Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Drone VS Aircraft - Mid Air Collisions

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Drone VS Aircraft - Mid Air Collisions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 01:12 PM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drone VS Aircraft - Mid Air Collisions

https://www.facebook.com/cnn/videos/10154944901146509 http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2...-ar-origwx.cnn

Looks like the FAA is starting to do some crash testing involving drones. Very interesting video footage of the testing.

From the appearance of things, it would appear that airliners are going to fair well with a direct strike. It will be even more interesting once we see testing of a drone being ingested by a turbine engine.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:11 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Elsewhere in the news the DOT has been awarded $20MM to study the effects that falling boulders have upon moving vehicles.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:55 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Elsewhere in the news the DOT has been awarded $20MM to study the effects that falling boulders have upon moving vehicles.
I missed that one, do you have a link to the details on that particular study?
Old 06-24-2016, 03:33 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Traditional hand build vehicles no doubt. Like they used to make in the good old days.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:08 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by porcia83
Traditional hand build vehicles no doubt. Like they used to make in the good old days.
I sure miss those traditional hand built vehicles from the good old days.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:10 AM
TimJ

At least one gets to see kind of damage a drone will cause to the body of an airliner.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:33 AM
WRM

What does it do to the engine?
Old 06-24-2016, 11:09 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by WRM
With a closing speed of 200 MPH+, anyone with any common sense will tell you that nothing could possibly go wrong.
[/humor]
Old 06-24-2016, 11:22 AM
TimJ

Don't know for sure just yet. The FAA hasn't release any test video of that yet. But on a side note, there are plenty of videos out there showing frozen brids being launched into running engines. Some blow up, some don't.

So it's hard to come to solid conclusion.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:42 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by TimJ
"From the appearance of things, it would appear that airliners are going to fair well with a direct strike."
I watched the video and did not see that stated anywhere. On what evidence are you basing this conclusion?
Old 06-26-2016, 04:45 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by WRM
Here's a couple pictures:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fod2.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	2169714   Click image for larger version

Name:	blade-damage.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	2169715  
Old 06-27-2016, 04:21 AM
Sport_Pilot

I have seen worse than that from bird strikes and the engine kept running despite the damage.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:30 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I have seen worse than that from bird strikes and the engine kept running despite the damage.
And I've seen less than that and the engine fail. Circumstances in which an event happens play as much in the results as the event itself. Look at the jet that ditched in the Hudson River and then look at the DC-10 that crashed in South Dakota years prior. The DC-10 had the center engine explode, taking out ALL of the hydraulic systems where, through the skill of THREE PILOTS, many of the passengers lived to tell the tail. The Hudson River plane lost both engines, taking out all of the normally used engine driven hydraulics. Again, only the skill of the pilot and, in this case, a RAT driven emergency hydraulic system made the survival of the passengers possible. Different circumstances, same result, the planes went down with a majority of the people on board surviving
Old 06-28-2016, 04:04 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
And I've seen less than that and the engine fail. Circumstances in which an event happens play as much in the results as the event itself. Look at the jet that ditched in the Hudson River and then look at the DC-10 that crashed in South Dakota years prior. The DC-10 had the center engine explode, taking out ALL of the hydraulic systems where, through the skill of THREE PILOTS, many of the passengers lived to tell the tail. The Hudson River plane lost both engines, taking out all of the normally used engine driven hydraulics. Again, only the skill of the pilot and, in this case, a RAT driven emergency hydraulic system made the survival of the passengers possible. Different circumstances, same result, the planes went down with a majority of the people on board surviving
The Hudson river jet did not get hit by one, a couple, or even several geese. It plowed through a whole flock of them. After cleaning it probably showed less damage than the prior photo's. The failure was from being completely plugged up with ground up bird parts. The DC-10 is a poor comparison because it was caused by parts failure and not from a collision. Also that engine was built before the present bird strike requirements.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:27 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Ditto. I personally examined the wreckage of an AV8 brought down by a single wrist rocket sized BB. Concord was brought down by a single ruler sized strip of metal on the runway. There's other examples out there too.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:28 AM
franklin_m

After cleaning it probably showed less damage than the prior photo's.
Let's not forget the damage caused by the crash landing in the river that would not have been necessary were it not for the engines being snuffed out by the FOD.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:30 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Ditto. I personally examined the wreckage of an AV8 brought down by a single wrist rocket sized BB. Concord was brought down by a single ruler sized strip of metal on the runway. There's other examples out there too.
That is a very old military plane. Not an airliner engine built for bird strikes. Besides won't happen for many years, bird strikes will be much more common. Grounding fire fighter planes for drones, is like grounding ambulances because of swarms of gnats.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:32 AM
Sport_Pilot

Let's not forget the damage caused by the crash landing in the river that would not have been necessary were it not for the engines being snuffed out by the FOD.
Which could have been avoided had they made planes you could actually see out of. A flock of geese would have been easy to see. Each engine had dozens of birds.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:33 AM
franklin_m

That is a very old military plane. Not an airliner engine built for bird strikes. Besides won't happen for many years, bird strikes will be much more common. Grounding fire fighter planes for drones, is like grounding ambulances because of swarms of gnats.
I'd really like to see you put that in a letter to the Governor. Since you seem to be unwilling to sign your name under such an opinion, one has to wonder if you're not confident in your expertise.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:45 AM
Sport_Pilot

I'd really like to see you put that in a letter to the Governor. Since you seem to be unwilling to sign your name under such an opinion, one has to wonder if you're not confident in your expertise.
I am a professional engineer with a license. I will not allow people to easily access my personal information and attack me. This will be common in the near future. Ok maybe not so near, but I think it will be the near future. Violence will be rampant. Starting to escalate now in fact.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:00 AM
franklin_m

I am a professional engineer with a license. I will not allow people to easily access my personal information and attack me. This will be common in the near future. Ok maybe not so near, but I think it will be the near future. Violence will be rampant. Starting to escalate now in fact.
So you are in fact unwilling to sign your name to a letter telling the Governor he was wrong. That speaks volumes.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:53 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Considering bird strikes are a far more serious issue than drones at the moment what efforts are you spearheading at the moment to mitigate bird strikes?
Old 06-28-2016, 07:12 AM
Sport_Pilot

So you are in fact unwilling to sign your name to a letter telling the Governor he was wrong. That speaks volumes.
I did not say that, however I see no good from doing so.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:14 AM
Sport_Pilot

What are you doing about all of the boat collisions? That is a real problem. But you focus on something that hasn't been a problem at all.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:01 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

So does repeating the same illogical request to put something in writing to a Governor, over and over and over when someone doesn't agree with your position. As if that somehow proves you are right, or that the letter would have any effect on anything. Useless, meaningless, and ineffective action.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.