Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Thanks ama, thanks for nothing!

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Thanks ama, thanks for nothing!

Old 12-14-2015, 10:27 AM
JimmyZep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks ama, thanks for nothing!

So this is what my $75 gets me.

Now Im FORCED to sign zee papers or I cant enjoy this hobby.

What a load of crap!

I just recently got my ama magazine for Dec and if has a ton of drone
crap in it.

Thanks ama

Jimmy
Old 12-14-2015, 11:30 AM
or170b
My Feedback: (3)

your absolutely right!! The AMA has screwed us regular modlers with their drone loving. They wanted to get $$$ from the drone crowd and instead they got us involved!!! I think that we need to demand a resignation from our leadership at the AMA they didn't care about us and we should send them their walking papers!!
Old 12-14-2015, 03:24 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really think the FAA would have ignored traditional model aircraft when they wrote the rules for drones? You live in a dream world.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:28 PM
JimmyZep

Originally Posted by radfordc View Post
You really think the FAA would have ignored traditional model aircraft when they wrote the rules for drones? You live in a dream world.
Thats a damn ****ty thing to say!!!

Jimmy
Old 12-14-2015, 03:47 PM
radfordc

Yes, the truth can be s****y!
Old 12-14-2015, 03:58 PM
Silent-AV8R

Everyone should make their feelings known to their VP as well as the entire EC. Pi$$ing and moaning on this forum is meaningless.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:06 PM
JimmyZep

Yes, the truth can be s****y!
Your statement is not true.

Doing things the right way is not living in a dream world.

Expecting Santa to come down your chimney, that's living in a dream world.

See ya!

And as I stated in other threads, I will not register my planes.

Jimmy
Old 12-14-2015, 07:24 PM
radfordc

There isn't any real reason for you to register your planes...the chances of you being identified and punished are very slim. The FAA doesn't spend much time looking for violators...basically they let people screw up and come to their attention and then nail them with huge fines. They make an example of a few so that the many will make the right choice to avoid punishment.

Me, I will register next week (for free) and continue to fly as always with no worry of ever being singled out by the Government as an example.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:34 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R View Post
Everyone should make their feelings known to their VP as well as the entire EC. Pi$$ing and moaning on this forum is meaningless.
Why not add in the AVPs as well, who are normally appointed by the VPs. While I agree with you in general about the moaning and groaning that goes on here, there is a good way to use this resource, as well as RCG and FG to channel the effort and energy into something more meaningful than a post. As you know the group of 14 started a process a while back to make there feelings known. Without going into great detail, they were well meaning but I suspect their effort will not be as impactful as it could have been. Between these three sites, and maybe the big 3 hobby companies we all deal with, and of course social media and crowdsourcing....I'm at a loss to explain why someone hasn't picked up the ball and run with it. Then again, this announcement was just made today.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:52 PM
kdunlap
My Feedback: (12)

RC Models have been flying for 70 years. Registration has never been an issue. If you read the Final Rule you will see that EVERY argument brought up by AMA was sliced and diced to pieces by the FAA. "Epic fail" as Katy Perry would say. Or as us old guys say ...... AMA got taken to school...... or AMA got caught with its pants down..... or AMA jumped the shark... or AMA was taken to the woodshed. Or how's about.. AMA TOTALLY FAILED ITS MEMBERSHIP!!
Old 12-14-2015, 08:07 PM
kdunlap
My Feedback: (12)

OK... seeing that I am 1 post away from luck #100 and having been an RCU member for 11 years. I want to make it memorable. Let's just say I have never seen model airplane enthusiasts so completely abandoned. Even worse, it is unfathomable that a multi-million dollar association can not assemble or buy the talent necessary to represent the model aviation community with the FAA. The competence of the AMA as an association dedicated to the mission statement "The Academy of Model Aeronautics is a world-class association of modelers organized for the purpose of promotion, development, education, advancement, and safeguarding of modeling activities" is questionable. The big question is: "Is there anybody in Muncie embarrassed by this, as they should be?" Or really... "shouldn't someone be ashamed?"
Old 12-14-2015, 08:57 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R View Post
that it is silent, but it does prove out someone's prediction of what would happen when the new rule was announced.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:37 AM
mike_tx

Last night, after the "notification" of 5.00 for registration, I demanded that they refund my 2016 dues. I am going rogue. I quit my club for 7 years and went rogue. The only reason I joined the club again was the fact i bought a glow engine rc airplane and I can't fly that in my yard or over the street. I am done with the AMA. I am not interested in being in another Government Database.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:22 AM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

I also feel it's time for me to consider a different hobby, I have seen this hobby go to crap at the hands of the AMA in the past 52 years I have been a member. Unfortunately I paid my dues for two years and know I have as little of a chance getting a refund as I have had success in getting my Model Aviation magazine stopped for the past 2 years.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:28 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

Over a year ago I predicted that this would happen. AMA sees a giant pile of money, and even though 99.9% of drone pilots have no reason to join AMA much less a local club, they decide that instead of being happy with our Congressional exemption for traditional model airplanes, they want that money. So, they try to pull the old "Bait and Switch" on the federal government and guess what? It didn't work.

AMA: Oh Mr. Congressman, we're just a bunch of old geezer nerds playing with our harmless little toys with our children and grandchildren out in a field, not harming anyone. Would you please tell the FAA to leave us alone?
Mr. Congressman: Sure nice old man, no problem!
AMA: Thanks sucker! By the way, when we said planes we meant drones flying everywhere all the time too!

By the way, I can go dig up those posts that explicitly said I have nothing against drones per se, but don't think the AMA should get involved. Most of the responses were to tell me I was wrong, saying "we're all brothers in RC". So, how is the "all together gang" feeling today? The AMA spent over $100k to get model airplanes a congressional waiver, then they spent over a million more to get drones included and FAILED. Guess who's going to pay for that? It won't be drone pilots because they aren't members! Nice Job AMA!!!

And just so everyone knows, what the AMA was angling for was a federal "requirement" that drone pilots belong to a CBO, and guess which CBO they were hoping to force them to join? That's why you and me have to register.

Last edited by smithcreek; 12-15-2015 at 05:42 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:59 AM
rgburrill

Received 66 Likes on 61 Posts

For years I and ohters have been telling you people that those who insist on their "fun" by flying FPV out of line of sight were going to create this problem And you ignored it. That is where you should target your anger. Now that registration is here you should stop everyone you see in a park flying these things and ask them if they registered. Let them know they are the problem.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:03 AM
JimmyZep

Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Over a year ago I predicted that this would happen. AMA sees a giant pile of money, and even though 99.9% of drone pilots have no reason to join AMA much less a local club, they decide that instead of being happy with our Congressional exemption for traditional model airplanes, they want that money. So, they try to pull the old "Bait and Switch" on the federal government and guess what? It didn't work.

AMA: Oh Mr. Congressman, we're just a bunch of old geezer nerds playing with our harmless little toys with our children and grandchildren out in a field, not harming anyone. Would you please tell the FAA to leave us alone?
Mr. Congressman: Sure nice old man, no problem!
AMA: Thanks sucker! By the way, when we said planes we meant drones flying everywhere all the time too!

By the way, I can go dig up those posts that explicitly said I have nothing against drones per se, but don't think the AMA should get involved. Most of the responses were to tell me I was wrong, saying "we're all brothers in RC". So, how is the "all together gang" feeling today? The AMA spent over $100k to get model airplanes a congressional waiver, then they spent over a million more to get drones included and FAILED. Guess who's going to pay for that? It won't be drone pilots because they aren't members! Nice Job AMA!!!

And just so everyone knows, what the AMA was angling for was a federal "requirement" that drone pilots belong to a CBO, and guess which CBO they were hoping to force them to join? That's why you and me have to register.
Perfect! You nailed it, well said.

Jimmy
Old 12-15-2015, 08:50 AM
sturmovik60

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesn't how much money you spend you can't fix stupid. Thanks AMA for Kissing the rears of drone fliers and companys. Thanks for wasting our money
Old 12-15-2015, 09:24 AM
foodstick

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You know I think the AMA took the wrong track as well. Especially because the mindset of drone fliers will never make them want to join the AMA and fly at an AMA field.

But the real problem is the govt. The govt. doesn't care what ANY TAXPAYING AMERICAN THINKS ABOUT ANYTHING !

So when huge percentages of the Taxpayers want the country straightened up and they don't listen to us, who really thinks they are going to listen to a relatively tiny group of people like us hobbyists.

Also the real problem the govt. has with hi tech quads is they KNOW it makes THEM at risk ..... and they think of themselves first.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:00 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by kdunlap View Post
RC Models have been flying for 70 years. Registration has never been an issue. If you read the Final Rule you will see that EVERY argument brought up by AMA was sliced and diced to pieces by the FAA. "Epic fail" as Katy Perry would say. Or as us old guys say ...... AMA got taken to school...... or AMA got caught with its pants down..... or AMA jumped the shark... or AMA was taken to the woodshed. Or how's about.. AMA TOTALLY FAILED ITS MEMBERSHIP!!
DITTO !!!!!!!!!
Old 12-15-2015, 10:05 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Here is a thought to consider. The AMA just raised its membership dues. Thus, for every AMA member that registers with the FAA, the " AMA " should pay all future registration fees !

What say you AMA ? You just spent millions and got nothing in return. Now its time to return something to your membership !
Old 12-15-2015, 10:19 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Well said Granpooba,

If we are going to stay with the AMA then The AMA should be paying The fees to the FAA.

But I would bet I will be on the wrong/dirt side of the grass before that happens

Cheers Bob T
Old 12-15-2015, 11:24 AM
radfordc

Everyone seems to believe that if only the AMA had not accepted "drones" into our organization that the FAA would have just ignored us. Guys, that's not how they work. When drones began to be a problem for the FAA they didn't consider that "model airplanes" are different...they said if it's an object in the National Airspace it has to be under our control. Nothing the AMA did or didn't do has affected where we are today.

If you really want to get paranoid think about what will be the outcome when/if a sUAS ever does collide with an airliner and causes a crash. You can kiss your models goodbye then for sure.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:28 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Everyone seems to believe that if only the AMA had not accepted "drones" into our organization that the FAA would have just ignored us. Guys, that's not how they work. When drones began to be a problem for the FAA they didn't consider that "model airplanes" are different...they said if it's an object in the National Airspace it has to be under our control. Nothing the AMA did or didn't do has affected where we are today.

If you really want to get paranoid think about what will be the outcome when/if a sUAS ever does collide with an airliner and causes a crash. You can kiss your models goodbye then for sure.
Been waiting to drop the 'ol +1 and I finally found a post!
Old 12-15-2015, 11:34 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

When drones began to be a problem for the FAA they didn't consider that "model airplanes" are different...they said if it's an object in the National Airspace it has to be under our control. Nothing the AMA did or didn't do has affected where we are today. .

No, we got a law passed to direct the FAA to treat Model Aircraft differently. We then proceeded to sneak the drones in to our "protected" exception, and now the FAA is punishing us.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.