewhat agree with your premise . The part where we differ is on AMA # 550 FPV . If , and that's a huge IF , it's practiced "to the letter" , # 550 FPV is not what's causing us harm . Now to be sure , FAR too many have abused the FPV equipment by flying BLOS , and if that ends up killing all camera equipped flying well then they will have brought it on themselves . Kinda like "Lawn Darts" , it seemed like such a fun idea at the time , till far too many drunken morons at backyard parties planted them into their friend's skulls , and then they were taken off the market . I would gladly give up # 550 if it came to that to save the rest of the hobby , but I really don't think the # 550 compliant folks are the ones causing the problem as it exists today ......

Someone earlier mentioned a Horizon Hobbies trainer with an automatic landing feature . Since this can land the craft without operator intervention (other than switching the autoland on in the first place) has this trainer strayed too far from the model aircraft designation and now become a drone ?

Last edited by init4fun; 12-12-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:53 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't feel the need to feed the trolls.
Why should I answer anything when the courtesy is not returned?
As far as the "drama queen" comment; NICE TOUCH!
Funny how you have an aversion to name.calling, but you and Crispy seem to have an exemption! LOL
In fact, I believe the last question that you left unanswered was the one where I asked if you really thought that you did not sling as much mud as anyone else here. Irony? I think not!
Sorry, as one infamous poster her once said, "I just call it as I see it"

Have a nice day.

Astro
Old 12-12-2015, 09:01 AM
HoundDog

Being that the FAA/NTSB/HLS definition is WRONG when these types are Flown in accordance with the FAR's/Rules/Safety Code at a designated insured flying site.

Then again all these new trainers like the APPRENTICE and anything with a gyro/GPS are going to be Illegal as soon as the FAA get's off it Preferable BUTT and rewrites all the FAR's concerning UAV/sUAV/Quads/Drones/ Anything with some form of auto pilot or camera on board. Yet if U want to U can apply for a wavier (And I suppose Pay big Money) then do what U want , Not breaking any FAR's, Rules/Safety Code Of Course. Ludicrous but that's a government agency's way of dealing with a problem tax it charge it ban it all so they don't have to deal with the real problem. The problem here is the Uneducated/uniformed/ or just plain "DON"T give a DAmN" crowd that won't follow government laws anyway. Although the law abiding "Traditional" R/C Modeler has to comply with unworkable legislation no mater what. That's what the AMA LHS's Manufactures sellers, Every AMA member and anyone else concerned with TOY R/C planes should be petitioning the Powers that be
to adhere to the Amendment #336 as congress intended and NOT as the FAA has interpreted $336. But then most people don't care till it way too late to act on their behalf. Then they whine when the crap hits the fan and takes away their TOY's.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:01 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The right time for the AMA to allow FPV flight would have been AFTER the inevitable show down with the Feds.
There was no urgent need to get involved with planes equipped for Drone Ops until after the dust had settled.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:06 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You want a simple differentiation? A model airplane is simply that. A model of an airplane. A drone is not a model of anything. It's simply a flying apparatus that does not resemble any aircraft that has ever been built.
Bill, AMA 4720
Old 12-12-2015, 11:50 AM
porcia83
Banned

If only the politicians could see it so clearly!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.