Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

I think I find this repulsive......

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

I think I find this repulsive......

Old 05-04-2016, 06:15 AM
  #51  
Sport_Pilot
 
Sport_Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 16,916
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by CESSNA 421 View Post
Here is a story out of St. Louis.
http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/drone...ters/167104711

I guess this is something the AMA will try and "White Wash" away.
That happened last year! Of course it cannot happen now that drones are registered. I don't see any connection with the AMA at all.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:42 AM
  #52  
franklin_m
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 4,294
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Meanwhile...in terms of keeping members informed:

Last AMA financial statement posted was from 2014
Last AMA Annual Report - Financial Insurance Summary was from 2014
Last AMA Medical Claim History information posted was from 2007
Last AMA Fire/Theft/Vandalism Claim History posted was from 2007
Accepted CDs for tubine signoff not updated since 2013
Last Suspended / Revoked Tubine waivers dates from 2008
sUAS Survey Results, which AMA said "will be posted in April 2014," are not posted.

Why are we paying an ED to be in the top 1.5% of earners in Muncie when fundamental admin processes and membership reports are just not done?
Old 05-04-2016, 06:59 AM
  #53  
franklin_m
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 4,294
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

AMA bylaws require the CFO to provide financial reports not less than annually to the members. Appears we're paying someone to do something that hasn't been done since 2014.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:02 AM
  #54  
rcmiket
 
rcmiket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,276
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by franklin_m View Post
AMA bylaws require the CFO to provide financial reports not less than annually to the members. Appears we're paying someone to do something that hasn't been done since 2014.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/Members...tatements.aspx


I can't make heads or tails out of them though.
Mike
Old 05-04-2016, 07:16 AM
  #55  
franklin_m
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 4,294
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by rcmiket View Post
http://www.modelaircraft.org/Members...tatements.aspx


I can't make heads or tails out of them though.
Mike
What's also there is that their FY ends in December, but they can't get an audited report out to members for another seven months? So they're more than half way through the next FY, and two of four EC meetings, before us "unwashed masses" get a look at financials?
Old 05-04-2016, 08:37 AM
  #56  
RC Pilot 007
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 137
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by franklin_m View Post
Meanwhile...in terms of keeping members informed:

Last AMA financial statement posted was from 2014
Last AMA Annual Report - Financial Insurance Summary was from 2014
Last AMA Medical Claim History information posted was from 2007
Last AMA Fire/Theft/Vandalism Claim History posted was from 2007
Accepted CDs for tubine signoff not updated since 2013
Last Suspended / Revoked Tubine waivers dates from 2008
sUAS Survey Results, which AMA said "will be posted in April 2014," are not posted.

Why are we paying an ED to be in the top 1.5% of earners in Muncie when fundamental admin processes and membership reports are just not done?
u try compare ed salary on location usually location only apply blue coller job like manufactur, full size pilot and other

ed salary based on responsibilty. muncie prolly not even have many white coller job to begin with. how many in muncie ed for large org with 190000 membrs?
Old 05-04-2016, 09:07 AM
  #57  
franklin_m
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 4,294
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by RC Pilot 007 View Post
u try compare ed salary on location usually location only apply blue coller job like manufactur, full size pilot and other
Not in this case, I compared it to all earners. http://www.city-data.com/income/inco...e-Indiana.html

He's in the top 1.5% of all earners, including heads of IU Health, Ball State University, Muncie Schools, to name three. Hardly the same level of responsibility as people making life or death healthcare decisions, running a university, or a network of public schools.

Number of people matter when you're talking about management of day to day tasking. A more meaningful comparison is operating budget, and the three above dwarf AMA.

ED is overpaid, especially when you consider the basic functions of that job aren't getting done - like managing the handful of staff responsible for keeping the above cited information up to date.

Last edited by franklin_m; 05-04-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:16 AM
  #58  
cj_rumley
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Aguanga, CA
Posts: 1,779
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by franklin_m View Post
Not in this case, I compared it to all earners. http://www.city-data.com/income/inco...e-Indiana.html

He's in the top 1.5% of all earners, including heads of IU Health, Ball State University, Muncie Schools, to name three. Hardly the same level of responsibility as people making life or death healthcare decisions, running a university, or a network of public schools.

Number of people matter when you're talking about management of day to day tasking. A more meaningful comparison is operating budget, and the three above dwarf AMA.

ED is overpaid, especially when you consider the basic functions of that job aren't getting done - like managing the handful of staff responsible for keeping the above cited information up to date.
So how much does Joyce Hagar make? She held the job for years. IIRC the going rate for women is 78% of what a man makes for doing the same job.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:29 AM
  #59  
Jaybird
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brunswick, ME
Posts: 1,192
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

NNNNHhhhhhhhhhhh....Drones Goooood!, Drones GOOOOOOOOOD! Yesssss master, DRONES GOOOOOOOD!...NNNhhhhhhhhh. (Walk like Frankenstein... or Frahnk - en -steen if you like Mel Brooks)

Jaybird
Old 05-04-2016, 11:59 AM
  #60  
Sport_Pilot
 
Sport_Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 16,916
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

1.5%? I don't think anyone there makes more than the top 5%? 5% would be about $150,000.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:32 PM
  #61  
RC Pilot 007
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 137
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

all in my club say same thing anyone make more then them over paid

go universety study hard get good pay job

top ama job elected right? so anyone could get it

problme is good pay job requier hard work to many lazy peeps want pay do no work
Old 05-04-2016, 06:03 PM
  #62  
combatpigg
Senior Member
My Feedback: (3)
 
combatpigg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: arlington, WA
Posts: 20,358
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RC Pilot 007 View Post
all in my club say same thing anyone make more then them over paid

go universety study hard get good pay job

top ama job elected right? so anyone could get it

problme is good pay job requier hard work to many lazy peeps want pay do no work
Hey guy, have you wrote any good "Bottom Feeder" related editorials lately...?
Old 05-04-2016, 08:06 PM
  #63  
fragile
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I find this smear campaign on AMA and Drones repulsive.

Let me remind you an incident which happened few years ago when a moron RC pilot deliberately flew his RC power plane into GOODYEAR Blimp over Los Angeles. The gash on the Blimp was extensive. The Blimp had to make an emergency landing!!!

"Happy bleeping Drone Day"

Did you mean Happy blipping Drone Day?
Old 05-05-2016, 05:38 AM
  #64  
RC Pilot 007
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 137
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fragile View Post
I find this smear campaign on AMA and Drones repulsive.

Let me remind you an incident which happened few years ago when a moron RC pilot deliberately flew his RC power plane into GOODYEAR Blimp over Los Angeles. The gash on the Blimp was extensive. The Blimp had to make an emergency landing!!!

"Happy bleeping Drone Day"

Did you mean Happy blipping Drone Day?
+1

did not knew about that cant believe rc plane pilot try to hit blimp and did it intentionellie crazy

wonder how many peeps on blimp or anyone hurt

always blame drone pilot but not rc drone pilot not have good record either crashing into blimp on purpoze

no wonder faa give us hard time
Old 05-05-2016, 06:01 AM
  #65  
rcmiket
 
rcmiket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,276
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fragile View Post
I find this smear campaign on AMA and Drones repulsive.

Let me remind you an incident which happened few years ago when a moron RC pilot deliberately flew his RC power plane into GOODYEAR Blimp over Los Angeles. The gash on the Blimp was extensive. The Blimp had to make an emergency landing!!!

"Happy bleeping Drone Day"

Did you mean Happy blipping Drone Day?
http://articles.latimes.com/1990-10-...goodyear-blimp

Now here's the part that's important.

"Witnesses gave investigators the license number of the plane owner's car, and deputies later arrested John William Moyer, 28, at his Redondo Beach home, where they recovered a damaged Thunder Tiger radio-controlled plane with a 4-foot wing span, a Sheriff's spokesman said.

Moyer was booked at the Carson substation for investigation of assault with a deadly weapon and jailed in lieu of $5,000 bail.

"It wasn't an accident," Harman said. "The plane buzzed the blimp seven or eight times. The pilot and passengers clearly saw it."
The plane then flew away, made a turn and flew directly into the airship's starboard side opening a three-foot diameter hole in the craft's skin, the lieutenant said. A Goodyear official said the skin is made of Dacron impregnated with Neoprene."

This is just how this should have been handled, Paying the price for being a idiot. Now we have the FAA threatening fines along with jail time please show me anyone being busted and fined by the FEDs.
I also wish I knew the actual disposition of this case.

MIke
Old 05-05-2016, 07:19 AM
  #66  
combatpigg
Senior Member
My Feedback: (3)
 
combatpigg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: arlington, WA
Posts: 20,358
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RC Pilot 007 View Post
+1

did not knew about that cant believe rc plane pilot try to hit blimp and did it intentionellie crazy

wonder how many peeps on blimp or anyone hurt

always blame drone pilot but not rc drone pilot not have good record either crashing into blimp on purpoze

no wonder faa give us hard time
I think you already knew about this story..
Old 05-05-2016, 10:17 AM
  #67  
init4fun
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,241
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by combatpigg View Post
I think you already knew about this story..
+1
Old 05-05-2016, 03:50 PM
  #68  
combatpigg
Senior Member
My Feedback: (3)
 
combatpigg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: arlington, WA
Posts: 20,358
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

RC pilot 007 = Greg Hahn
Old 05-05-2016, 04:43 PM
  #69  
aircraftbuilder67
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (6)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Birdsboro, PA
Posts: 29
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Dear Fragile,

I don't think that this has become an AMA or drone smear campaign. There are some who believe that recent bad press caused by those who were caught in the act of making poor decisions has inflicted some unnecessary and burdensome requirements onto the RC community as a whole. Unfortunately, the more recent and publicized incidents have involved drones. There are also those who feel frustrated that the community based RC flying organization that many have belonged to for years has turned to the "new trophy wife" (drones) at the expense of the long term members.

Additionaly, there has been frustration concerning the AMA not following its own bylaws to disclose certain information. Again, this is not a smear to the AMA in my opinion, but it sure can lead one question why this information is not available according to the stipulations set forth by the organization.

Anyone can complain about these problems and proposed solutions have been few. I have my thoughts and shared them for what they are worth. I spend my spare time building or flying, hence a low post count, but quite frankly, I'm concerned about my freedoms and rights in the future and how they may impacted.

I think the AMA was correct to embrace drones, I just happen to think it has been done less than satisfactorily. Your views may differ. I hope this doesn't become a pissing contest between the more traditional rendition of the hobby and the new generation of droners. There is plenty of sky for all.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:12 AM
  #70  
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,269
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by aircraftbuilder67 View Post
Dear Fragile,

I don't think that this has become an AMA or drone smear campaign. There are some who believe that recent bad press caused by those who were caught in the act of making poor decisions has inflicted some unnecessary and burdensome requirements onto the RC community as a whole. Unfortunately, the more recent and publicized incidents have involved drones. There are also those who feel frustrated that the community based RC flying organization that many have belonged to for years has turned to the "new trophy wife" (drones) at the expense of the long term members.

Additionaly, there has been frustration concerning the AMA not following its own bylaws to disclose certain information. Again, this is not a smear to the AMA in my opinion, but it sure can lead one question why this information is not available according to the stipulations set forth by the organization.

Anyone can complain about these problems and proposed solutions have been few. I have my thoughts and shared them for what they are worth. I spend my spare time building or flying, hence a low post count, but quite frankly, I'm concerned about my freedoms and rights in the future and how they may impacted.

I think the AMA was correct to embrace drones, I just happen to think it has been done less than satisfactorily. Your views may differ. I hope this doesn't become a pissing contest between the more traditional rendition of the hobby and the new generation of droners. There is plenty of sky for all.
If you've read the threads here over the past 3 years, you have to come to the conclusion that your fear has been realized. The folks representing what THEY feel is the "TRADITIONAL" hobby have done nothing more than dump on MR. Every bad thing they perceive happening has been blamed on them, and of course the AMA has also been vilified for daring to embrace this new technology, just as they have over 80 years.

The only bright spot here is that nothing these detractors have done will make any difference. They are holding on to the past, and hoping that their vitriol will make any difference, and turn back the clock. It won't.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:34 PM
  #71  
cj_rumley
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Aguanga, CA
Posts: 1,779
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by combatpigg View Post
RC pilot 007 = Greg Hahn
I wondered where he went......I'll always remember him as the inspiration for BFMAC (which does not exist).
Old 05-06-2016, 04:46 PM
  #72  
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Athol, ID
Posts: 2,155
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Most of the bad PR related to Drones is well earned...nuff said!
Old 05-06-2016, 05:33 PM
  #73  
RC Pilot 007
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 137
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

who greg hahn?
Old 05-06-2016, 05:35 PM
  #74  
combatpigg
Senior Member
My Feedback: (3)
 
combatpigg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: arlington, WA
Posts: 20,358
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cj_rumley View Post
I wondered where he went......I'll always remember him as the inspiration for BFMAC (which does not exist).
If RC007 isn't Greg Hahn, I'll bet he can at least shed some light on where Hahn went...!
Old 05-07-2016, 04:48 AM
  #75  
RC Pilot 007
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 137
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rcmiket View Post
http://articles.latimes.com/1990-10-...goodyear-blimp

Now here's the part that's important.

"Witnesses gave investigators the license number of the plane owner's car, and deputies later arrested John William Moyer, 28, at his Redondo Beach home, where they recovered a damaged Thunder Tiger radio-controlled plane with a 4-foot wing span, a Sheriff's spokesman said.

Moyer was booked at the Carson substation for investigation of assault with a deadly weapon and jailed in lieu of $5,000 bail.

"It wasn't an accident," Harman said. "The plane buzzed the blimp seven or eight times. The pilot and passengers clearly saw it."
The plane then flew away, made a turn and flew directly into the airship's starboard side opening a three-foot diameter hole in the craft's skin, the lieutenant said. A Goodyear official said the skin is made of Dacron impregnated with Neoprene."

This is just how this should have been handled, Paying the price for being a idiot. Now we have the FAA threatening fines along with jail time please show me anyone being busted and fined by the FEDs.
I also wish I knew the actual disposition of this case.

MIke

maybe all rc pilot need brain check so no happen again maybe ama offer discount test and faa happy

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.