Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

CEI Comments to the Federal Aviation Administration regarding Registration and Markin

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

CEI Comments to the Federal Aviation Administration regarding Registration and Markin

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 05:33 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEI Comments to the Federal Aviation Administration regarding Registration and Markin

This is interesting:

https://cei.org/content/cei-comments...g-requirements

https://cei.org/sites/default/files/...20comments.pdf
Old 01-17-2016, 08:11 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, they are right in DC too. Wonder if they will do more than make a commment, ie: pony up some cash and join in the litigation .
Old 01-17-2016, 08:12 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

One reason I'm not registering until the last day possible.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:53 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If they did, why did we not hear of this from the AMA ? Or, does the AMA know nothing of what is happening around them ?
Old 01-17-2016, 01:02 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Granpooba
If they did, why did we not hear of this from the AMA ? Or, does the AMA know nothing of what is happening around them ?
If who did what? The CEI released their comments on Friday afternoon...and they more or less echoed what the AMA has been saying all along. What was AMA supposed to do, rehash what another group already has said that the AMA has previously said?
Old 01-17-2016, 01:36 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
If who did what? The CEI released their comments on Friday afternoon...and they more or less echoed what the AMA has been saying all along. What was AMA supposed to do, rehash what another group already has said that the AMA has previously said?
Just seems like a their is a lot of miscommunication between entities and the AMA " members " are taking the hits.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:08 PM
porcia83
Banned

Not all entities will communicate with each other even if there interests are similar. In this case the CEI is at least a year or more behind the AMA is what they are saying. The only entity that I'm concerned about in terms of communication is the AMA, and for me they have been advising us of their progress all along.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:30 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Not all entities will communicate with each other even if there interests are similar. In this case the CEI is at least a year or more behind the AMA is what they are saying. The only entity that I'm concerned about in terms of communication is the AMA, and for me they have been advising us of their progress all along.
+1. Although I like the CEI's comments, it's not clear who's funding them, who specifically they are representing, and what the intent of their involvement is.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:40 PM
porcia83
Banned

I'm sure if we dug a little we could tell. Probably a front for some extremely wealthy special interest group/family. Has all the markings of an offshoot of the Chamber of Commerce, traditionally conservative right wing small govt free market kinda entity. Not saying that's good or bad before the whole right/left arguments start flying.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:18 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Although I know nothing about CEI, I do share some similar thoughts. Here is a quote from their document: "FAA's claim that UAS present a significant immediate safety risk is highly implausible. 36 FAA also fails to demonstrate how mandating registration by itself particularly with respect to model aircraft, will mitigate UAS safety risk. A registered model aircraft is just as capable as an unregistered one of colliding with another aircraft."

I do agree that the FAA fails to demonstrate how mandating registration by itself will mitigate safety risk. It is BS and typical government hype piled on layers of bloat.

The last sentence in the quote has sort of been my argument against the FAA registration fiasco. I can apply the same logic to non-registered folks - sort of sets the whole registry concept as a waste of taxpayer money. Yikes, did I type that? .

Franklin will probably chime in and set me straight.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:56 AM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by Luchnia
Although I know nothing about CEI, I do share some similar thoughts. Here is a quote from their document: "FAA's claim that UAS present a significant immediate safety risk is highly implausible. 36 FAA also fails to demonstrate how mandating registration by itself particularly with respect to model aircraft, will mitigate UAS safety risk. A registered model aircraft is just as capable as an unregistered one of colliding with another aircraft."

I do agree that the FAA fails to demonstrate how mandating registration by itself will mitigate safety risk. It is BS and typical government hype piled on layers of bloat.

The last sentence in the quote has sort of been my argument against the FAA registration fiasco. I can apply the same logic to non-registered folks - sort of sets the whole registry concept as a waste of taxpayer money. Yikes, did I type that? .

Franklin will probably chime in and set me straight.
I don't recall Franklin saying anywhere that that registration by itself will mitigate safety risk. Nor has DOT, FAA, AMA or anybody with half a brain that has posted in this forum said it will. Dozens of posters have replied to the ghosts that say it will, though.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:18 PM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
I don't recall Franklin saying anywhere that that registration by itself will mitigate safety risk. Nor has DOT, FAA, AMA or anybody with half a brain that has posted in this forum said it will. Dozens of posters have replied to the ghosts that say it will, though.
Ummm.. Here is Question Number 1 from the FAA FAQ on Registration:

Q1. Why do I need to register?A. Federal law requires aircraft registration. Registration helps us ensure safety – for you, others on the ground, and manned aircraft. UAS pose new security and privacy challenges and must be traceable in the event of an incident. It will also help enable the return of your UAS should it be lost.

And this is from the IFR as published by the FAA:

Many of the owners of these new sUAS may have no prior aviation experience and have little or no understanding of the NAS, let alone knowledge of the safe operating requirements. Aircraft registration provides an immediate and direct opportunity for the agency to engage and educate these new users prior to operating their unmanned aircraft, thus helping to mitigate the risk associated with the influx of operations.The risk of unsafe operation will increase as more small unmanned aircraft enter theNAS. Registration will provide a means by which to quickly identify these small unmanned aircraft in the event of an incident or accident involving the sUAS. Registration of small unmanned aircraft also provides an immediate and direct opportunity for the agency to educatesUAS owners on safety requirements before they begin operating.
FAA clearly thinks that registration will impact safety. I personally think that is absurd, but there it is.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:46 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Now here is a REAL CBO

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2580042
Old 01-18-2016, 04:31 PM
cj_rumley

C'mon Silent,
In both of the places you highlighted where it was said that registration helps with safety/risk mitigation it goes on to mention how, that is, traceability/identification of of a small UA in case of an incident. You know full well that this is to enable prosecution of the offenders and so derive some deterrent value, and is intended to support the primary objective of stepping up enforcement action against those that are bringing the law down on responsible model aircraft flyers ( an educational benefit also mentioned) . Most people understand that, and I challenge you cite anyone that has posted in this forum that registration in and of itself will make the NAS safer. AMA/CEI et al legal eagles will doubtless pull sound bites out of context like this, but even given my skepticism of the reasoning of courts, such argument won't fly. It will however impede/delay FAA from taking actions that might lead to some relief from bad PR heat on us "drone operators" are we are now known thanks in part to AMA's redefinition of MA to include drones. Is that a reasonable objective for AMA in your estimation?
Old 01-18-2016, 04:35 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by tailskid
Ol' Earl liked it so much he joined twice!
Old 01-19-2016, 08:51 PM
GBLynden

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tailskid
Thanks! I joined that too
Old 01-19-2016, 09:06 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And here is my CBO OFFICIAL Document....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1270002.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	757.5 KB
ID:	2142471  
Old 01-20-2016, 06:45 AM
Sport_Pilot

There are thousands of comments to the FAA. Do you expect the AMA to tell you of all of them? BTW you can see all of them on the FAA website. Do you expect the AMA to tell members everything? Even though some members are employee's of the FAA?
Old 01-20-2016, 06:46 AM
Sport_Pilot

Thumbs down

Just seems like a their is a lot of miscommunication between entities and the AMA " members " are taking the hits.
So if you feel this way about their comments, why haven't you communicated what your comments are? Why are you contributing to the miscommunication?
Old 01-20-2016, 06:49 AM
Sport_Pilot

I'm sure if we dug a little we could tell. Probably a front for some extremely wealthy special interest group/family. Has all the markings of an offshoot of the Chamber of Commerce, traditionally conservative right wing small govt free market kinda entity. Not saying that's good or bad before the whole right/left arguments start flying.
The national chamber of commerce is a left wing group not right wing.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:19 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
No, incorrect. They contribute to both parties but are far from left leaning. In 2012 90% of their contributions (35million plus) went to conservative Republican or attack ads against dems. Over 50 million was spent in 2014 again over 80% for repubs. What kind of left leaning group would do that?
Old 01-20-2016, 11:35 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
This thread is about the CEI, not the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compet...rise_Institute

Sporty, do you make any attempt to verify or validate anything you state before posting?
Old 01-20-2016, 11:40 AM
porcia83
Banned

Sorry about that, my bad for bringing that group up. Tried to reference them in a comparison, but will stay on point now
Old 01-20-2016, 11:48 AM
Sport_Pilot

No, incorrect. They contribute to both parties but are far from left leaning. In 2012 90% of their contributions (35million plus) went to conservative Republican or attack ads against dems. Over 50 million was spent in 2014 again over 80% for repubs. What kind of left leaning group would do that?
There money did not go to conservative repoublicans. They went to liberal republicans whom I despise almost as much as demoncrats.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:52 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
This thread is about the CEI, not the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compet...rise_Institute

Sporty, do you make any attempt to verify or validate anything you state before posting?
Porcia brought up the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. He called those liberal Harvard *******s conservative, which they are not..