Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Club asking for it's members FAA registration number

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Club asking for it's members FAA registration number

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 08:04 AM
JimmyZep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raptureboy
The club needs to vote on any changes to the bylaws. There is absolutely no reason for the club to require this to be a member. Just one more step toward a totalitarian regime. Each time we give up a right it becomes easier, and easier for the government to take over our lives. If I chose not to register as a protest against this invasion then it's none of the club's business if I do or don't. Until the AMA and FAA make it mandatory for the clubs to maintain this information, tell them to BUZZ OFF! My rod and gun club does not make me prove I have a permit for my guns to belong, so why should my flying club be asking for my FAA #?
I agree 100%.

Jimmy
Old 12-29-2015, 08:25 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How would a club know if a member is giving them a real number or a made up number? Is there going to be a way to verify the number in a data base? I think I would encourage my club to steer clear.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:25 AM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by JPMacG
How would a club know if a member is giving them a real number or a made up number? Is there going to be a way to verify the number in a data base? I think I would encourage my club to steer clear.
The FAA database will be searchable by the assigned number. So anyone with that number in hand will be able to determine if it is real and who it is assigned to.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:17 AM
jamesef91

For the few clubs that own the land they fly on I agree that it should not be necessary for the club to enforce an FAA requirement. For most of the other clubs who lease the land or it is provided by the city or county there will frequently be a clause in the terms of use or lease which prohibits illegal activity, ie. flying unregistered aircraft. I for one would hate to loose the flying site we have so much invested in because a few refuse to comply with the registration requirement. While I disagree with the idea of registering model aircraft, I believe in the case of our club we should comply and require compliance until the issue is resolved.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:20 AM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

Interesting. As I recall when taking flying lessons at the Langley Air Force Base Aero Club, I clearly did not have a license (or registration) but was a dues paying member of the club. The club owned the aircraft (Cessna 150's in those days). I was required to get a ticket from the FCC to use the airplanes radios. Not a big deal, just wrote in and got a radio operations license for aircraft use. But I was not registered by the FAA, I had yet to reach to the point to qualify for a license. The club did require I take the written portion of the licensing process, how to use an EA-6B and various rules and processes. Yet after some lessons, maybe 20 to 30 hours, I soloed and was allowed to take an airplane out in the local area and fly without an instructor. That was not a model airplane, it was a real airplane.

So getting registered seems to be a silly requirement and serves no reasonable need unless it is to be used to prosecute your for some reason as yet not well understood reason. Does the FAA reasonably think they are going to get backyard Drone flyers to register? There are so many gray areas it is unbelievable how stupid the FAA and the DOT are thinking and operating. They seem to be in the "political correctness" mode and have really give little true thought to it. They are just in the "I am the government" and you are not, do as I say do mode.

Clubs should not get in the proactive mode yet. Things are not finalized yet. Just some trigger action by the DOT. Let us not be helpful in doing unreasonable and some what stupid things.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:00 PM
jmiles1941

Originally Posted by JPMacG
you have a 10 digit 7 letters and 3 numbers on mine the card you carry has your name certificate number and the date , your club runs that number thru the data base just like we verify ama members with the ama data base, and you are required to have your card on you
Old 12-29-2015, 05:07 PM
airzona

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
But they also need to understand that we have until February 19, 2016 to comply with the FAA registration requirements.
What happens after Feb 19th?
Old 12-29-2015, 05:08 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by jmiles1941
you have a 10 digit 7 letters and 3 numbers on mine the card you carry has your name certificate number and the date , your club runs that number thru the data base just like we verify ama members with the ama data base, and you are required to have your card on you
One more thing a club secretary will have to deal with, in addition to the chasing the AMA membership information of members too. Hard enough to get people to stand up and take leadership positions. Hope clubs don't jump the gun and make more work for themselves than they need to.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:09 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by airzona
some would say the end of the hobby. After the end of the open registration time I suspect the FAA will be holding more people accountable if something bad happens, fact dependent of course.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:23 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ira d
I received a email today from one of my clubs and they want all members to send them their FAA registration numbers for the clubs records, No other details other than to say that if the FAA backs down they
will delete the numbers. It sounds like the club may have intentions of making FAA registration mandatory when I find out more I will post it.
Didn't the membership vote on it? I'm in two clubs and changes to the By-Laws or Field Rules require a majority vote. I anticipate it will be coming along directly. One of the presidents has already stated "that's between the member and the FAA".
Old 12-29-2015, 07:25 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by TimJ
The club really shouldn't be doing this. AT ALL. It is not required by the AMA or the land lease for the club.

Not sure why what makes you think that. I suspect if the AMA does not win in court on the FAA registration it becomes a requirement specified in the AMA Safety Code.

As it currently sits with the AMA, I've been told the AMA will not be enforcing registration.

I would believe everything you read on a public Internet forum.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:30 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by porcia83
Yup, absolutely correct. I'd push that clubs board to explain under what authority they seem to think they can ask for that information under. I doubt the bylaws address that issue. Ironically they might be doing the same thing they feel the FAA is doing, over reaching.
I'm concerned there could be some potential legal responsibilities here. If the club knows it's required, but doesn't require it, could the club be held liable should an accident occur? I would tend to err on the side of safety.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:33 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by raptureboy
The club needs to vote on any changes to the bylaws. There is absolutely no reason for the club to require this to be a member. Just one more step toward a totalitarian regime. Each time we give up a right it becomes easier, and easier for the government to take over our lives. If I chose not to register as a protest against this invasion then it's none of the club's business if I do or don't. Until the AMA and FAA make it mandatory for the clubs to maintain this information, tell them to BUZZ OFF! My rod and gun club does not make me prove I have a permit for my guns to belong, so why should my flying club be asking for my FAA #?
You'll get over it.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:34 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

The FAA starts going door to door asking folks to register. Make sure you have the coffee and doughnuts ready.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:36 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Charlie P.
Didn't the membership vote on it? I'm in two clubs and changes to the By-Laws or Field Rules require a majority vote. I anticipate it will be coming along directly. One of the presidents has already stated "that's between the member and the FAA".
I'm not sure clubs can legally vote to not follow the law. Do clubs really need rules that say to follow the laws?
Old 12-29-2015, 08:27 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie P.
No we did not, However I suspect our next meeting will be a interesting one.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:32 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
I'm concerned there could be some potential legal responsibilities here. If the club knows it's required, but doesn't require it, could the club be held liable should an accident occur? I would tend to err on the side of safety.
If it turns out that after FEB 19th we still have to register and I think we will I think the club should issue a statement encouraging members to register and leave it at that unless the AMA requires them to do otherwise.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:58 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by ira d
If it turns out that after FEB 19th we still have to register and I think we will I think the club should issue a statement encouraging members to register and leave it at that unless the AMA requires them to do otherwise.
I think my club will make it mandatory for members to provide that information. I'm quite confident the AMA will require it in the near future as well. Why would the AMA's insurance carrier want to pay any claim on behalf of someone operating illegally?
Old 12-30-2015, 04:03 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

I'm not sure clubs can legally vote to not follow the law. Do clubs really need rules that say to follow the laws?
Which law?
Old 12-30-2015, 04:48 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Luchnia
Which law?
Any laws.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:20 AM
rcmiket

Each charter club will be issued 1 paid FAA paper pusher to check papers at every possible flying site ,park.school yard and vacant lot in the continental U.S. Of course it will be the clubs responsibility to pick up the tab.
Of course if your not in compliance "i didn't know" will be a acceptable excuse.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 12-30-2015 at 05:24 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:55 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

A drivers license is required to get to the field, we don't check that.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:55 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Each charter club will be issued 1 paid FAA paper pusher to check papers at every possible flying site ,park.school yard and vacant lot in the continental U.S. Of course it will be the clubs responsibility to pick up the tab.
Of course if your not in compliance "i didn't know" will be a acceptable excuse.

Mike
What's the pay scale look like for that job?
Old 12-30-2015, 05:57 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
What's the pay scale look like for that job?
Contact

https://www.usajobs.gov/

Mike
Old 12-30-2015, 06:01 AM
porcia83
Banned

Yikes......GS10 level.....NICE!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.