Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Four Hundred Feet?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Four Hundred Feet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 06:13 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
That's great, but just because it happens at your field, doesn't mean it happens everywhere. One field we lost in central CA was because the crop dusters didn't want to be bothered by having to adjust their approach to the field in any way.
Is crop dusting is a year round operation at that location?
Old 01-10-2016, 06:38 PM
jelge

That's great, but just because it happens at your field, doesn't mean it happens everywhere. One field we lost in central CA was because the crop dusters didn't want to be bothered by having to adjust their approach to the field in any way.
That is a shame but when your fuel burn calculates into dollars per minute, how much of your profit margin would you be willing to donate to support someone else's hobby? A lot of applications are very time sensitive and minutes can make the difference between being able to get a job done or losing it.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:47 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Not really, I fly 550 size helis and do aerobatics with them. I position myself at the far end of a park so the single entrance point is clearly within my field of view. Its actually hard to miss people even 300 feet away and if they start walking towards me I land.
That's great if your field has a limited access point(s), but when flying in a more open area there's always going to be the area behind you that you cannot see.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:09 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
That's great if your field has a limited access point(s), but when flying in a more open area there's always going to be the area behind you that you cannot see.
I totally agree and I fly at places like that also but not with the big helis.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:27 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by jelge
That is a shame but when your fuel burn calculates into dollars per minute, how much of your profit margin would you be willing to donate to support someone else's hobby? A lot of applications are very time sensitive and minutes can make the difference between being able to get a job done or losing it.
The good news is once the industry transitions to drones for crop dusting services R/C modelers will no longer have the wait at the end of the runway to beg for donations to support our hobby.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:12 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is crop dusting is a year round operation at that location?
Yes. It is more limited during winter months, but there's never a period where it goes to zero.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:14 AM
franklin_m

It's not difficult to look behind you from time to time either. But there are also other senses like hearing.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:18 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Apparently the AMA members didn't care enough to fight for their field.

0WI8 a private restricted airport that has been in existence for for over 85 years has it's days numbered. Thought it was gone 10 years ago when the Owner was selling off the family farm 5/8 of a mile south of our airport and started selling quarter acre lots for $78K to $110K then the housing crisis hit and we got a reprieve. Well 2 years ago a housing area was started 2200 feet to the SSE from where stand to fly and worse yet we fly toward them. We Might be able to keep our R/C field by going all electric. Who Knows.
Didn't care enough to fight for it? Really? It was the owner that allowed us to fly there and then told us we could not anymore. What should we have done, sue him?

However, if you lose your field for the reasons above, is it fair to say that you lost it because "members didn't care enough to fight for their field?"
Old 01-11-2016, 05:30 AM
franklin_m

So your entire justification for "you" to fly at a public school without need for AMA is based solely on your training and flying style? Are you implying no one else should be allowed to fly there due to their lack or training of the fact that they may fly a more demanding flight routine that may affect their situational awareness?

How do you pre-flight for a potential catastrophic servo failure? How about an internal short in a battery? What redundancies have you implemented on your aircraft?

Sounds impressive, but as you're well aware, there's only so much you can do. Additionally, how would you know the limits of you equipment unless you've tested it to the point of failure?

If one's flying style does not allow them to maintain situational awareness of people walking onto the field, how are they to have situational awareness of a full scale plane approaching from their 7 O'Clock? If the flight routine is so demanding that it consumes one's entire cognitive capacity, then they need to have additional mitigations in place to maintain a margin of safety. That could mean larger areas, prohibited airspace where full scale cannot enter, or observer(s).

Aviation safety teaches safety comes from reducing the likelihood of an event, the severity of it if it does happen, or both. You can use mechanical measures or operational measures to mitigate risk. The way I fly, where I fly, and the size of what I fly are all operational mitigations that even if I have a servo failure (which I've had one in ten years), it results in only loss of the aircraft (which is exactly what happened). If you use top of the line equipment and understand the limits, check for flutter, pay attention to reducing vibration, do a thorough preflight every time, and then live by operational limitations - servo failure is not only unlikely, but if it happens you don't hurt anyone.

"Only so much you can do?" Sorry, I don't subscribe to that way of thinking. In my way of training and in 20 years of experience being accountable for the safety performance of my squadron or air station, every accident is preventable.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:14 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

It's not difficult to look behind you from time to time either. But there are also other senses like hearing.
Hearing works great when you're the only one at the field flying a quite electric model with no background noise, however, I doubt that's the case for most of us.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:26 AM
franklin_m

Full video of FAA's Marke Gibson at AMA Expo is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOeoHJZdwuw

What he says with respect to question about 400' (approx 25 min point) is that "It's in review and discussion" and that "I can't say there's going to be any significant change [emphasis added], but it's being discussed right now."
Old 01-11-2016, 06:28 AM
franklin_m

Hearing works great when you're the only one at the field flying a quite electric model with no background noise, however, I doubt that's the case for most of us.
Disagree. Again, if it's too loud to know what's happening around you, then how could you hear an airplane approach from behind you?
Old 01-11-2016, 06:31 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

If one's flying style does not allow them to maintain situational awareness of people walking onto the field, how are they to have situational awareness of a full scale plane approaching from their 7 O'Clock?
there are also other senses like hearing.
You answered your own question in your earlier post.

If the flight routine is so demanding that it consumes one's entire cognitive capacity, then they need to have additional mitigations in place to maintain a margin of safety. That could mean larger areas, prohibited airspace where full scale cannot enter, or observer(s).

Aviation safety teaches safety comes from reducing the likelihood of an event, the severity of it if it does happen, or both. You can use mechanical measures or operational measures to mitigate risk. The way I fly, where I fly, and the size of what I fly are all operational mitigations that even if I have a servo failure (which I've had one in ten years), it results in only loss of the aircraft (which is exactly what happened). If you use top of the line equipment and understand the limits, check for flutter, pay attention to reducing vibration, do a thorough preflight every time, and then live by operational limitations - servo failure is not only unlikely, but if it happens you don't hurt anyone.

If you're using top of the line equipment then the cost of a AMA membership is trivial in comparison and it's certainly not the severe financial hardship you imply. Well, maybe if you consider HK top of the line equipment.

"Only so much you can do?" Sorry, I don't subscribe to that way of thinking. In my way of training and in 20 years of experience being accountable for the safety performance of my squadron or air station, every accident is preventable.
I don't subscribe to your way of thinking. You're never going to be able to completely eliminate risk and you're never going to be able to accurately predict when a failure will occur. Seems all your failure scenarios occurs at the most opportune time and take to mitigate risk, yet the reality is a failure can occur at any time under any conditions.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:37 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Disagree. Again, if it's too loud to know what's happening around you, then how could you hear an airplane approach from behind you?
That's fine, we can agree to disagree agreeably. Unlike yourself, I have first hand experience at R/C fields where background noise has existed. Whether it be construction/farming, grass cutting, generator, noise, other R/C aircraft, full-scale noise, highway noise, etc.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:42 AM
franklin_m

You answered your own question in your earlier post.

I don't subscribe to your way of thinking. You're never going to be able to completely eliminate risk and you're never going to be able to accurately predict when a failure will occur. Seems all your failure scenarios occurs at the most opportune time and take to mitigate risk, yet the reality is a failure can occur at any time under any conditions.
Situational awareness involves ALL senses.

As for the cost thing, you're making the "should" arguement. AMA is a private dues collecting organization and we have a choice to join or not. Just because I "can" afford lots of things, or memberships in lots of organizations, doesn't in any way compel me to spend that money.

As for HobbyKing...geeze. You're really grasping at straws now.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:45 AM
franklin_m

That's fine, we can agree to disagree agreeably. Unlike yourself, I have first hand experience at R/C fields where background noise has existed. Whether it be construction/farming, grass cutting, generator, noise, other R/C aircraft, full-scale noise, highway noise, etc.
I've flown at RC fields in several different states, being military we do move around from time to time.

As for all the noise you mentioned, then again if it's that loud, then by definition it prevents you from hearing the approach of a full scale aircraft - therefore you're unable to avoid it until it comes within your view, at which point it may be too late.

Sounds like you might need some additional support to maintain situational awareness. May I suggest dedicated lookouts - since it's apparently so noisy and distracting at your field.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:05 AM
jelge

The good news is once the industry transitions to drones for crop dusting services R/C modelers will no longer have the wait at the end of the runway to beg for donations to support our hobby.
Maybe... but the good news is we are a long way from drones hauling 500 gallon loads into tight areas so maybe I will be able to retire before I lose the job I love to them.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:13 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Situational awareness involves ALL senses.

I never said it shouldn't. I just pointed out there are naturally occurring factors that can impair those senses.

As for the cost thing, you're making the "should" arguement. AMA is a private dues collecting organization and we have a choice to join or not. Just because I "can" afford lots of things, or memberships in lots of organizations, doesn't in any way compel me to spend that money.

As for HobbyKing...geeze. You're really grasping at straws now.

I'm only following your lead.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:45 AM
franklin_m

I never said it shouldn't. I just pointed out there are naturally occurring factors that can impair those senses. ..
And if the pilot's senses are that easily compromised, then there's no way they can effectively make sure they give way to manned aircraft - given they don't know they're even in the area until they're already in the same airspace where the sUAS is flying (i.e. in front of the pilot).
Old 01-11-2016, 08:06 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

And if the pilot's senses are that easily compromised, then there's no way they can effectively make sure they give way to manned aircraft - given they don't know they're even in the area until they're already in the same airspace where the sUAS is flying (i.e. in front of the pilot).
Seems to me the importance should be consistent with altitude the RC pilots is flying at. But it also seems you're implying anyone who's deaf or hearing impaired shouldn't be be allowed to fly. Is that correct? Why not just go all out and require full-scale medical exams for all RC pilots? Why not throw on a mandatory retirement age as well?
Old 01-11-2016, 08:07 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by jelge
Maybe... but the good news is we are a long way from drones hauling 500 gallon loads into tight areas so maybe I will be able to retire before I lose the job I love to them.
Paradigm shift, 500 gallon loads won't be required.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:24 AM
Sport_Pilot

Paradigm shift, 500 gallon loads won't be required.
Micro drones will use micro insecticide?
Old 01-11-2016, 08:32 AM
franklin_m

Seems to me the importance should be consistent with altitude the RC pilots is flying at. But it also seems you're implying anyone who's deaf or hearing impaired shouldn't be be allowed to fly. Is that correct? Why not just go all out and require full-scale medical exams for all RC pilots? Why not throw on a mandatory retirement age as well?
You've stumbled on an important point. If someone is hearing impaired, how can they be assured of knowing an aircraft is approaching?
Old 01-11-2016, 08:41 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

You've stumbled on an important point. If someone is hearing impaired, how can they be assured of knowing an aircraft is approaching?
I think you've stumbled on an important point as well. If model aviation operations are restricted to 400ft AGL how important is it to maintain altitude awareness? I'm not saying it's not, I'm just wondering how important it is relative to all situational awareness.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:45 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Micro drones will use micro insecticide?
Paradigm shift, drones can collect data for analysis that can identify specific areas that need to be treated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.