Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Drone VS Aircraft - Mid Air Collisions

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Drone VS Aircraft - Mid Air Collisions

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 08:23 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
Yep , here it is right here folks , the total collapse of the other side's point , the tacit admission that laws are laws whether we like the wording of them or not , and to them only "model citizens" (read Nerds) follow laws , right ? Smart people , like the people Mike mentioned with the CB radios , pushed back and got the law changed , all the while most of em DID have their FCC required callsigns I know so cause I was involved with the CB hobby at the time ! And yes Mike , If I can dig up a picture of it , I still have my first CB after all these years , but then I'll be too far off topic for some .

So let's see , It seems the general consensus is that the law needs work and is a bit TOO far reaching in it's present form . But , right now today , it seems , as written , the law does right now require reporting just as Franklin said it did . Now , whether we like the law's wording or not , Franklin is STILL 100% correct in his assertion that the second degree burns received by the jet in the incident mentioned 4 pages back were supposed to be reported under the present language of the law .

See how easy that was ? and it only took 4 pages , a record for the AMA forum for sure ........
Totally!

How did Franklin measure and conclude those second degree burns were > 5% of the victims body?
Old 07-12-2016, 08:25 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Again laws and regulations are not the same. The FBI cannot even investigate you for any violation of a regulation only the agency that published the regulation can do that. Most agencies cannot imprision you and then only if backed by a law. As I said the NTSB is not requiring that we report model airplane accidents though they will take your report.
Come on Sporty, don't rain on his parade. He can believe whatever he wants. If they're so sure of themselves why haven't they contacted the NTSB yet to report a failure to report?
Old 07-12-2016, 08:37 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh thread purity , why hast thou forsaken me so !!!!
Finally, the emoticons return, for a minute there you sounded upset. Nothing to really get that upset about in these threads is there?
Old 07-12-2016, 08:50 AM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Drones vs aircraft - midair collisions? Anybody?
Old 07-12-2016, 08:59 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1974
Drones vs aircraft - midair collisions? Anybody?
here is what I have gotten from the thread so far.

1. Drone collision with aircraft less likely then bird strike.
2. Any collision with aircraft is bad.
3. There has not been a collision between full scale and MR at this time.
4. Things are being done to mitigate bird strikes but nobody seems to know any details.
5. If I witness any MR operation in a restricted location or in an unsafe manner I'm calling 911
6. What has been done up to this point to keep MR aircraft out of restricted areas has been of little value.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:02 AM
TimJ

http://www.cnn.com VIDEO drones-airplanes-collision-faa-TESTING-ar-origwx.cnn ^^^^--Click the link.

Last edited by TimJ; 07-12-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:08 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie

6. What has been done up to this point to keep MR aircraft out of restricted areas has been of little value.
1. There have been several programs to teach people about safety.
2. Manufactures of GPS drones have started installing "Geo Fencing" technology into their products
Old 07-12-2016, 09:10 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Thanks for sharing! Real physics to boot! Lots of advanced testing and no signs of anyone looking for answers on a public Internet forum, imagine that.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:10 AM
Sport_Pilot

It didn't work for me. But I did see that they put it in the right cagabory,--Politics.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:11 AM
porcia83
Banned

Oh look , right on time .

So I guess this IS the admission that Franklin's point IS correct !

Time for the hasty retreat back to the safety and sanctity of "thread purity"

How can you honestly take yourself seriously with such , pedestrian , tactics ?
Speaking of right on time and banging away on the keyboard. In this case I didn't say anything close to Fraklin being right. I think he is going to the far reaches of reality to try to find yet another issue to bring into this thread that he can find some blame to lay at the feet of the AMA. And he has admitted he holds them accountable for not complying with this alleged law as it pertains to the hobby. He is wrong, that's my opinion.

But if you are so sure he is right, let us know when you present this at your next club as a new protocol and do let us know how it's accepted.

You are in complete agreement with him on this right? Couldn't remember if you answered that or not.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:12 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Totally!

How did Franklin measure and conclude those second degree burns were > 5% of the victims body?
Read the 49 USC 830.2 definition of "Serious injury" and note the punctuation. It says "; or (5) involves second- or third-degree burns, or ... [emphasis added]"

The thing about the 5% comes after the last ",or" above. Pretty straightforward sentence structure.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...dno=49;cc=ecfr
Old 07-12-2016, 09:19 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Read the 49 USC 830.2 definition of "Serious injury" and note the punctuation. It says "; or (5) involves second- or third-degree burns, or ... [emphasis added]"

The thing about the 5% comes after the last ",or" above. Pretty straightforward sentence structure.

Indeed. So a microscopic second degree burn is applicable.

Have you notified the NTSB of the alleged failure to report?
Old 07-12-2016, 09:22 AM
mike1974

1. Drone collision with aircraft less likely then bird strike.
2. Any collision with aircraft is bad.
3. There has not been a collision between full scale and MR at this time.
4. Things are being done to mitigate bird strikes but nobody seems to know any details.
5. If I witness any MR operation in a restricted location or in an unsafe manner I'm calling 911
Good summary! I fly fixed wing fpv in a pretty remote area. I have said this before, but it would be nice if the FAA gave me and others a reasonable option to fly legally instead of just saying no. That obviousley does not work. I would be willing to get certified (I already have my private license) and put a ADS device on my plane so I can be seen by radar. There are a lot of people who fly fpv and it is just sad the FAA feels like "no" is the right answer and it is not working.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:22 AM
mike1974

Cool video. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2016, 09:23 AM
porcia83
Banned

1. Drone collision with aircraft less likely then bird strike. Absolutely correct. Currently available data validates that 100%.
2. Any collision with aircraft is bad. Absolutely, the rabbits and turtles that have struck airplanes have caused damage. Even the plastic bag that was reported to have been a drone might have caused damage if ingested into the fans.
3. There has not been a collision between full scale and MR at this time. Not a single one. 0.0 And these have been flying for at least 10 years. Prior to geofencing, stab systems, etc.
4. Things are being done to mitigate bird strikes but nobody seems to know any details. Those not willing to do some legwork will no doubt be out of the loop on the numerous and varied mitigation programs already in place, and have been for years. Even Franklin knows about those. Are you of the belief that nothing has ever been done to keep not only birds, but wildlife away from airports?
5. If I witness any MR operation in a restricted location or in an unsafe manner I'm calling 911 Not a bad idea, if you see something say something. Best not try to take matters into your own hands either, let the pros take care of it. If the perp has done something wrong, he should pay the full price for his actions, either with criminal charges and/or fines. Significant ones too (commensurate with the infraction).
Not sure how you arrived at the last conclusion. If the numbers of MR being sold are correct, it's around 400k (give or take). How many incidents a day, week, month, or year are being reported that indicate they are flying in "restricted" areas? It doesn't appear you have all the data to validate that as fact, but I can't argue it as opinion. The amount of flights would also be needed in the equation to get a better idea, at least IMO. Let's not forget folks flying "traditional" or fixed wing aircraft were the first ones to be seen flying in "restricted" areas well before MR were. As always, it's not the aircraft, it's the pilot that's the issue.

7. There are at least 3, possibly 4 amigos in this thread.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:25 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m

What took so long to bring this to light? Honestly, did you feel all along (at least the past 10 years) that this was the case or did this just come up as an issue?
Old 07-12-2016, 09:26 AM
porcia83
Banned

It didn't work for me. But I did see that they put it in the right cagabory,--Politics.
lol..good catch. Would have thought that would have been entered in the Science or Technology tabs.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:27 AM
Sport_Pilot

Indeed. So a microscopic second degree burn is applicable.

Have you notified the NTSB of the alleged failure to report?
Even it he did he would not be able to lay it at the feet of the AMA. It would be the club or SIG putting on the event that would be responsible.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:28 AM
porcia83
Banned

Even it he did he would not be able to lay it at the feet of the AMA. It would be the club or SIG putting on the event that would be responsible.
All roads lead to AMA......
Old 07-12-2016, 09:31 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by mike1974
Good summary! I fly fixed wing fpv in a pretty remote area. I have said this before, but it would be nice if the FAA gave me and others a reasonable option to fly legally instead of just saying no. That obviousley does not work. I would be willing to get certified (I already have my private license) and put a ADS device on my plane so I can be seen by radar. There are a lot of people who fly fpv and it is just sad the FAA feels like "no" is the right answer and it is not working.
I think they are trying to work out something commercially. Not sure if this is a priority. larger UAF flying in controlled airspace with full scale may be a higher priority. Someday we will be flying in large Boeing and Airbus UAV's. Drones with brains flying stupid people around. Robots will take over the world.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:31 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

So did porcia83!
Old 07-12-2016, 09:34 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Let see him try....
Old 07-12-2016, 09:36 AM
porcia83
Banned

I think they are trying to work out something commercially. Not sure if this is a priority. larger UAF flying in controlled airspace with full scale may be a higher priority. Someday we will be flying in large Boeing and Airbus UAV's. Drones with brains flying stupid people around. Robots will take over the world.
yup, automation is coming. Look at what the latest model of Boeing 787 can do....amazing and scary!
Old 07-12-2016, 09:37 AM
porcia83
Banned

So did porcia83!
that guy takes himself so seriously, with such, pedestrian, tactics.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:37 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by porcia83
Not sure how you arrived at the last conclusion. If the numbers of MR being sold are correct, it's around 400k (give or take). How many incidents a day, week, month, or year are being reported that indicate they are flying in "restricted" areas? It doesn't appear you have all the data to validate that as fact, but I can't argue it as opinion. The amount of flights would also be needed in the equation to get a better idea, at least IMO. Let's not forget folks flying "traditional" or fixed wing aircraft were the first ones to be seen flying in "restricted" areas well before MR were. As always, it's not the aircraft, it's the pilot that's the issue.

7. There are at least 3, possibly 4 amigos in this thread.

The number of MR craft are in the millions, the number of registered sUAV to include model airplanes is 400K.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.