Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA Sued In Federal Court Over Drone Registration Rules

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA Sued In Federal Court Over Drone Registration Rules

Old 01-06-2016, 01:30 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan View Post
In the navy
Yes, you can sail the seven seas
In the navy
Yes, you can put your drone to sea
In the navy
Come on people, fall in and be all that you can be
In the navy, in the navy
Can't you see we need a bod,
In the Navy,
You will have fun operating your quad.

Sorry!
Old 01-06-2016, 01:31 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
Hard choice right......? Private practice...or AVP of DJI.
Bottom line, he's no longer on the team.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:36 PM
porcia83
Banned

Right. Is that good or bad in your mind?
Old 01-06-2016, 01:36 PM
franklin_m

Consumer Electronics Show 2016. FAA is there, AMA is not.

http://ces16.mapyourshow.com/7_0/search.cfm
Old 01-06-2016, 01:38 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m View Post
Also noticed that FAA Administrator is at the Consumer Electronics Show. Per their media advisory, "He will be joined by four key UAS Registration Task Force members... [emphasis added]"

Lists those "four key members" as ave Vos, Project Lead for Google X’s Project Wing; Nancy Egan, General Counsel, 3D Robotics; Brendan Schulman, VP of Policy & Legal Affairs for DJI; and Doug Johnson, Vice President of Technology Policy, Consumer Technology Association (CTA)

https://www.faa.gov/news/media_advis...m?newsId=19894
So what is the issue now with who was going to be speaking on the issue? Are those four people not qualified to speak on
"moving ahead with safely integrating UAS into the world’s busiest and most complex airspace, the FAA is constantly looking to identify new education outreach opportunities and leverage the energy and creativity of our safety partners"

Waiting for the other shoe to drop, ie why wasn't the AMA there, aren't they a "key" player etc etc.

Edit...was typing this as you posted the last note...AMA wasn't there, of course. Do they normally attend this? Might be busy gearing up the event they sponsor and host...the AMA Expo?

Last edited by porcia83; 01-06-2016 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:47 PM
porcia83
Banned

Consumer Electronics Show 2016. FAA is there, AMA is not.

http://ces16.mapyourshow.com/7_0/search.cfm
http://amaexpo.com/

AMA there...and FAA there too!
Old 01-06-2016, 01:57 PM
franklin_m

So what is the issue now with who was going to be speaking on the issue? Are those four people not qualified to speak on "moving ahead with safely integrating UAS into the world’s busiest and most complex airspace, the FAA is constantly looking to identify new education outreach opportunities and leverage the energy and creativity of our safety partners"

Waiting for the other shoe to drop, ie why wasn't the AMA there, aren't they a "key" player etc etc.

Edit...was typing this as you posted the last note...AMA wasn't there, of course. Do they normally attend this? Might be busy gearing up the event they sponsor and host...the AMA Expo?
So, I'm a major media company. Where am I going to send reporters, cameras, on-air personalities? AMA Expo in Orange County CA, or the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas?
Old 01-06-2016, 02:05 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot View Post
4oo feet is just 100 feet more than a football field. Most models climb at least 2,000 feet a minute. some a lot faster. If your Hellcat climbs more than a 30 seconds.maybe a lot less then you are definitely over 400 feet.
I'm familiar with the math...I'm in good shape
Old 01-06-2016, 02:09 PM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I'm a major media company. Where am I going to send reporters, cameras, on-air personalities? AMA Expo in Orange County CA, or the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas?
Just so nobody get confused, the AMA Expo is this weekend in Ontario, California almost immediately adjacent to the Ontario airport. Orange County is some 40 miles to the SW of the Expo location.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:16 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R View Post
Just so nobody get confused, the AMA Expo is this weekend in Ontario, California almost immediately adjacent to the Ontario airport. Orange County is some 40 miles to the SW of the Expo location.
Wow...I'm an AMA member and I even gooned that up. Ontario is an even bigger hotbed for media than Orange Country!
Old 01-06-2016, 02:20 PM
porcia83
Banned

So I'm the AMA...do I care where a major media company goes to? What exactly does the AMA need a major media company for again? Do you think they won't get some press out at their event? Are you really putting the AMA show geared to primarily hobbyist in the same category as the CES? Other than some overlap with electronics, there is a huge difference.

Sure, it would be great for them to show up at every event, why not the Toy shows in NYC too? No doubt you'd have a ton of complaints about the AMA spending all the membership dues going from one show to the next, heck they already get blamed for spending money and that's to attend fly-ins etc.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:24 PM
TimJ

The head lines will read "Drone Show in Southern California" ..... ,> LOL
Old 01-06-2016, 02:26 PM
franklin_m

So I'm the AMA...do I care where a major media company goes to? What exactly does the AMA need a major media company for again? Do you think they won't get some press out at their event? Are you really putting the AMA show geared to primarily hobbyist in the same category as the CES? Other than some overlap with electronics, there is a huge difference.

Sure, it would be great for them to show up at every event, why not the Toy shows in NYC too? No doubt you'd have a ton of complaints about the AMA spending all the membership dues going from one show to the next, heck they already get blamed for spending money and that's to attend fly-ins etc.
Major media companies help you get your message out. On camera interviews, etc. Some in AMA complain that media isn't picking up on their side of the story, well I'd argue it's because you're not attending events like CES where media attends in force. As for the toy show? I kinda think they should be there too. As if it's true as some say in these pages that the "toys" are the problem, then why not?

I agree their money shouldn't be to attend fly ins. If they're intent on fighting this FAA thing, then they need to get exposure. You don't get exposure by not attending major events like CES.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:27 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by TimJ View Post
The head lines will read "Drone Show in Southern California" ..... ,> LOL
Unfortunately, the truth is they won't be headlines at all. In fact they'll likely not even be on the first page. The story will be buried somewhere on inside pages, if covered at all.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:29 PM
franklin_m

As for the AMA's lawsuit, they're already zero for one in filings. In October 2010 they filed motion in opposition to Council on Governmental Relations request to hold their case against FAA and all others (AMA's) in abeyance. Judge ruled against them.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:45 PM
porcia83
Banned

Major media companies help you get your message out. On camera interviews, etc. Some in AMA complain that media isn't picking up on their side of the story, well I'd argue it's because you're not attending events like CES where media attends in force. As for the toy show? I kinda think they should be there too. As if it's true as some say in these pages that the "toys" are the problem, then why not?

I agree their money shouldn't be to attend fly ins. If they're intent on fighting this FAA thing, then they need to get exposure. You don't get exposure by not attending major events like CES.
C'mon, how many different ways have they used to get their message out? Press releases, interviews in papers, podcasts, e-mails, etc etc. It's never enough is it? Does anyone involved in this situation NOT realize what their position is? What difference does it make now for them to appeal to the general public, as if they care? Why exactly do they need exposure now? Is the public in charge of ruling on this case, or are the courts?

As for the the fly-ins and exposure, they actually get exposure going to fly ins like the NEAT FAIR, HH Jet Rally in Maine, etc etc. At the end of the day, no matter what they do or don't do, they will be faulted one way or another. Luckily I doubt they take the advice of anyone here otherwise they would be doing a million different things, good and bad.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:46 PM
porcia83
Banned

Unfortunately, the truth is they won't be headlines at all. In fact they'll likely not even be on the first page. The story will be buried somewhere on inside pages, if covered at all.
And even it was on the front page someone would complain about that too! Media hogs, why aren't they back at Muncie doing something more productive etc etc.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:47 PM
porcia83
Banned

As for the AMA's lawsuit, they're already zero for one in filings. In October 2010 they filed motion in opposition to Council on Governmental Relations request to hold their case against FAA and all others (AMA's) in abeyance. Judge ruled against them.
So should they have not done this? Is the outcome always guaranteed in litigation?
Old 01-06-2016, 02:59 PM
init4fun

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

C'mon, how many different ways have they used to get their message out? Press releases, interviews in papers, podcasts, e-mails, etc etc. It's never enough is it? Does anyone involved in this situation NOT realize what their position is? What difference does it make now for them to appeal to the general public, as if they care? Why exactly do they need exposure now? Is the public in charge of ruling on this case, or are the courts?
And who do they send those Emails , podcasts , and other communications to ? Us who are already pretty well aware of the problem ? Having the public on our side could be nothing BUT a plus , public outrage works wonders at times getting the govt. to do the right thing . Tell the public the FAA wants to treat toy planes as real and then ask them just how much further the govt. should reach into folk's lives and being that elections are right around the corner this "big bad govt. run amok" story may just gain a bit of traction ! I live near Boston , , I read the Boston Globe , the Boston Herald , and even the Quincy based Patriot Ledger pretty much every day (hey , old retired guy here , and I like my newspapers ) and not once ever have I seen mention of the AMA in any news articles involving "the FAA and drones" which is how they refer to this when it's printed in a tiny paragraph on page 12 .

And No , before you ask , I have no idea how the AMA should get the mass media to give a few seconds of their precious coverage to us , but then again all I was in life was a simple mechanic , without the luxury of a marketing director like the AMA's got .......

Last edited by init4fun; 01-06-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:40 PM
franklin_m

Ok, but then an EC member should not be complaining in an email to a member (me) that "Did the mainstream media touch our report, no, because they took what the FAA released at face value..."

Maybe it's because the media isn't exposed enough to your side of the issue....
Old 01-06-2016, 03:42 PM
franklin_m

So should they have not done this? Is the outcome always guaranteed in litigation?
Ok, so you're saying it doesn't matter that they've already lost on their first and only decision thus far?
Old 01-06-2016, 03:44 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
And who do they send those Emails , podcasts , and other communications to ? Us who are already pretty well aware of the problem ? Having the public on our side could be nothing BUT a plus , public outrage works wonders at times getting the govt. to do the right thing . Tell the public the FAA wants to treat toy planes as real and then ask them just how much further the govt. should reach into folk's lives and being that elections are right around the corner this "big bad govt. run amok" story may just gain a bit of traction ! I live near Boston , , I read the Boston Globe , the Boston Herald , and even the Quincy based Patriot Ledger pretty much every day (hey , old retired guy here , and I like my newspapers ) and not once ever have I seen mention of the AMA in any news articles involving "the FAA and drones" which is how they refer to this when it's printed in a tiny paragraph on page 12 .

And No , before you ask , I have no idea how the AMA should get the mass media to give a few seconds of their precious coverage to us , but then again all I was in life was a simple mechanic , without the luxury of a marketing director like the AMA's got .......
Yes, the messages they send are primarily to us. To keep the membership updated, and in the loop, and in some cases to even ask for support. Not a completely bad idea given the lack of support shown in these threads. I'm not saying that is my opinion, that's actually what is written here by some, the fact that don't support the AMA, or in some cases are not aware of what the AMA is doing. And so it makes perfect sense to me that they would want to keep AMA members up to date. Of course, they have also spoken to the national media s well, issued press releases for public consumption, and have even written Op-Ed pieces for USA today, hardly a AMA publication.

Regardless, as is evidenced here in threads, there is literally nothing they do that isn't criticized, and now they are being called into question for things that they didn't do, but should of, or events they went to, but those that they didn't etc. I get it, all members aren't happy with them and they want to vent.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:46 PM
porcia83
Banned

Ok, so you're saying it doesn't matter that they've already lost on their first and only decision thus far?
LoL....you ignore the question I asked you, and come to this conclusion based on the question I asked, but you wouldn't answer? Neat trick!
Old 01-06-2016, 03:48 PM
porcia83
Banned

Ok, but then an EC member should not be complaining in an email to a member (me) that "Did the mainstream media touch our report, no, because they took what the FAA released at face value..."

Maybe it's because the media isn't exposed enough to your side of the issue....
Your ability to cherry pick and not provide full context to what you are saying is impressive. Can you provide the full statement there, or did you just want to pick the part that best fits your narrative?
Old 01-06-2016, 04:04 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

At least they filed....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.