Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA EC April 2016 minutes

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA EC April 2016 minutes

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 03:48 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA EC April 2016 minutes

http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutam...ecminutes.aspx

Here are the minutes from the April meeting. For anyone interested.

Mike
Old 05-18-2016, 03:54 AM
rcmiket

"Rich Hanson reported on his call with the FAA regarding FPV racing. The FAA is looking to the Academy to manage the activity; bringing the community together and standardizing the rules, specifically the safety aspect of the rules. The FAA indicated if this turns into an actual professional sport, they wanted the Academy to be the sanctioning body. If AMA is not going in that direction they need to know so they can look to another organization to do that. Council was in agreement to move in that direction. Hanson noted the FAA has a long-standing position that if you are flying for money as a prize, this does not make it a commercial operation. The FAA is familiar with AMA’s documents 550/560; they are interested in seeing a set of racing documents/rules. The President will take the lead on this."

I'm having a hard time with this. The FAA would not let the AMA do something as simple as using our AMA numbers as a registration number ( which by the way has dropped off the radar) and "protect" what we had but is going to let the AMA run drone racing?

Mike
Old 05-18-2016, 04:32 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

I'm not sure how the AMA could pull this off if it's considered a commercial operation. However, it's good to see the FAA has the confidence in the AMA to recommend they do it.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:21 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
"Rich Hanson reported on his call with the FAA regarding FPV racing. The FAA is looking to the Academy to manage the activity; bringing the community together and standardizing the rules, specifically the safety aspect of the rules. The FAA indicated if this turns into an actual professional sport, they wanted the Academy to be the sanctioning body. If AMA is not going in that direction they need to know so they can look to another organization to do that. Council was in agreement to move in that direction. Hanson noted the FAA has a long-standing position that if you are flying for money as a prize, this does not make it a commercial operation. The FAA is familiar with AMA’s documents 550/560; they are interested in seeing a set of racing documents/rules. The President will take the lead on this."

I'm having a hard time with this. The FAA would not let the AMA do something as simple as using our AMA numbers as a registration number ( which by the way has dropped off the radar) and "protect" what we had but is going to let the AMA run drone racing?

Mike
What is troubling about the FAA wanting the premier hobby organization being responsible for ensuring safe operation of FPV/quad racing?

The FAA is looking to the Academy to manage the activity; bringing the community together and standardizing the rules, specifically the safety aspect of the rules.

Seems like a good thing no?This is somehow bad, because they wouldn't let the AMA use our numbers instead of theirs? How is this related? Could it have anything to do with the costs associated with reprogramming the system?So was there any good news in the minutes?
Old 05-18-2016, 07:54 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Mike
Using our AMA number as our FAA registration number is the least of our problems with the FAA. I print my AMA/FAA numbers using a label maker so it was simply a matter of adding another line to the label and clicking print. We have much bigger issues to worry about with the FAA.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:02 AM
Sport_Pilot

Mike
Registration has not dropped off the radar. I believe it is in court.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:43 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Registration has not dropped off the radar. I believe it is in court.

Using our AMA # rather than the FAA number is in court? That's news to me.

Mike
Old 05-18-2016, 01:55 PM
porcia83
Banned

Mike
That's not what he said.......he never referenced the AMA versus the AMA number.

The issue of registration is still being litigation, and the AMA continues to try to work out an arrangement with the FAA to allow us to use our AMA numbers.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:28 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Mike
OMG. not everyone who flies is required to belong to the AMA so the registration system had to be set up anyway. It's bad enough to expect a Federal Government Agency to keep track of one set of numbers, much less two.
Some of you can make such a stupid mountain out of a molehill
Old 05-18-2016, 02:31 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Drone Zone?

Drone Zones and Cities Initiative: T. Stillman created cards which will be mailed to city officials, city managers, parks & recreation, county commissioners, etc. The cards will point them to the website (why.modelaircraft.org/drones) to explain why they would want to create a drone zone in their town. The plan is to do a limited launch to park & recreation officials in the next couple of weeks to get a response and then move forward with groups Headquarters feels would be interested. At the end of the website, they are instructed to contact Tony and he will work with clubs or modelers in the area to aid in developing these sites. Stillman will do a push email to clubs notifying them of the initiative. E. Williams noted that there are MultiGP chapters across the country, many of which are AMA clubs, that could be helpful.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:21 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by ltc
Drone Zone?

Drone Zones and Cities Initiative: T. Stillman created cards which will be mailed to city officials, city managers, parks & recreation, county commissioners, etc. The cards will point them to the website (why.modelaircraft.org/drones) to explain why they would want to create a drone zone in their town. The plan is to do a limited launch to park & recreation officials in the next couple of weeks to get a response and then move forward with groups Headquarters feels would be interested. At the end of the website, they are instructed to contact Tony and he will work with clubs or modelers in the area to aid in developing these sites. Stillman will do a push email to clubs notifying them of the initiative. E. Williams noted that there are MultiGP chapters across the country, many of which are AMA clubs, that could be helpful.
I believe that's called being proactive. Trying to get involved with city and town officials to show them how the AMA can work with them to create perhaps a safe place to fly...rather than the alternative which is to ban MR, and helis, and possibly all RC from a given area. Which has already happened.

Is there another viable alternative?
Old 05-18-2016, 03:30 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by rgburrill
OMG. not everyone who flies is required to belong to the AMA so the registration system had to be set up anyway. It's bad enough to expect a Federal Government Agency to keep track of one set of numbers, much less two.
No ones making a " mountain out of a mole hill " it was rather simple question. Now the FAA won't even recognize the AMA as a CBO but they are going to have the "Academy to manage the activity; bringing the community together and standardizing the rules, specifically the safety aspect of the rules."

Now if that's the case why are they not out in charge of the whole shebang? Then the FAA can tend to important stuff.

MIke
Old 05-18-2016, 03:36 PM
porcia83
Banned

No ones making a " mountain out of a mole hill " it was rather simple question. Now the FAA won't even recognize the AMA as a CBO but they are going to have the "Academy to manage the activity; bringing the community together and standardizing the rules, specifically the safety aspect of the rules."

Now if that's the case why are they not out in charge of the whole shebang? Then the FAA can tend to important stuff.

MIke
Source?
Old 05-18-2016, 04:42 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

MIke
The most simple and most efficient approach would have been for the FAA to recognize AMA members to already be registered for the FAA's stated purpose..
Old 05-18-2016, 05:05 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by combatpigg
The most simple and most efficient approach would have been for the FAA to recognize AMA members to already be registered for the FAA's stated purpose..
Ya think? I'm at the point where I don't believe a word I read or hear out of Muncie, from the inflated misleading membership numbers to the wholesale BS communications about how great things are going with the FAA.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 05-18-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:08 PM
porcia83
Banned

Right, and how again where those numbers going to be entered into the FAA's database which was set up for different numbers. And how again is the AMA at fault for the FAA not agreeing to something they wanted?

Ya think? I'm at the point where I don't believe a word I read or hear out of Muncie, from the inflated misleading membership numbers to the wholesale BS communications about how great things are going with the FAA.

Mike
Inflated misleading membership numbers, really? You base this on what exactly? Absolutely nothing to show that's the case, nothing. Same for the wholesale BS comment about how great things are going with the FAA, they have never once said that, or even close to it. Although they don't exist, I'll ask for sources?

Just more of the same narrative, AMA=Bad. Now they are accused of intentionally lying to the membership. I thought the salary shaming, then the great misspelled word on the webpage debacle, and finally the Pinghazi issues were the lows, I guess we have farther to go.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:09 AM
Sport_Pilot

Mike
Not just that but registration in general. But never mind it was thrown out.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:11 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rgburrill
The registration itself is a mountain from a molehill. Not slowing down the stupid drone news either.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:13 AM
Sport_Pilot

MIke
Won't recognize the AMA as a CBO? The FAA's statement you posted does just that.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:15 AM
Sport_Pilot

Mike
I believe their membership numbers to be accurate. Well for last year anyway. I expect 2016 numbers to be higher. How could you accuse them of lying?
Old 05-19-2016, 05:20 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

MIke
Why should they be in charge of the whole "shebang"? How/where does it fit in their mission statement? What if they had to hire more resources to run the "shebang"? Then folks would complain even more about AMA salaries going to support multirotor activities.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:24 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

That really depends on who's perspective you're viewing this from. The FAA already has their system in place with lots of folks registered. Integrating an additional system would be more work for the FAA. Thus, from the FAA's perspective what they already have in place is the simplest and most efficient approach.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:48 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Why should they be in charge of the whole "shebang"? How/where does it fit in their mission statement? What if they had to hire more resources to run the "shebang"? Then folks would complain even more about AMA salaries going to support multirotor activities.
In what I'm sure you'll find shocking, I actually have no problem with AMA being involved provided (1) membership is not mandatory, and (2) any staff hired or used for the purpose are supported by revenue raised exclusively from the activities they're supporting (i.e. it's self sustaining). Idea being that if revenues drop, the staff support drops. If it succeeds, great. If it fails to sustain, then it doesn't become a drain on other AMA resources - i.e. we're not asked to subsidize it. For shared resources, i.e. they need something out of a staffer at HQ but it doesn't support an FTE, then that program would pay a percentage of that person's salary based on how much of their time is billed to that purpose.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:50 AM
franklin_m

Mike
I do the same...there's certainly spin for the consumption of the membership. I suppose I don't blame them, it's really tough for organizations under threat to be completely honest with their members.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:21 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I do the same...there's certainly spin for the consumption of the membership. I suppose I don't blame them, it's really tough for organizations under threat to be completely honest with their members.
That's a new one...."under threat" ........from where, and since when? Source? Data to support that, other than perhaps the "poll" answered by a few hundred people?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.