Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Drone VS Aircraft - Mid Air Collisions

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Drone VS Aircraft - Mid Air Collisions

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 09:42 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porcia83
7. There are at least 3, possibly 4 amigos in this thread.

Tres amigos uno compadre!
Old 07-12-2016, 09:45 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
The number of MR craft are in the millions, the number of registered sUAV to include model airplanes is 400K.
Agree. No doubt there are more sold then registered. However....keep in mind some MR folks have the same illness "traditional" fixed wing folks do...can't have just one. I know a guy who has 10 of them. They all look pretty similar to me, but what do I know.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:48 AM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they are trying to work out something commercially. Not sure if this is a priority. larger UAF flying in controlled airspace with full scale may be a higher priority. Someday we will be flying in large Boeing and Airbus UAV's. Drones with brains flying stupid people around. Robots will take over the world.
Ha ha!!! So true. lol. Ya, the commercial license is still 400ft or below and within los. You can fly for profit though and get a waiver to blos and higher than 400ft for a specific job. At least that is my understanding. I am looking for a way to fly blos and break 400ft legally without jumping through 800 hoops and taking 5 weeks for approval.. If there was a way to put a xponder on fpv planes then we could be seen by radar. Problem solved. I just don't get why flying fpv blos is any different than flying around in a Piper Cub or some ultralight with no xponder. They are still flying around the sky with no way to be seen. Oh well.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:50 AM
mike1974

Tres amigos uno compadre!
Awww! Thanks!
Old 07-12-2016, 09:51 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Not sure how you arrived at the last conclusion. If the numbers of MR being sold are correct, it's around 400k (give or take). How many incidents a day, week, month, or year are being reported that indicate they are flying in "restricted" areas? It doesn't appear you have all the data to validate that as fact, but I can't argue it as opinion. The amount of flights would also be needed in the equation to get a better idea, at least IMO. Let's not forget folks flying "traditional" or fixed wing aircraft were the first ones to be seen flying in "restricted" areas well before MR were. As always, it's not the aircraft, it's the pilot that's the issue.

7. There are at least 3, possibly 4 amigos in this thread.

the 6th is based mainly on observation. Back to my 4th of July experience. When 5 multi rotor aircraft are flying over historical landmarks, near heliports and the state Capitol there is a clear issue and from the general publics perspective what is being done is not enough.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:56 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by mike1974
Ha ha!!! So true. lol. Ya, the commercial license is still 400ft or below and within los. You can fly for profit though and get a waiver to blos and higher than 400ft for a specific job. At least that is my understanding. I am looking for a way to fly blos and break 400ft legally without jumping through 800 hoops and taking 5 weeks for approval.. If there was a way to put a xponder on fpv planes then we could be seen by radar. Problem solved. I just don't get why flying fpv blos is any different than flying around in a Piper Cub or some ultralight with no xponder. They are still flying around the sky with no way to be seen. Oh well.

Mike, my thought is that somone flying around in a full scale experimental aircraft is more able to exercise " see and avoid " better then somone flying from the ground via FPV. I have flown a friends FPV aircraft and found my peripheral vision quite compromised.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:59 AM
mike1974

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
the 6th is based mainly on observation. Back to my 4th of July experience. When 5 multi rotor aircraft are flying over historical landmarks, near heliports and the state Capitol there is a clear issue and from the general publics perspective what is being done is not enough.
Agree. And I do not agree with that type of flying whether it be fixed wing fpv or multi rotor.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:12 AM
porcia83
Banned

Gotcha.

Another thing, I'll be interested to see in the coming months, perhaps years how many state and local officials are going to run afoul of some of the guidelines they will be required to enforce. More and more cities are starting to buy MR and incorporate them into different workflows. One specific example are police departments. All kinds of possible issues there.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:13 AM
TimJ

All roads lead to AMA......
"All of your fields are belong to us"

^^ Only some of you will understand the above reference. ^^

via Imgflip Meme Generator
Old 07-12-2016, 10:18 AM
porcia83
Banned

Mike, my thought is that somone flying around in a full scale experimental aircraft is more able to exercise " see and avoid " better then somone flying from the ground via FPV. I have flown a friends FPV aircraft and found my peripheral vision quite compromised.
Agree...i found vision and situational awareness severely compromised and limiting when I did it. Technologically cool...but not what I prefer. And that was with a slower, Bixler type of aircraft. How the FPV racers do it is completely beyond me.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:19 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by TimJ
"All of your fields are belong to us"

^^ Only some of you will understand the above reference. ^^

via Imgflip Meme Generator
LOL...good times. Takes me back to the Gravitar days!
Old 07-12-2016, 10:25 AM
mike1974

I agree to a point. All my "real" flying has been done in a C152 and C172 While I can look around quicker, the high wing really limits your view. I have an overall far greater 360 up/down view of what is around me in my fpv plane. No high wings in the way and no cockpit obstructions (ceiling, pillars, panel, etc.) in the way. I also have a downward camera I can switch to with the flick of a switch. If you have a good setup, you can get a pretty good, clear fpv picture. What you do not have is the human elemnet in the plane or the quality of real life vision. At least not yet. You can also setup head tracking so you can have real time pan/tilt with the movement of your head just like in real life. At that point the only thing that is not better than a real plane is the ADS (assuming the real plane even has one) and the visual quality.

Here is a video showing the the visual openness of no cockpit and head tracking capabilities. Not me, just found video on the Tube. I don't post vids or pics of my flights. For my personal viewing only. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYtF3b4R8ws

Not arguing, just trying to give my honest perspective.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:28 AM
mike1974

Agree...i found vision and situational awareness severely compromised and limiting when I did it. Technologically cool...but not what I prefer. And that was with a slower, Bixler type of aircraft. How the FPV racers do it is completely beyond me.
Dang porcia! We are going to have to disagree. Setup correctly, the field of vision is vastly superior in an fpv plane.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:37 AM
porcia83
Banned

Dang porcia! We are going to have to disagree. Setup correctly, the field of vision is vastly superior in an fpv plane.
I guess I'm being pedestrian, again . my apologies. Granted it was a few years ago and the techology has changed. Saw a set of goggles/headset this weekend that was crystal clear, amazing really.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:37 AM
speedracerntrixie

Mike, I am not saying there aren't setups like that out there such as yours that can offer really good 360 degree vision. My comments were based on what I have seen the " average " FPV setup to be. As always there are exceptions to everything.

as far as FPV racing goes. I think it is cool as I am a racing kind of guy and I too simply can't comprehend the skill involved in some of the videos I have seen. It probibly comes down to the same thing I preach concerning fixed wing flying. Get your setup dialed in and then practice, practice, practice.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:57 AM
mike1974

I guess I'm being pedestrian, again . my apologies. Granted it was a few years ago and the techology has changed. Saw a set of goggles/headset this weekend that was crystal clear, amazing really.
Mike, I am not saying there aren't setups like that out there such as yours that can offer really good 360 degree vision. My comments were based on what I have seen the " average " FPV setup to be. As always there are exceptions to everything.

as far as FPV racing goes. I think it is cool as I am a racing kind of guy and I too simply can't comprehend the skill involved in some of the videos I have seen. It probibly comes down to the same thing I preach concerning fixed wing flying. Get your setup dialed in and then practice, practice, practice.
Porcia, ya, they are coming out with HD multi channel video feed setups for quad racing. Really amazing! http://www.getfpv.com/the-connex-pro...ision-kit.html This stuff is geared for the fpv racing crowd. Nothing like that yet for long range fpv; at least not that I am aware of at a reasonable price.

Speed, I understand what you are saying. I would say the average setup has a single flight cam on a 180 servo.

I have a 250 fpv racing quad that I can kinda, sorta rip around. lol. Some of those guys have some incredible skill! I don't fly it very often as I just seem to be a fixed wing guy. It was fun researching and building it and doing all the configuration; then I just kind of lost interest. Maybe if there were other people around to race with it might be a little more fun. I still have a 450 electric heli and used to have a .30 glow heli. It just seems to sit there. I always find myself going back to fixed wing whether it be glow or electric.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:37 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:42 AM
init4fun

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:45 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by init4fun
Recognizing our faults is the first step toward recovery ......
Physician heal thyself.......
Old 07-12-2016, 11:56 AM
mike1974

Wanna bet , in the next few years , on which type will get caught/fined more , the Multirotor or the Fixed Wing ?

I have MY suspicion of which one will "win" in that category , how bout you Mike , Which do you think will lead the way in fines paid ?

Best not to take too long to answer , the thread purity police are due back any minute now ......
lol! MR's of course! For the simple fact that they are more portable, can be flown by practically anyone out of the box (not talking about fpv racing) and require very minimal space for take off and landing.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:01 PM
speedracerntrixie

lol! MR's of course! For the simple fact that they are more portable, can be flown by practically anyone out of the box (not talking about fpv racing) and require very minimal space for take off and landing.

And.........what the general public veiw as the " Evil Drone "
Old 07-12-2016, 12:13 PM
init4fun

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:17 PM
init4fun

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:17 PM
Sport_Pilot

And.........what the general public veiw as the " Evil Drone "
Wow! Too cool for school!
Old 07-12-2016, 12:19 PM
Sport_Pilot

Oh now you've gone and done it , we'll now have two pages of browbeating of how complex they are and that you actually need PHDs in both programming AND aeronautics in order to be able to even take one out of the box .
No that was for building it before boxing it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.